I Love the Little Fishies. Don't You?

What a lovely last day.

Funny the phenomenon that strikes us all to take as many photos of the ship as feasible that last day. :thumbsup2 For me, panic strikes and I want to remember every inch of the ship.

Love the photo of you with all of the characters. Very cute.

That sunset is stunning, Thank you for sharing.

Captain Fabian is by far our favourite. Together with CD Jimmy they are a great team. They both were on the 2013 WBPC and this one. I hope for next May too though that is pushing things a bit. Maybe it would feel a bit stale for 3 cruises. They are so much fun.

I cannot imagine ever getting bored of those two. Captain Fabian definitely pushed Captain Henry of his pedestal for me.

What a lovely last day.

Funny the phenomenon that strikes us all to take as many photos of the ship as feasible that last day. :thumbsup2 For me, panic strikes and I want to remember every inch of the ship.

Love the photo of you with all of the characters. Very cute.

That sunset is stunning, Thank you for sharing.

Actually, normally I don't do this. I tend to take photos of the ship throughout the cruise. This was our 7th cruise on the Wonder and I did not see the urge to take photos, until it suddenly hit me on the last day that this may be the last time we see the Wonder in her present form.

Corinna

Day 17

When Mickey called that morning, he was not entirely truthful. He told me that he was glad we were there when all he wanted at that stage is to get us off the ship. Our wonderful cruise had come to an end. We got up and put the last few things into my handbag and Graham's carry on, got ready and then we left our cabin for the last time. We managed to say goodbye to our stateroom host and then we headed to Shutters to pick up my photo CD.

On our last three cruises, the CD had been ready for collection at 22:00 on the last night and I had hoped this would be the case on this cruise, too. Shutters opens at 7:00, which was also the time we were supposed to meet at the Walt Disney Theater as we had asked for early debarkation. In the end everything worked out fine. We got to Shutters and there were only very few people around. There was only one person in front of us so it did not take us long to collect our CD. I found out after the cruise that we had been very lucky to get it that morning. Apparently they had some issues with burning the CDs on that cruise and a number of families on our Facebook cruise had their CDs sent to their homes 4 to 6 weeks later.

Even though we were about 15 minutes behind schedule when we got to the Walt Disney Theater, this was still closed. We headed outside and watched the world go by for a bit. When we got back inside at around 7:30, they were just starting to let people in. We sat down and shortly afterwards there was an announcement that the ship had not been cleared yet and there would be a delay of approximately 30 minutes. We decided to go downstairs and stayed out of the way in the atrium. I had never quite understood what they meant by clearing the ship. In the day and age of electronic communications, I figured that they could just send the manifest ahead after they left the previous port and know exactly who is on the ship. After this morning, I have a better understanding on what is involved. A seemingly endless line of crew from all departments was leaving the ship and then came back. It was clearly not everybody, but it was a fairly large group and we saw uniforms from every department on the ship. It looked like a certain percentage of crew had to go through immigration in order for the ship to be cleared.

Once the last crewmember was back on board, they closed the doors again for about 5 minutes and then they opened them and announced that people carrying off their own luggage could now leave. This was also a new experience. The line for that was probably longer than for the Princess Gathering and it took a fair while before this cleared. Finally they announced that people with Ariel tags could disembark. We were in his group. This line was also pretty impressive, but it moved reasonably quickly. Soon we had our Key to the World cards swiped one last time and we were off the ship. We were then directed to the immigration line for none US citizens. I was really surprised that this was longer than the line for US citizens. This moved pretty quickly and soon it was our turn. I was surprised that we got a new stamp. At other ports they just had checked for the stamp when we entered the USA for that trip and sometimes signed this. I have to admit that I rather like the fact that I have a stamp from San Diego in my passport.

Next up was baggage claim. It looked all rather nice and organized when we came down from immigration. The luggage was lined up in neat rows according to the luggage tags - or so we thought. The area for the Ariel tags was straight ahead when we came down the escalator. I found Graham's suitcase straightaway, but there was no sign of my two pieces of luggage. I overheard somebody saying that there was another area with Ariel luggage tags. I headed over there and found my suitcase. My Kipling backpack was not in either of those areas. I approached one of the members of staff in this area and she helped me trying to find my backpack. In the end Graham found it in yet another area. With all our luggage reunited with us, we made our way to the exit and towards the taxi queue. There were quite a few people waiting for a taxi, but they directed everybody to a numbered bay to wait. We did not have to wait very long before a taxi arrived. There is a lot of building work going on around the port, which restricts the number of taxis that can enter. I heard once we were back home that some of the people who got off the ship later waited over an hour for a taxi. So we made the right decision to get off the ship as early as possible.

Despite all the hold ups, we were at the hotel by 9:30. We were staying at the Handlery Hotel. We had stayed there in 2006 when we were on a road trip through the southwest of the United States and liked it. One of the advantages that the hotel has is that it has a free shuttle to all the major tourist attractions. It also located relatively close to SeaWorld, which was a major draw for me. As we pulled up to the hotel, we were welcomed and our luggage was taken inside. As we were so early, our room was not ready, but they offered to store the luggage for us. They also booked us onto the respective shuttles we needed. Originally we had planned to do a hop on hop off tour on the Old Town Trolley that day and then do our separate things on the Sunday, but the previous day we have decided that it would be nicer to spend the last day of our holiday together. So Graham was planning to go to San Diego Zoo that day and I was headed to SeaWorld. Graham's shuttle was due to leave at 10:30 and mine at 11:00. We were advised that breakfast was still being served, but neither of us was really hungry. We took a seat in the lounge. I was hoping that I could check my emails, but even though I had been given a password, it kept telling me that too many people were logged in. Instead I decided to head to the concierge desk to see if we could buy our tickets there to save time when we got to our respective parks. They could not sell us tickets, but had some money off vouchers. I was however able to book the Old Town Trolley for the next day. I had to pay $5 deposit per person. The rest we would pay at their ticket office in Old Town, but our deposit would get us booked on the shuttle to Old Town that picks up from outside the hotel. With this taken care of, I went back to join Graham.

We went outside about 10 minutes or so before Graham's shuttle was due. I was going to head back inside once he had left. However, the driver told me that he was only going to come back to pick me up anyway so I may as well come along for the ride and he would drop me off once we dropped off everybody else at Balboa Park. I was up for this and did not mind a little drive around San Diego at all. Unfortunately it did not quite work out as planned. We dropped off everybody else at Balboa Park and then the driver radioed the hotel to make sure that there was not anybody else for SeaWorld. There was not, but somebody wanted to go to Old Town. So we headed back to the hotel, picked him up and dropped him at Old Town before finally heading over to SeaWorld. The shuttle drop off is now a good distance away from the entrance, but I did not mind this. I just made sure to look for landmarks so that I would find my way back and then I headed off towards the entrance.

As I approached the entrance I hit a snag. In order to receive my $5 discount, I had to get my ticket from one of the ticket windows. The line for those was huge, but there was no one at all waiting for the self-service machines. In the end I decided that it as not worth the $5 to queue for anything between 30 minutes to an hour. I got my ticket from the self-service machine and headed towards the park. I had read that they had added a new attraction to the entrance plaza earlier this year: Explorer's Reef. Explorer's Reef consists of various retail outlets plus 4 touch pools containing stingrays, sharks, crabs and cleaner fish. Although the theming was a little too in your face for my liking and there is rather a lot of focus on the retail outlets, I liked the concept of the touch pools. I was not he only one as the area was busy throughout the day.

My next stop was Dolphin Point. This is where I got the first glimpse that SeaWorld San Diego has changed a lot and not necessarily for the better. Dolphin Point used to be called Rocky Point Preserve and used to be very similar to Dolphin Cove at SeaWorld Orlando. It was a great place to watch the dolphins playing and at certain times of the day, you could feed the dolphins. There was also a separate area in a different area of the park where you could do dolphin interactions. Well, they had rebuilt Rocky Point Preserve to allow for dolphin interactions to take place there. This meant that they added a lot of ledges that people participating in the dolphin interactions could kneel on. This meant that there are hardly any areas anymore where the dolphins can come close to the wall. They have stopped the feeding times. I am not sure if this was as a result of the changes or if they had stopped this first. I was a little disappointed about this. They did however have a free programme called Dolphin Connections at regular intervals during the day and this sounded interesting so I decided to come back for this later.

The main reason for coming here that day was Blue Horizons. I absolutely love this show and have seen it at SeaWorld Orlando many times. Actually, if I would do nothing but watch this show repeatedly when I am at SeaWorld, I would be happy. So when I heard that they were going to add this show at SeaWorld San Diego, I knew at some stage I had to go and see it, especially as they include their pilot whales in the show. So when I found out that our cruise would end in San Diego rather than Los Angeles, this was a done deal. I still had a little time before the show started so I got myself a Coke. Once I had finished this, I headed over to the stadium. I got there relatively late, but despite the lines at the entrance, I got a perfect spot right in the centre of the stage and high enough up that I was outside the soak zone. I was rather glad that I had not got there any earlier. Unlike the stadium in Orlando that has some roof over it, this is completely in the open and the sun started to beat down on us. Not long after I had sat down, the show started. It did not take long for me to realize that everything was not like expected. The first time I realized that something was amiss was when Aurora the Bird Spirit of the Sky did not fly. They also did not have the bungee jumpers in the storm sequence. I have watched a video from the show in San Diego from February 2013 where they did have those elements and really wonder why they changed it. It just feels like a shadow of its sister show in Orlando. They do have two things so that they do not in Orlando. The storm sequence features two of the pilot whales. I am hoping that the show in Orlando will include their pilot whales at some point in the future. They also use a sand hill crane instead of an Andean condor in that sequence and watching this bird fly past was truly breathtaking. There was also another added bonus. I got to see Bullet. Bullet is a rather special dolphin as she is half common dolphin and half bottlenose dolphin. When I did my Trainer for a Day at SeaWorld San Diego in 2006, I got to swim with her right at the stadium. So I was definitely glad to see her.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nNtLzB]

As I left the stadium, I asked one of the staff at the show if this had been a modified version of the show and she assured me that this was the normal show. I thanked her and was on my way. On my way out, I came across a Pick a Pearl kiosk. This is something I always do at Walt Disney World and I figured it may be a nice thing to do here. I am so glad that I did. I ended up with a beautiful blue pearl. I had been hoping for one of those for years. I had it set in a Sterling silver dolphin pendant.

Once I had my pendant, I continued exploring. Next up were the sea lions. I have to admit that is an area that I normally pretty much bypass or at the outside spend very little time in. However, with our encounter with Litibu still fresh in my memory, I decided to stop. I was glad I did. I was thoroughly amused by the sea lions. At one point I even decided to get some fish to feed them. Even though there were a ton of greedy birds around, I managed to get every single fish to a sea lion. Other people were not quite so lucky. After all my fish had gone, I washed my hands and then spent another while watching the sea lions and taking some photos.

By then it was nearly time for the Dolphin Connection presentation. I got a little bit lost on the way, but that meant that I got to see the flamingoes and the stingrays on the way. I did make it back to Dolphin Point in time. Dolphin Connection is actually a fantastic idea and I quite like to see this offered at SeaWorld Orlando as well. I managed to get a decent spot even though I was quite late. They brought out 3 dolphins and their trainers. They introduced the dolphins and the trainers. One of them was another old friend, Dottie, who also happens to be the mother of my favourite dolphin Dash, who lives at Discovery Cove. They told us a little about dolphins in general and about the specific dolphins that were involved in this session. They then had a relationship session before bringing the dolphins over so that people could touch them. I managed to touch the one closest to me a couple of times. As much as I enjoyed the session, there was one thing that did both surprise and shock me and that was how little idea the staff in that area had about the dolphins that were not in their immediate area. On one of my Marine Mammal Keeper experiences at SeaWorld Orlando I got to interact with a young female dolphins called Bugs. She was a real character, but was moved to SeaWorld San Diego shortly afterwards as she had lost her mum and there were a number of young females around her age at San Diego so they thought this would work out better for her. So I asked one of the education staff if she knew if Bugs was still in San Diego. I don't think she even knew anything about the dolphins right in front of her. She did however call over one of the trainers and she had no idea either. Another trainer who overheard the conversation thought that Bugs may be in the backstage area, but was not sure either. That was a real shame.

After the Dolphin Connection, I moved on. I wanted to go and see the killer whales. I was not interested in the show, but wanted to head over to the underwater viewing area. I was very lucky when I did my Trainer for a Day in 2006 that I got to interact with two killer whales: Corky and Ulises. Corky in particularly had stolen my heart. Over the years, she had not only acted as foster mother to a number of rejected and orphaned young killer whales, but she seems to think that she is also mother to most of the trainers. She has such a beautiful personality. I was glad to hear that they both are still at SeaWorld San Diego and it did not take long after I got to the underwater viewing area until Corky came swimming by. She is very curious and kept watching who was on the outside of the tank. The member of education staff that was in that area was extremely knowledgeable and obviously very passionate about the animals. While SeaWorld still employs people like her, all is not lost. I also found out some good news. Even though Ulises had been the dominant male at SeaWorld San Diego, he had never fathered a calf. I had read a while ago that he had fathered a calf at Marineland Antibes through artificial insemination. He is also going to have a calf at SeaWorld San Diego early next year through natural means.

Eventually I had to leave the killer whales. I headed over towards Wild Arctic. On the way came the next unpleasant surprise. The used to have a manatee exhibit at SeaWorld San Diego. The manatees had been rescued by SeaWorld Orlando, but for one reason or another they were not deemed fit for future release. So they were given a new home in San Diego so that SeaWorld Orlando could concentrate on animals that could eventually be released. Well, that area is gone and has been replaced with TV screens showing footage of manatee rescues plus various games and yet more retail opportunities. I did get myself some Orange Soda from the little market area that had been put in that area.

By then it was nearly time for the next showing of Blue Horizons. So I figured Wild Arctic could wait and I was going to give this another go. After all, it had not appeared that the staff is very knowledgeable so there was a chance on the person that I spoke to being wrong about this being the normal show. However, the show was exactly the same as the earlier show. In the end I never made it to Wild Arctic. I had a look at the Penguin Encounter, which was in its winter phase, but I still enjoyed watching the penguins and puffins and then I headed back towards Dolphin Point for the next Dolphin Connection. I approached this from a different direction and ended up near the back pool and spent a little while there observing the dolphins before heading over to the main area.

This Dolphin Connection was very different. This session was all about husbandry behaviours. They explained what different kind of husbandry behaviours the train and why and then demonstrated some of them. One thing that was new to me was the fact that they actually give their dolphins water. I had always heard that the dolphins get all their hydration through the fish they eat. They explained to us that as all the fish is frozen, the water content is not as high as that of fresh fish and therefore they do offer some water. After the presentation, they brought the dolphins around for people to touch them again. I was not in a very good spot this time and did not get to touch a dolphin, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

At that point I decided that I had enough and decided to slowly make my way towards the exit. Somehow I got turned around and got hopelessly lost. I then followed signs to the exit, but seemed to end up going deeper into the park. In the end I asked a member of staff and he pointed me in the right direction. This little detour had its advantages though. I came across some nice sculptures that had been made from rubbish collected from the sea and I also got a closer look at Manta, which is a very different ride from the one in Orlando.

Eventually I did find my way back to the entrance. I had a bit of a closer look at Explorer's Reef and then headed out. I wanted to take some photos of the sign by the entrance and this had been too busy in the morning. There was still a little line there now, but I still had plenty of time until I needed to be back at the shuttle stop. So I got in line. There was a man standing off to one side quite a distance away and when it was my turn, he had a go at me for queue jumping. I don't know how he possibly could think I was aware that he was in line. He had been standing there when I got to the line and he just looked like he was waiting for somebody. Still, it was not worth getting upset about. I quietly stepped out of his way and let him do whatever he needed to do and then got my photos. Despite the slight delay, I still got to the shuttle stop ahead of time. I found myself a seat and made a new friend. This seagull was rather fascinated by me. There was even some Wi-Fi out there so I could check my emails.

The shuttle arrived exactly on time, but we had to wait a little. The driver was supposed to pick up a family an hour earlier and they had not shown up. So he wanted to wait for a bit to see if they would show up this time. They did and we were soon on our way. On the way back, I got a little reminder that I was in Southern California. The driver suddenly jumped a little and then told us that there was a snake in the middle of the road. You don't get this here in Manchester.

Graham had already arrived back at the hotel and was waiting in the lounge for me. He was enjoying a nice cold Budweiser. He asked if I wanted a drink as well, but I did not. He finished his drink and then we completed check in and retrieved our luggage from Bell Services. We compared notes on our day and I think I would have enjoyed myself more if I had come with Graham. San Diego Zoo sounds utterly fantastic and they even have wild mousebirds there. Still, there always needs to be a reason to go back.

We had a little downtime and I got caught up with the world of online. Then we got freshened up a little and headed to the hotel restaurant for some dinner. This was actually surprisingly good and the prices were not over the top. We both had the Steak Frites - 9oz Flat Iron Steak with Asparagus, Tomato, Caramelized Shallot Butter and Truffle Parmesan Fries. This did not sound like anything special, but the steak was very tender and flavourful. We also both had some ice tea to start off with and then decided to have a bottle of Beringer White Zinfandel to celebrate the end of an amazing cruise.

As we were finishing our dinner, somebody that we had been on the cruise with spotted us. We chatted for a while comparing notes from the cruise. Then we paid for our meal and headed back to our room. We spent a quiet evening watching TV and I caught up with things online before having an early night as we had a long day and another busy day ahead of us.

What a wonderful day at Sea World. I love your pictures of the dolphins and whales. And getting a blue pearl at Sea World just is so appropriate, don't you think?

Shame about the relative lack of order disembarking but it looks like it worked out anyway.

Dinner sounds yummy!

We had breakfast on board (second seating) and then getting off the ship afterwards was just a mess!! I think the whole debarkation from finishing breakfast to getting into the taxi took us 1.5 hours!

I am glad you had a better experience!

Sounds like you still got some nice stuff to do after the cruise, even if you regretted not going to the zoo!

The only phone call from Mickey you don't want! Sad you are off the cruise but nice to be in San Diego. How cool you got to do trainer for the day in Seaworld in the past :-)

What a shame the manatees are gone! I loved those guys! I got a bit addicted to that orange soda lol..

Blue Horizons looks good. Those trainers use to be more knowledgable. I was delighted to see you scored a blue pearl! What a beauty!

I was not impressed with Seaworld Orlando on last visit. The penguin attraction Antarctica not worth the hype. The ride kept breaking down and when we did do it was a bit lame. I love penguins so was super excited about this attraction. What I actually saw was too many penguins in a very small space. Not sure I will be back. I found it cruel.

The bird show was great though and the staff were nice. We missed out on going to the zoo when we visited San Diego. I would love to next time!

Boo to having to get off the ship! San Diego is a beautiful city...I'm glad you got to go to Seaworld. Looks like a great day even though some of the changes aren't great.

Jill in CO

Corinna did you watch Operation Wild where that lovely man made a tail for the poor dolphin Fuijj that had lost her tail due to an infection? For 12 years she suffered from depression in an aquarium in Japan and couldn't jump or swim properly with the others. Isolated herself. Then they designed a false tail from a friend in the car tyre buisness in Japan from rubber and within hours she was leaping out the pool! Swimming like new! Jo and I were in tears. Sorry of topic but catch it quick on iplayer if you missed it!

The luggage being all over the place sounds quite odd, I'm glad you found them all relatively quickly.

Sad to be off the ship but sounds like you had a lovely day. Too bad about all the changes. I wonder where the manatees went. And I'd think if you work with the dolphins you should know the names of the ones of them all. Very strange lack of knowledge....

That man claiming you jumped the queue sounds like a weirdo.

I'm so glad I got all caught up before the report ended! The last couole days on the ship sounded just great. I would have been upset if there was no mention of the zodiac boat in the tour. I'm not sure Fran could get into one of those and that would have been a deal breaker.

Those group photos are really neat. Are those something they only do on the PC cruises? Such beautiful sunset pictures! Im glad I get a few more trips on the Wonder before she has her makeover.

I really hope the work on the port is finished by next year. We like to take our time getting off the ship even if they are practically throwing you off the ship! At least we won't need a taxi from San Diego.

I'm sorry your day at Sea World was a little hit and miss. Shame about the less than knowledgeable trainer. Thats nice that you have the zoo as something to look forward to next time.

What a wonderful day at Sea World. I love your pictures of the dolphins and whales. And getting a blue pearl at Sea World just is so appropriate, don't you think?

Shame about the relative lack of order disembarking but it looks like it worked out anyway.

Dinner sounds yummy!

It had not even occured to me how fitting it was that I got the blue pearl at SeaWorld.

We had breakfast on board (second seating) and then getting off the ship afterwards was just a mess!! I think the whole debarkation from finishing breakfast to getting into the taxi took us 1.5 hours!

I am glad you had a better experience!

Sounds like you still got some nice stuff to do after the cruise, even if you regretted not going to the zoo!

What a mess. I am glad that we managed to avoid the worst of this.

The only phone call from Mickey you don't want! Sad you are off the cruise but nice to be in San Diego. How cool you got to do trainer for the day in Seaworld in the past :-)

What a shame the manatees are gone! I loved those guys! I got a bit addicted to that orange soda lol..

Blue Horizons looks good. Those trainers use to be more knowledgable. I was delighted to see you scored a blue pearl! What a beauty!

I was not impressed with Seaworld Orlando on last visit. The penguin attraction Antarctica not worth the hype. The ride kept breaking down and when we did do it was a bit lame. I love penguins so was super excited about this attraction. What I actually saw was too many penguins in a very small space. Not sure I will be back. I found it cruel.

The bird show was great though and the staff were nice. We missed out on going to the zoo when we visited San Diego. I would love to next time!

Yes, I could have done without that particular call from Mickey.

I assume the manatees have been returned to SeaWorld Orlando as they have released a bunch of their long-term residents.

The Trainer for Day programme was amazing.

I definitely noticed at SeaWorld Orlando in December that all is not well and it was even more pronounced at SeaWorld San Diego. I can understand that they are trying to diversify, but they seem to lose their way in the process.

I actually really like the new penguin habitat at SeaWorld Orlando, but I think the ride is a waste of space.

Boo to having to get off the ship! San Diego is a beautiful city...I'm glad you got to go to Seaworld. Looks like a great day even though some of the changes aren't great.

Jill in CO

I do like San Diego and the next installment that is coming right up features my favourite spot in the city.

Corinna did you watch Operation Wild where that lovely man made a tail for the poor dolphin Fuijj that had lost her tail due to an infection? For 12 years she suffered from depression in an aquarium in Japan and couldn't jump or swim properly with the others. Isolated herself. Then they designed a false tail from a friend in the car tyre buisness in Japan from rubber and within hours she was leaping out the pool! Swimming like new! Jo and I were in tears. Sorry of topic but catch it quick on iplayer if you missed it!

Thanks for the heads up. I have been crazy busy and have not had a chance to check this out. If it is still on iplayer on Wednesday, I will watch it then. I did watch Dolphin Tale when it was in the cinema and this sounds very similar to what they did for Winter. I am hoping that I will get to see Winter next year.

a question about the group shot is that always an option on the last day

The group shots are normally only on the longer cruises and they can be on any day. On our first Panama Canal cruise we had the Fab 5 in there classic costumes and on the Hawaii cruise we had the gang in their Hawaiian shirts.

The luggage being all over the place sounds quite odd, I'm glad you found them all relatively quickly.

Sad to be off the ship but sounds like you had a lovely day. Too bad about all the changes. I wonder where the manatees went. And I'd think if you work with the dolphins you should know the names of the ones of them all. Very strange lack of knowledge....

That man claiming you jumped the queue sounds like a weirdo.

Yes, I would have thought that the trainers should know all the dolphins. I assume once in a while they have to fill in at a different dolphin area.

I'm so glad I got all caught up before the report ended! The last couole days on the ship sounded just great. I would have been upset if there was no mention of the zodiac boat in the tour. I'm not sure Fran could get into one of those and that would have been a deal breaker.

Those group photos are really neat. Are those something they only do on the PC cruises? Such beautiful sunset pictures! Im glad I get a few more trips on the Wonder before she has her makeover.

I really hope the work on the port is finished by next year. We like to take our time getting off the ship even if they are practically throwing you off the ship! At least we won't need a taxi from San Diego.

I'm sorry your day at Sea World was a little hit and miss. Shame about the less than knowledgeable trainer. Thats nice that you have the zoo as something to look forward to next time.

I was not impressed that they had not disclosed that the excursion takes place on a zodiac.

They have done the group photos on all of our longer cruises on the Wonder.

I should think that the building works at the port should be done by next year.

Corinna

Day 18

We had set our alarm for 7:45 that day. It was strange that we were not woken up Mickey, but at least the alarm tone on my IPhone is the DCL horn. We got up and ready and then headed out. Our shuttle was due at 8:30, but we were advised to get to pick up point about 5 to 10 minutes earlier. We got there in plenty of time and I even had the chance to take some photos of the outside of the hotel. When we got to the bench where we had been told to meet, there was already another couple there and we were talking to them until the shuttle arrived. We did not know what to expect in terms of shuttle, but they actually sent us one of the trolleys that they use for the tours. We were given a sticker to show that we came on the hotel shuttle for the return journey and were also given the schedule for the return shuttle. Then we were off.

When we got to Old Town, we were pointed to the ticket window to pay the balance and to pick up our ticket. We were also pointed towards a kiosk that sells coffee and pastries as there was not a great deal open in Old Town at this time. Neither of us was in the mood for breakfast so we just took some photos and then we waited for the driver to come back. Our shuttle actually turned into the first trolley of the day. We were soon on our way. We had planned to get off at 3 stops: the Gaslamp Quarter, Hotel Del Coronado and Balboa Park. So we set off.

The tour is fully narrated with a mix of recorded sound bites for atmosphere and life narration from the driver. Pretty soon after we set off, we passed the airport. This is where we would fly back from the next morning. I had thought that this is a tiny regional airport, but it is somewhat bigger than I had thought and is the busiest airport in the USA with only a single runway. There was quite a lot of incoming and departing planes while we were in the area. There is also a lot of building work going on as they are expanding the airport facilities. We then drove past the port, which is very close to the airport and saw all the building works there. I am not surprised that it was complete and utter chaos the previous day between the building works and departing and arriving customers. Our driver rather proudly told us that they have a Disney ship in port the previous day. This was rather bittersweet. I was of course happy that the people in San Diego where so excited about having the Wonder there, but I was also rather as of course I had been on her.

We passed the Marina and the Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum and then headed off towards the commercial centre and the Gaslamp District. I was rather excited about finally getting a chance to look around the Gaslamp District. What increased my excitement even more is the fact that there is a Ghirardelli in this area. I had finally got around to having a sundae at Ghirardelli last year in San Francisco. The problem was that I had set my heart on and ordered the Peanut Butter Sundae, but ended up with a Hot Fudge Sundae. This was very nice, but I still wanted to try the Peanut Butter Sundae. So I was hoping to put this right. First of all we needed to get some breakfast though. Although I quite liked the idea of having ice cream for breakfast, Graham did not share my enthusiasm for this. So once we got off the trolley, we headed for the nearest Starbucks.

The building that this was in was a beautiful building with a lot of stained glass. It was also incredibly busy for relatively early on Sunday morning especially as there seemed to be nobody around on the streets. We did however find a couple of chairs. Graham had an Americano, the Bacon & Gouda Breakfast Sandwich followed by a Berry Scone. I had a Vanilla Macchiato and a Chicken Santa Fe Flatbread Panini. I passed on the cake as I had every intention to have an ice cream afterwards. After our breakfast, we had a wander around the Gaslamp district. There are a few very pretty historic buildings around, but on the whole I was a little underwhelmed. I feel about the Gaslamp District in San Diego much like I do about its namesake in Vancouver.

After we had a walk around, we headed over towards Ghirardelli only to find that this was still closed and not due to open until 11:00. It was just after 10:00 at that point and I did not fancy hanging around for nearly an hour. I figured that there is a Ghirardelli at Disneyland now and I can get my sundae in November when I am there. We then decided to backtrack a little. We had seen a really pretty building when we were on the trolley and wanted to see if we could find this.

We never did, but we came across a shopping centre. By this time we both needed to the bathroom so that was quite handy. The shopping centre was open plan and quite high so Graham suggested that we should see if we could get a good view from the top. This turned out to be a fantastic idea. We had a great view over the skyline of San Diego. We managed to walk around three sides of the building enjoying the view and taking photos. It was worth missing out on my ice cream for that.

Horton Plaza has a trolley stop, which is actually the one prior to the Gaslamp Quarter. The trolley stop was a little hidden, but we did find it. There were all kinds of interesting buildings in that area, but unfortunately there was a lot of construction as well. So taking photos was a bit of a challenge. We had a bit of a wait for the next trolley and there were a lot of people there, but when the trolley arrived, we got lucky. There was a group of 4 that did not want to be split up so we got the last two seats. This is actually very well organised. After every stop, the driver radioed base and let them know how many seats are left on the trolley or how many people are still waiting at the stop and then they sent additional trolleys as and when necessary.

We were on our way again. As we headed through the Gaslamp Quarter and to the next stop, I saw the picturesque entrance to the area that I had seen on so many photos. With hindsight being a fabulous thing, if I had to do it again and knew what I know now, I would have got off at Horton Plaza and walked from there. We still would have got breakfast there and by the time we hit the Gaslamp District, Ghirardelli would have been open. I then would have walked to the next stop to be able to get a photo of the entrance to the Gaslamp Quarter. Still we got plenty of scenic photos later during the day.

Our next destination was Coronado. We had to drive through a rather sad looking industrial area, but then we got rewarded with some rather stunning views over the skyline of San Diego from the bridge. We were rewarded with some more beautiful views at the Ferry Landing at Coronado.

We were headed somewhere different though. We go off at the closest stop to the Hotel del Coronado. This acted as inspiration for the Grand Floridian Hotel and I always wanted to see this. First off though, we had a little wander around. There are some rather pretty buildings and the cable boxes were painted with sea life. We walked towards the Marina and then headed over to the Hotel del Coronado.

The outside of it looks just like the Grand Floridian. The inside is very different though. It is really dark, but there is a gorgeous chandelier. We had a bit of a wander around and then we headed out towards the garden and then on to the beach. The beach is beautiful and you can just rent a lounger there if you are not a guest. I think if we ended up having a few days in San Diego, I may be tempted. They also have a nice herb garden.

We slowly made our way back towards the trolley stop taking a few more photos on the way. This is there busiest trolley stop and they did things a little different there. We were giving numbered boarding cards and were told to sit down on the nearby benches. When the trolley came, a certain number of boarding numbers were called. There were probably enough people waiting for 3 trolleys, but we were lucky and were the last people called for the first one that came.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter