I made my final payment today!

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
Woohoo! :woohoo: Made the final payment for my Alaska ABD today! It's getting s l o w l y closer!!!! :teeth: It was soooooooooooo far off when I made the reservation!

So far, I've only heard of one other person taking this ABD (Bobo912), I believe in July. The ABD agent said my tour is about half full. He said it was "soon" and I said "Not soon enough!!!" ETA: whoops, no! *2* people! marcemch is going middle of August!

Getting exited here!

Sayhello

It sounds like a fantastic trip.

So how do we get more people on the boards who are going on ABD trips? It's such a change from the cruise line forum - before our cruise a few years ago, we met tons of people who were going to be on our cruise. Of course, when you think about how many people are on one cruise vs. one tour, it's pretty obvious why there's a difference. But I wish we could find another family who was going on our trip. Why can't Disney give people the info when they book?

It sounds like a fantastic trip.

So how do we get more people on the boards who are going on ABD trips? It's such a change from the cruise line forum - before our cruise a few years ago, we met tons of people who were going to be on our cruise. Of course, when you think about how many people are on one cruise vs. one tour, it's pretty obvious why there's a difference. But I wish we could find another family who was going on our trip. Why can't Disney give people the info when they book?
This isn't an official Disney site; it's sponsored by a Travel Agency, and I don't know if Disney/ABD would want to appear to favor a particular Travel Agency... But it would be nice if they'd unofficially pass on the word that this Forum is here.

Sayhello

Q: So how do we get more people on the boards who are going on ABD trips? It's such a change from the cruise line forum - before our cruise a few years ago, we met tons of people who were going to be on our cruise. Of course, when you think about how many people are on one cruise vs. one tour, it's pretty obvious why there's a difference. But I wish we could find another family who was going on our trip. Why can't Disney give people the info when they book?

A: .....it's just some of us are crossing our fingers that we receive our backpacks in about 6 weeks:goodvibes.
My trip is at 56 percent occupany through late last week; though things can change. AND YES.....I now realize that if occupany levels don't meet up with what ABD desires, well - just rebook with them :cloud9: (my TA didnt explain that ABD is a motor coached tour company - thus subject to occupany level potential issues ). So yes - I do apoligize to those of you who I stepped on earlier in the year.
Thus, I look forward to my Spirit of America Trip and I also can not wait for August first for I am also booking the Emerald Isle trip for either late may or early June next year:cloud9:.
So, we are here - its just I will feel a whole better once my travel docs arrive:woohoo:.

...and yes, I enjoy writing trip reports. I may even start a pre-trip report in a few weeks.

AND YES.....I now realize that if occupany levels don't meet up with what ABD desires, well - just rebook with them :cloud9: (my TA didnt explain that ABD is a motor coached tour company - thus subject to occupany level potential issues ).
ABD is *not* what I would call a motor coached tour company. The motor coaches are just used to transport everyone to the same place all together. Once you arrive at your destination, you get off the motor coach, and may not get back on until you leave days later. A lot of the travelling is by foot or local transport. We only had 14 people on a 40+ person motorcoach. I really think they cancel tours because of the guides and the hotel rooms. They have to guarantee a certain number of people to reserve a block of rooms at negotiated prices. Plus pay the salaries of 2 guides. And pay/arrange for local experts at most of the locales. If they don't think they are going to get enough people to justify those expenses, then they cancel & try to shuffle people to other dates. I really think the motor coach, while one piece of it, is probably one of the last considerations whether to cancel a trip or not.

JMHO, YMMV

Also, I'm really not sure what your answer has to do with how we get people who have signed up for ABD's to post here, which was the question.

Sayhello

Woohoo! Made the final payment for my Alaska ABD today! It's getting s l o w l y closer!!!! It was soooooooooooo far off when I made the reservation!

Right on!! It was so nice to pay ours off to a couple of weeks ago! But it still seems so far away! I cannot wait to read your trip report! It does feel a bit anti-climatic having to wait however life will get us there before we know it!:rotfl:

ABD is *not* what I would call a motor coached tour company. The motor coaches are just used to transport everyone to the same place all together. Once you arrive at your destination, you get off the motor coach, and may not get back on until you leave days later. A lot of the travelling is by foot or local transport. We only had 14 people on a 40+ person motorcoach. I really think they cancel tours because of the guides and the hotel rooms. They have to guarantee a certain number of people to reserve a block of rooms at negotiated prices. Plus pay the salaries of 2 guides. And pay/arrange for local experts at most of the locales. If they don't think they are going to get enough people to justify those expenses, then they cancel & try to shuffle people to other dates. I really think the motor coach, while one piece of it, is probably one of the last considerations whether to cancel a trip or not.

JMHO, YMMV

Also, I'm really not sure what your answer has to do with how we get people who have signed up for ABD's to post here, which was the question.

Sayhello

...for one can see how misinformed my TA (per the verbage of "motorcoached toured company") was so again, a huge thank you for the input to help bring me (and possbily others behind me) up to speed as to what ABD is. Therefore, she is no longer my TA as of February 2009.
And yes, just like on the sea side of Disboards, there are many as well who for some reason or another, choose to not post. Why? Wish I knew. I can only speak for myself with which my reasoning was listed above. This is why I feel that "the answer is easy," which is focus in on one's trip and slowly through word of mouth, Adventures by Disney will slowly make the gains where it needs to be. Right now, they are still a young company.
What is also helping is DU is advertising ABD on the DCL side of Disboards.com.

But rest assured, we are here - I am just waiting patiently for my backpack to arrive in about 6 weeks and look forward to my trip report as I have read yours (SW Splendors) and it was a very nice trip report.

:hippie:Best Wishes to all:hippie:

Woohoo! :woohoo: Made the final payment for my Alaska ABD today! It's getting s l o w l y closer!!!! :teeth: It was soooooooooooo far off when I made the reservation!

So far, I've only heard of one other person taking this ABD (Bobo912), I believe in July. The ABD agent said my tour is about half full. He said it was "soon" and I said "Not soon enough!!!" ETA: whoops, no! *2* people! marcemch is going middle of August!

Getting exited here!

Sayhello

..I am happy for you:yay:.

Right on!! It was so nice to pay ours off to a couple of weeks ago! But it still seems so far away! I cannot wait to read your trip report! It does feel a bit anti-climatic having to wait however life will get us there before we know it!:rotfl:
It does still seem far away (really, the whole summer) but I enjoy having something to look forward to! And you're right, it will get here before we know it. :cool1:

I'm looking forward to having a Trip Report for you to read!!!!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter