I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dh was denied for the CIC. Got the letter in the hubbub of grad stuff so I've not been able to get on and chat with y'all about it. He was denied for 1) too new of business (2 years) 2) not enough business revenue ($500) and 3) too much available credit (i lowered limits only a couple of days before applying so definitely not enough time).

According to the letter, his credit score was 833. Yet they deny :confused3

I'm wondering if this means he should lay off chase. He is 3/24 (will be 2/24 next month) and last Chase card was CIP in 10/17 (before that was CSR 3/17) so it isn't like he's been hitting them hard at all. But I obviously want to behave and avoid any shutdown.

My denial letter was similar, yet it only listed two reasons:
1) business too new - 1 year (started in January so I rounded up to a full year)
2) insufficient business revenue - $2000 - estimated based on my current numbers

My letter didn't mention a thing about too much available credit. However, I still think that's what ultimately got me denied. I should have preemptively lowered some CLs. I'm way over 50% of income with my Chase personal + biz CLs.

I used two different emails and only one was selected. However, I have my tickets in hand and can't wait to experience the show with my family.

In case anyone else is looking for Hamilton tickets, the recently-released dates are not totally sold out. Just out of curiosity (I saw it last Christmas, and even though I would love to see it again, that's not at the top of the list for anytime soon), I looked up tickets for both New York and Chicago and direct-sale tickets (as opposed to the resale tickets) are still available, at least for the dates I checked.

My denial letter was similar, yet it only listed two reasons:
1) business too new - 1 year (started in January so I rounded up to a full year)
2) insufficient business revenue - $2000 - estimated based on my current numbers

My letter didn't mention a thing about too much available credit. However, I still think that's what ultimately got me denied. I should have preemptively lowered some CLs. I'm way over 50% of income with my Chase personal + biz CLs.

I think it's CL too. My dh was over 50% (not a ton over...I wish I had done the exact math, instead of rough mental...). Are you planning to try again in 30 days if the CIC is still hanging around?

I am trying to figure out our next couple of cards. We are in 2 player mode and are not AU on each other cards. I am working on spend on SPG Business and have about $2,000 left until Mid July so that will be no problem.

Here is what DH Has from past 24 months and credit limits. May need to lower some first.
1. August 2016 - CSR/Now Freedom - $34,000 Limit
2. April 2017 - Barclay Card - Closed
3. July 2017 AMEX SPG Business - $5000 Limit
4. January 2018 - SW Business - $5,000 Limit
5. January 2018 SW Plus - $30,000 Limit

So should be 3/24 -thinking about CIP - would love the 80,000 UR Points. Don't think we would be candidate for shut down. Should I lower the limits of the $34,000 and $30,000 cards.

Here is what I have and not sure if DH should get 2 cards in a row or if he should get one then me:

1. November 2016 CSR/Now Freedom - $9,000 Limit
2. May 2017 Marriott Personal - $5,000 Limit
3. June 2017 SW Business - $6,500 Limit
4. June 2017 SW Plus - $30,000 Limit
5. December 2017 - AMEX SPG Personal $18,000 Limit
6. February 2018 - Marriott Business - $5,000
7. April 2018 - AMEX SPG Business - $15,000

Also have Disney which has been opened since it came out with $5,000 Limit and CSP with $19,000 Limit - these are both past 24 months. So, I am at 4/24 right now.

So, we basically have UR Points. SPG/Marriott Points and SW Points. Would love more UR Points and open to other suggestions. We are planning on new carpeting shortly and building a new deck and getting new deck furniture so that could be a spend easily then in the fall will have some College Payments so that would be another spend. So, trying to figure out the next couple of cards. And if I should lower limits on anything. Thanks.

CIP makes the most sense for you and your DH. Also, if you are at about 50% of your income in total credit that Chase has extended to you I’d reduce them. Chase doesn’t care about the amount you have with Amex.

That sucks on the fraud. I thought so too with the Chip thing, but after my Discover was compromised the last time something on the call had me thinking about the charges and I realized I still swipe about half the time as I use the chip. Almost all restaurant charges are still swiped, and like 95% of gas pumps still swipe. And then there's the online shopping. So since it was my Gas and Restaurants card, when we went back over the charges everything in the last statement was a swipe!
In a bit of irony, there almost seems to be more fraud now than before the chips :confused3 For me, pre-chip, card info was stolen once. Post chip, I've had like 2 or 3 fraud charges on a few different cards. (and not to mention the couple of card number changes from data breaches to prevent fraud... and yet I got fraud on that card after the changes.) And I haven't really changed my charging habits. It's why I kinda gave up trying to prevent it and just go with it, may as well make life easier or get discounts while I can since they'll find a way to steal it anyway. But I digress...

At least this might make your DH carry a back up card now! I can't imagine only carrying one CC. It'd be like only taking your favorite child to Disney. First how to pick your favorite and second I think the rest of them would feel left out. At least when I have them all with me it's like The Claw and they all feel like they have an equal chance of being chosen :)

Im starting to like a lot of the digital payments things, like shell with chasepay where you dont have to insert your card anywhere but it authorizes on your phone, u just have to confirm with the code. no need to swipe. I also purchased a Samsung S6 recently to use at these terminals that swipe as well. One thing neat is that the card # are scrambled. you see my card # and then my fake card # underneath it. so far it worked well at a grocery store when i used my discover card. I may continue to do this until it is no longer working.

I am trying to figure out our next couple of cards. We are in 2 player mode and are not AU on each other cards. I am working on spend on SPG Business and have about $2,000 left until Mid July so that will be no problem.

Here is what DH Has from past 24 months and credit limits. May need to lower some first.
1. August 2016 - CSR/Now Freedom - $34,000 Limit
2. April 2017 - Barclay Card - Closed
3. July 2017 AMEX SPG Business - $5000 Limit
4. January 2018 - SW Business - $5,000 Limit
5. January 2018 SW Plus - $30,000 Limit

So should be 3/24 -thinking about CIP - would love the 80,000 UR Points. Don't think we would be candidate for shut down. Should I lower the limits of the $34,000 and $30,000 cards.

Here is what I have and not sure if DH should get 2 cards in a row or if he should get one then me:

1. November 2016 CSR/Now Freedom - $9,000 Limit
2. May 2017 Marriott Personal - $5,000 Limit
3. June 2017 SW Business - $6,500 Limit
4. June 2017 SW Plus - $30,000 Limit
5. December 2017 - AMEX SPG Personal $18,000 Limit
6. February 2018 - Marriott Business - $5,000
7. April 2018 - AMEX SPG Business - $15,000

Also have Disney which has been opened since it came out with $5,000 Limit and CSP with $19,000 Limit - these are both past 24 months. So, I am at 4/24 right now.

So, we basically have UR Points. SPG/Marriott Points and SW Points. Would love more UR Points and open to other suggestions. We are planning on new carpeting shortly and building a new deck and getting new deck furniture so that could be a spend easily then in the fall will have some College Payments so that would be another spend. So, trying to figure out the next couple of cards. And if I should lower limits on anything. Thanks.

your CIP app should be good... but once you get that card, id avoid chase for probably 6 months though. at 3/6, its really pushing it.
have u thought about other programs, another card that seems to be the rage right now is that new business card at amex that earns 2x on everything.

I think it's CL too. My dh was over 50% (not a ton over...I wish I had done the exact math, instead of rough mental...). Are you planning to try again in 30 days if the CIC is still hanging around?

I'll work on lowering my CLs over the next couple of days. I'm currently at 60% with just Chase, so I'm sure that's the issue even though it's not listed on my denial letter.

Yes, I definitely want this card, so I plan to try again in 30 days if it's still available at the higher offer. Guess since I have time to burn I'll just keep a lookout for info on the CIU as well and decide what to get. DH will be 4/24 in July, so I'm planning to refer him for the CIP. That's pretty much all I have planned at this point, as we are still working on his SPG biz MSR. Was a bit shocked when the first statement cut and I realized we already put over $2700 towards it.

Im starting to like a lot of the digital payments things, like shell with chasepay where you dont have to insert your card anywhere but it authorizes on your phone, u just have to confirm with the code. no need to swipe. I also purchased a Samsung S6 recently to use at these terminals that swipe as well. One thing neat is that the card # are scrambled. you see my card # and then my fake card # underneath it. so far it worked well at a grocery store when i used my discover card. I may continue to do this until it is no longer working.

Funnily enough, my Freedom card wasn't compromised until after I added it to Google Pay on my new phone. It had been in the Softcard app before Google bought them, but I had removed it and the card number changed once or twice before adding it to the new phone. Probably coincidence but that card's been compromised twice since I did that so I always wonder if there's a hack out there for it. My age old question is, what's easier to hack now your card or the app your card is in? In theory the apps should be more secure for now, but someone with enough time on their hands could hack them just as easily as skim your strip eventually.
So that's why I gave up and just figure I won't do anything blatantly obvious to get it stolen but won't hold back on using the apps now. I resisted Chase Pay for a while, partly because it didn't have the extra security like NFC did but mainly because Chase never advertised it to me, but with the 5% freedom quarter I decide full steam ahead. I'm not liable for the fraud and if Chase wants to take 5-10 days to send me a new card I'll happily use someone else's card in the meantime. (goof balls :rolleyes:)

I'm loving Samsung Pay so much. And the only reason I tried it was Q1 Freedom, even though I didn't actually have a Freedom... It's so handy. I like that the card numbers are scrambled too.

@miztressuz I have all of my cards set to send a text if the charge is over $50. That's my security, because I figure more likely something fraudulent will be big. I also check out YNAB everyday so I would see anything weird as soon as it posts (that's how I saw a fraudulent charge on my Marriott card...) But yup, full steam ahead here. If there is fraud it's annoying, but it's not going to stop me from using my cards on the apps.

your CIP app should be good... but once you get that card, id avoid chase for probably 6 months though. at 3/6, its really pushing it.
have u thought about other programs, another card that seems to be the rage right now is that new business card at amex that earns 2x on everything.[/QUOTE]

I am going to reduce some credit. Do you think it would be best to hold off on CIP until maybe July - so it would be after 6 months of opening the 2 SW Cards?

In case anyone else is looking for Hamilton tickets, the recently-released dates are not totally sold out. Just out of curiosity (I saw it last Christmas, and even though I would love to see it again, that's not at the top of the list for anytime soon), I looked up tickets for both New York and Chicago and direct-sale tickets (as opposed to the resale tickets) are still available, at least for the dates I checked.
Is this on ticketmaster? how much are the tickets? My MIL wants to join us so if I can find tickets for our dates at the same price I can buy her one.

Last edited:
I just checked ticketmaster and the tickets listed are way more than I paid. In fact the exact tickets for my date are $436 plus fees per ticket. During the presale, I paid $199 plus $11 in fees per ticket.

I wanted to share my experience on trying to transfer a room reservation at Universal to the Chase Cruise and Tours Department.

I booked an AP rate on the Universal website for $265 a night versus the regular rate of $374 (traveling in August). I had to put a one night deposit down but felt that was worth it to get the lower rate and then wanted to transfer to Chase and pay the balance with UR's. I called the Chase Cruise and Tours number listed on the reddit thread, 855-234-2542. The first rep I spoke with said it could not be done. Time to HUCA! Second time I got Terrence, at extension 8118. He said it could be done, it was just a slightly longer process than transferring from Disney. He put me on hold and called over to Universal. He then came back and said I needed to call the "rooms only" line 800-232-7827, and give them permission to transfer the reservation to the T.A. "Loyalty Travel". That went smoothly and I called Terrence back to let him know it was done and he could call them again.

This is where we ran into an issue. He was unable to take over the reservation because, according to Universal, I only had a "placeholder" on the rate. My balance isn't due until I check-in, at which time I need to show my annual pass to confirm the rate. If I had booked under the regular rate, it could transfer. However, I don't see why anyone would want to do that. if I were paying the regular rate, I could just book on the portal myself and not have to jump through all these hoops! Terrence did suggest I cancel my booking with Universal and he could try to book the AP rate if it is showing up and I call him. That rate isn't showing up anymore for the times I can go. I'll have to see if my two rooms go back into AP rate inventory after I cancel. I'm pretty much expecting to book with points at the regular rate though.

Just figured I would share my experience in case this helps anyone!

ETA: This is in reference to Loews Royal Pacific Resort

I wanted to share my experience on trying to transfer a room reservation at Universal to the Chase Cruise and Tours Department.

I booked an AP rate on the Universal website for $265 a night versus the regular rate of $374 (traveling in August). I had to put a one night deposit down but felt that was worth it to get the lower rate and then wanted to transfer to Chase and pay the balance with UR's. I called the Chase Cruise and Tours number listed on the reddit thread, 855-234-2542. The first rep I spoke with said it could not be done. Time to HUCA! Second time I got Terrence, at extension 8118. He said it could be done, it was just a slightly longer process than transferring from Disney. He put me on hold and called over to Universal. He then came back and said I needed to call the "rooms only" line 800-232-7827, and give them permission to transfer the reservation to the T.A. "Loyalty Travel". That went smoothly and I called Terrence back to let him know it was done and he could call them again.

This is where we ran into an issue. He was unable to take over the reservation because, according to Universal, I only had a "placeholder" on the rate. My balance isn't due until I check-in, at which time I need to show my annual pass to confirm the rate. If I had booked under the regular rate, it could transfer. However, I don't see why anyone would want to do that. if I were paying the regular rate, I could just book on the portal myself and not have to jump through all these hoops! Terrence did suggest I cancel my booking with Universal and he could try to book the AP rate if it is showing up and I call him. That rate isn't showing up anymore for the times I can go. I'll have to see if my two rooms go back into AP rate inventory after I cancel. I'm pretty much expecting to book with points at the regular rate though.

I am not sure it is worth it to cancel and try to rebook if you can not get the AP rates. Otherwise you can just cash out UR points for about the same value as you will get to transfer it to Chase. Universal seems to be very weird with their AP rates. Maybe Disney is the same, but I am not familiar. Last year I put in a 4 night reservation as soon as AP rates came out. I wasn't sure on the dates but knew it would be close. In the end I just needed 3 nights and I called to cancel just one of the nights and they wouldn't let me. They said they had no more AP rates. I argued that I already had AP rates and I just needed to cancel one of them but they said they had to cancel the whole reservation and rebook and then there would be no AP rates. I said but I have AP reservations so if I cancel then you should still have my AP rooms I can have back. Nope, does not work that way. So we stayed 4 nights instead of 3.

I'm loving Samsung Pay so much. And the only reason I tried it was Q1 Freedom, even though I didn't actually have a Freedom... It's so handy. I like that the card numbers are scrambled too.

@miztressuz I have all of my cards set to send a text if the charge is over $50. That's my security, because I figure more likely something fraudulent will be big. I also check out YNAB everyday so I would see anything weird as soon as it posts (that's how I saw a fraudulent charge on my Marriott card...) But yup, full steam ahead here. If there is fraud it's annoying, but it's not going to stop me from using my cards on the apps.

Of all my fraud charges, only the last one was over $50. One card was Starbucks for 21, another was Chipotle for 11, another was gas I think for 32; stuff like that. The last time my Freedom was compromised was $110 and some change at Giant. Just some datapoints for you. But for all of them the CC company spotted it first and alerted me before I even knew about it, so with those scary algorithms that are surprisingly accurate, I figure now if you want me to use your app I'll use it to get some points and let you figure out the rest!

Thanks for posting this. It just confirms my decision not to try and transfer my AP rate booking at Portofino.

I am not sure it is worth it to cancel and try to rebook if you can not get the AP rates. Otherwise you can just cash out UR points for about the same value as you will get to transfer it to Chase.

@vanjust14 These are my thoughts too. We got a better rate on BC than Disney was offering or the Chase site. I went with that and just cashed out points to cover the cost. I'd keep checking your options, of course, but that may be the best deal.

My gift card purchase didn't even go through. The charge was pending and then dropped off. I logged into my Sam's Club account online and it still says processing. I called customer service today and they said all I could do was wait it out or put in a ticket to cancel the order. I just went with canceling. Not sure if I should try again or not. Maybe I will wait to see if anyone gets the credit first.

ETA: ha @pillow we posted at the same time with the same issue!

My gift cards were in my hands within 24 hours...before the charge even posted. I have also received my order of pantry items which was a few days later. Both charges have now posted. Hopefully the credit will be along soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter