I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got back a few days ago from our 2 week Grand Canyon/Southwest vacation using UR points for rental car and 10 of 13 hotel nights plus SW points and companion pass for flights for 5! Had a great time and finally caught up again on this thread. Still working on our Marriott spend and thinking about which card to get next. My husband was not happy with all of our recent CC sign ups, but seeing is believing after our trip. I think he is more comfortable with it now.

In both cases, it's really to your benefit changing the character of your debt to unsecured debt on a credit card, and Visa could end up holding a lot of bad debt that they have no collateral for and will have to argue should be nondischargeable.

Probably the reason they're cracking down. I thought it was weird too, but who am I to argue? :)

Probably the reason they're cracking down. I thought it was weird too, but who am I to argue? :)

Just when some recent DPs are reporting Plastiq coding as 3x for mortgages when using CIP... :worried:

I hope this change doesn't affect rent payments. My property management company allows for rent payments by credit card directly through their portal, so I have that as an option to meet the minimum spend on my new CIP if Plastiq won't process. But I'd rather give Plastiq one more try, especially if rent is coding again as 3x on CIP.

Just when some recent DPs are reporting Plastiq coding as 3x for mortgages when using CIP... :worried:

I hope this change doesn't affect rent payments. My property management company allows for rent payments by credit card directly through their portal, so I have that as an option to meet the minimum spend on my new CIP if Plastiq won't process. But I'd rather give Plastiq one more try, especially if rent is coding again as 3x on CIP.

I don't think it will affect rent payments, as you said, there's a good reason why mortgage companies wouldn't want to take the added risk of accepting credit card payments even if they're coming through an intermediary. I'm going to try the CIP as soon as I get it. If I could get one mortgage payment out of it I'd be a good part of the way to hitting the minimum spend. The extra points would be an added bonus. I got 3X on my CSR last month. What stings even more about this is that I had 2 referrals last month, so I still have FFD in my account that are kind of worthless if I can't pay the mortgage.

I don't think it will affect rent payments, as you said, there's a good reason why mortgage companies wouldn't want to take the added risk of accepting credit card payments even if they're coming through an intermediary.

It's not that the mortgage companies don't want to accept a check from Plastiq; they're getting paid! It's probably the credit card company doesn't want you using unsecured credit that they've extended you to pay down a secured debt like a mortgage because the credit card company will be left holding debt that is not secured by collateral and potentially dischargeable in bankruptcy if things go south.

I'm guessing Visa -- out of all the credit card companies -- issued new guidelines because I'd imagine they've taken the brunt of these kinds of payments in the last two months when Plastiq was coding mortgages as 3x travel on Visa's CSP/CSR/CIP/and USB AR.

I'm going to try the CIP as soon as I get it. If I could get one mortgage payment out of it I'd be a good part of the way to hitting the minimum spend. The extra points would be an added bonus. I got 3X on my CSR last month. What stings even more about this is that I had 2 referrals last month, so I still have FFD in my account that are kind of worthless if I can't pay the mortgage.

Good luck! I was trailing you with the CIP application so I'm following right along after you. I haven't even gotten a welcome email for my CIP yet, and times like this I wish I had requested expedited delivery.

It's not that the mortgage companies don't want to accept a check from Plastiq; they're getting paid! It's probably the credit card company doesn't want you using unsecured credit that they've extended you to pay down a secured debt like a mortgage because the credit card company will be left holding debt that is not secured by collateral and potentially dischargeable in bankruptcy if things go south.
Oh yes, I meant the CC company, not the mortgage company.

Good luck! I was trailing you with the CIP application so I'm following right along after you. I haven't even gotten a welcome email for my CIP yet, and times like this I wish I had requested expedited delivery.
Thank you! DH just texted me to say the card came today. I'm going to give it a shot tonight when I get home. If I can't use it for the mortgage, I'll have to come up with something else to pay with Plastiq so I don't let those referral FFDs go to waste.

OH. NO. I just saw on Reddit that Visa isn't allowing Plastiq to process mortgage payments anymore. I have no idea how I'm going to meet the CIP min spend now, unless I start MSing, which I really don't want to do.

Gift cards. Lots of gift cards.

Will AmEx allow Plastiq for mortgage payments? I guess I should have asked that earlier. Just got a new Platinum card and was planning to use my mortgage payments to help meet the minimum spend. I've got some other alternatives to meet the minimum spend, but really wanted to use my mortgage for it.

Will AmEx allow Plastiq for mortgage payments? I guess I should have asked that earlier. Just got a new Platinum card and was planning to use my mortgage payments to help meet the minimum spend. I've got some other alternatives to meet the minimum spend, but really wanted to use my mortgage for it.
So far, it's only Visa who specifically asked Plastiq to stop processing payments to mortgage companies. You should be fine.
Doctor of Credit says it's official, so I don't know that there's any point to my trying it tonight since my mortgage is with CitiMortgage. No chance of them missing that one when they cut off mortgage payments!

Catching up here as I've been gone for our week at WDW. We definitely had a blast and I'm happy with my redemption of my CSR points on our 7 night stay at POR. We decided to forego trying to book last minute flights on SW and drove instead. Even I was starting to shudder the more I thought about trying the whole booking only outgoing flights and waiting to book returns while we were there.

However, DH has definitely decided we are flying next time around. We upgraded our tickets to APs on our arrival day, so we're already planning our next visit for October. We'll have CP thanks to that extra 10K RR points Chase will credit DH, so I'll be stalking flights over the next few days to be sure we get something booked this time around.

Now to start thinking about what card will be next up for me. I didn't end up pulling the trigger on the AMEX Plat when I was able to pull the 100K bonus, so I might see if I can still get that to come up. DH and I discussed the Swan and Dolphin, so maybe SPG will be in my future. Still want to try for the CIP, but I have to wait until July for that one.

So far, it's only Visa who specifically asked Plastiq to stop processing payments to mortgage companies. You should be fine.
Doctor of Credit says it's official, so I don't know that there's any point to my trying it tonight since my mortgage is with CitiMortgage. No chance of them missing that one when they cut off mortgage payments!
I'm going to have to do this with my new Amex ASAP before they change too. I'm trying to meet spend on 2 cards. $4k on CSP ($1500 complete) & 2k on AMEX (like $50 so far)

Re the whole no Visa to pay mortgages via Plastiq change, I'd also add (especially for those here who don't follow the chatter on Reddit) that people were abusing the heck out of Visa's cards that were coding mortgage payments as 3x travel.

Some people were taking out tens of thousands of $ (or more) HELOC to manufacture a mortgage debt to show Plastiq, then making payments on the HELOC using CSR/CIP via Plastiq, pocketing 3x UR points, and paying off their credit cards with money from the HELOC and eating the small transaction fee. This is why we can't have nice things.

Last edited:
Re the whole no Visa to pay mortgages via Plastiq change, I'd also add (especially for those here who don't follow the chatter on Reddit) that people were abusing the heck out of Visa's cards that were coding mortgage payments as 3x travel.

Some people were taking out tens of thousands of $ (or more) HELOC to manufacture a mortgage debt to show Plastiq, then making payments on the HELOC using CSR/CIP via Plastiq, pocketing 3x UR points, and paying off their credit cards with money from the HELOC and eating the small transaction fee. This is why we can't have nice things.
Some people are jerks. (Wish I could say what I really think)

OH. NO. I just saw on Reddit that Visa isn't allowing Plastiq to process mortgage payments anymore. I have no idea how I'm going to meet the CIP min spend now, unless I start MSing, which I really don't want to do.

Gift cards. Lots of gift cards.

gift cards aren't your only option on meeting minimums. You can also prepay for a lot of your bills which should help u make minimums. Another way to do it is to buy cryptocurrency. You can virtually make points fee free if you do it right.

Some people are jerks. (Wish I could say what I really think)

welcome to the world of churning! :D

You can also prepay for a lot of your bills which should help u make minimums

This! I have my 3 utilities paid off until fall/next year which allowed me to meet minimum for one card. I just paid our homeowners insurance which took care of 80% of my current card needing minimum spend(had I remembered to put flood insurance on I'd be done-ugh). I call the pool people and put that on a card, too. My prior spa I'd put $1000 down as credit and it was a declining balance (no more smudged nails from trying to get out payment with fresh mani!). Those are some of my ways to get minimum spend :)

Does anyone have experience with CSR's price protection benefit?

I filed a price protection claim for a price drop on an iPad mini over a month ago. About a week after I filed the claim, eclaimsline requested additional documents which I provided. I followed up with them almost two weeks ago and they told me my claim was in final review, but today the claim still remains pending. To add to all that, Best Buy has a sale this week on the iPad for an even lower price than the one on my claim. I emailed eclaimsline about that, but I'm thinking of just submitting a new claim since I'm still within 90 days of my purchase.

Any thoughts? Please tell me it shouldn't be this hard to use a benefit!

I haven't verified by trying it myself but I definitely have read commenters saying that you can definitely submit another claim when you see an even lower price for an item you already did a price protection claim on.

The one time I've file a claim it was dead simple. The eclaimline website was where I submitted it and in a week I had an approval. It was a small amount.

gift cards aren't your only option on meeting minimums. You can also prepay for a lot of your bills which should help u make minimums. Another way to do it is to buy cryptocurrency. You can virtually make points fee free if you do it right.

welcome to the world of churning! :D

I spent way more time than I'm willing to admit reading about cryptocurrency last night and I still don't understand it. Got a simple explanation of how you use it?

I spent way more time than I'm willing to admit reading about cryptocurrency last night and I still don't understand it. Got a simple explanation of how you use it?

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Yes, @Albort please. I second the request. :-)

Anyone have experience with Hilton? Trying to book for next summer, which has just opened up and no points rates available at all. Do they become available later? Can you convert a reservation made for a cash price to points? Or am I just out of luck & wont be able to use points at all.

g You can also prepay for a lot of your bills which should help u make minimums. :D
hmmm this made a light bulb go on over my head.
I am currently enrolled in the Disney Visa 4% on utilities promotion. I won't come near to hitting their max allowed but if I pre-paid some of my utilities I could accrue more Disney Rewards before the promo ends. I guess this would be allowable by Chase Disney Rewards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter