If you had to do it over again, would you change your direct/resale strategy?

SkampyOne

Mouseketeer
I'm curious... we have the thread about why would anyone buy direct, but I'd love to know if anyone who only has resale sometimes kicks themselves for not buying direct (since the buy in minimum jumped to 150 points) or who has since done so for the blue card or is thinking about biting the bullet? Likewise, anyone who bought direct who thinks they might have been better off sticking with resale? If you had to do it over again, would you change your buying method? Feel like this is the one decision that causes the most angst (no, just me?!?) and would love to hear from others. Is the blue card worth the up front outlay? If the "value" of the card is MM (if you can get in), having the flexibility to stay at all future resorts (especially once several are done in 2042), plus lounge access, does it justify the added expense? I'm removing discounts from the equation since those can be had with an AP or Disney card... What say you? :chat:

We bought resale before the card changes and have a blue card. No regrets at all!
So at least two contracts, one direct AFTER the bump? If so, sounds like you saw value in having the blue card - helpful to me, thank you!

Every situation is very different, but ours for 150 CCV points the difference was 7k and we wanted the points right away to use for a family trip. I can imagine if the difference is more like 20k it would be a tougher decision.

We went direct. My Wife also wanted to be able to use new resorts for that price difference. We have added on 50 resale to that total.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the bump" but we have two 200pt contracts purchased before any restrictions on card types. So we got a blue card when we bought resale. We have no direct points.

I'm not sure the blue card is worth it now that you can only get it buying direct. I like the perks, but I'd have to crunch the numbers to see if it would be worth it to me to buy direct.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the bump" but we have two 200pt contracts purchased before any restrictions on card types. So we got a blue card when we bought resale. We have no direct points.

I'm not sure the blue card is worth it now that you can only get it buying direct. I like the perks, but I'd have to crunch the numbers to see if it would be worth it to me to buy direct.
Got it - lucky you!!! Now that resale doesn't qualify you for membership extras, and the minimum buy-in is 150 points, you're right, that extra $7K is something to think about. Who knows how many new resorts will come out where we would be restricted? If I could get Moonlight Magic once/year, that would make the math work, but what I've read, those seem like long odds. So the inner debate continues...

Every situation is very different, but ours for 150 CCV points the difference was 7k and we wanted the points right away to use for a family trip. I can imagine if the difference is more like 20k it would be a tougher decision.

We went direct. My Wife also wanted to be able to use new resorts for that price difference. We have added on 50 resale to that total.
That's exactly the price point difference I'm looking at and trying to figure out if worth it. I think I would be happy with any of the existing properties, but I don't know what I don't know 😂

What I kick myself about is not buying a Poly 25 pointer when that was all you needed for blue card. We have a blue card since one of our resale qualifies us. The rest don’t. Our 50 point direct will take us past losing our blue card.

What I kick myself about is not buying a Poly 25 pointer when that was all you needed for blue card. We have a blue card since one of our resale qualifies us. The rest don’t. Our 50 point direct will take us past losing our blue card.
Yup... wish I could find the booklet I got from my guide several years ago at CCV to see what points were going for as I was probably only looking at 100 to start... For those who were grandfathered in, or bought just before they raised to 150 points - I am deeply envious!

I started with resale (60 pts) back in 2007. The spread between resale and direct was only $12/pt. At the time the minimum direct buy in was 160 (I think, maybe 150). I didn't have $16,000 to pay cash right at that time. Within 2 months I had bought 40 points direct for $98 per point. At the time resale points were exactly the same as direct perkwise, but it was too hard to find another small resale with my April UY. My strategy was to get in and stay at BW. Doing this I was left with no debt. A year later I picked up a 50 pt loaded contract, when I wasn't looking for one at $82 per point. I know this is laughable now, but my debt aversion isn't in the normal range. :blush:

ETA: the only thing I regret is not buying more points within the next few years. I always thought their price increases were outrageous...now? Oh well, you know what they say about hindsight.

We are resale only. I am absolutely envious of direct members (and now DVC-invited Disney influencers) who get to attend MM events, but it is unlikely I would be able to make an event like that for the foreseeable future as our lives and responsibilities have changed since we purchased (for the better!). I don’t care for the Epcot lounge. I am disappointed I can’t show off Top of the World to my guests, but I never got to go anyway so I can’t exactly miss what I didn’t have.

I intended to buy-in direct at some point, but we’ve made really great use of our resale points. We own 160 points at AKV but have stayed at Poly, BWV (boardwalk view!!! But in the dead of summer 🥵), BCV, AKV, and I have an upcoming stay at BLT during spring break. I have a $/lifetime point threshold that varies based on resale supply and demand and the rental market, and I can’t envision a scenario where direct would ever be “worth it” for us. Maybe when we near retirement and have more flexibility in travel opportunities and would like to stay at the newest resort, but by that point I’d probably rather enjoy some wine on the real French Riviera (although the wine lists at some signature Disney restaurants are exceptional).

And like most I often wish we had more points, but that really only becomes an issue when planning an extended family trip like I’m trying to do at the moment! Otherwise, our initial contract works well for us.

That's exactly the price point difference I'm looking at and trying to figure out if worth it. I think I would be happy with any of the existing properties, but I don't know what I don't know 😂
Also we got the 2021 points for free so that was nice to get a loaded contract.

Plus I didn’t know what was going to happen in 2042. We wanted to be able to use those properties assuming they will no longer be available to resale.

We're a prime example of what many on these boards consider buying dumb.

We knew we only wanted VGF so bought it off-sale direct 6 years ago. We added a small direct VGF contract a couple years later to give us more assurance we'd have enough points to go at least every other year.

Not sorry at all. Paid cash for both and got what we wanted without all the will-it-pass-ROFR anguish. Points landed in our membership immediately. No hassle.

A year ago, we added 150 VGF resale points shortly before VGF2 went onsale, despite most people's advice to the contrary. Got them for $20 less per point than the onsale price turned out to be. And the resale price-per didn't drop dramatically as most everybody said it would. Not sorry again.

So, my advice to the OP is to decide what will please you most and just go for whatever you can reasonably afford that seems a good deal to you. Sometimes, what everybody else thinks is the smart approach isn't necessarily.

Only regret is not buying direct when it dropped down to 25 pts to get blue card. Back then though kids were young and we stayed at moderate hotels and didn’t think DVC was for us in UK as loads of free dining deals.

Our first contract was 150 direct at SSR. Got us a 2054 resort and Blue Card. No desire to purchase any more SSR points, just like them for the 2054 expiration. Since then, we have added on an additional 325 points, at BRV, split 50 direct and 275 resale. We only bought the additional 50 direct at BRV as a buffer in case Disney tries to pull some shenanigans and doesn't grandfather if the ME minimum goes up from 150. Otherwise, I'd never pay sold out resort prices for a 2042 resort. We just added 40 resale at OKW to give us 500+ points total, just to make sure we have enough points for 10 days per year in a 2BR at most resorts, all seasons.

ETA: Had a typo and had SSR as 2057 expiration. It's obviously 2054, so I've updated it. Never type on your phone at 6 am.

Last edited:
The only difference for me is that I would have waited for a AKV resale instead of buying direct. We had 200 BWV points and 230 OKW points and we wanted AKV because we loved the Lodge. We sold OKW to buy AKV but we only bought 100 points (2 50 point contracts) so didn't buy enough points to be a "founder" and get the special gift or our name on the tapestry even though we bought in the preview period. At least we only paid about $97 per point.

I was tempted by the $170-ish VGF2 buy in for existing members, but I just didn't bite the bullet. Now, it's a year later, VGF2 still isn't sold out, and APs are still gone. As long as APs are gone, I'm uncertain about this whole product. I just don't get who is buying this. With all resale, I feel like I can just sell. Maybe not right now, yikes, but soon enough.

Our first contract was 150 direct at SSR. Got us a 2057 resort and Blue Card. No desire to purchase any more SSR points, just like them for the 2057 expiration. Since then, we have added on an additional 325 points, at BRV, split 50 direct and 275 resale. We only bought the additional 50 direct at BRV as a buffer in case Disney tries to pull some shenanigans and doesn't grandfather if the ME minimum goes up from 150. Otherwise, I'd never pay sold out resort prices for a 2042 resort. We just added 40 resale at OKW to give us 500+ points total, just to make sure we have enough points for 10 days per year in a 2BR at most resorts, all seasons.
I thought SS expires in 2054?

I thought SS expires in 2054?
It does expire in 2054.

Anyways to answer OPs question, I like owning both and feeling like I'm not missing out on anything. I imagine my point breakdown in the future will be 40% direct, 60% resale. I'd like to have enough points to know I can book a 2BR at any future resorts Disney comes out with but also getting some of the savings that comes with resale. There's really no need to go all in one way or another unless you really want to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter