I'm a resale member only and got discounts!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucknut2710

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

I just recently became a DVC member through the resale market in September and made my first trip to WDW a couple of weeks ago! I was under the impression that as a resale member, I am not eligible for the discounts on food and merchandise.

However, when asked by CMs, I figured I would play confused and show them a screenshot of my DVC ID. It worked at every location for both food and merch!

Did I just get lucky about 8 or 9 times or is this something that normally does not happen?!

The food and merchandise discounts are supposed to be limited to those who can show they are exempt from the applicable resale restriction such as by showing a blue membership card. As to incidental benefits such as food and merchandise discounts, the resale restriction applies to resales purchased on or after April 4, 2016, which restriction can be overcome by the ownership of varying amounts of points purchased from DVD.

Thus, you were not supposed to get the discounts, and likely did due to the fact that the applicable CM's did not know the applicable rules.

Hi all,

I just recently became a DVC member through the resale market in September and made my first trip to WDW a couple of weeks ago! I was under the impression that as a resale member, I am not eligible for the discounts on food and merchandise.

However, when asked by CMs, I figured I would play confused and show them a screenshot of my DVC ID. It worked at every location for both food and merch!

Did I just get lucky about 8 or 9 times or is this something that normally does not happen?!
You got lucky, asking for and receiving a discount that you knew you weren’t entitled to get by playing dumb. Go, you! Don’t expect it next time.

Most CM's don't really care to tell a DVC member that they're the wrong type of member and don't get discounts, and will just give you the discount. Your experience is not unique, but you shouldn't expect it every time. Eventually you'll come across a CM who will tell you no.

And it's probably more DVC that cares to protect the "buy direct" mantra vs the retail and food locations who charge a premium for that cheap t shirt and piece of chicken and then give the discount to various card holders.

Got it, thanks everyone. I apologize if it appears I should not have taken advantage of perks only resigned for direct DVC members.

Most CM's don't really care to tell a DVC member that they're the wrong type of member and don't get discounts, and will just give you the discount. Your experience is not unique, but you shouldn't expect it every time. Eventually you'll come across a CM who will tell you no.
Right, and can you blame them? No way I would argue over something that petty, especially for less than $15 an hour.

I'm a resale owner, and I've never been asked to see a "blue card" for discounts at registers. If I'm at a DVC resort, the cashier will usually ask "DVC member"? and I say yes. I am a DVC member after all.

At first, I thought this was normal, it wasnt until a trip this year that I realized the discount does not apply to resale DVC members. So I don't ask for discounts. But I don't know how much the CMs care. There was a cashier at OKW who would just put in the discount every time without even asking, for example.

DVC owners who do not have a blue card are not supposed to get the merchandise discounts. However, what happens at a register with a CM is up to them as whether or not they are following the appropriate rules.

Since this topic usually ends in debates of right or wrong, I am going to close it down now. Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter