Insulin pumps in the heat?

Selket

Been there - done that
Another pump question! ;) Anyone have problems/issues with their own or their child's insulin pump in the heat? My 3 yr old wears his in an undershirt on his back so I don't think I can use the cooling packs in there. I'm wondering if that is going to be an issue for us?

I can't change his reservoir every day because of the type of infusion set he wears - I can't prime the tubing all the way to the set (he uses Rapid D's). This is his 1st summer on an insulin pump and we're going to WDW later this week. I thought I had thought of everything but obviously not! :rolleyes:

I'll try to take a stab at answering your question. ;) I have never had a problem with my pump in the heat. I use Humalog and it doesn't seem to ever go "bad" after being warm for 3 or 4 days. I've actually heard that insulin stays "good" for a month without refrigeration. The pump seems pretty durable and can handle outdoor temperatures just fine.

The one thing I have noticed in the heat is that sometimes the medical tape can start to peel away when it's humid outside. The combination of humidity and sweat can cause the tape to loose its "stickiness." So, I do use a stronger type of tape during the warmer months.

Hope you have a great time at WDW! We'll be there in 11 days. :)

Don't think it will be a problem.

My husband has been on a pump for about 5 years, and because he follows a very low carb diet, he uses very little insulin. Therefore, the insulin can be in the resevoir for up to 10 days. He has never had any problems and he leads a very active outdoor life in much heat and humidity.

Many thanks for the replies! I plan to use skin tac when putting on his sets to keep them in both because of the heat and for going swimming. I don't want his sets falling off!

From what I have read the insulin can start going bad at temps over 86 degrees. It's good to hear you haven't had problems. We'll keep a close eye on him and if we get unexpected highs I'll change out his pump (and set too - since with his sets I can't prime to the end cause it has a tail). I think I"ll order one of those Frio pump wallets for future trips though - sounds like a great little thing to have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter