I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My card anniversary is December 25th. Are the elite nights going away for the old card? Or will I get them in December for 2019...or how exactly does this work if I decide to focus on Marriott starting 2019?

I have not upgraded my card and don't intend to until after my free night hits. I have a use for the free night as a category 2 if nothing else falls out and just that will save me almost $100 for the night after my $85 fee, so no present need to upgrade. Then, upgrade as soon as my night is in my account should keep me on track for my free night coming each year at the same time.

I think you should continue to get your anniversary 15 elite nights, I haven't read that they are going away. But starting in 2019, you will only get 15 elite nights maximum toward status each calendar year no matter what combination of cards you have. For example, this year I'll be getting 15 from Marriott + 10 from SPG (personal & Biz) for 25 nights toward status. But next year (if I keep all three cards), I'll only get 15 nights toward status.

I also haven't upgraded my card, TBH I don't think I will. I think you're right in that you should get your free night in December (for me I got the certificate within a day or two of the card anniversary) and if you upgrade then, you should continue receiving it each year at the same time like you say.

@miztressuz, did you go for the CIC?

I did. I'm still at 30 days on the status line but I kinda figured I wouldn't know anything until they open for business next week. I didn't expect an instant approval given I only lowered the last CL on Wednesday. So if their instant approvals look at CR only nothing is reflected there yet. It'd need a further look and I'm not expecting that on a weekend. I'm at 49% total CL to income now and they were willing to give me 61% before, so what it comes down to is timing with the apps/CL reductions I guess.

I did. I'm still at 30 days on the status line but I kinda figured I wouldn't know anything until they open for business next week. I didn't expect an instant approval given I only lowered the last CL on Wednesday. So if their instant approvals look at CR only nothing is reflected there yet. It'd need a further look and I'm not expecting that on a weekend. I'm at 49% total CL to income now and they were willing to give me 61% before, so what it comes down to is timing with the apps/CL reductions I guess.

Good luck! I have my fingers crossed for you!

I think if “too many recent inquiries,” “too many accounts have been opened recently,” “too many accounts open,” “too much available credit,” or “not enough time has passed since your last account with us was opened” are issues, you’ll just be denied as all are common reasons for denial. If you’re approved, great! In either case, you’ll probably want to lay off Chase for the next 4-6 months, the longer the better.

Denials are far more common; shutdowns are kind of an extreme remedy for extreme behavior. The newest shutdown @SouthFayetteFan cited has a guy who did the Sapphire double dip in January, got approved for the CIP in February, then went for the CIC two months later, denied, didn’t heed the warning signs, and applied for another Chase card the following month.

The 100k offer on the Marriott is tempting, but I feel like 100k is an offer that comes and goes on the Marriott product periodically.

Last edited:
Oops

OOPS

First Chase Biz card attempt. All my Chase cards: Freedom, Disney, IHG, SW, CSR, CSP. 4/24 on most CR's. Before double dip last month my last Chase card was Dec '11.

Ok, no probs, Mortagage and HE loan. :thumbsup2 I'm not going anywhere for another 10 years. :faint:

Should be no probs, CR with the most inquiries has 3 in the past year. But now 2/3 are Chase.

Not a problem for me for a while yet. This was my last app for a while. I'd like the Marriott card but I'm hoping it stays at 100k until the end of the year and I might try then, after 5-6 months. That would put me at 5/24 and then I'm out until Jun '19. If we can manage another MSR before the Marriott, which I doubt unless the unexpected happens, it'll be on P2.

But I'm not any more worried than I was just applying anyway. It's a calculated risk and I knew that going in. But it fits with my spend timing so I decided to go for it.

Good luck! I have my fingers crossed for you!

I think if “too many recent inquiries,” “too many accounts have been opened recently,” “too many accounts open,” “too much available credit,” or “not enough time has passed since your last account with us was opened” are issues, you’ll just be denied as all are common reasons for denial. If you’re approved, great! In either case, you’ll probably want to lay off Chase for the next 4-6 months, the longer the better.

Denials are far more common; shutdowns are kind of an extreme remedy for extreme behavior. The newest shutdown @SouthFayetteFan cited has a guy who did the Sapphire double dip in January, got approved for the CIP in February, then went for the CIC two months later, denied, didn’t heed the warning signs, and applied for another Chase card the following month.

The 100k offer on the Marriott is tempting, but I feel like 100k is an offer that comes and goes on the Marriott product periodically.
We have not had a single shut down report from a DISchurner so I think we as a group are doing a good job staying in the safe zone. @miztressuz - if you happen to get denied for the CIC then that's a sign to probably cool it for awhile :) But on the surface you don't appear to be taking a huge risk there. My "general rules" are more like guidelines anyways...I'm just being cautious, lol!
blogger-image-1782337503.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I think you should continue to get your anniversary 15 elite nights, I haven't read that they are going away. But starting in 2019, you will only get 15 elite nights maximum toward status each calendar year no matter what combination of cards you have. For example, this year I'll be getting 15 from Marriott + 10 from SPG (personal & Biz) for 25 nights toward status. But next year (if I keep all three cards), I'll only get 15 nights toward status.

I also haven't upgraded my card, TBH I don't think I will. I think you're right in that you should get your free night in December (for me I got the certificate within a day or two of the card anniversary) and if you upgrade then, you should continue receiving it each year at the same time like you say.
Do you know how the new card will work with Elite nights? Do tgey get awarded on card anniversary? DH just got this card (hasn't arrived yet).

I've read through Reddit but I'm not sure how best to do this. We're going to Disney next month and we were going to stay offsite but I've decided I need to stay onsite.

I need to book 2 rooms at Pop, it's available right now with a discount on Disney's site. I want to add the dining plan to one of them. I want to use UR to pay. I don't have enough time I don't think to get a room with dining (ticketless package) transferred before the final balance is due. Check in date will be June 24. So I'm thinking I need to at least book the one room directly with Chase.

If I call the travel/cruise dept, they should be able to get me the discount I see on Disney's site even though it's not coming up when I search the UR booking?

Or, can I book both rooms on Disney's site, then call to transfer them over, then add the dining plan once it's transferred over? I read on Reddit that dining can be added without tickets, but I'm not sure if that's after transferring or at the time if booking.

Do you know how the new card will work with Elite nights? Do tgey get awarded on card anniversary? DH just got this card (hasn't arrived yet).

I think you're right, the new card's elite nights should be awarded in 2019 on the card anniversary.

I've read through Reddit but I'm not sure how best to do this. We're going to Disney next month and we were going to stay offsite but I've decided I need to stay onsite.

I need to book 2 rooms at Pop, it's available right now with a discount on Disney's site. I want to add the dining plan to one of them. I want to use UR to pay. I don't have enough time I don't think to get a room with dining (ticketless package) transferred before the final balance is due. Check in date will be June 24. So I'm thinking I need to at least book the one room directly with Chase.

If I call the travel/cruise dept, they should be able to get me the discount I see on Disney's site even though it's not coming up when I search the UR booking?

Or, can I book both rooms on Disney's site, then call to transfer them over, then add the dining plan once it's transferred over? I read on Reddit that dining can be added without tickets, but I'm not sure if that's after transferring or at the time if booking.

I think I’d start by calling chase and seeing if they can book exactly what you want at the same price as the dis site.
If so great.
If not, book through Disney and then transfer it over.
I haven’t tried yet, but others have transferred in under 30 days. Not sure how long it takes...seems I remember reading it took about a week. Can’t remember who it was that posted their story.

ETA: Disney has a ticketless package...unless that changed. So you should be able to book that through them for sure if chase can’t do it. Then transfer.

My dh was denied for the CIC. Got the letter in the hubbub of grad stuff so I've not been able to get on and chat with y'all about it. He was denied for 1) too new of business (2 years) 2) not enough business revenue ($500) and 3) too much available credit (i lowered limits only a couple of days before applying so definitely not enough time).

According to the letter, his credit score was 833. Yet they deny :confused3

I'm wondering if this means he should lay off chase. He is 3/24 (will be 2/24 next month) and last Chase card was CIP in 10/17 (before that was CSR 3/17) so it isn't like he's been hitting them hard at all. But I obviously want to behave and avoid any shutdown.

Last edited:
SO...not been on for days...and no energy to catch up! Please, do tell, if anything terribly exciting happened! I want to know!! Missed you all!

Got my 'first born' graduated. She also turned 18yo this past week, so lots of biggies. Graduating her was so surreal. Not just as a mom but as a homeschool mom. I began the homeschool thing with her in K and it was to be for ONE YEAR. One year and then we would figure out what we were going to do for school because, no way, no how, was I homeschooling all the way through. But one year turned into two and three and so on. It's been the best decision our family has ever made and I wouldn't change it for anything. It's the road less traveled but the one that has made all the difference for us. I don't think it's for everyone. It's hard, and not to say that other moms couldn't do it, but I really believe if you are meant to do it, you kind of know it inside. You feel 'called', and if you feel that, then you and your children will thrive. Otherwise, the struggle is real. So, I'd never push it on people cause I just don't think it is for all.

I thought I'd share a couple of pics. And then I remembered that I can never figure out how. I miss photobucket when it was free. So, if I figure it out, I may throw some up.

I've still got family in town the next few days but the big stuff is done!! So glad. It's been a lot planning all this. I know all you parents who've already graduated kids can relate. WOW, I had no idea before!! Now, I get it. I totally get it!!

SO...not been on for days...and no energy to catch up! Please, do tell, if anything terribly exciting happened! I want to know!! Missed you all!

Got my 'first born' graduated. She also turned 18yo this past week, so lots of biggies. Graduating her was so surreal. Not just as a mom but as a homeschool mom. I began the homeschool thing with her in K and it was to be for ONE YEAR. One year and then we would figure out what we were going to do for school because, no way, no how, was I homeschooling all the way through. But one year turned into two and three and so on. It's been the best decision our family has ever made and I wouldn't change it for anything. It's the road less traveled but the one that has made all the difference for us. I don't think it's for everyone. It's hard, and not to say that other moms couldn't do it, but I really believe if you are meant to do it, you kind of know it inside. You feel 'called', and if you feel that, then you and your children will thrive. Otherwise, the struggle is real. So, I'd never push it on people cause I just don't think it is for all.

I thought I'd share a couple of pics. And then I remembered that I can never figure out how. I miss photobucket when it was free. So, if I figure it out, I may throw some up.

I've still got family in town the next few days but the big stuff is done!! So glad. It's been a lot planning all this. I know all you parents who've already graduated kids can relate. WOW, I had no idea before!! Now, I get it. I totally get it!!

I have to say, I have always had incredible respect for families who home school. Your children are very fortunate.

My dh was denied for the CIC. Got the letter in the hubbub of grad stuff so I've not been able to get on and chat with y'all about it. He was denied for 1) too new of business (2 years) 2) not enough business revenue ($500) and 3) too much available credit (i lowered limits only a couple of days before applying so definitely not enough time).

According to the letter, his credit score was 833. Yet they deny :confused3

I'm wondering if this means he should lay off chase. He is 3/24 (will be 2/24 next month) and last Chase card was CIP in 10/17 (before that was CSR 3/17) so it isn't like he's been hitting them hard at all. But I obviously want to behave and avoid any shutdown.

I’m so sorry again for your (husband’s) denial. I think reasons 1 and 2 are BS and seem like they were thrown in there to puff up the denial because we know Chase approves applications with less history and less revenue. It seems like an issue with too much credit extended. IIRC, you were concerned that DH’s total CL was way over 50% of income and reduced them like two days before applying. Maybe DH really was over what Chase was willing to extend in credit and your reductions needed more time to reflect (vs. those who reduced credit just days before an application, but it didn't matter because credit line to income wasn't a deciding factor).

It looks like DH got 1 Chase card in the last 12 months, and that card was over 6 months ago. That's kind of the optimal recommended gap between Chase business card applications. I know you were also concerned that there's not been enough time since DH opened his CIP in 10/17, but that wasn't cited as a reason for denial of the CIC. So based on DH's card count and history and the reasons stated in the denial letter, I think he's safe to try again in a month. I think we'll have a better idea later today, and definitely in the next few days, how Chase's business card lineup will look like, i.e., if/when the CIU is coming out and with how big of a bonus, and if the CIC is going away or staying around and with what bonus. (As I'm writing this, Chase still hasn't pulled the 50k UR offer on the CIC.) That should help with your decision moving forward. Meanwhile, I wonder if DH can increase his online sales a little?

Congratulations! My DD has her preschool graduation ceremony this week! But that doesn't even compare. Parenting is hard work and I want too often for DD to grow up faster, but then I realize how much she's already grown up every time our photo stream plays on our tv. I can't imagine DD as a teenager, much less graduating high school and becoming an adult.

I think the big churning news is Amex increased signup offers on their no fee personal and biz cards:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amer...rs-card-no-annual-fee-card-75000-point-offer/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/hilton-honors-american-express-business-card-125000-point-offer/

@afan is on her trip to Disneyland Paris. @calypso726 is on her ABD China vacation and posted pics from the Virgin Atlantic Skyclub Lounge at JFK and her two in-air suites on Singapore Airlines (she has an ongoing trip report in the ABD thread). @jhoannam just got back from WDW. I think @StephPlum is on her Moab trip by now. (I'm sorry if I'm missing anybody -- you all have so many things going on!)

As for pics, I use imgur. It's free, easy to upload to, and provides easy to click and copy links for posting in different formats.

Last night I was playing around on the Southwest site, and it turns out I could get round trip tickets to SNA for 10k points.... and I got pretty excited about a weekend for Pixar Fest. And then I remembered that date is too early for Pixar Pier to be open. Which leaves the question: Why the heck did they start Pixar Fest in April if Pixar Pier isn't opening until the end of June? :sad2:

Yes @wendow use imgur. Medium or large thumbnails and just copy bb code.

And @Lain you can’t remember everyone’s cards and their trips too! That’s too much.

We are in WDW and did DVC tour Monday. If we bought the whole contract direct and not resale Disney will take multiple cards for different amounts over a period of a couple months. Not going to lie it is a little tempting for that! My husband joked that he was surprised I didn’t just get out my wallet and start slapping down cards right then and there. :)

I was updating my wedding TR, and looking back through my planning thread for it and came across this post of mine. I thought I'd share here, edited a bit, because I felt you guys would appreciate it, especially the bolded.

I know I've mentioned this a few times, but we are on a budget. I know budget means different things to different people, and here's ours:
$15,000
Now every time we look at our little budget spreadsheet, Zack likes to mention he'd like to see that number get lower. I point out that it's like 109% budgeted for on my wedding spreadsheet, he says, but you've budgeted for 100% attendance on food and stuff (I'd rather be over to start with, we're expecting about 75% attendance for our 207 person list). Then he asked if we'd be able to do the Disneymoon for $5000.

No.

Haha. Maybe if we stayed at a value resort and cut corners and got some credit card rewards for flights and ate birdseed for two weeks... We're not going to be crazy, but I'd like to eat at a few of the nice places and such because it will be our HONEYMOON. I grew up staying at the cheapest, cleanest, comes with a pool/free breakfast so I am good with budget travel, but I'd like to splurge a little for this. We have our whole lives together for budget travel! I know it's because we have some life plans, like kicking around house shopping, and evil things like student loans. But those things are also why we decided to veto the expensive place! (which was coming in closer to $25,000 and there were still budget ideas in there).

Ok, we ended up spending $6500 at the end of the day on our trip. But it ended up being almost a week longer than I was planning at that time, we spent $1000 on 16 nights in hotels (and that was supposed to be more like $750 but since we were under our $7000-$7500 we saved the Barclay Arrival points we were going to use to erase the $250), and our retail cost was something crazy like $13,000.

I'm so glad I ended up here trying to plan our dream honeymoon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter