I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I know we’ve discussed this before but I must not have been paying attention. What is the recommendation when a spouse passes away and the surviving spouse was the authorized user on the credit cards?
I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this. When my dad passed, 10 years ago, my mom pretty much refused to change anything. She said she didn’t want people knowing she was a woman living alone, but really I think she couldn’t deal with change. As for credit cards, most she just kept using and no one was the wiser. Eventually we convinced her to apply for a few herself and then cancel the cards they had together (which I’m 99% sure were my dad as primary and mom as AU because she has never applied for anything on her own to my knowledge.). She still has a few accounts (not credit cards) that list my dad as the account holder. A few things like gym membership, we canceled immediately but the company made it difficult (gyms actually never want you to cancel even when you’re dead apparently. They insisted dad had to personally call and cancel even after I told them he died and sent a death certificate.) Costco membership I recall allowed us to change the name in the account to my sister and add me as a second member a year after dad passed.

I just managed to rebook my Nashville hotel at the same place for $70 less. Now if we don't make the flight I'm only our $19. So hopefully we make it. If not, I guess it's not as big of a loss. Plus that's $70 more for chicken, LOL. Now I can PC the Delta Plat Biz to gold and be okay w/ it all.

When I PC I wonder if I get the $150 credit on the gold, since I just used the $200 on the plat. I guess we'll see :)

Currently in Paris, really enjoying myself, as usual! Staying at my ‘usual’ hotel (3rd time in a year), and while I like it, next time I’m in Paris I may move to a hotel just up the street to try something different! While I may try a new hotel, I won’t leave this area (the 9th, but only 1 block from the 1st) because I LOVE it!

Yesterday I took the RERA to La Vallee Village (the designer outlet just outside of Paris). The outlets are 1 stop before Paris Disney, which is why I’m mentioning this (there were several families on the train heading to Disney). Everything was going great until 7 or 8 stops before La Vallee Village. The train stopped at a station and told everyone to get off and that another train would be leaving the station in an hour or so (apparently someone jumped in front of the train ahead of us). You can image how many people exited the train and what did everyone do? Yup, call an Uber. I got an Uber, but the wait was 20 mins. It cost me 18.50euros to get to my destination and added an extra 40 minutes. Coming back we were 3 stations from Gare du Lyon (GdL) when the conductor told everyone to get off the train because there was a medical emergency at GdL. Of course all the announcements are in French, so you have to trust the people on the train who speak English and are kind enough to help you. Not knowing how long we’d be delayed and sitting on a PACKED train, the girl I met told me we could run up a level to catch the RERE, which would be arriving in 10 minutes. So we did just that with a few hundred other people, but we did get seats on the train. The RERE stopped not far from where the RERA does, so it worked out and only added 20 minutes to my return. The girl I was chatting with said the delays on the RER are getting worse and worse. So something to keep in mind for those who are commuting to Paris Disney for the day — leave A LOT of time to get there (I’d leave Paris 2 hours before park opening to be safe). Quite the day, yesterday was. On the plus side I got a large YSL Lulu in gray suede that I’m obsessed with, so overall a win!

I just managed to rebook my Nashville hotel at the same place for $70 less. Now if we don't make the flight I'm only our $19. So hopefully we make it. If not, I guess it's not as big of a loss. Plus that's $70 more for chicken, LOL. Now I can PC the Delta Plat Biz to gold and be okay w/ it all.

When I PC I wonder if I get the $150 credit on the gold, since I just used the $200 on the plat. I guess we'll see :)

You should. I used the $150 on the gold, and PC'd to the Plat and it is showing I have $200 to use.

I like the AA miles but I dislike Citi. Approved for personal AA card with $1500 CL. I wanted a new card to pay taxes but I’ll have to make multiple payments with that low of a CL. Now the business card I got in January, they gave me 15,000 credit limit. Uggh!

P2 approved for SW personal so CP here we come!

Now I just need a card for me because we'll finish that SUB really fast and we have taxes to pay. I won't be 1/90 until mid-April, so it needs to be non-chase. I have the platinum so I'm not eligible for the gold SUB.

ETA: nevermind

Last edited:
P2 approved for SW personal so CP here we come!

Now I just need a card for me because we'll finish that SUB really fast and we have taxes to pay. I won't be 1/90 until mid-April, so it needs to be non-chase. I have the platinum so I'm not eligible for the gold SUB, right? Do those rules apply if I try for a biz gold instead?

ETA: where does the amex pop-up show? I can get to the pre-approval page, but didn't apply yet since I don't want it without the SUB.

You won't see the pop-up until after you submit the application. If it pops up, there's an option to cancel the app.

Since you have the personal plat, you "may not be eligible" for the personal gold. You can try and see if you get the pop-up. A biz gold would not be affected. Highest SUB on that is probably 150k if you can pull it up.

I know we’ve discussed this before but I must not have been paying attention. What is the recommendation when a spouse passes away and the surviving spouse was the authorized user on the credit cards?
Thinking of you. I'm so sorry you are walking through this.

Thanks for all the kind words. My kids got to see my dad before he passed which I am grateful for. But boy, I just don’t know how to keep going.
Sending warm hugs your way. Praying that the grief doesn't overwhelm you. Grief is real. My daddy passed July 2022. Life hasn't been the same since. I keep thinking that he's going to come back. But he hasn't. I was in a fog for a long time. I was a daddy's girl to my core. He was my bestie. I'm recently emerging from it but I have a lot of triggers that just make me sad. It's ok to get counseling. Grief is real. Hopefully you have someone that allows you to just share about your dad when it hits you. It will come in all shapes, forms and sizes. Everyone grieves different. Allow yourself grace. Take it one moment at a time. Use your mental days at work if you're not feeling up to it. Hugging you again. You can do it. Left foot right foot breathe.

Thanks for all the kind words. My kids got to see my dad before he passed which I am grateful for. But boy, I just don’t know how to keep going.

My kids hadn't seen my dad in awhile (like a week or so) because I was in NOLA and we were trying to move him from the hospital to long care, etc. Kinda sad as his last day he was in great shape! He actually slept through my visit w/ him. I think he knew and didn't want to face it. We "watched" the UM game something we did often. I said "bye" instead of see you later too :( My sister had him up, doing all kinds of kids sorting toys. They FT'd his aunt and cousin. My sister flew in to give me a break, so the plan was for me to have the weekend off. I guess he knew my sister was already here and I was back from my conference, so it was time. All that said, it's been almost 1.5 years and it still doesn't feel real. My daughter says he's in Florida. It really hit me the other night again. My son just finished his varsity season of hockey. He was voted most improved player. My dad would have been so proud. Lots of hugs....

So once again, I changed everything up. I remembered I had an IHG FNC expiring 4/2. And there was no way I was going to use it. So I went to see if we could get a hotel w/ it in Nashville. We could! So then I hoped on Delta Stay and managed to get a room at Palazzo for 1 night in April and prepaid that. Then I checked and I could also get VIP tickets to Magican's Study the same night! So that sealed the deal! My BF wasn't too happy w/ a trip to Punta and Vegas in the same month, LOL. But he'll get over it, or I'll take someone else to Vegas for the night! It's only 1 night, which is fine w/ us. I saw the Magican's Study in Nov (from the back row) and it was amazing! It's a very small intimate show! I think 50 people tops! VIP is front row and they get to do some of the tricks! WOOOOO!

So now I have Nashville tomorrow, Cancun next week for 2 nights (for the kids Spring Break), Punta Cana April 5-8 and Vegas at the end of April, LOL.

So sorry you are going through this. It is so hard to lose a parent. I lost my Mom over 12 years ago. She loved to travel (Dad can take it or leave it). Wish I was into CC's and travel hacking then. Would have loved to bring her more places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter