Inaugural Disney Wine&Dine**1/2 Marathon** Post Race Discussion!

Thanks! I was thinking of trying for the Princess 1/2 in March, but when I started looking late last year I figured I really wouldn't have enough time to train like I would like to . . . and it's too cold to run outside in the wintertime!! :) Or at least, to start running.

Must....stop....do....not...book.....cheap....airfare.....to...this...race.....!

Why is Delta dangling a $130RT airfare in front of my nose? I'm just about getting DH okay with the idea of me going to DLR 1/2 in September! (And I actually have a bounceback ressie at PO-FQ)

Maura

Must....stop....do....not...book.....cheap....airfare.....to...this...race.....!

Why is Delta dangling a $130RT airfare in front of my nose? I'm just about getting DH okay with the idea of me going to DLR 1/2 in September! (And I actually have a bounceback ressie at PO-FQ)

Maura

I've been checking airfare today for this one too. So far the cheapest for me is going out of Akron instead of Cleveland and I'm looking at $218.80 round trip. I'm not sure if even Southwest will beat that, although I would rather fly out of Cleveland.

I'm pretty much sure I'll be doing this one now.

Maura

Holy Crow. I think I will see about that airfare...

I'm in for this as well. It will be myself, hubby, all four of our children and their significant others. We're all doing it as relay teams. We're trying to shuffle everybody up and make the teams as equally handicapped as possible. I can't register until the teams are made up, but we're definitely in. It's our Christmas gift to our children.
We'll be staying at OKW in a Grand Villa. I know the busses won't go there and we won't have any cars, but we'll come up with a plan somehow. Is it possible to walk from POR-FQ to OKW? I know they're close by car, but not sure how to walk it.

MUST . . . do that 130 round trip!! :)

We're showing $140-$150 now for a DC round trip, which is pretty great, but I'm going to wait 'til SW puts out their schedules for October . . . I'm a very loyal SW customer after they saved our trip to Hawaii 2 years ago.

My husband & I are going to do this as the relay for our 1st disney running event. I'll get the first half & he'll get the second.

Obviously we have a far way to go with our training.

My husband & I are going to do this as the relay for our 1st disney running event. I'll get the first half & he'll get the second.

Obviously we have a far way to go with our training.

Welcome to the club!

I have officially begun my training for the half relay as well. I went to the library and got Running for Mortals by John "The Penguin" Bingham. He was interviewed by Dave Parfitt DISUnplugged special correspondent. Blog here.

I like the 10 week training programs in the book and the general advice. I would highly recommend it for beginning runners. :wizard:

DH says he'll come to cheer me on and I figure that we can also do MNSSHP for the first time that Friday night - since it doesn't seem like they do them on Sundays?

hmm, they DO do MNSSP on Sundays, and my family prefers the Sunday to the Friday on race weekend. We get too tired, too early if we START with MNNSHP on Friday night.

I haven't checked the dates, but I thought if you signed up for the Halloween family 5K, your entry fee included a ticket to MNSSHP for that Sunday night??

We still haven't committed to this race. Still stinging over the airfare for Princess. And I have to figure out about DL1/2 before I can get to thinking about this one!!!

I haven't checked the dates, but I thought if you signed up for the Halloween family 5K, your entry fee included a ticket to MNSSHP for that Sunday night??

Wow! This is new info, but you are correct. If you do the 5K you get a ticket for MNSSHP for Oct. 3! Ugh, just when I had decided to do the half-relay!
Ah, I see now that they changed the info on the 5K; it WAS that if you did the 5K you got entrance to the Finish line party at Epcot on 10/2, but that is no longer the case.

I will be doing MNSSHP likely on 10/3 anyway. Who else will be there???

OK, I signed up for the half and the 5K -- talk about a leap of faith. Now just a few minor details... paying for the room, paying for the gas...

Well, this stuff usually comes together in the end. :wizard:

Just saw in your siggie that you're running the Creeper this year! Have a great time it's an amazing race! It's been awhile since I ran it but it was a fun race for me and gorgeous scenery!

ok I'm on the fence--I'm definitely doing the 5k, but not so sure if I can take away from the family vacation to do the 1/2- but I'm still debating on if I'm being selfish or not to the family---so consider me a strong, strong maybe!

hmm, they DO do MNSSP on Sundays, and my family prefers the Sunday to the Friday on race weekend. We get too tired, too early if we START with MNNSHP on Friday night.

Huh - this was actually my preference and original plan, but then when I looked at last year's dates, it didn't seem like they did Sundays until much closer to Halloween . . . well, I will keep a lookout!

I swear, depending on MNSSHP dates and whether MSEP sticks around through October, I have no idea what my travel dates will be for the 1/2 marathon! (Yes, yes, must keep my priorities in order!) :)

Count us in!

My daughter and her boyfriend ran the 1/2 in January. I was truly inspired by their dedication and commitment - despite the deplorable conditions, my daughter kept her 10:20 pace throughout the entire race. It was so exciting getting the 5K updates and seeing them progress. I decided that if they could run their first 1/2 in those conditions, anything is possible. Then I heard about the Wine & Dine run - I've always wanted to go to F&W festival. And when I saw you can run it relay style, I called my daughter and her boyfriend and they agreed to take the plunge with me. The three of us are registered to run - my daughter will run the 1/2 and I will split the relay with her boyfriend.

That was a month ago. Since then, I've been faithfully run-walking (I run 5 minutes and walk 2) on the treadmill. I'm proud to report that last Saturday, I set my Nike+ to 45 minutes, and I ended up running 3.6 miles! I am so psyched. I forgot how great it feels to run.

See you all in October!

Count us in!

That was a month ago. Since then, I've been faithfully run-walking (I run 5 minutes and walk 2) on the treadmill. I'm proud to report that last Saturday, I set my Nike+ to 45 minutes, and I ended up running 3.6 miles! I am so psyched. I forgot how great it feels to run.

See you all in October!

Congrats on your progress, you are doing awesome, it is very exciting and can become addictive.

October is going to be a great event, can't wait.

Tom

Hi everyone -

Count me in, although I am not officially signed up yet :) I am doing the Princess in 2 1/2 weeks, which is my first 1/2. I want to have a time for proof before I sign up.

I did my first 10 miles on Sun and although a bit sore, which is to be expected I am thrilled!!

I am hoping to do the F&W yearly with the Princess since they are both 6 months apart from one another - its a great way to stay in shape :laughing:

Hi all -- as you can see, I'm a long time "professional" lurker. :) My DW (2badgermom) and I are planning to run the half; it will be her first one and my first one in a long time. My only concern about the race is the late night start, every other distance race I have ever done was a morning start. For a wise old baboon, I am having a hard time figuring out how to deal with the difference in how it will feel, how active we can be that day, when to eat, . . . I know it is a little early to worry about this as we haven't even signed up yet, but does anyone have any thoughts?

Hi all -- as you can see, I'm a long time "professional" lurker. :) My DW (2badgermom) and I are planning to run the half; it will be her first one and my first one in a long time. My only concern about the race is the late night start, every other distance race I have ever done was a morning start. For a wise old baboon, I am having a hard time figuring out how to deal with the difference in how it will feel, how active we can be that day, when to eat, . . . I know it is a little early to worry about this as we haven't even signed up yet, but does anyone have any thoughts?

Great question. I hadn't really thought Too much about that but am sure I will as days get closer!

I'm sure for morning people this might be an adjustment. For me (a night person) this is sooooo wonderful. I will sleep in (till at least 8am), have a nice relaxing day, eat regular (but light), no alcohol (that will be later), then be ready for the race. I actually function best from about 4pm on, so this race is definitely right up my alley.

Hopefully some morning people will chime in with how they plan to deal with a night race.

There really isn't a one size fits all answer to the question. How active you can be during the day will depend a lot on you. The closer you are to 13.1 miles being your maximum threshold the less you will be able to do, at least the less strenuous park touring you will be able to do. I plan on touring the parks but not rushing around from one to another. Luckily I will be using my give a day get a day pass as opposed to a park hopper so I will only have to worry about one park.

For eating, do a little math and figure out the normal time difference between when you normally eat the night before a race and morning start and plan your last big meal accordingly. For example, I usually have my pre-race dinner around 7pm and most of the morning halves start around 9am. That means that I have 14 hours from the start of my dinner until the gun goes off. That works out for this race as a big breakfast with choic and then I would plan on eating food during the day that is quick to absorb and won't feel like a lump in the stomach. Lots of fruit and I will probably bring some meal bars to snack on throughout the day.

Lastly, do you do shorter local events throughout the summer? See if there are any evening 5Ks in your area and sign up. It will give you something to compare to your standard evening runs. While most of my races are morning almost all of my summer training runs are either after work or after dark so it isn't anything new to me.

Thanks for the advise Frank! I haven't run any evening 5Ks but will be on the look out now.

If the race is at 10pm, what time do you think pick up will be from the hotels to head to the starting area? This will be my first big, non-local race so I'm a little clueless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter