If you need a US passport renewal, I would recommend doing it now!

Recently it was a 12 week wait to get them back. A month is nothing compared to that. My sister got them for her kids and it only took 3 weeks and that was with in the past month.

I got my photos taken today and will send the renewal in tomorrow.

I was glad I didn't pay for expedited. I think it was 4 weeks between the appointment at the USPS and when we got all our documents back. The passports came about 10-14 days after the USPS appointment.

The state department does recommend this time of year as a time of year to get a passport, as demand is lower.

ETA: The USPS appointment was on November 25th, the passports were in the mailbox on December 8.

Supposedly wait times are down from what they were last Spring and this summer. However, you should never cut it close; allow more than enough time. My son’s passport wasn’t due until next month. However, we want it for a trip to Japan in June and wanted it for a cruise in December. We went ahead and renewed in August before school started to ensure we could get an appointment and so we didn’t have to take him out of school. Last time he had to do it in person, since he’s older now.

Supposedly wait times are down from what they were last Spring and this summer.
They are way down. IIRC it was 12 weeks last summer and it's now, according to the Dept of State, down to 6 to 8 weeks for regular service and 2-3 for expedited. However a lot of people are reporting as quick as 3 weeks to a month for regular service and that includes shipping time.

My sister had her kids back 3 weeks to the day from sending them out about a month ago.

I sent my renewal out on Thursday and it arrived in Philly today and says it's due for delivery by tonight.

Passport renewal arrived in Philly early Sat (1-20) and was picked up late Sat according to the USPS. At some point late this afternoon (1-23) it entered the system and says "In Process."

Last edited:

Just received an email around 3p that my passport has shipped. That's 10 days after it went "In processing". Glad I didn't pay to get it expedited

We renewed all 4 of our passports late last year because we heard it was taking months to get them back. My 2 boys needed to renew in person since they both were minors when their last passports were issued. DH and I sent ours off via mail. The boys got their passports within 2-weeks here in Hawaii. Since DH and I had our go to Philly (I think that was the address), it took about 6-weeks. What I'm most irritated about is that when DH and oldest DS renewed their global entry, they were approved within 2-days but we never got the new cards. Now I have to report them "lost" and pay $25/pp on top of the original cost to renew!!

Got my passport back in the mail today. 18 days after sending it in. Now to put some stamps in it.

Since DH and I had our go to Philly (I think that was the address), it took about 6-weeks.
Yep, everyone except California, Florida, Illinois, Minnesota, New York, or Texas sends to Philly.

Sent mine to Philly but it came back from Arkansas, I've heard others that have come back from Arizona. Not sure if they do everything except the printing in Philly or if once accepted by Philly they get processed and printed elsewhere.

My son had to apply for an adult one since the old one was for a child. It took 2 weeks. He just got it back a week ago.

I collect passports…
I do wonder why it is important to contact every known whatever when death occurs such as drivers license for example… but the Passport does not require notification.
Seems like anybody could steal identity if passport is accidentally tossed out with old family portraits, etc. Anyway …did you know their is a Presidential Passport to purchase and have officially stamped everytime you visit a new Presidential library?
Target sold a Santa Passport design with their ornaments! It’s pretty fun and authentic miniature design !

Keep your official passport safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter