If this is a Craigslist scam, I don't get what their angle might be

aboveH20

DIS Veteran
This has me puzzled. I'm trying to figure out what the scam could be.

On Tuesday I listed an entertainment center (the old style shelving unit that held a TV) for FREE on Craigslist. I know people aren't into them any more which is why it was free -- and I know some people are big on furnishing with free items. Within a couple hours I had a response asking when they could pick it up. We agreed on noon Thursday.

Noon came but the guy didn't. No contact. Friday I texted him and asked if he'd changed his mind. He was very apologetic and said he could come today at 11. Another no show and no contact.

I left the listing up the whole time, although I added "pick up pending" between Tuesday and Thursday. I haven't had any other interest (not really surprised).

Not surprised, but so curious. If it's a scam, I can't figure out what the guy's angle is. Any ideas?

I'm including a photo just because if it were me reading the post I'd be curious what is looks like.

IMG_4220.jpeg

I wouldn't think much of it. Its just someone who sort of wants the cabinet, but then gets interrupted by something else. You definitely need to post it again.

When I post stuff for sale, I'm always amazed at how many people ask via message, "is it still available?" Then I reply yes, and list two or three days that I can meet, and that we can arrange a different time if needed. Then I never hear from them again. Why do they ask if they don't want to arrange for pickup? Who knows.

It happens all the time. I giveaway items in a local forum and it is crazy how many people don't show. No good deed goes unpunished!

Happens all the time. Just people with really bad time management, or biting off more than they can chew, or borrowing someone’s truck to pick it up and that person falls through and the list goes on.

It’s generally only a scam if they say they want to wire you cash for something you’re charging money for (because they are “out of town and they’ll come back later for it or their friend will pick it up”)

If you want to - just keep renewing the listing and someone will come get it in earnest!

Also don’t say it’s someone else’s until that person has picked it up and it’s gone. It’s generally understood that if someone says they want it and they don’t run over to grab it then they can miss out. It’s first come first serve and you may even write that.

A woman once paid me for a mirror, came to pick it up, couldn't fit it in her car, and said she'd come back for it. Never came back. I called and messaged multiple times and held it for 6 months before I sold it again. 🤷

I've found that getting something for free equals zero effort/money expended, so very little followup.

I've honestly had better luck getting rid of something by pricing it ridiculously cheap because then they feel like they are getting a great deal. But peer-to-peer sales always have pitfalls and limitations. We bought a power tool yesterday off someone FB Marketplace because it was an incredible deal but the person selling was really flaky about getting back to us when we wanted to close the deal.

PHXscuba

I'm happy that the consensus is that it isn't a scam. I couldn't figure out the angle if it was. If it was an expensive antique I could see them trying to figure out when I wasn't going to be home and then try to steal it . . . okay, maybe the nightly news has me paranoid.

I'm sure the size and heft of it make it unpopular. Our neighborhood is having a garage sale then end of June so if we still have it then we'll haul it out and put a free sign on it. Our street gets very little traffic, otherwise I'd do that now.

Probably not a scam but a rude person who claims all The free stuff then decides if it is worth the effort to get.

What I do when I have stuff like this is write curb alert and put in outside your home near the street and remove the listing as soon as someone grabs it. You will have to post your address to do this.

I thought about that but because I don't think it's very desirable and it is very HEAVY I was afraid it would get more rain than takers.

It happens all the time. I giveaway items in a local forum and it is crazy how many people don't show. No good deed goes unpunished!

My sister's favorite expression.

A woman once paid me for a mirror, came to pick it up, couldn't fit it in her car, and said she'd come back for it. Never came back. I called and messaged multiple times and held it for 6 months before I sold it again. 🤷

We humans are an odd bunch, aren't we?

I've found that getting something for free equals zero effort/money expended, so very little followup.

I've honestly had better luck getting rid of something by pricing it ridiculously cheap because then they feel like they are getting a great deal. But peer-to-peer sales always have pitfalls and limitations. We bought a power tool yesterday off someone FB Marketplace because it was an incredible deal but the person selling was really flaky about getting back to us when we wanted to close the deal.

PHXscuba

That's probably a good idea. The old "you appreciate it more if you pay for it".

Put it on the curb and write a post saying "curb alert, first come first serve" it will be gone in a matter of hours.

If it gets rained on, just bust it up and toss it in the garbage. No big deal.

Put it on the curb and write a post saying "curb alert, first come first serve" it will be gone in a matter of hours.

If it gets rained on, just bust it up and toss it in the garbage. No big deal.
Good idea. As Ron Popeil (anyone remember him?) used to say, "set it and forget it."

Since I've admitted that no one wants it, you're right, if it gets rained on, so be it.

Why would this be a scam? A scam is someone trying to take your money. Or taking your money and not giving you what you thought you bought.

The only "scam" when it comes to giving away items for free is that sometimes the person getting the item will turn around and list the items for sale to make some money.

In the case above it doesn't seem like this would be the case as the person would not want to loose out and would want the item(s) quickly.

When I list "free" items on craigslist, I just leave the item on the curbside and let it disappear on its own.

No scam List it for 20.00 so the person has some skin in the game otherwise most people will likely not show.....
some reason that works far better than free I guess people would rather pay.
First 20 bucks takes it makes someone think they are getting a great deal... Free is apparently a bad deal.
And yes I learned this from experience with the unfortunate experience of cleaning out 2 houses in the past year.

Put it up on offerup for free or go through facebook marketplace. Or even Nextdoor app. Ususally 1 of the
3 someone will come.

Or like another poster said...donate to Veterans group or some other charity. I use to do that with all my furniture
I didn't want anymore.

No scam List it for 20.00 so the person has some skin in the game otherwise most people will likely not show.....
some reason that works far better than free I guess people would rather pay.
First 20 bucks takes it makes someone think they are getting a great deal... Free is apparently a bad deal.
And yes I learned this from experience with the unfortunate experience of cleaning out 2 houses in the past year.
We lived on a pretty busy street when I was growing up. My dad used to put stuff on the corner with a "Free!" sign. Once he put an old lawnmower out there, and a man stopped and asked a jillion questions about it. My dad finally said, "Look, it's free. Take it or don't."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter