I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. It says select merchandise and select restaurants. I want to know which ones.

Thanks

You prompted me to check if there was any reason to use my Disney Visa on our upcoming cruise, and I found pretty much the same info. Other than 20% off spa treatments (on port days... yeah, thanks...), it's "select merchandise." When I see that I always read, "Not what you're buying and not where you're buying it. We just want you to feel like you have the possibility of a good deal." Hate that.

Yes. It says select merchandise and select restaurants. I want to know which ones.

Thanks
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge & Villas:
Boma
Jiko (see restrictions)
Sanaa

Disney's BoardWalk Inn & Villas:
ESPN Sports Club
Flying Fish Cafe (see restrictions)

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort:
Shutters at Old Port Royale

Disney's Contemporary Resort:
The Wave

Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground:
Trail's End Restaurant

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa:
Citricos (see restrictions)
Grand Floridian Cafe
Narcoossee’s

Disney's Old Key West Resort:
Olivia's Cafe

Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort:
Kona Cafe

Disney's Port Orleans Resort:
Boatwright's Dining Hall

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa:
The Turf Club Bar and Grill

Disney's Wilderness Lodge:
Artist Point (see restrictions)
Whispering Canyon Cafe

Disney's Yacht Club Resort:
Captain's Grille
Cape May Cafe

Disney's Hollywood Studios®:
The Hollywood Brown Derby (see restrictions)
Hollywood & Vine (see restrictions)

Epcot®:
Biergarten Restaurant (see restrictions)
Coral Reef Restaurant (lunch only)
Le Cellier Steakhouse (lunch only)
Rose & Crown Dining Room (lunch only)

ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex:
ESPN Wide World of Sports Grill

You prompted me to check if there was any reason to use my Disney Visa on our upcoming cruise, and I found pretty much the same info. Other than 20% off spa treatments (on port days... yeah, thanks...), it's "select merchandise." When I see that I always read, "Not what you're buying and not where you're buying it. We just want you to feel like you have the possibility of a good deal." Hate that.
I know. Right? I never use this card because it simply does not offer any worthwhile benefits. But when we go to WDW next year, my DL AP won't get us our 15% discount on food or 20% off merchandise there like I get at home. So I might break out the card just for the nominal discount, but I'd like to know when and where I can use it.

Mr.PTato,
It doesn't have anything listed for the merchandise discounts. Doesn't say which stores. I even checked the footnote and it doesn't list them.

Mr.PTato,
It doesn't have anything listed for the merchandise discounts. Doesn't say which stores. I even checked the footnote and it doesn't list them.
Receive 20% off entire purchase at Joffrey's coffee/tea kiosks throughout Walt Disney World® Resort, at Tea Traders Café by Joffrey's, and online at Joffreys.com with code: VISABEANS. Plus, receive 10% off select merchandise purchases of $50 or more at the following Walt Disney World® Resort Operating Participant merchandise locations including Basin®, Basin White®, Chapel Hats, Good Fortune Gifts and House of Good Fortune, kidsHeritage and Marrakesh Emporium Arts & Crafts.

As far as actual Disney locations, it usually excludes shipping, personalization, and gift cards. I think I have always received 10% off everything else.

Receive 20% off entire purchase at Joffrey's coffee/tea kiosks throughout Walt Disney World® Resort, at Tea Traders Café by Joffrey's, and online at Joffreys.com with code: VISABEANS. Plus, receive 10% off select merchandise purchases of $50 or more at the following Walt Disney World® Resort Operating Participant merchandise locations including Basin®, Basin White®, Chapel Hats, Good Fortune Gifts and House of Good Fortune, kidsHeritage and Marrakesh Emporium Arts & Crafts.

I'm talking about this:

10% Off Select Merchandise3
Receive 10% off select merchandise purchases of $50 or more at select locations at Walt Disney World® Resort.

You can enjoy this discount any time during normal Theme Park hours. Just use your valid Disney Visa Card or Disney Rewards® Redemption Card and mention this offer.

And the footnote says all about where it is NOT good, but no where that it IS good. The fact that it is "select merchandise purchases" means not everywhere. So I"m looking for a definitive list of where it is good.

3. Merchandise Savings at Walt Disney World® Resort

A $50 minimum pre-tax single transaction merchandise purchase is required to receive discount. Must use your valid Disney Visa Card and/or Disney Rewards Redemption Card as payment form and mention this offer. Discount is not valid on previous purchases or on purchases of ticket media, gift certificates, Disney Gift Cards, Park Admission, Arcades, Disney Dollars, tobacco, alcohol, Outdoor Vending (e.g., in-Park balloon vendors, glow vendors), Add-a-Dollar (Wildlife Conservation Fund), postage stamps, rentals (e.g., strollers, ECV), personalization including D-Tech Me figures, Disney PhotoPass® online purchases and Memory Maker, framed Disney Dollars, Artist Sketch Program, original or consignment art, select limited editions, select specialty items, purchase-with-purchase offers, newspapers/periodicals, books, videos, DVDs, CDs, sundries, pantry/prepared foods, digital/video/disposable cameras, film, consumer electronics, National branded fragrances, treatments and cosmetics, Swarovski® Crystal, select collectibles, handmade items, special orders, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and Pirate League packages, phone, email or mail order purchases, shipping or taxes. Discount is not available at Cast Connection, Disney’s Character Premiere, Disney’s Character Warehouse or Walt Disney World® Resort Operating Participant locations and any other locations or kiosks that are not owned and operated by the owners of the Walt Disney World® Resort, except for Basin®, Basin White®, Chapel Hats, Good Fortune Gifts and House of Good Fortune, kidsHeritage, Marrakesh Emporium Arts & Crafts, Joffrey’s coffee/tea kiosks and Tea Traders Café by Joffrey’s. Offer and offer elements including, but not limited to, participating locations and items, are subject to availability and additional restrictions, and may change or be canceled without notice. Not valid in combination with other offers, discounts or promotions. Separate admission may be required. Discount is for personal use only and may not be transferred or used to purchase merchandise with the intent to resell the merchandise.

I'm talking about this:

10% Off Select Merchandise3
Receive 10% off select merchandise purchases of $50 or more at select locations at Walt Disney World® Resort.

You can enjoy this discount any time during normal Theme Park hours. Just use your valid Disney Visa Card or Disney Rewards® Redemption Card and mention this offer.

And the footnote says all about where it is NOT good, but no where that it IS good. The fact that it is "select merchandise purchases" means not everywhere. So I"m looking for a definitive list of where it is good.

3. Merchandise Savings at Walt Disney World® Resort

A $50 minimum pre-tax single transaction merchandise purchase is required to receive discount. Must use your valid Disney Visa Card and/or Disney Rewards Redemption Card as payment form and mention this offer. Discount is not valid on previous purchases or on purchases of ticket media, gift certificates, Disney Gift Cards, Park Admission, Arcades, Disney Dollars, tobacco, alcohol, Outdoor Vending (e.g., in-Park balloon vendors, glow vendors), Add-a-Dollar (Wildlife Conservation Fund), postage stamps, rentals (e.g., strollers, ECV), personalization including D-Tech Me figures, Disney PhotoPass® online purchases and Memory Maker, framed Disney Dollars, Artist Sketch Program, original or consignment art, select limited editions, select specialty items, purchase-with-purchase offers, newspapers/periodicals, books, videos, DVDs, CDs, sundries, pantry/prepared foods, digital/video/disposable cameras, film, consumer electronics, National branded fragrances, treatments and cosmetics, Swarovski® Crystal, select collectibles, handmade items, special orders, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and Pirate League packages, phone, email or mail order purchases, shipping or taxes. Discount is not available at Cast Connection, Disney’s Character Premiere, Disney’s Character Warehouse or Walt Disney World® Resort Operating Participant locations and any other locations or kiosks that are not owned and operated by the owners of the Walt Disney World® Resort, except for Basin®, Basin White®, Chapel Hats, Good Fortune Gifts and House of Good Fortune, kidsHeritage, Marrakesh Emporium Arts & Crafts, Joffrey’s coffee/tea kiosks and Tea Traders Café by Joffrey’s. Offer and offer elements including, but not limited to, participating locations and items, are subject to availability and additional restrictions, and may change or be canceled without notice. Not valid in combination with other offers, discounts or promotions. Separate admission may be required. Discount is for personal use only and may not be transferred or used to purchase merchandise with the intent to resell the merchandise.

Like I had said, its pretty much available anywhere...the last 5 years with the card and I have never had any issues with not getting a discount as long as the purchase was greater than $50, with the couple exclusions I had mentioned. This being in the parks. DS will be spotty but doesn't hurt to ask. World of Disney Store is also included.

OK...switching gears to an entirely different credit card question...

I have an Amex Gold rewards card that I have over 70k points at. I was planning on transferring this to Delta to purchase our airline tickets to MCO for our 2018 cruise/WDW trip. This will combine with the nearly 30k points I have on Delta currently for a total of 100k points. I also have AU set up for the Amex everyone in our travel party.

I have been watching the prices. The flights at their cheapest, and most of the time in the year are only 25k points round-trip, which will be just right for purchasing for the 4 of us. However, some times of the year, the flights are as much as 30k, 32k, or 37.5k each. They are not yet available for booking, so I don't know how much they are going to be, but it is the first and 2nd weeks of march 2018, which is the beginning of the spring break season, so they could be higher than the 25k each.

So I discovered the other day that I can transfer the points from amex to Delta for each of my authorized users. They all have Delta rewards accounts with a couple thousand miles each in them. My husband has 9k in his, so this could help bridge the gap.

Has anyone done the transfer points to authorized users before? I want to make sure it is going to work before I risk those points. They don't have Delta cards, but they have the Delta Skymiles account with miles in it. This will be going from Amex Gold rewards to Delta Skymiles.

Thanks,

Does anyone know what stores and restaurants at WDW get a discount when paying with the Chase Disney Visa? I can't find a list anywhere. Thanks!

There is a free app called MousePerks+ that works really well for seeing all discounts including the Disney Visa. (It also includes TIW, AP, DVC). The guy that runs it does an awesome job of keeping it current.

Would you guys help me with a little strategy?

DH and I both got CSR cards when they were offering the 100k bonus. I currently have 114k points on my card, DH just met his $4k spend so he'll have 100k at the end of the billing cycle. He has another 25k on another Chase card that he is hoping to transfer to his CSR. We spend a reasonable amount on both of these cards on work-related travel expenses (DH travels about 25% of the time), so I'm expecting that we will have ~250k points total by June or so.

So here's the strategy help request - I would like to take my family of 5 from Virginia to Hawaii for two weeks in August, using these points as judiciously as possible while having a nice vacation. I have already purchased tickets from Seattle to Honolulu, because I got them for an awesome price ($310 each). We will be there for 14 days. I understand I'm going to have to pay for some of this trip & my points won't cover it all, but I want to get the most bang for my buck. So I'm wondering if anyone can offer some strategic advise on these questions:
  • I need to get us to Seattle - is the best way to do that to go through the CSR portal, or transfer the points to another airline to do that?
  • Would you prioritize using points to book flights first or book lodging? I know I will run out of points eventually - just not sure what gives me the best bang for my buck.
  • I know I can use the points for other things, but it seems like paying for the actual travel/lodging (rather than using them for gift cards for food, etc) is the best use. That's correct, yes?
Thanks in advance for your help - I am definitely not a travel guru, and this process is confusing!

April
It's so confusing!! Alas worth it. Idk east coast to Seattle flights but are you renting a car in Hawaii? We got a great price on a premium car 9 day rental through Chase UR portal. My process: first checked National with the CSR Visa Infinite Code, this gave me the highest price of the 3(!). Next checked National with other contracts (airlines, etc.) and came in just under the Visa contract price (Mousesavers has various contract codes and coupon codes for all the major car rental chains). Finally I checked the UR portal and even if I paid straight up with cash (not points) we would save almost $80 off the price of the premium car from National with all the discount codes I could find. I checked all the details a dozen times sure something was off but it was all the same. After some research I found this was not uncommon with car rentals in Hawaii apparently? Personally we paid with UR points because we already had our flights and didn't want to put out anymore cash for the trip.

The only way to know if you should spend your money on points or hotels is to price everything out. Tedious yes but really the only way for you to know what will work best for your airports and your lodging preferences and you can see if flights for your dates are even available to be purchased with points. The cash price on points CSR value worked out like this: 25,000 UR = $375 UR portal redemption = 25,000 miles. If you can find flights for under $375 you should book using UR points- that much I can say for sure for you!

ETA: someone did mention the Korean Air route but you're too far along to take much advantage of that. It's possible it could have gotten you from east coast to Hawaii for 25K miles roundtrip but that ship has sailed for you (and availability can be hard to find so don't be hard on yourself about missing this). Now, it can get you a domestic roundtrip for 25K UR miles IF there is mile saver type award availability on Delta by transferring miles to Korean Air at 1:1 ratio. You can check by creating a Korean Air account and then searching online for award availability. THIS ONLY WORKS IF YOUR FAMILY IS IMMEDIATE otherwise Korean air won't allow you to book flights for them with your Korean miles. You will need to provide Korean Air with birth certificates, marriage certificates and passports. Seriously it's a crazy process but it can be worth it if you can't find availability elsewhere and ticket costs are prohibitive in cash $$$ prices.

Last edited:
There is a free app called MousePerks+ that works really well for seeing all discounts including the Disney Visa. (It also includes TIW, AP, DVC). The guy that runs it does an awesome job of keeping it current.
I cannot find mouseperks in the apple App Store.

It's so confusing!! Alas worth it. Idk east coast to Seattle flights but are you renting a car in Hawaii? We got a great price on a premium car 9 day rental through Chase UR portal. My process: first checked National with the CSR Visa Infinite Code, this gave me the highest price of the 3(!). Next checked National with other contracts (airlines, etc.) and came in just under the Visa contract price (Mousesavers has various contract codes and coupon codes for all the major car rental chains). Finally I checked the UR portal and even if I paid straight up with cash (not points) we would save almost $80 off the price of the premium car from National with all the discount codes I could find. I checked all the details a dozen times sure something was off but it was all the same. After some research I found this was not uncommon with car rentals in Hawaii apparently? Personally we paid with UR points because we already had our flights and didn't want to put out anymore cash for the trip.

The only way to know if you should spend your money on points or hotels is to price everything out. Tedious yes but really the only way for you to know what will work best for your airports and your lodging preferences and you can see if flights for your dates are even available to be purchased with points. The cash price on points CSR value worked out like this: 25,000 UR = $375 UR portal redemption = 25,000 miles. If you can find flights for under $375 you should book using UR points- that much I can say for sure for you!

Impressive!! I have got to try this in the future!

Please pardon my lack of understanding, but what isn't recon and what would I say when I call?
Ignore if already answered but I didn't see a reply... I think you mean what is recon? :) If so... it's credit card lingo for the Reconsideration department. This is the department that will "reconsider" your credit card application. Some banks have very active reconsideration departments and you have a shot at getting a card you were denied for other banks are known to practically never reconsider applications. I only know about Chase so here's my experience (it was quite the drama I detailed it here on the thread in a play by play, helped me deal with the emotions it involved!): I applied for the CSR (Chase Sapphire Reserve) and was told 7-10 days by the phone status line. After much research I decided it probably meant I was denied and I decided to call Recon. I found the number online and gave it a call. I called because I suspected the reason for denial was an Authorized User account that pushed me over Chase's strict 5 new credit cards in 24 months = hard denial rule so I opened with I applied for this cad and think I might have been denied because of an authorized user account that I have no responsibility for. The first rep said they wouldn't reconsider me. I called back right away and the 2nd rep and I talked for awhile, got a manager, and then said no they wouldn't reconsider. I called back about 8 hours later and got someone who was willing to take the AU account out of consideration and he re-evaluated my application and recommended I be approved (a superior had to sign off on me apparently, that's not always the case). In my learning about "Recon" I also learned about "HUCA". Hang Up, Call Again. Some companies keep track of how many times you call, some don't. Nobody I talked to mentioned that they saw that I had already called.

I'd research as much info as you can online about the specific company you're looking at a recon for and that will give you some idea of what to say.

Following up on the subject of lounges denying entry to Priority Pass due to space issues, The Points Guy has this post: http://thepointsguy.com/2017/02/priority-pass-denying-entry/

Seems like a lot of comments about this happening.
Thanks for posting this! I had no idea this was happening & I plan on using SEA & LAX Alaska lounges. Apparently only in my dreams. I hope everyone who gets denied entry to these lounges lets their credit card companies know how upset they are. And that lounges are denying PP members when only 20% or half full? That's seriously messed up. I would be much happier simply being told there are no PP lounges than promised lounges I can't get access to! When PP holders are excluded so often the lounges have typed up a sign?! Alaska needs to break with PP or figure out a better method cause this ain't it! *steps down from soap box*

I'm new to this thread, but I have the CSR with Priority Pass, so this is interesting (in an unpleasant way!) to hear. Apologies if this question has already been discussed in this thread, but I have a somewhat related question. I have United lounge access because I have a MileagePlus Club credit card. Does anyone know if I can use my membership to access a United lounge even if I'm not flying United? I know they ask you to show your boarding pass when you check in to the club, but I'm not sure if this is to make sure you are flying United or just to check your identity. I'm thinking there could be a situation where I'm not flying United but get shut out of Priority Pass due to these "space limitations" and there is a United club nearby...

Thanks for posting this! I had no idea this was happening & I plan on using SEA & LAX Alaska lounges. Apparently only in my dreams. I hope everyone who gets denied entry to these lounges lets their credit card companies know how upset they are. And that lounges are denying PP members when only 20% or half full? That's seriously messed up. I would be much happier simply being told there are no PP lounges than promised lounges I can't get access to! When PP holders are excluded so often the lounges have typed up a sign?! Alaska needs to break with PP or figure out a better method cause this ain't it! *steps down from soap box*

recent DP for u.
2/16/17 1:00PM LAX Alaska Lounge - success.
2/16/17 5:30PM SEA Alaska Lounge Concourse D - Denied. Told to visit A. didnt want to walk there. It was a hot time though.
2/22/17 9:00PM ANC Alaksa Lounge - Success.

ppl are suggesting waiting a year since they believe most ppl will drop their CSR before the AF hits. Rumors are that Alaska may leave PP, considered that they are merging with Virgin. Virgin lounge @ LAX is closing. :\ I call this a Semi Priority Pass... :P

edit: also, flyertalk has someone saying that they denied ppl with PP but allowed ppl to purchase a 1 day pass.

I'm new to this thread, but I have the CSR with Priority Pass, so this is interesting (in an unpleasant way!) to hear. Apologies if this question has already been discussed in this thread, but I have a somewhat related question. I have United lounge access because I have a MileagePlus Club credit card. Does anyone know if I can use my membership to access a United lounge even if I'm not flying United? I know they ask you to show your boarding pass when you check in to the club, but I'm not sure if this is to make sure you are flying United or just to check your identity. I'm thinking there could be a situation where I'm not flying United but get shut out of Priority Pass due to these "space limitations" and there is a United club nearby...

You can almost certainly get in to the United Club as long as you are flying out that day. I have used United Club day passes (that I got through my MilesPlus Explorer card) on days when we were flying ANA and Delta. They checked our boarding passes and didn't seem to care which airline we were flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter