I'm back from my WDW wedding and honeymoon....

sajetto

Wedding Pavilion Bride 2007
and I feel torn about the DVC purchase I made in Feb '06. We had our very first stay as actual members in a DVC resort and to stretch out our points we stayed at OKW and fell in LOVE:love:

There is a problem though, we loved it so much that my husband is refusing to stay there or anywhere other than OKW unless its impossible to book there. This really has me worried that we should own at OKW rather than SSR. We bought into SSR because it has those extra years, but we do most of our traveling in the summer when crowd levels are higher. Does anyone have any words of wisdom who has owned DVC long enough to know what the best thing to do is? Do we need to sell our SSR contract and buy into OKW with those travel times in order to get a reservation?

SSR was very nice, but OKW had the vegetation we're looking for, the laid back atmosphere, and a better room size.

Do we need to sell our SSR contract and buy into OKW with those travel times in order to get a reservation?

Congratulations. Glad you had a great first trip together.

No you shouldn't sell your SSR to buy OKW. OKW is generally available at 7 months so it would be a waste of money to sell your SSR and buy OKW. Try keeping things as you currently have them for a while to make sure it works out the way you want it to.

He said he will go to other places if OKW is sold out. That alone takes care of things. Follow that premise. It's not like he said that he simply won't go anyplace else.

Have fun.

HBC

Nope. I would stay put. I own at BWV and SSR and also love OKW. I have never had a problem booking into OKW on any of the trips that I wanted to at all. And some were last minute. The only reason one would need OKW in your situation is to "guarantee" booking on a GV and it doesn't seem that it what you are looking for and even then a waiting list and/or 7 months might cover that anyway.

I would keep what you have and book OKW.

Also, summer is high time at WDW but not at DVC at all. It's not high demand for DVC units.

Congratulations on your wedding and marriage!!!

All the best,

Lisa

Whew, that's good to hear!

On a year that we decide to go closer to the holidays will we have any problems or is it more or a GV thing that's a problem?

Summer does not seem to be a busy time for DVC members so you should be fine especially at OKW which is a larger DVC.:) I think the 7 mos window is sufficient for OKW because of it's size. The GVs are another story from what I've heard.

I believe SSR is the only DVC available right now for purchase...The only option you might have is to sell yours and buy from someone who is selling their:confused3 OKW deed.

Congratulations! I remember seeing your countdown and thinking the wedding was just around the corner. You look very happy in your signature picture.

I would wait and see how things go--you may find in the near future that you are able to buy a small OKW contract and have the 11 month window you are looking for. I haven't read of anyone having trouble booking OKW--like you said, maybe just the GV. I just booked OKW 34 days out and had no problem for February--another busy time at WDW.

Congratulations again!

Whew, that's good to hear!

On a year that we decide to go closer to the holidays will we have any problems or is it more or a GV thing that's a problem?
IMHO, the only OKW unit tough to get at 7 months is a Grand Villa -no matter what time of the year you want to visit.

So as long as you are willing to call as soon as the 7 month window opens, you should be able to book OKW.

Congratulations on your marriage! Sounds like you will have many trips together to look forward to!

I wouldn't panic. OKW is actually pretty easy to get into at 7 months or even later. (Now if he had fallen in love with BCV or VWL then I might panic! LOL!)

Congratulations on your marriage, and I agree that your picture is beautiful!

Bobbi:goodvibes

As stated DVC is not that hard to get in the summer months. Park crowds are not a reflection of resort occupany and especially DVC.

Have you stayed at SSR? If not, and your honeymoon was your first DVC stay, possibly your husband was just in love, period. ;)

OKW is a fabulous resort and you should be able to book there during the summer without problems. That said, your husband might enjoy the other resorts just as much once he tries them and has a great stay.

Of course OKW will be special now.

and I feel torn about the DVC purchase I made in Feb '06. We had our very first stay as actual members in a DVC resort and to stretch out our points we stayed at OKW and fell in LOVE:love:

There is a problem though, we loved it so much that my husband is refusing to stay there or anywhere other than OKW unless its impossible to book there. This really has me worried that we should own at OKW rather than SSR. We bought into SSR because it has those extra years, but we do most of our traveling in the summer when crowd levels are higher. Does anyone have any words of wisdom who has owned DVC long enough to know what the best thing to do is? Do we need to sell our SSR contract and buy into OKW with those travel times in order to get a reservation?

SSR was very nice, but OKW had the vegetation we're looking for, the laid back atmosphere, and a better room size.

I hope this doesn't come off wrong. I'm a happily married man. You looked beautiful in your wedding photo.(Hey, I'm marrieed, not dead)

I would keep SSR points and see how it goes. If you have problems booking then make that decision. I really think it will be fine, OKW is a large resort.

I juts booked BWV standard view one bedroom at 4 months out for May using SSR points. 7 month booking is not nearly as tough as some lead us to believe.

Congrats and good luck with everything.

I feel a lot better now and we'll definitely hold on to those SSR points then. Also thanks for the congrats everyone and dumbo thank you, I felt pretty, but of course make up is responsible for that;)

Congratulations on your marriage! We own at BWV I love it there, but I also love staying at OKW.

Congratulations on your marriage!

The only advice I would give you is about the holidays, Late November and December in particular. When we tried to book SSR three months out, it was already booked solid. Our waitlist didn't work out, so we had to rent a confirmed reservation from someone who couldn't go. IF you want to go during the end of year holidays, book SSR at 11 months and see if you can transfer it at 7 months.

Best wishes for a magical life together! And you were indeed beautiful.:grouphug:

On our way there (OKW) for a week (studio)...we own at BWV....now there i sometimes have to wait, but never at OKW...our friends at staying at SSR and they own at BCV.....this was a last minute trip of sorts.......I hope i am around for our youngest gr-D to have a Disney wedding..........

We own at SSR for about 3 years but have stayed at OKW every time we HAVE gone down! No problems making reservations in a studio! This year we are branching out and trying BWV.

Congratulations on your special day!!!

I wouldn't worry at all about having SSR points as the resorts that people really fight for at the 7mo. mark are BCV, BWV, VWL due to the size and location. Plus, don't forget that once AKV are built (which will be huge!) many existing members will want to stay there, therefore freeing up other home resorts.

Also, aren't they working on building up DTD even more? When that happens, it will also draw more people to SSR.

And last but not least, if it really does get to a point where you are unable to secure reservations at OKW during the time you prefer to travel...maybe you can find some members of the DIS that own there and would be willing to work some kind of trade/transfer that would allow you to book @ 11mos.

Congratulations Sajetto!!

You do look lovely and your Dh is not so shabby either! :goodvibes

Congrats again:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter