Iceland is absolutely amazing.

Ofinn

DCL Platinum
If anyone has the time, money or desire to visit this beautiful country I highly recommend. We just returned from our Iceland, Norway cruise. Of all the places we visited this is the only one I have put back on my bucket list to return. All the ports were great, but Iceland is in a class to itself. We had beautiful sunny 60 degree weather the three days we were there.

We didn't do any excursions through DCL.

London- We spent three nights there. Had a great time. I did brave taking the underground from LhR to kings Cross and then a taxi from kings cross to the Aldgate premier Inn. It wasn't bad. It would have been super easy with my dh helping with the luggage, but he flew in 2 days later. I loved the Aldgate area. It was a very close walk to the Thames, London bridge, and Tower of London. I actually preferred it over the Waterloo area. It is much less crowded. We paid about 130 usd. per night. The hotel is brand new and very nice.

Newcastle- We took the Metro to Newcastle, walked around and had lunch. Very nice city.

Kirkwall. We took a public bus tour. 12 usd per person. We drove right behind the DCl bus tour, visited all the same spots, and I know these people paid a lot more than 12 usd per person.

Reykjavik- We did a the golden circle tour through Reykjavik excursions. It's was 185.00 for 2 adults, 1kid and 1 teen. Kids 11 and under are free, and teens are half price. You can also book the blue lagoon through them kids under 15 are free. Just an FYI for those you that are like me and like to save money.

Aukueri- We rented a car 132.00 USD plus 40 for gas. This was by far the best way to tour Iceland. We visited Godafoss falls, Lake Myvatn, a geothermal lake, had lunch at a farm house, took some side roads that always led to something special. I enjoyed our tour in Reykjavik, but next time we will definitely get our own wheels. It's very easy driving in Iceland.They drive on the right side of the road and there is no traffic.

Bergen- We took the funicular up the mountain and hiked down. It cost 16 usd for the four of us.

Stavanger- We took a cruise the fjords through Rodne tours. It was 157.00 usd for the four of us. No need to book ahead you can walk off the ship and do it. There are other company's than do tours also.

The cruise itself was the typical Disney cruise. Service was good not the best we've had, but good enough. Don't expect shampoo or conditioner without asking. We also did not get a call about our platinum gift like we normally do. I guess I've been on so many Disney cruises the magic is kind of lost on me at this point. This cruise was all about the ports and they were fantastic.

We happened to be in Reykjavik when Iceland beat Austria. The town was a big party a lot of the crew went out. The whole ship erupted in cheers when they beat England. Sorry Brits, but Iceland gained some American fans on that cruise.

LHR gets the award for worst airport ever visited and I've been to a lot. Lets just say Europeans have no concept of waiting in line for an elevator. After the kids and I were trampled over 4 times. My Irish temper came out and I went into full B**** mode. I pretty much threw myself in front of the elevator and dared anyone to set foot inside before my kids made it on with their luggage. The second time through LHR I came prepared for battle.

Overall it was a great experience. We did everything we wanted to do and spent very little money. About 700.00 total in the ports. Anyone planning this cruise this year or next I would look outside of DCL for your port days. You will save a lot of money.

Just to add if you are a runner this is great cruise. I was able to get off the ship at every port and get a run in. The ports are safe and nice. Lots of running trails and nice scenery.

Any questions just ask.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Totally agree about lines in Europe. Unfortunately it is becoming more and more like that in the US too. It is a bummer to hear they are still doing the no shampoo for you thing.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Totally agree about lines in Europe. Unfortunately it is becoming more and more like that in the US too. It is a bummer to hear they are still doing the no shampoo for you thing.

Yes, I also forgot to mention there were no snacks in the bars or cove café. They said it was a hygiene thing? Or is it a cost saving measure. They would give you wings or chips if you asked but they weren't out. I'm getting ready to book the Carnival Vista this Fall I'm excited to try something new.

We also just got off the cruise and had an amazing time! Our room host was great and we got shampoo, conditioner and hand cream every day, without asking. Our favourite port was probably Stavanger, Norway. We also did the fjords cruise. Also, Bergen. Iceland was great, but it wasn't our favourite.

We also really liked the Southwick area of London - got a great run in along the Thames with views of the Parliament Buildings, bridges, Big Ben, etc.

We had a stroller with us and found no issues with elevators or rude people. Frankly, fellow passengers were way ruder.

Yes, I also forgot to mention there were no snacks in the bars or cove café. They said it was a hygiene thing? Or is it a cost saving measure. They would give you wings or chips if you asked but they weren't out. I'm getting ready to book the Carnival Vista this Fall I'm excited to try something new.

We saw snacks in Cove Cafe after the first couple days. They were all sweets, though, like cake and squares and cookies.

We are doing the vista next summer 8 night southern carribean. So excited. Did u see clubDisney Chandler's review?

We saw snacks in Cove Cafe after the first couple days. They were all sweets, though, like cake and squares and cookies.
Not self serve like in the past. I dont think I ever used the term rude. Im a laid back so cal girl. I was a little put off by the aggressive behavior, but I adapt easily and can be just as aggressive. Im glad you got your soap and conditioner I have not on our last three cruises. Overall European people were very friendly so were the Americans on the cruise.
Sounds like you had a great time. We fell love in love with Iceland. I really have no desire to return to any of the other ports.

We go to Iceland in about nine days, for the platinum gift you get a letter, we had to call.

View attachment 178990

We got the wine no issue from room service.

I Travel Heathrow regularly, and as a Londoner wouldn't single it out for queuing issues. I think the ship is far worse.
On the Wonder they always would call us. We also got chocolates on the Wonder.

Wow I book marked this thread, what a great review! Thank you! I am a big non DCL excursions fan but obviously they can be more difficult to book if there isn't enough info on them so this is great. I'm a runner as well - can you elaborate on your runs? Did you know about trails and such before you got off the trip or did you just kind of wing it when you got off the boat? Is the crime low enough where you felt safe?

I'll probably have more questions if we do this cruise, I want to do a European cruise but worry about cost of airfare and the kids being able to do such a long flight

We are doing the vista next summer 8 night southern carribean. So excited. Did u see clubDisney Chandler's review?
Yes I did. There has been a few other dis veterans that have enjoyed this ship. Their med itinerary is great.

So glad you had an awesome cruise and welcome to the "Iceland is simply AMAZING club"! :) We did the inaugural cruise last year and since we left on 6/29/15, all our Timehop pictures are popping up on FB and bringing back awesome memories from last year. We were actually in Iceland a year ago and over the 4th of July. Like you, we also used Reykjavik Excursions for the Golden Circle Tour (and did the evening version) and then used them for the Blue Lagoon the next morning. We created our own excursion in Akureyri and loved it. Glad you had such a great time! We are huge soccer fans (go Germany!) but we've been pulling for Iceland since the Euro started and I bet that was simply amazing being there when they won - very cool :)

To others reading, it's an amazing cruise and I highly recommend it! Scott (www.disneycruiselineblog.com) did a podcast about the Iceland Excursions (and Norway as well) for those following for future cruises and lots of great info :) I know, I was with them :) lol

Heather

Wow I book marked this thread, what a great review! Thank you! I am a big non DCL excursions fan but obviously they can be more difficult to book if there isn't enough info on them so this is great. I'm a runner as well - can you elaborate on your runs? Did you know about trails and such before you got off the trip or did you just kind of wing it when you got off the boat? Is the crime low enough where you felt safe?

I'll probably have more questions if we do this cruise, I want to do a European cruise but worry about cost of airfare and the kids being able to do such a long flight
I wing it with the running. There are bike and walking paths around the harbors in all the ports. You can run for miles and look at the ocean. Perfect running weather. Dont know how old your kids are, but we live on the west coast. My kids did fine. They prefer red eyes because they sleep.

So glad you had an awesome cruise and welcome to the "Iceland is simply AMAZING club"! :) We did the inaugural cruise last year and since we left on 6/29/15, all our Timehop pictures are popping up on FB and bringing back awesome memories from last year. We were actually in Iceland a year ago and over the 4th of July. Like you, we also used Reykjavik Excursions for the Golden Circle Tour (and did the evening version) and then used them for the Blue Lagoon the next morning. We created our own excursion in Akureyri and loved it. Glad you had such a great time! We are huge soccer fans (go Germany!) but we've been pulling for Iceland since the Euro started and I bet that was simply amazing being there when they won - very cool :)

To others reading, it's an amazing cruise and I highly recommend it! Scott (www.disneycruiselineblog.com) did a podcast about the Iceland Excursions (and Norway as well) for those following for future cruises and lots of great info :) I know, I was with them :) lol

Heather
My brother and his son just spent 2 weeks driving around Iceland. There photos and stories are amazing. I woul love to do this.

I agree that Iceland is absolutely amazing! I did my own Iceland trip in January for 8 days and I loved it. I had a wonderful time but I would like to go back during the summer.

I was wondering when you were getting back. Glad to see you liked it! Are you going to post any pics when you settle in? I recently came back from an Eastern MED cruise and loved it too (not on Disney)...Glad to see you're going to try the Vista, next company you should try is MSC..I loved my cruise and have just booked another EURO cruise with them for 2018 on their new ship.

Thanks for posting. It is great to hear. I go back and forth between doing the funicular on our own in Bergen or through Disney. We go to Kristiansand instead of Stavanger and we didn't book anything there so I didn't know if I would be bored with two days in a row on our own.
Did you enjoy Bergen on your own? How was your wait for the funicular?

Thanks for posting. It is great to hear. I go back and forth between doing the funicular on our own in Bergen or through Disney. We go to Kristiansand instead of Stavanger and we didn't book anything there so I didn't know if I would be bored with two days in a row on our own.
Did you enjoy Bergen on your own? How was your wait for the funicular?
I see no need to book anything through dcl on this cruise. We walked to the funicular and got right on.. The walk down was fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter