• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Inspired by the "Can I cut in line..etc " thread

SunnieRN: First, I am also a RN and I KNOW there are many disabilities out there that are not visible; that is not the problem. I also did NOT say you or anyone else shouldn't be using the EVC or going to WDW (that is absurd)-I said there should be training classes or something before they are allowed out in the park. Sure, there are careless walkers at WDW; did not say there weren't. I am glad you are a careful driver but the bad ones are the problem.

Would you suggest the same "rules" for stroller users?

You would think if someone came in with 'outside' food and decided to use up space like that, taking away from paying costumers, that a CM or restaurant employee would ask them to leave.

If they saw it. We don't see many CM while at QS.

I have sat down and eaten my brought in from outside lunch many times at various counter service restaurants right in front of CMs and have never been asked to leave the restaurant. Unless and until there are signs up that say only food bought in that particular restaurant may be eaten there,I will continue to do so. If anyone ever came up to me and asked if they could sit down at the table with me,I would say yes.

Ok, SERIOUSLY don't want to stir the pot, but in the spirit of fun, I'd love to hear which "rules" people think are a bit silly.
Please please please (and don't make me ask in vain!) let there be no comments about people's "opinions".
I just want "opinions"

I'll even start....
While I agree with the majority of poster's issues, I think it is absolutely no big deal if two members of a party take the tickets of two others and get FPs...

NEXT!

I've read through all the posts and just wanted to bring up the first post of this thread and point out the opinion part.

Now here is mine. I wish the CM's would uniformly enforce the "Move to the end of the Row" rule. Nothing throws a cog in the works like when the row that you chose stops moving because people have sat in the center.

Not sure if I agree with the whole table saving gripe. Was he supposed to let some in his party stand just so you could sit? It's not like he was staking his claim while the others rode Splash Mountain. Sometimes it's tough to have more than one grab a table, and it's dog eat dog when it comes to tables in some of those places :) He MAYBE could've had others saving tables with him, but not knowing the situation (lots of kids? several different accounts?), it's hard to vilify the guy.

Just a couple of comments- and some opinions:

Pool hopping- twice we have been on vacation with friends, us at POP and them at BC. Any time we went to visit them for a swim, they had to show their resort cards, identify us as friends staying onsite, we had to show our resort keys, and had to get ID bracelets. It was a pretty complicated procedure to go through, and makes me think Disney doesn't allow pool hopping.

Wheelchairs... My DSis has CP and uses a wheelchair at WDW. On many, many rides we have not had to wait in line. Instead, we are brought to a waiting area at the end of the ride and loaded almost immediately (Spaceship Earth, HM, Peter Pan, Great Movie Ride come to mind easily). Yes, many regular lines are accessible, but Disney often chooses to pull wheelchair parties out of line and get them on the ride, at least in our experience. This is offset by crummy wheelchair seating at some of the shows (Little Mermaid, Fantasmic for example).

Bus seats... Everyone is tired. I am happy to let my DD sit on my tired legs if it means someone else can sit also. I just think it's the nice, kind thing to do. We are all in this together. BTW, DD is 16 now. Heavier than when she was 6, but still just as nice to snuggle up against her back for the tired ride to the resort!

Table holding... IF you really need more than one table, have at least one table holder per table while the others are getting food (although it makes me crazy to have all the kids in line; as many as possible are at the table!). Try to be courteous; once again, we are all in the same boat and if there's a tired mom standing with trays and two kids, is it really going to kill you to squish your group a bit so they can have a small piece of "your" table? Also, if you aren't buying your meal at the cs restaurant, you have a lot of nerve coming in to eat your own food in the air conditioning. Try it at a ts restaurant and let us know how well that works! And yes, exceptions are made for baby food, or little kids having pb&j while Mom and Dad eat their purchased burgers, etc. NOT true for buying a drink and then eating your brought-in meals. Common sense!

Mugs... use them. Whenever, wherever. There is NO WAY anyone on a week long vacation will drink $15 worth of fountain soda. It costs about a penny a serving, and is one of the hospitality industry's biggest money-makers.

Toppings bar... makes me crazy when folks use the toppings bar as a salad bar. I have seen people pull out their own storage containers and fill 'em up!

Our son was in a stroller at 6. He was definitely big enough to walk, but not big enough to walk the whole time, given our ambitious touring plans :) It was sort of ridiculous even in our eyes, but we were being realistic.

I wish WDW was a smoke free park. Even when smokers stay in the designated areas I can still smell it and sometimes have to walk through clouds of smoke. (I know this is probably controversial...just want to say it's nothing against smokers personally...we all have the freedom to choose whether or not we decide to take up smoking...I just don't like having to walk through it, and I especially don't like when my kids have to walk through it). And the designated areas are many times near bathrooms, so as much as I try to avoid the areas I still end up having to walk through or near them. Lots of bathroom breaks with a potty training toddler. :-)

:-)

it IS a smoke free park, with smoking allowed ONLY in designated smoking areas. there are few of them, set back, and very few near bathrooms. we always obey the rules and are courteous smokers.

Imagine how many dirty mugs would be refilled in the parks if you carried them around with you. I'm sure it's a health hazard. At least in the hotels you can wash them in your room.

that's what i was thinking...hmmmm, refillable germs, how lovely.

they could add a feature to your room key that allows you unlimited drinks (with new paper cups) throughout the world. it could be yet another available perk for onsite guests.

I HATE it when one person holds up a table at a QS restaurant ......if you're going to save a table before you have your food, at least save it with everyone in your party except the one person who is ordering. Even better, I love the new idea of CM's finding you a table only AFTER you've gotten your food. Yay for them!

Okay I'm done. :-)

i dunno, maybe it's me, but i see nothing wrong with 1 person saving a table for their group. seems like good planning to me. if they are just solo and hogging a whole table, then that would bug me, but we usually just ask if we can sit with them. we have never been told no (when they are solo) and actually strike up conversations with them. imagine that! being social instead of accusatory, what a novel idea.

I'm going to move this to the Community Board. Its a better fit over there. Thanks Rich

Not sure if I agree with the whole table saving gripe. Was he supposed to let some in his party stand just so you could sit? It's not like he was staking his claim while the others rode Splash Mountain.

The person who posted about the guy with three tables said that after she and her party had eaten and were leaving, he was still there holding the three empty tables. He could have offered them one of "his" tables, with the understanding that when his party got there, they'd give it up, and everyone would have had a seat. We've offered part of our table to people figuring we'd just squish together when hubby and eldest son got back, but when they got back the people we'd offered the table to cleared out for us. Most people are willing to work with you when they see you're willing to work with them.

Since no one showed the whole time the OP was eating, it's entirely possible the guy with the three tables was "staking his claim while the others rode Splash Mountain" or were otherwise not in the restaurant. One reason some people are so opposed to the whole "some get to save a space" is that groups will park one person (who isn't that into rides) in "prime space" hours before they want it. One of my brother's high school buddies used to try to get me to do that sort of thing ("You're just going to be sitting somewhere reading your book anyhow") - the irony being that this same friend would ignore other people's, "Hey, I'm saving that place!" and take their table/seats/whatever if he wanted to be in said reserved space. He was big enough he generally got away with it, too. :sad2:

The "dog eat dog" approach means the big dogs get what they want and the rest of us get the leavings. Which means it's counterproductive in the long run, because nobody is the "big dog" in every situation. The "we're all in this together" approach gets everybody further.

Pool hopping- twice we have been on vacation with friends, us at POP and them at BC. Any time we went to visit them for a swim, they had to show their resort cards, identify us as friends staying onsite, we had to show our resort keys, and had to get ID bracelets. It was a pretty complicated procedure to go through, and makes me think Disney doesn't allow pool hopping.

I thought pool hopping was not allowed at BC? Or YC - or is it just not hopping at SAB? I also know there's no hopping at AKL. I have had no trouble hopping, in fact we love the main pool at SSR, and we haven't stayed there in years, but use the pool most trips!

I thought pool hopping was not allowed at BC? Or YC - or is it just not hopping at SAB? I also know there's no hopping at AKL. I have had no trouble hopping, in fact we love the main pool at SSR, and we haven't stayed there in years, but use the pool most trips!

Officially, Disney does NOT allow pool hopping at all, with the exception being for DVC members (using their membership to stay at a DVC resort), and even still it is not allowed to Stormalong Bay, Uzima and Samawati Springs pool at AKL, and Bay Cove pool at BLT, and there are exclusion dates, AND if the pools reach capacity you can be asked to leave.

During non-peak times they may not concern themselves as much with it, and even appear to permit it - but still if the pool reaches capacity (or anytime, really) and you are not a guest of that resort, you may be asked to leave.

I guess I never realized how different people view "saving a table"...

I can only remember once that a CS place had been so busy that we couldn't find anywhere to sit while numerous tables were being "saved"
It was Jan. 2 at Epcot..... NUTTY CROWDED!!!! Worst crowds I'd ever seen at WDW!!!!!!!
We were at the Electric Umbrella... it was just DD and myself. We walked around for what seemed an eternity until one really nice gentleman (with his family) offered us one seat!! He made his 2 kids sit together and offered us one chair. He said "it's only one seat, but you can have it!" he was the sweetest guy!!! Well, DD and I shared that chair! They were a great family! We all laughed about it!

Maybe we've just been lucky that others have offered us seats with them... and we do the same.

Table holding... IF you really need more than one table, have at least one table holder per table while the others are getting food (although it makes me crazy to have all the kids in line; as many as possible are at the table!). Try to be courteous; once again, we are all in the same boat and if there's a tired mom standing with trays and two kids, is it really going to kill you to squish your group a bit so they can have a small piece of "your" table? Also, if you aren't buying your meal at the cs restaurant, you have a lot of nerve coming in to eat your own food in the air conditioning. Try it at a ts restaurant and let us know how well that works! And yes, exceptions are made for baby food, or little kids having pb&j while Mom and Dad eat their purchased burgers, etc. NOT true for buying a drink and then eating your brought-in meals. Common sense!

Sorry,as long as Disney has no signs up that say no outside food in the counter service areas I will continue to bring in my lunch or dinner. As to the Table service part of your comment,that's just ridiculous.

I'm not flaming anyone, but (to me) some things may not be "rules" as much as they are common manners/politeness. Intentionally standing in front of people for parades & eating in a WDW restaurant when you didn't purchase WDW food are things that I feel are simple etiquette. I wouldn't let either of these things ruin my vacation, but it does seem a little rude. We've brought our own food into the WDW parks & I just wouldn't even consider eating at a CS restaurant w/o purchasing a meal from that location. They really can't put signs up b/c so many people need to bring food for at least 1 person in their party w/ a food allergy. I do think it's really sad that some people abuse this. Just my 2 cents.

It would be like walking in to the local McDonalds with your homemade lunch and grabbing a seat.

I don't get it either. I am guessing no one here would do that either.

I'm not flaming anyone, but (to me) some things may not be "rules" as much as they are common manners/politeness. Intentionally standing in front of people for parades & eating in a WDW restaurant when you didn't purchase WDW food are things that I feel are simple etiquette. I wouldn't let either of these things ruin my vacation, but it does seem a little rude. We've brought our own food into the WDW parks & I just wouldn't even consider eating at a CS restaurant w/o purchasing a meal from that location. They really can't put signs up b/c so many people need to bring food for at least 1 person in their party w/ a food allergy. I do think it's really sad that some people abuse this. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry,I don't think it is abuse of any kind. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.:)

On the child swap - I have no kids and don't really want any, but I don't get why CM's would need verification of your child's height (or even existence, really) to give you a swap. Doesn't the first person in the party still have to wait in the regular line? If you didn't have kids, or if your kids were tall enough and wanted to ride, you'd all be in line at the same time. So what would it benefit anyone to pretend they had a small child in order to get the child swap? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter