Ignore. Just practicing posting pics

Just found this thread today and decided to ignore it also.

All I can say is "WOW". All of those picks are awesome. And make sure you say thanks from yet another new lover of your mom's OCHD: Obsessive Compulsive Hoarding Disorder. ;)

And yes that is a real disorder for the doubters out there. ::yes::

IDWD-

Wow to the photos of Discovery Island. There are no beaches on Discovery Island now- everything is grown right up to the water line!

TCD

More like the beaches have eroded to the tree line.

Sorry TCD....no # anywhere in the thing.

Darn! Thanks for checking. Does the book have a formal title or publication date or anything that I could use for a search?

All I can say is "WOW". All of those picks are awesome. And make sure you say thanks from yet another new lover of your mom's OCHD: Obsessive Compulsive Hoarding Disorder. ;)

Oh yes, I believe there are reality TV shows on competing networks about this- but KFK's mom is a good hoarder.

More like the beaches have eroded to the tree line.

You think? I don't know. Then the island would look a lot smaller than it does now, no? And the Fort's beaches would have eroded, too- but I don't think they have. You might be right. I know that they had to finally build sea walls over by the Contemporary on the way to the water bridge because of all the boat wake erosion.

TCD

TCD,

It is just titled "Walt Disney World". No other description is in it. It was available for purchase in the resorts and parks in the mid 80's. I posted the cover shot a few pages back.

You think? I don't know. Then the island would look a lot smaller than it does now, no? And the Fort's beaches would have eroded, too- but I don't think they have. You might be right. I know that they had to finally build sea walls over by the Contemporary on the way to the water bridge because of all the boat wake erosion.

TCD

Maybe a little bit of both, but when I first started staying at the Fort in 2001, I distinctly remember that boat actually resting on sand, then over the years it slowly is now totally in the water. They probably actually maintain the Fort beaches by adding sand.

I'm thinking like Carol...a bit of both has gone on. I looked at the recent satellite shot of the pirate ship, here:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=nr1y96862g4z&scene=36379129&lvl=2&sty=b&sp=Point.nr1y95862g50_Discovery%20Island____

And compared it to the picture from the book, here:

e102f6ed.jpg

I'm thinking, if the beach had eroded all the way back to the tree line, that ship would be surrounded by water even more than it is. My guess is, when they developed the island, Disney probably cut back the vegetation from the shore, imported sand and groomed those beaches to achieve the look of the original Treasure Island. When the island was abandoned, the sand eventually did somewhat wash away leaving more of the natural shoreline. Without grooming, the vegetation grew back to the water's edge.

That's my guess.

I did a search on amazon for "Walt Disney World" book then refined it to hardcover the sorted by published date.
Simple :rotfl:

I did a search on amazon for "Walt Disney World" book then refined it to hardcover the sorted by published date.
Simple :rotfl:

Well, duh. I could have done that.

I just figured with a generic title like "Walt Disney World," I would never find it.

I think you might have created a run on that book with your link.

When I first looked at it, there were several sellers selling the book in the $6.50 price range. When I clicked on the first one, it was no longer available. But, then I got the second one. When I looked again, there was only one left in the $6.50 price range, and the rest were $16.00 and above.
I wonder if it is Disboarders snapping these up?

I meant to comment on this text from IDWD's photo:

rcparagraph.jpg

No wonder they had concerns about the safety of the water in River Country. This gravitational filtration system doesn't sound like the most sanitary or efficient way to sanitize water in a water park.

I can't wait until my copy of this book comes!

TCD

No wonder they had concerns about the safety of the water in River Country. This gravitational filtration system doesn't sound like the most sanitary or efficient way to sanitize water in a water park.

TCD

Make no mistake. The water wasn't filtered or sanitized at all. This system merely ensured that the water was constantly recirculated with the "fresh" water in the lake. The last time we visited RC in 2001 me and another were pretty sick the day after with flu like symptoms. No bueno!

I met a friend for lunch today and had my computer on the table and he saw the pics IDWD posted of the old Marshmellow roast and singalong. He immediately said hey isn't that Fort Wilderness. He visited the fort in 77 with his mom, brother and sister in a pop up. He mentioned a cup they used to give as a souvie with musket mickey on it. He even offered to let me have it but the particular trip he spoke of was right after his dad passed and his mom brought them to the fort for a getaway and I just couldn't take the memento. He is going to get it out of the attic Sunday when he takes the jet skis out so I will take a pic of it for sure. He also said he has an 8mm video of this trip. I am going to get it put on a dvd for him and if it has something us fiends would be interested in I'll have to put it on Youtube. BTW so glad I ignored this post.

This thread is getting harder and harder to ignore.....Im now signing on just to see if there are any new posts on it!!

Wow, I go to one little T-ball game and just look at what happens. Post after post of new great stuff.

I'mDownWithDisney, YES, there was a swimming area at FW in Bay Lake, in fact there was a swimming area at ALL Bay Lake Resorts at one time. I'm not sure which watercraft you were referring to in your post. I'm assuming it's the one with the big balloon tires that you pedal. If so, there's a reason they're not around anymore. They're MISERABLE! Kinda like a surrey on the water! :scared: Pedaling a boat in the FL heat, with no shade. Sounds like a real dream come true. Great way to relax at the Fort. :laughing:

Yes, and notice the 500 loop, which is now Buffalo Bend, was called Terry Trail at that time. Terry was a major line of TT's from Fleetwood.

These old brochures are always fascinating! Can't wait for the burger wrapper...might have to post that on the Salivation thread too.

Glad you enjoyed. Got tons more coming tomorrow night after I visit dear mom. I'll def put the burger wrapper on the Salivation Thread. I don't know how appetizing an old food wrapper from the 70's will be, but it can't be any worse than the pic of you know who eating you know what! :lmao:

IDWD-
Somehow, I am thinking KFK's hamburger wrapper isn't going to top this.

TCD

WHAT! BITE YOUR TONGUE YOUNG MAN! A few really terrific pics of dams, bridges, river country etc. and you just turn on me...just like that. Poor mom and her old burger wrapper! Talk about being fickle! :rotfl:

And she's very neat too! From the outside looking in, you'd never know of her hoarding ways! She keeps it tidy and organized. :thumbsup2

Well, duh. I could have done that.

I just figured with a generic title like "Walt Disney World," I would never find it.

rcparagraph.jpg

TCD

:scared1: We're all just lucky to be alive, swimming in that nasty water. We could've been infected with something!

Make no mistake. The water wasn't filtered or sanitized at all. This system merely ensured that the water was constantly recirculated with the "fresh" water in the lake. The last time we visited RC in 2001 me and another were pretty sick the day after with flu like symptoms. No bueno!

Double YIKES! :scared1::scared1:

I'll be visiting mom tomorrow. Burger wrapper coming right up. Maybe even a few other surprises too! ;)

I met a friend for lunch today and had my computer on the table and he saw the pics IDWD posted of the old Marshmellow roast and singalong. He immediately said hey isn't that Fort Wilderness. He visited the fort in 77 with his mom, brother and sister in a pop up. He mentioned a cup they used to give as a souvie with musket mickey on it. He even offered to let me have it but the particular trip he spoke of was right after his dad passed and his mom brought them to the fort for a getaway and I just couldn't take the memento. He is going to get it out of the attic Sunday when he takes the jet skis out so I will take a pic of it for sure. He also said he has an 8mm video of this trip. I am going to get it put on a dvd for him and if it has something us fiends would be interested in I'll have to put it on Youtube. BTW so glad I ignored this post.

Honorable Mr. Mayor- Please post a photo of the cup! I'm not sure I have ever seen such a thing. I wonder if it is an old, brown, refillable mug?

Oh, I know it was good old lake water in there! Some day, I will have to re-tell my River Country water moccasin story.

. . .but it can't be any worse than the pic of you know who eating you know what!

WHAT! BITE YOUR TONGUE YOUNG MAN! A few really terrific pics of dams, bridges, river country etc. and you just turn on me...just like that. Poor mom and her old burger wrapper! Talk about being fickle! :rotfl:

I'll be visiting mom tomorrow. Burger wrapper coming right up. Maybe even a few other surprises too! ;)

Who? ;)

What? ;)

OK, I bit my tongue, as you requested. I am sorry for dissing your burger wrapper. I actually really do want to see it. My apologies to KFK's Mom, too.

I think when that burger wrapper scan gets posted, I am going to designate this thread as the best thread of 2010!

We are almost to 100 posts, here.

All on a thread that we were told to ignore.

Only on the camping boards!

TCD

Wow, compliments from the master historian/investigative reporter/TR Genius Extraordinaire....I am truly humbled and honored. Should I refer to you as Honorable Grasshopper? ;) Seriously, thanks for the reply. I agree that the shipwreck looks smaller these days....perhaps an investivation is in order!? Then again there's not much, if any, sandy beach left either. Very curious indeed. I will dig up as many old Fort pics as possible. (There may even be a few River Country pics to be found.)

I think my mom may have actually made the lovely plaid pants. Designs by Shirley. :laughing: At least they stayed together....unlike the year of the Christmas pants, but that's a story for another time. :rotfl:

Don't know if there are any Fort fishin' pics.......YET. This is the year! We SHALL fish at the Fort! May have some from Thurmond Lake or Hunting Island CG if ya don't mind they're not from the Fort. Incidentally, just last weekend my brother caught a 48 inch something or other. Not sure what kind. From what I hear the battle was like something off River Monster! :lmao: I'm gonna Have to post that pic for sure!

ADD: I found these just a while ago. They're not goldie oldies, but they are interesting...a few things out of FW past.

Security at the Fort....somebody had to keep an eye on the hippies! The Fort MUST
be magical. Where else can a girl randomly take a picture of a good looking guy on a horse
for no apparent reason and hubby doesn't get mad? 1997

KSCN0032.jpg

Minnie Moo....The Cow"Belle" of the Ball 1997
KSCN0033.jpg

13months old and reading the Fort signs already! Genius! 2004
KSCN0034.jpg

Our final peacock sighting. 2004 Still looking for proof of FW otters.
KSCN0035.jpg

Oh Great and Elusive Disney Mole, I beseech Thee.....Please, oh please bring back the sign!
KSCN0036.jpg

KFK, LOVE all the old pictures! I have tried to find all our old pictures, unfortunately my family is not as "organized" as your mom! I guess at the time they're taken you don't realize how valuable they will be years from then.
I love the picture of baby "reading" and makes me think of one our my family's funniest memories of the fort. My son was just learning to read, and we were at the beach for the EWP when he sat in front of a sign for some time before declaring " I know what this sign says!" And proud as a peacock, read "NO FISHING FOR DUCKS!!" In reality it said No fishing from docks, but he was close, and I was proud! :love: Fun memories!

I can't ignore any more.....

This is post 99....

and do we have any other drinks besides beer in here? :confused3

Can someone order me a mudslide from Crockett's?:love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter