International Driving Permit for Florida

Not sure if this has already been mentioned however I contacted the US Embassy today who told me that CURRENTLY there was no requirement for an English Licence holder to apply for one.

However they expect that to change this year 'at some point'.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned however I contacted the US Embassy today who told me that CURRENTLY there was no requirement for an English Licence holder to apply for one.

However they expect that to change this year 'at some point'.

The US Embassy are/were not aware of the change in law, this is the problem. The law was changed 1st Jan but they didn't tell anyone. Chances are you can go on holiday, collect a car, even get stopped by police and no-one will say anything about an IDP but if you come across the wrong police office they have the right to imprison you or at least give you a citation to appear in court.
The story will possibly be hitting the newspaper travel pages this weekend.

Having read this entire thread, I wouldn't take any chances, especially when you don't have to pay more than £5.50 for IDP.

such a potential adverse impact on tourism in the world's biggest tourist destination could have got this far without someone highlighting the issue.

"advrse impact" is a bit strong

This has little impact.

Consider all Europe, and all European visitors to the US/Florida.
All of those except the UK where already (more or less) required to get an IDP (or it was strongly recommanded)
This only really changes things for those who already have a license written in English.(and I agree it serves no purpose)
It also has little impact on the tourist, since it's only a £5.5 cost. The main issue here being the access to the IDP issuing offices. (for example here we can fill the form in over the internet, and our license is to be picked up at the city/town hall free of charge a few days later)

If you think about impact, think about the ESTAs, now $14 and replacing the I94 we used to need to fill while onboard the plane.

What I think, is that they (Florida Senate) underestimated the uproar it would cause in the UK.
And it's easy to understand why. As the statutes stood, the LEOs could ask to see an IDP (translation) if the License was not in English, and they could not figure out what was on the license.
so the change only resides in the fact that the statuses gave an exception to Englsh written licenses.
Now they make the law apply to everybody even if it's ludicrous in this case...

But impact ... I'm not sure, it's just some other paperwork you'll need.

Now what I agree upon with some posters, is that it will probably require a tourist to be sent to jail before it really hits the fan.

Because, to be honest, right now, given the "low" impact it has on tourism (UK visitors are a sizeable portion of visitors, but still remain a small quantity over non english speaking visitors) publicizing is not a priority

let's move so that it becomes a priority and I guess it starts in places like here where we inform our fellow WDW lovers.

I'm in Florida now, I hired a car, showed my photo ID driving licence and wasn't asked about the international driving licence.

In fact I've hired a car 5 times and never shown my paper licence.

does anyone know if the post office issue it there and then or do they post it to you? we fly next friday!

Have been reading more about this. Just for people's information. You must apply not more than 3 months in advance.

Not remotely pertinent how many times you might not have been asked for one before given this law came into force on January 1st 2013......

My sister works at the post office head office and, rumour is from up top, that the price of this will be going up quite drastically following this change in the law.

Looks like you can't purchase more than 3 months before you travel, but probably worth getting ASAP if you can.

Also forgot to say. Not every post office can issue them. For anyone taking the sensible approach of just getting on with getting one, I would suggest you go to the AA website for clear advice so you know how to go about this. Hope that helps some people :)

You must apply not more than 3 months in advance.
What does it matter how far in advance you apply as long as it is valid when you travel?
I don't go until July but planning on picking one up tommorrrow anyway...who knows, I might suddenly be tempted by a cheap fare in April:)

irenep said:
What does it matter how far in advance you apply as long as it is valid when you travel?
I don't go until July but planning on picking one up tommorrrow anyway...who knows, I might suddenly be tempted by a cheap fare in April:)

It matters because its part of the law. It will not be valid if older than three months old but when you get yours is up to you of course. It will just be a waste of £5.50 if its older than 3 months. Your money.

We travel the day after tomorrow, and as the only places that issue these things are a few major City Centre Post Offices, and I don't live or work anywhere near any of them, I can't actually get to one before then!

Talk about a shambles, someone in the FL state legislature has misunderstood the actual purpose of the IDP's (i.e. they are meant to offer a translation of the wording of an otherwise-valid driving license if you are travelling in a country where that language is not spoken).

The problem is, it may be a bad law but as no-one noticed the error in time, it's still the law. :(

Andre

It matters because its part of the law. It will not be valid if older than three months old but when you get yours is up to you of course. It will just be a waste of £5.50 if its older than 3 months. Your money.
Really? So I will need yet another one for my October trip?
Don't doubt you, but could you point me in the direction of that particular piece of legislation please?

irenep said:
Don't doubt you, but could you point me in the direction of that particular piece of legislation please?

Go to the AA website which has filtered through the pages of 'stuff' and broken it down into what you need to do and how.

heres some useful info for you. :goodvibes

looks like you can post date your application, so can get it 3 months before your trip and it will then last 1 year.
so good for both trips :thumbsup2

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit

heres some useful info for you. :goodvibes

looks like you can post date your application, so can get it 3 months before your trip and it will then last 1 year.
so good for both trips :thumbsup2

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit

Yes, thanks, that's what I thought in the first place and is the way I interpret the info from the AA too:thumbsup2
That's why I thought I might as well get it asap.

This is from their website:

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is valid for 12 months from the date of issue. (See important note 1 below.
Important notes)
IDP applications can not be made any more than three months in advance of the date of travel.

So I take it that what that means is you cannot get its START date any more than 3 months in advance but it will be valid from 12 months from then, right?

Oh, and this from the PO web site just to confirm:
Valid for 12 months: use your permit on as many trips as you like

As others have said, they are valid for a year. For example I go 1st April so I can buy now to start 1st April and will be valid for a full year from then so we will get3-4 trips out of 1 purchase.

We travel the day after tomorrow, and as the only places that issue these things are a few major City Centre Post Offices, and I don't live or work anywhere near any of them, I can't actually get to one before then!

Talk about a shambles, someone in the FL state legislature has misunderstood the actual purpose of the IDP's (i.e. they are meant to offer a translation of the wording of an otherwise-valid driving license if you are travelling in a country where that language is not spoken).

The problem is, it may be a bad law but as no-one noticed the error in time, it's still the law. :(

Andre

Hi Andre
Is there no way you can get out of work and get one? not heard any reports of problems collecting cars yet but the rental firms are changing their terms on this so it will be required.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter