I need prayers

That's great!

DS foot-drop was fast. We're having to look at surgery to fix his feet so he can weight-bear. [too bad he can't do ballet-toes are perfectly pointed].

DD still has a bit of drop foot, but it was a long painful struggle to get her to this point. Her ortho made her some custom braces that will lock in place a degree at a time.

I'm praying for your son that he does well in his recovery. :hug:

Ashley is home!!! :woohoo:

We closed on our new house on 8/31, stripped wallpaper and painted for the next two days, moved our stuff into it on 9/3, unpacked (almost :laughing:) and moved Ashley in on Monday. We haven't slowed down yet!

The first night, she slept for 12 hours straight. After being in the hospital for almost 4 months she's not been sleeping very often. It's so good to have her home with us where she can relax

All of the therapies will start this next Monday. She's progressing so rapidly that I can't wait to challenge her. But so far we've been able to help her to continue moving forward.

Ashley has come such a long way just in the last month, she now has torso control so she can sit up on her own. She is using her legs in a walking motion in her wheelchair and she has the most beautiful smile most of the time. Her head shakes and nods are pretty consistent now so we're beginning some very useful communication. She also has a wonderful electronic communication board thanks to Mid-South ACT that she can spell out full sentences. On Thursday she had a swallow test and passed with flying colors! I've gotten her some Gerber stage 2, 3 & 4 to start her off on feeding herself. I've pureed some of my own food, but I think she remembers that I'm not such a great cook. She only ate a little bit and then shook her head when I tried to give her more! :rotfl:

I never dreamed that having her home would be such a relief. I knew it was going to be hard work, but it's so worth it to see her grow and re-learn so much before our eyes.

:lmao:, She's home momma, guess her remembering your cooking is a good thing! what a blessing to have the little things like that again:hug:

This is where we are as well! Always smiling, always playing tricks on us! We've cut a lot of her medication and she's now weaning off the stomach tube. This morning Ashley ate scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuit and a sweet roll. Also a glass and a half of milk. After 4 months of not eating, she's making up for it now. :lmao: Her next appt for the gastro is in November. DH & I are expecting, at the rate Ashley is going for the tube to be pulled. Her therapists are coming almost every day to work her out. She's starting to bear weight for her transfers which is wonderful for my back. Her memory is still very affected. We took her to a restaurant a few nights ago for a friends birthday party, but the next morning she didn't remember it. The next night we took her to another friends house and this morning she didn't remember it. I'm hoping her memory improves in time. DH & I are beginning to video tape and take pictures as reminders of what she did.

She's doing really well at home, but she still needs more. We're fund raising to send her to Timber Ridge in Arkansas, where she'll have pretty intensive rehab. Ashley has the drive and determination to see this through!

What types of Fund raising have you decided on?

What types of Fund raising have you decided on?

Sorry for getting back to this thread so late.

For the fundraiser, we've asked for donations from friends and family. Ashley's been featured on the local news and the weekend of Columbus Day, we're having a benefit BBQ for her. In two more weeks a concert featuring 4 - 5 bands will be held. If there's extra money, it'll go into a grant to Timber Ridge for other patients that are uninsured or their insurance benefits are exhausted.

So far we've raised enough for almost a month at Timber Ridge. She's progressing so fast at this point hopefully she won't need but a month or two there. A rep will be coming to our house on Monday for her eval and placement.

Ashley is now eating solid foods, has dry days and as of last night, had a dry night!! She is starting to talk again also. The words are whispered mostly and hard to understand, but every now and again, she uses her voice. Ashley can help a lot with her transfers by bearing weight. She amazes me everyday! She'd definately strong willed and wanting to get back to her old self.

I'm so glad Ashley is doing so well. :goodvibes Check FB regularly for updates. Think and pray about her alot.

2many pets,

I hope progress is continuing.

As part of a state council I am on we have been asked to comment on the new state webpage for TBI. I though i would give you the link in case there is any infomation that might be helpful or to get your comments as someone relatively new to the TBI world.

http://www.dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dsaapd/headinj.html

bookwormde

Thank you so much for the links, I've added it to my toolbar. There's a lot of resources on the site to explore today!

Oh, I've got to mention that ASHLEY IS TALKING!:cheer2: She started making whispering sounds on day one and by day 5 she was talking in complete sentences with a voice!!!!!!!!! I have a miracle daughter!

Sorry for getting back to this thread so late.

For the fundraiser, we've asked for donations from friends and family. Ashley's been featured on the local news and the weekend of Columbus Day, we're having a benefit BBQ for her. In two more weeks a concert featuring 4 - 5 bands will be held. If there's extra money, it'll go into a grant to Timber Ridge for other patients that are uninsured or their insurance benefits are exhausted.

So far we've raised enough for almost a month at Timber Ridge. She's progressing so fast at this point hopefully she won't need but a month or two there. A rep will be coming to our house on Monday for her eval and placement.

Ashley is now eating solid foods, has dry days and as of last night, had a dry night!! She is starting to talk again also. The words are whispered mostly and hard to understand, but every now and again, she uses her voice. Ashley can help a lot with her transfers by bearing weight. She amazes me everyday! She'd definitely strong willed and wanting to get back to her old self.

:woohoo: glad to see that she is making great progress. If we wanted to make a donation for your DD could we and in way? Thanks!

Oh, I've got to mention that ASHLEY IS TALKING!:cheer2: She started making whispering sounds on day one and by day 5 she was talking in complete sentences with a voice!!!!!!!!! I have a miracle daughter!

I think she, and you, deserve a trip to WDW. Or DCL.:goodvibes

You have a daughter with amazing spirit and strength, it is heartening hearing about her progress

Bookwormde

This is my first time visiting the disABILITIES board, so I'd missed your story until now. Just wanted to say that your daughter is an amazing woman...and so are you!

Sorry I've neglected this post for almost a month now.

Ashley started in a 6 hour a day, intensive rehab program. She's been going for a little over a month now. Her amazing progress has slowed down some so we're not seeing the daily miracles at this time.

Ashley has learned the "Gift of Gab" though.:lmao: She has a lot to say! Her memory is only 5 - 30 minutes long, so we hear a lot of repeat questions and statements. It's so nice to hear her voice at all though! It's much stronger and louder now.

She is now able to hold onto our hands and "walk" somewhat unassisted. We're trying to teach her to walk heel/toe instead of toe/heel. Her balance is not quite there yet so we wouldn't dare do this with just one person. DH & I have her doing sit-ups, quad balancing, kneeling, balance ball sitting...anything that will strengthen her core muscles and re-train the brain.

It's become a struggle to get her to practice her writing or do much of anything with her hands. At times she forgets that she even has arms. We have to cue her to pick up her drink instead of her bending over to try to reach it with her mouth.

My poor Ashley is so frustrated because she remembers quite a bit of her life before the accident and she desperately wants to go back there. It's getting harder to explain about her fiance leaving her and she doesn't remember it after we tell her again. The pain is fresh each time. However we can't lie because we don't know if this will be the time she'll remember. Usually we avoid the subject and redirect her along some other thought.

It's only been 6.5 months. She truly is a miracle in the making. Ashley has a long way to go, but has come so far already!

Wow! Thanks for keeping us all updated! I'll continue to hold Ashley and all of her lovely family in my thoughts.

your story has brought tears to my eyes, and at the same time lifted my heart! you are your dd's angel, and she is yours! I will pray for your family, and thank you for sharing Ashley's progress with us. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter