• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I want a magical Christmas! Can you help!?

Shellybird

Mouseketeer
Hi!!! I'm preparing for our visit *home*for the first time Dec.16 to De.23. Our dream from listening to others is that Christmas is really magical. The Dis website doesn't give me a lot of detailed info. on when to reserve dinners, the best hotels to see for decorations, etc. Parties, special shows, that kind of stuff. I am absolutely thrilled. We'll be at VLW in a two bedroom. There's only three of us, maybe we went too big. But our son would love to invite his two best friends.

Please give or direct me to the best sites to get the lowdown at Christmas time. Best dinners, etc. Best shows. I'm SOOOO excited. We'd love to meet with other DVCers while we're there. I hear EPCOT is faboolous with the story tellers. Tell us, Tell us! And let us know if we can look for you! :bounce: :bounce:

Thanks! Shellybird :banana:

Well, I can't give you first hand information, but we will be there for our first Holiday time too, at the same time you are. Everything I've read indicates that you are staying in the resort decorated the nicest for the holidays. When I ordered our MVMCP tickets, I was asked if I wanted to make a PS for dinner that night at either LTT or Tony's. So, that may be something to consider.

Looking forward to the information you receive, so I can use it too. :earboy2:

I first visited during early December in 1998 and have been back every year since. Consider yourself warned! This time of the year is very addicting!

For us, the Candlelight Dinner Package is a must every year. IMHO, teh Candlelight Processional is one of the most beautiful and moving shows/experiences that WDW has to offer.

We also go to MVMCP (we concentrate on the shows and the parade. Those alone are worth the price of admission, IMHO) as well as the Osborne Lights at MGM.

Do NOT miss IllumiNations at EPCOT. Last year they added a "Holiday Tag" to the end of the display. It was too amazing for words. The very best fireworks I've ever seen! Sure hope it becomes a tradition! If you can, work in the Tree Lighting Ceremony at EPCOT (around 6 pm every evening). If not, be sure to at least walk through the arch (Lights of Winter) in the evening. You already know about the story-telling and the Santas.

The decorations at the VWL are excellent. We also make a habit of visiting the GF and the AKL if we can. Personally, I love the holiday decorations at the BWV, the BC/YC and the Swan/Dolphin. The chefs create these fabulous creations out of chocolate - you have to see them to believe such things are possible! The Dolphin has a humongous tree with a toy train circling it. Love the larger than life Toy Soldiers,

This year, I think we will try to work in the Yuletide Fantasy Tour if it is still offered.

Even DD has the Holiday Spirit - I love to walk around and just absorb it. Have a tradition of visiting the Christmas Store and getting a new ornament for our "Mickey" tree every year.

You are in for a HUGE Treat!

Best wishes-

We hired a personal chef to come to the grand villa on our last night last yr and cook a full course holiday dinner for all of us and then we went and did MVMCP...............just awesome............we also had a local bring us a Xmas tree Day one and we asked that all of our family and friends brings some ornaments that were special to decorate it that first night............we then passed the tree down to a local charity for homeless kids................the Christmas precessional is awesome too............we always miss the osborne lights show but we visit every resort to see the decorations.........GF is awesome.........and we always buy the special resort christmas pins at each resort.................and take alot of pictures and make Xmas scrap books...............the kids love looking at last yr's trip the first night of our new Xmas trip while we decorate the Xmas tree.............

Oh, bongo, you gave me goosebumps (or is it mousebumps). What a wonderful time you must have had, with great memories to share together. I would love a trip like that, it must have taken some extra planning to bring it together so beautifully.

:wave: Will you adopt me?

What a timely thread! We are in the process of booking VWL 12/21-12/27. This will be our first Disney Christmas (30+ years overdue for me). I have heard it is the crowdest time, but the holiday themes is well worth the crowds. Have a few questions for the experienced holiday DIS'er.

1. My plan was to visit the parks to ride attractions during the extra magic hours and utilize some of the regular park hours when it's crowded to enjoy the decorations and hop to other resorts to view decorations, spending the majority of the afternoon most days back at VWL just relaxing. Is this how it's done?

2. I remember last year trying to convince my MIL to come to the Swan/Dolphin over the holidays, our treat, for some great WDW holiday fun (she refused, so we went to Tx instead). The big draw to me at the time was the Swan/Dolphin was offering on Christmas Eve to have Santa's elf come tuck your kids in bed with milk and cookies and a bedtime Christmas story. Does WDW resorts offer something like this? or other treats Christmas eve?

3. Christmas morning: Watch the MK Christmas parade from the room or fight the crowds to see it live? Any special activities at the resorts for Christmas day?

4. Any advice for a newbie to the WDW holiday season?

I am the biggest Christmas junkie ever. Pull out the Christmas classic movies just after Halloween and enjoy them for the next 2 months. Going to WDW during the holidays sounds like the best Christmas present ever!

Thanks!

We love early Dec and this was our first non Dec trip and although the parks were open later it just wasn't the same. From now on it is Dec or nothing for us you just can't beat the feeling of being at WDW during that time of year. We love to visit the resorts to see the decorations love the huge tree at WL and the gingerbread houses etc. I am allready singing x mas carols at work and people think I am nuts LOL.

Spent Xmas at WDW last year; it can be crowded, however, the key is to plan early enough. I planned our family's PS (meals at various disney restaurants) 3 months in advance. My DH thinks I'm overboard sometimes when it comes to our Disney trips, he gave me a complement on the planning. Everything went so smoothly.

BTW, the Xmas parade is taped a few weeks earlier (not done on Xmas day)

OK everyone...Christmas with Bongo this year!!!!

We think of VWL for winter trips...just seems the most 'wintery' of the resorts. Definitely VWL for the decorations, though the chocolate carousel at BWV was pretty cool.

MVMCP is a lot of fun, but the year we went it was pretty warm, even for us! The decorations on Main Street are lovely too!

Gotta see the Osborne family lights over at MGM or Disney studios...whatever they're calling it these days!

EPCOT has storytellers that are the equivalent of 'Santa' in each of the countries. They're really neat!

Don't know if I've been to AK at Xmas...anyone else know what they do over there?

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you. I want to eat with Bongo!

These ideas and advice are extremely helpful. I was able to make my ressie's for MVMCP with dinner at LTT.

I am now going to go for the candlelight dinner package. Sounds so awesome.

Getting a tree didn't even occur to me! What a great idea! Do a lot of people do this? Do the cleaning people mind?

Now I'm singing Christmas Carols too!

Michelle

Shellybird said:
Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you. I want to eat with Bongo!

These ideas and advice are extremely helpful. I was able to make my ressie's for MVMCP with dinner at LTT.

I am now going to go for the candlelight dinner package. Sounds so awesome.

Getting a tree didn't even occur to me! What a great idea! Do a lot of people do this? Do the cleaning people mind?

Now I'm singing Christmas Carols too!

Michelle

We wont be there for actual Christmas day, so no tree for us, but I do remember last year that people did tree swaps. One family brought the tree and then would leave it when they checked out for the next family on the list. All families contribute to the cost of the tree. From what I understood, it worked well!

We are going early in December (which will probably be my last week of maternity leave) because I LOVE this time of year. I am worried about trying to do too much this year with an infant, so other than a few dinner ressies at the resorts and MVMCP, we are not planning many things. Relaxing family time is what I am looking for and WDW this time of year really gets me into the Christmas spirit!

don't forget your decorations! The first time I went down at Christmas, I was surprised to see the number of people who decorated their balconies with lights, and put a wreath on their door! Many people have trees. Last Christmas there was a family at VWL on the top floor who had a 8 foot tall blow up Santa on display, and another family had a blow-up snowman Mickey on their balcony. You just won't believe it! It is just so much fun walking around seeing the decorations of the members, too! :rotfl: This is just a wonderfully magical time of year! I would not recommend the MK on Christmas Day, though--the locals celebrate there, too! We watched in amazement as the locals poured thru the gate, and MK closed before 10 AM, it was too crowded to do anything. We left, and went mini-golfing instead, and it turned out to be one of our best Christmas memories. We are from Michigan, so we don't ever golf at home on Christmas! :sunny:

Does anyone know when the narrators for the Candlelight Processional are typically announced?

Thanks!

I was curious about that too. It sounds like it would be such a great thing to go to. I can't wait.

QuiltTeddy said:
I was curious about that too. It sounds like it would be such a great thing to go to. I can't wait.
It is a GREAT experience! I highly recommend booking the dinner package and also going to a later show so that it is dark enough to appreciate the candlelight.

poohj80 said:
It is a GREAT experience! I highly recommend booking the dinner package and also going to a later show so that it is dark enough to appreciate the candlelight.

Thanks. I wouldn't have thought of that. I forgot that it was an "outside" thing. Is it just bleacher seating?

Wow! You all rock! :banana: What great advice. Thank you so much everyone!

CarolMN-- the Yuletide Tour sounds awesome. Has anyone done this? We won't have a car, so I'm thinking this would be a great way to see all the big Christmas attractions.

Carol1231 -- You're at VWL the same time?? Cool! Maybe we could meet and have some hot chocolate. The only other DVC members we know (in person) are our friends who live across the street.

Great idea on taking decorations. Here's a dumb question: I guess I need to pack my own hammer and nails if I want to hang lights, huh? How do others do it?

What's the best place to eat if we want to have easy access to Illuminations? Thanks to everyone who has so graciously provided ideas!! :love:

Michelle
P.S. I'm so excited, I'm beginning to embarrass myself. I'm a middle-aged mom for goodness' sake!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter