Internet v. "live" person for airline tix???

TZMOM

DIS Veteran
Does it matter if you just search the different airlines, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. for the cheapest fares? We'll (myself & DS) be leaving from Phila. to Orlando 5/18/02. The tix have been anywhere from $321.00 for the two of us to over $500.00 and prices seem to change just about every day. I am picking our flight times (leave 8:00 a.m., come back 6:15 p.m.) Does it make any difference whether you call the airline directly or only look on the internet? I'm hoping that prices will change back to the $321.00 like they were shortly before Christmas - just couldn't spare the extra bucks so close to the holidays. As always - thanks for the input.

We are flying from Philly to Orlando direct next month, and got tix from usair on line for $110 plus tax! All four of us are going for a total of $496. If you allow your dates to be flexible, you can save money. BTW, I had NO luck with priceline! I dont think i will ever waste my time with them again.

Often it is less expensive to book over the net.
SWA's reservation agents, for example, cannot even see the internet fares, and they are generally much lower. Delta gives you 5% off for booking on the net.
Personally, the less interaction I have to have on the phone, the happier I am. I get to see the flights available and select them, I don't have to keep asking (and writing) different flight numbers and prices. For me, it is much easier.

I agree with Gail. I always book online to get the internet discounts and, many times, a frequent flier bonus for using the online system. It's quick, you don't have to repeat yourself a gazillion times, and you have a written record upon completion. In my estimation that's a whole lot safer and less aggravating than dealing with the reservations folks directly.

I've never had a ticket arrive with the wrong flight info when I've booked on line if you know what I mean!

Hi TZMom, I just booked online yesterday. I had been searching the web for months plus calling our TA and I finally decided the Northwest fares were the lowest when booking thru them. I even got the exact flights I wanted......I was a bit picky on times!!!:)

Thanks everybody - internet it is!!!! Now, if the fares would just go down a bit - I know, I know, no one's every happy - :rolleyes:

Just wanted to add something--I booked online and then some flights were cancelled, etc. I could call and talk to someone and make sure we were still all sitting together, etc. on our new flights even though I booked online, so you still have customer service support (or at least I did with Delta).
Robin M.

Booking over the internet is the only way to go!!
We have booked through Expedia, Orbitz, and through airline websites and have never had any problems with any of them. Any issues that have arisen (wanted to change seat assignments, schedule changes, etc.) have been dealt with over the phone directly with the airline. I can't even imagine booking tickets with an agent anymore.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Some airlines will not accept vouchers for internet ticket purchases. Delta won't even let you use their electronic vouchers this way.

But it is more relaxing to use the internet to figure out what flights are available. THen if you finally do call an agent to actually make the reservation, you have narrowed down the choices to two or three flights.

<big>Caution:</big> If you don't know how to "print screen" or otherwise get a paper printout of your transaction instantly right at your computer, you really should not be booking or buying or ordering anything on the internet. There have been some isolated instances where the confirmation for the non-refundable reservation from the airline arriving in the mail a few days later had the wrong dates and times.

If you need later customer service, for example if they cancelled a flight, you practically must use live help over the phone.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 POR
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
*no longer exists

Airline reservationists must have a hard time when their popular flights are sold out, spending long hours with customers who don't finally buy!

My typical conversation over the phone before they invented the internet...

Me: I would like to book a trip from Boston to Orlando on November 21.
(clickity tappity tap tap of fingers on computer keyboard)
Agent: Those flights are sold out. Do you have an alternate date?
Me: November 22
(click tap tappity tap)
Agent: Those flights are sold out. Do you have an alternate date?
and so on back and forth
Half an hour later both I and the agent are getting frustrated and exasperated.

I booked on the USAir site for tickets from Philadelphia to Orlando last October. You can check the price differences by switching your flight times. The early morning flight was much cheaper than the 8 or 8:30. The same on your flight home. It will even give you a few options to save money.

You can request to have paper tickets mailed to your home for the same price. One word of warning...they cancelled our flight due to cutbacks, and we had to take the earlier flight anyway.:bounce: :bounce:

We have booked 3 trips, so far, this yr via the internet (Orlando twice and Norfolk-Nags Head)You can pick your own flight times, seat assignment, etc. Plus you get at least 1000 bonus Frequent Flyer miles for each ticket.You get your confirmation via e-mail(e-ticket). You also get a discount doing it on-line.You don't have to write anything down, just print your confirmation.:D

Booked on-line(Priceline) twice & love it. Got a rate of $154 from Austin to Orlando. 138 days till the Swan...

If I book a delta flight thru Orbitz will I get to choose my seats before transaction is complete?

We always book direct with airlines(Continental,US Air, etc) and we always get to book our seats before you complete the transaction. You should check with delta direct.They might even be cheaper than through Orbitz. If not you can go back to Orbitz.:D

But the flight and rate that I found On Orbitz that I want doesn't come as an option on the Delta site.

Also the Delta site is showing flights to choose and when I look at available seats, they show full. I don't understand why they would put a full plane down as an option.

Orbitz does buy a block of seats through different airlines, so they may offer them at a cheaper rate. Try calling Delta (800.221.1212 or 800.325.1999) and ask them about the seats being sold out.I would also ask them their price over the phone also.:D

thank you, I'll do that first.
BUT if in the end I choose to use Orbits do I get to choose my seats?

Do you get paper tickets in the mail when you book online?

The last time I used pricleine (3 yrs ago) I wasn't able to choose seats. But they may have improved since then (priceline,Orbitz,Travelocity, etc) If you get the price you like, I wouldn't worry about seat assignments right now.:rolleyes:

They will e-mail you your confirmation, just print it and take that to the airport. That is all you need and your drivers licsense.That is your e-tickect.:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter