If you could find out information on your ancient (B.C. era) ancestors, what would you want to know?

My Jewish dad likes to say that Moses was no friend of the Jews. If he'd just turned left instead of right, we'd have the oil fields! LOL

But yes, I would love to know about my ancient ancestors and the lives they lived.
Well there is always the historical Saudi Arabia Exodus theory.

One thing I would ask is how much do they about the historical Atlantis and the Trojan War.

I did 23and me and found out I am 1% Levantine and the rest Eastern European. That might be a good story. I imagine the Crusades and a dark eyed beauty in a burning love story. Realistically, someone was probably kidnapped into slavery.
Maybe this article article could give you more clues? I have no clue how accurate the article is however.

https://allthedifferences.com/what-...n-people-of-various-middle-eastern-countries/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusader_states

Either way, here is a list of Lavantine cuisine that you may like to try if you haven't tried any before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levantine_cuisine

A favorite of mine is one pot Kabsa Chicken:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/216889/al-kabsa-traditional-saudi-rice-and-chicken/

I use substitutes in the recipe with brown basmati rice and lime juice. The best thing about the recipe is you can make many substitutes to it to fit your taste preferences.

https://silkroadrecipes.com/kabsa-chicken-and-rice/

Another favorite Lavantine dish I enjoy is Musakhan chicken:

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/musakhan-sumac-chicken/

As someone who also has Levantine dna (well, technically Jewish but the same thing essentially), I find eating and trying dishes from the region helps bring me closer to that part of my heritage. I hope you enjoy the recipes if you try them. No worries if you have no interest in using them. 🙂

It would be interesting but to be honest, I'd just be happy to know more about my Grandparents on both sides.
Records either have been lost, never existed, or give conflicting information. And obituaries are largely works of fiction.

It would be interesting but to be honest, I'd just be happy to know more about my Grandparents on both sides.
Records either have been lost, never existed, or give conflicting information. And obituaries are largely works of fiction.
Yes! I'd deary love to spend some time with my great-grandparents! I never met my maternal great grandparents, although I did enjoy a nice, albeit short relationship with my paternal great grandparents...but I was a kid. I wasn't thinking of asking them about some of the family history, I didn't even know it yet.

I suppose if I DID get to talk to my ancient era ancestors I'd be curious as to their lifestyle. Peanut/gluten/shellfish/egg/fill in the blank type allergies? Did they sleep thru the night or were they partially nocturnal? Concepts of religion, family culture and day to day life would be interesting to hear about.

I don't think there is much information to be gleaned from my ancestors regarding me and my immediate family, rather just information that would be interesting from a cultural and historical way that is applicable to humans in general.

Ancestry's experts may be able to help you find answers that could help solve those questions, even if those records are lost. You may have unknown distant cousins/relatives that have the documents you are looking for.

Yes! I'd deary love to spend some time with my great-grandparents! I never met my maternal great grandparents, although I did enjoy a nice, albeit short relationship with my paternal great grandparents...but I was a kid. I wasn't thinking of asking them about some of the family history, I didn't even know it yet.

I suppose if I DID get to talk to my ancient era ancestors I'd be curious as to their lifestyle. Peanut/gluten/shellfish/egg/fill in the blank type allergies? Did they sleep thru the night or were they partially nocturnal? Concepts of religion, family culture and day to day life would be interesting to hear about.

I don't think there is much information to be gleaned from my ancestors regarding me and my immediate family, rather just information that would be interesting from a cultural and historical way that is applicable to humans in general.
Where is your ancestry from and what particular B.C. time period would you want to speak to your relatives?

Ancestry's experts may be able to help you find answers that could help solve those questions, even if those records are lost. You may have unknown distant cousins/relatives that have the documents you are looking for.
If you don't want to pay for Ancestry, I've found FamilySearch to have a lot of information available for free. I have my great-grandparents' marriage certificate from 1923 and another grandfather's birth certificate from 1921 though there.

Been down that road. They have the same issue I do. My favorite was a cousin that posted something about my Grandmother having a twin. Sloppy record keeping was uncovered there and it was not true.
On my mom's side we have the benefit of a lot of in person research my Uncle and Aunt did. My Grandparents were Czechoslovakian and my Uncle ( my mom's older brother) and his wife spent a month in Czechoslovakia, hired a drive and a translator and traveled the small villages that they were from. They met several people who could be cousins, but official records, IF they ever existed, no longer exist. And in talking to the people in the villages, most in their 70's and 80s at the time.....this was 30 years ago......THEY don't even have birth certificates.

3 of my 4 Grandparents passed before I was born, and my mom's father passed one month before we were going to Canada for me to meet him for the first time. I was 8 at the time, and I doubt I would have had even thought about asking him about any family history.
The allergy question is interesting. Healthcare was soooo different then. My mom grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere in Saskatchewan, Canada. She had a toothache when she was 16. The closest dentist was 100 miles away, so any treatment was out of the question, so my Grandfather had the Vet pull the tooth. This was 1939.

Been down that road. They have the same issue I do. My favorite was a cousin that posted something about my Grandmother having a twin. Sloppy record keeping was uncovered there and it was not true.
On my mom's side we have the benefit of a lot of in person research my Uncle and Aunt did. My Grandparents were Czechoslovakian and my Uncle ( my mom's older brother) and his wife spent a month in Czechoslovakia, hired a drive and a translator and traveled the small villages that they were from. They met several people who could be cousins, but official records, IF they ever existed, no longer exist. And in talking to the people in the villages, most in their 70's and 80s at the time.....this was 30 years ago......THEY don't even have birth certificates.
Are you talking about the experts or the general website?

I'm running into the same issue researching my dad's Eastern European relatives. My mom's side was all Western Europe, and I've got a nice Ancestry family tree going back centuries. But my dad's side was all Jews escaping from the Holocaust, or the Pogroms, or pick your persecution as we travel even further back in time. And those records are just totally missing.

Are you talking about the experts or the general website?
The website. But have used the Mormon church experts too. They concur. The areas of the world we are interested in are in the black hole, largely because records just weren't kept.

The website. But have used the Mormon church experts too. They concur. The areas of the world we are interested in are in the black hole, largely because records just weren't kept.
The experts are better than the general website. They may be worth contacting just to get a second opinion. They have more resources than the average subscription.

The experts are better than the general website. They may be worth contacting just to get a second opinion. They have more resources than the average subscription.
Well, not sure they are any better than my Aunt and Uncle actually going to the towns our family was from and going to the various Government offices to find out that the records don't exist.

I know my ancestry, so that isn't in question.
I wasn't questioning your ancestorial knowledge, just if there was a particular time period you would want to explore that your ancestors were involved in within a particular region. I meant no disrespect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter