If the new gondola, Skyliner, is successful, will they create more lines?

I would prefer an updated monorail system as well just because its Disney to me. As far as the gondola system, I wonder if it will be somewhat of an eyesore.
They appear to be going with a single cable system, whose towers can be a single pole, like a cell phone tower. If they went with a 3-cable system (better wind stability and larger cabin size), they would need to put up steel lattice towers like high-tension power lines, which would be an eyesore.

I was wondering whether, if this proves to be a success and more cost effective, could it actually REPLACE the existing Monorail long term?
It would be feasible to replace the Resort loop, but I don't know how the capacity compares to the monorails at park opening & closing.

And they probably couldn't insert a gondola station in the space of the existing CR monorail station. There may not be enough room for the infrastructure (the large bull wheel), and gondola stations are rather noisy to be inside the atrium.
The Roosevelt Island Tramway in NYC has been in operation for more than 40 years. It is not air conditioned. It operates in most conditions except for high winds and lightning (have to see how that will play out--I know WDW is subject to storms in the summer months but have no data on how often lightning is an issue.)
Bear in mind that aerial tramways are very different animals from detachable gondola lifts. The only thing they have in common is that both are suspended from cables.

A resort with only gondola transportation to a park would be a deal killer for me. I HATE heights, and I know there are many others like me who would never set foot in one. I for one would prefer the monorail.
These gondolas could likely be at a similar height to the monorails.

Last edited:

The idea sounds nice but the deal killer would be the weather in the summer. Hurricanes and tornados have the power to cause extreme accidents. Hopefully safety precautions make it more feasible.

I would've prefered the monorail expansion but this is where we're at the moment.

If the gondolas are successful it will be the beginning of the end for the monorail. For one thing they can construct gondola routes that are more direct than the monorail line, so it will be a (at least a bit) shorter ride time. Then they will reduce monorail service such that you'll have a choice for gondola or monorail. Think along the lines of "A monorail train will pass through every 30 minutes, the gondolas are continuous with wait times varying only by the number of people at any particular gondola boarding station." The gondolas will surpass the monorail in popularity due to efficiency so Disney can justify removing the monorail & track because "Guest prefer the gondola system." This won't happen overnight, might be 10-15 years, but I'll bet the idea is being considered. Let's also consider that in the long term there may be yet some other method of transportation that doesn't exist yet. Or maybe it'll be a really big People Mover.;)

There will be no monorail expansion...ever. The economics didn't make sense when they paid for the Epcot line in 1982...there is no way we're gonna see anymore.
Actually, we should probably start imagining a Disney World without monorails.

It seems like there could be some sort of light rail that could be economically feasible, if Disney was so inclined. But those wouldn't run on a single rail - so they would probably deserve a different name.

Actually, we should probably start imagining a Disney World without monorails.

It seems like there could be some sort of light rail that could be economically feasible, if Disney was so inclined. But those wouldn't run on a single rail - so they would probably deserve a different name.

Well...I didn't want to upset the children...

But the idea they will continue to pay for the longterm maintenance on those beams and expensive trains is a fantasy...

For one thing they can construct gondola routes that are more direct than the monorail line, so it will be a (at least a bit) shorter ride time.
Why would they want to go to the expense of building multiple direct lines, when the loop concept works just fine? KISS!

How much will it cost to replace the beams and the trains?
You misunderstand me. PP suggested they could build more direct lines. Why would they want to build multiple direct lines, when a loop connecting all 7 Seas resorts, whether gondola, monorail, people mover, or whatever, works just fine?

You misunderstand me. PP suggested they could build more direct lines. Why would they want to build multiple direct lines, when a loop connecting all 7 Seas resorts, whether gondola, monorail, people mover, or whatever, works just fine?

Gotcha

The idea sounds nice but the deal killer would be the weather in the summer. Hurricanes and tornados have the power to cause extreme accidents. Hopefully safety precautions make it more feasible.

I would've prefered the monorail expansion but this is where we're at the moment.

But if the storm is that close, the resorts would be locked down and the transportation wouldn't be running anyway.

I'm a little puzzled over the idea that I'm seeing here than gondolas are fragile. Major mountain resorts have these. They run all winter, in all conditions, at heights much higher than what we'd see at wdw.

Bear in mind that aerial tramways are very different animals from detachable gondola lifts. The only thing they have in common is that both are suspended from cables.

How do they differ? Just curious. An aerial tramway sounds like it would be larger?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter