Inflatable Air Mattress Question

RweTHEREyet

DIS Veteran
We have a 2-bedroom next May at OKW. Son, 19 will be sleeping on sleeper sofa. I was going to offer that he be able to invite a friend if he wished, but I do not think two big guys would do too well on the sleeper sofa. So, I was thinking that maybe one of the inflatable air mattresses might be the solution. Does anyone have a particular brand that they can recommend based on experience? I have seen them at Taget, Sharper Image, Sams, etc., and they all look the same, but prices really vary. Any tips as to what to look at and what is reasonable to pay?

A Sears/Hilary mattress is surprisingly comfortable. You get what you pay for! It's not much fun waking up in the middle of the night on the hard floor. I think Sears has mattresses with a built in gizmo that makes the mattress self-inflating.

My dd uses the Deluxe Aerobed everytime we travel. She claims it is very comfortable, and it is certainly easy to inflate/deflate. We bought a small rolling duffle and it fits in there nicely, along with a set of sheets. (It also comes with its own carry bag.)

We're thinking of getting an air mattress as well. We've seen some that have built in inflators and deflators (just as important!).

DizMare...I'm not familiar with Deluxe Aerobed....is that the brand name? Can I ask where you found it.

Excellent post (and user name) RWeTHEREyet!

Aerobed is a brand - then there are different levels of quality ("deluxe" for an additional $10 or $20). I bought mine online - just Googled Aerobed, and visited sites. But they are available in department stores (Macy's) and stores like Linen and Things.

The Aero bed has a built in motor to inflate the bed to whatever firmness you like. I believe the deluxe model had a mattress cover, and, umm, I forget what else. Sorry, it's been two years now. ;)

We have two teenage boys and they always take a friend each. We bought Coleman air mattress and Coleman pump at Target.
My husband and I also used the mattress at family reunion. It was very comfortable and easy to inflate. Pump also deflates the mattress in no time at all. Total cost was around $50. We have found it packs well even when flying just put it in another carry on suitcase.

We also have the problem of 2 adult children so we need another bed when we stay at DVC.

We've used the Aerobed as well and everyone who has slept on it said it was really comfortable. We have the full-size deluxe, and it comes with the mattress pad, and inflates/deflates in seconds. It was definitely not cheap, but well worth the price. Since we fly to WDW, we usually ship it ahead and have it waiting at the resort when we arrive. And then we ship it home. (Mailboxes, etc.)

I have a Coleman (camping equipment maker) with the air pump (like Aerobed) Much cheaper. $30 vs $90. Good quality, you can probably find them at a warehouse store like BJ's or similar.

I just bought a Coleman air mattress on Monday! They are on sale this week at Target. This is our second Coleman mattress. We have used other brands for camping but the Colemans seem to hold their air better. We also have the Coleman pump.

We have a queen aerobed. It came from QVC, but I know other places carry them. We have taken it to Disney. You can put it on the sofa bed or on the floor. It is very comfortable and easy to carry. We packed it in a suit case and flew with it.

This isn't exactly what you asked, but if the air mattress doesn't pan out for you, I have taken my 18 year old son and his buddy. They have shared the pullout and slept well. They are both over 6'2", although not heavy (about 175 lbs each). Hope that helps.

Here's another idea for you to make two beds out of the sleeper:
Take the cushions that you use from the sofa sleeper and put them end to end and then wrap a sheet around them tightly. Cost $0, very comfortable unless you roll around alot and guaranteed not to deflate. Have a great trip!
Steve in Iowa

We use the Coleman air mattress and pump as well. It's not bad, but the battery powered pump does not inflate it enough to make it firm. The "pump" is really more of a fan and cannot provide enough pressure to fill the mattress completely. Unfortunately the pump connection on the mattress does not allow final inflation by mouth without the adapter which I neglected to bring along.

I have an Aerobed, and it's actually pretty comfortable. I am particularly fond, though, of how quickly you can get "up" and "down." It only takes 30 seconds (or so to inflate) and about the same amount of time to deflate (2 seconds) and roll back up.

Inky
58 days and counting (again)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter