I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I about messed up - I hope I'm not too late, but I was going to downgrade DH's CSR. His annual fee posted 11/1/23. Would it work to buy a WN flight to get the $300 credit back quickly and then downgrade? Is there anything else I need to do before having DH call?

Then I'm going to upgrade my CFU to a CSR so we'll still have one between us.

Book any refundable travel for $300. I usually do a Disney room only reservation far into the future. It should post quickly along with the travel credit. Then call and downgrade the card. My husbands fee hit Nov 1 and we just called yesterday to downgrade and the annual fee credited today. So you should have enough time.

Quick question for the AmEx experts: if I pay for a Saks purchase through Paypal, using my Amex platinum, will it still register for the $50 statement credit? About to make a purchase online, and realized my physical card is at home, so I don't have the security code.

I have A List (gifted by SW thru 12/15, all three of us got it), and was able to board before family boarding. After A60 goes through, the gate agent made an announcement for others who could board before A List, then it was A List, then family boarding, then B.

With A List, we've been getting A boarding spots even if we don't check in at the 24 hour mark. In my case, I added myself as DH's CP less than 24 hours before the flight, so I think that's why I ended up with C boarding even though he had A boarding. But with A List, I still got on the plane early-ish; it sure is a nice perk and I'll miss having it.
I did remember correctly. It appears it is hit or miss as to whether it is enforced. Not really a surprise there, but don't be shocked if it happens.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sou...mily-boarding-if-you-don-t-have-position.html

Welcome! Most of us here get both personal and business cards. A business is anything you do that earns extra money above your regular employment such as selling on ebay/Facebook Marketplace, yard sales, etc. You apply as a sole proprietor using your ss# instead of an incorporated biz tax id. Most newbies are hesitant when getting their first biz card (including me 2 yrs ago), but once you do it you realize that it opens up a lot more opportunities for earning pts.

I mention biz cards first to you because the Chase Ink Preferred would be perfect for your upcoming spend. It is currently offering 100,000 UR for $8K spend, which is normally a $15K spend. If you are hesitant about the biz card, I would recommend the AmEx personal platinum. The AmEx sign up bonuses (SUB) often vary depending on whether you use a support link, incognito browser etc. I just pulled 100K for $8,000 spsend just through regular Google. That's not a bad offer, but some of us have received 125K or even 150K pts.

If neither of the above cards interests you, maybe try for the C1 Venture X for a 75K SUB. That one has been hard for some of us to get. No rhyme or reason why they are stingy with approvals for that one. You might be more likely to get an approval since you have the Quicksilver.

Another piece of advice for beginners: most of us here are willing to pay annual fees (like the big AmEx Plat fee) because we make sure to maximize the benefits on the card (and/or by factoring it into the overall cost of "playing" this game). I encourage you to join our Reddit group where you can find support links from members here. We try to help each other out when we can by using the support link of someone who has been helpful. However, you and your husband should support each other after you get a card.

Third big piece of advice: do not add each other as authorized users on each other's cards. That will take up one of your valuable 5/24 slots. Chase only allows an individual to have 5 personal cards in 24 months. That is not just Chase cards, but any personal credit cards.
Chiming here on this also. I would also try for the Chase Ink Business Cards. (These don't count against your 5/24 count, but must be below 5/24 to Qualify. In your case, you are 0/24 so good to go.)

I would have one of you apply for the Chase Ink Biz Cash or Chase Ink Biz Unlimited. Both of these have a 90,000 SUB with $6,000 spend in 3 months. Once you get that card - that person then refers the spouse. Referral bonus is 40,000 points then you would get another 90,000 points on the other card.

So, basically you could get 232,000 UR points with $12,000 spend in 3 months. This is worth at least $2,320 if not more.

You are probably very confused with all of this. Just ask any questions here -everyone is so nice and willing to help. Want to make sure you do what is best for you.

Like @djmeredith , I too was hesitant about Biz Cards. Now, we probably have 10-12 between DH and I. Just make sure to apply with Sole Prop with using your name as Biz name and SS # instead of EIN #. Super easy. I sell on Ebay/Craiglist every once in a while. That is my Biz.

Once you realize what you can do with all the points - you will be hooked!

I would have one of you apply for the Chase Ink Biz Cash or Chase Ink Biz Unlimited. Both of these have a 90,000 SUB with $6,000 spend in 3 months. Once you get that card - that person then refers the spouse. Referral bonus is 40,000 points then you would get another 90,000 points on the other card.

My DH and I both have the Chase Biz Cash. We haven't had a SUB for awhile (needed a break) but I think I need to go for the 90k sub before its gone. My question is, can I refer him for the Unlimited or do the referrals stay in the specific card family? (Maybe I should know this but I'm out of practice, lol)

My DH and I both have the Chase Biz Cash. We haven't had a SUB for awhile (needed a break) but I think I need to go for the 90k sub before its gone. My question is, can I refer him for the Unlimited or do the referrals stay in the specific card family? (Maybe I should know this but I'm out of practice, lol)
You can refer him from the Chase Biz Cash and he can pick either the Chase Biz Cash again or the Unlimited. You can hold multiples of these cards. Chase doesn't seem to have the same rules on these ones. I have at least 4 Inks and same with DH. Too good of SUB to pass up.

What does the group think about this offer - Citibusiness AA Plat Select - 6K msr in 6 months for 75K miles; first year AF waived? Something to jump on or historically better offers? I am due to churn this one.

What does the group think about this offer - Citibusiness AA Plat Select - 6K msr in 6 months for 75K miles; first year AF waived? Something to jump on or historically better offers? I am due to churn this one.

Seems like a high spend for not many miles especially when you look at some of Barclay's offers that are just buy something and pay for it and the af.

Does the card have enough perks to help justify the 6k?

(I realize my time line is very tight here--I had covid so I'm off)
P2 opened a new SW business card to get a companion pass. I can make the spend*, but there's no close date listed (he got the physical card today). His due date is January 14. I'm guessing his close date should be mid December then right? Anyone have any DP on length of time between dates and how fast the SUB may post? We'll pay it off as soon as we hit the SUB amount. (Again, I know we're cutting it very close and we have a back up if its too late, I'm just trying to figure out if it might work).

*somehow our tithe to church got messed up and now we need a fairly large amount to meet our pledge so...silver lining?

P2 opened a new SW business card to get a companion pass. I can make the spend*, but there's no close date listed (he got the physical card today). His due date is January 14. I'm guessing his close date should be mid December then right? Anyone have any DP on length of time between dates and how fast the SUB may post? We'll pay it off as soon as we hit the SUB amount. (Again, I know we're cutting it very close and we have a back up if its too late, I'm just trying to figure out if it might work).

*somehow our tithe to church got messed up and now we need a fairly large amount to meet our pledge so...silver lining?
Usually close 6 days after due date so I'd guess his closing will be December 20.

So with a January 14 due date…the December close date would probably be 12/17…(my SW cards close 3 days after the due date unlike my UR earning cards which close 6 days after)just a warning my RR points still haven’t posted from my 11/19 statement closing…there is thread on flyer talk about a week or so delay in points posting recently

Last edited:
Something really weird happened. I logged into DH's Hyatt account, because I'm getting ready to transfer some URs to book a hotel. He should have 0 pts, but instead it shows 13,000. I transferred 13k URs back in June to his account, and then booked a hotel with those points. DH was not going on the trip, so we then contacted Hyatt and had them move the reservation to my name so I could stay without him, but it still used his points. Well, the points are now back in his account like they were never used. I have no points in my account whatsoever, no FNC that could have been used, nothing. I wasn't charged anything for the stay either. How weird. Anyone ever had this happen? It's not a lot of points, but it will cover one night for our upcoming trip, so it was surprising to find.

Something really weird happened. I logged into DH's Hyatt account, because I'm getting ready to transfer some URs to book a hotel. He should have 0 pts, but instead it shows 13,000. I transferred 13k URs back in June to his account, and then booked a hotel with those points. DH was not going on the trip, so we then contacted Hyatt and had them move the reservation to my name so I could stay without him, but it still used his points. Well, the points are now back in his account like they were never used. I have no points in my account whatsoever, no FNC that could have been used, nothing. I wasn't charged anything for the stay either. How weird. Anyone ever had this happen? It's not a lot of points, but it will cover one night for our upcoming trip, so it was surprising to find.

It happened to me before for a Guest of Honor reservation for my friend (my points, reservation for her). For one, they eventually took the points. I think it was before the stay. They never did for the other.

It's a historically high offer. Also currently the only way to get AA miles without using a 5/24 slot since they pulled the Barclays AA biz.

Make sure you're past 48 months from the last bonus since they'll approve you without the SUB.

For the last few years the offer has been consistent at 65k/4k. Last time it was at 75k it was a slightly lower spend at 5k in 5 months, but given how MSRs have been trending the increase isn't totally unexpected. That's when I picked it up, but I took most of the MSR period to meet it so I'm not eligible for another few months.

On the Citi side I don't think this card has been higher. Since there are limited ways to generate AA miles this is usually considered a great offer given that it won't interfere with 5/24. It's only recently that the Citi personal version made an offer of points that high (and with limited application windows), so if you were trying to accumulate a stash of AA, a 75k biz offer was useful even with the higher spend.

Usually close 6 days after due date so I'd guess his closing will be December 20.
Thank you!
So with a January 14 due date…the December close date would probably be 12/17…(my SW cards close 3 days after the due date unlike my UR earning cards which close 6 days after)just a warning my RR points still haven’t posted from my 11/19 statement closing…there is thread on flyer talk about a week or so delay in points posting recently
I guess the best I can do is cross my fingers. Thank you for the info.

I’m cancelling a couple of Amex biz cards soon (Biz gold and Marriott), I’ll still have a personal gold, but would like to have a no fee keeper card in the mix. Figured I should apply before I cancel the others to help avoid the pop-up. I’m thinking blue cash everyday. I just dropped to 2/24 so I’m ok using a slot.
If I eventually cancel my personal gold would I still be able to transfer to travel partners with just the blue cash everyday? Is there a better no AF card I should be going for?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter