Interview Questions

footballmouse

DIS Veteran
Haven't gone to an in-person interview in awhile. Is it appropriate to bring a list of questions with me and write answers down during the interview? Or should I have the questions already in my head and just remember the answers? Wasn't sure how professional it would be to bring them and take notes.

I agree. I think it is a plus to take notes and be prepared with questions. Just don't let it interfere with the "flow" of the interview. It would be a negative it you make them wait while you peruse your papers or write down some lengthy notes.

I've always come to an interview with a couple things to ask as well as a brief closing statement.

I wouldn't bring a list of questions or spend time writing things down during the interview. You want to be focused on the person/people who are doing the interview. I can't imagine what sort of information you would need to write down. Do you want those doing the interviewing to sit there saying nothing until you finish writing down whatever that is? As an interviewer, I would find that very awkward. Think about what you might like to ask ahead of time is good preparation, but you should have those in mind without having to look at a piece of paper. Sometimes your questions will relate more to the interview and things being discussed which you wouldn't know ahead of time. It would be distracting for the person being interviewed to be writing things down and I can't really imagine a situation where you would want/need to do that.

I can recall one time a few years ago interviewing someone for an open position. They brought with them a list of questions they thought might be asked along with the answers and had to look their 'notes' to read the replies they had prepared ahead of time. Clearly that person did NOT get the job. People are judged during an interview not only by what they say but how they handle themselves. Interviewers like to see that the person is adept enough to speak to whatever is being asked.

I wouldn't bring a list of questions or spend time writing things down during the interview. You want to be focused on the person/people who are doing the interview. I can't imagine what sort of information you would need to write down. Do you want those doing the interviewing to sit there saying nothing until you finish writing down whatever that is? As an interviewer, I would find that very awkward. Think about what you might like to ask ahead of time is good preparation, but you should have those in mind without having to look at a piece of paper. Sometimes your questions will relate more to the interview and things being discussed which you wouldn't know ahead of time. It would be distracting for the person being interviewed to be writing things down and I can't really imagine a situation where you would want/need to do that.

I can recall one time a few years ago interviewing someone for an open position. They brought with them a list of questions they thought might be asked along with the answers and had to look their 'notes' to read the replies they had prepared ahead of time. Clearly that person did NOT get the job. People are judged during an interview not only by what they say but how they handle themselves. Interviewers like to see that the person is adept enough to speak to whatever is being asked.
That's what I was thinking about how the interviewer would perceive me.

I have questions already prepared. Some questions relate to the job description that they posted and other questions are general questions that I came up with regarding training, the team I would be working with, things like that.

Having questions in mind you would like to ask shows good preparation during an interview. Having to look at a piece of paper to remember what they are is NOT what I would recommend.

I was always taught that half of a job interview is the company finding out you, and the other half is YOU finding out about the job/company/supervisor, so I would have no problem with someone taking notes.
My wife interviewed for a temporary job at the corporate level with her old employer of over 40 years. They have 35 locations and purchased my wife's location 20 years ago. It was set up and operated far differently than any other locations. So much of the interview time was spent with my wife educating the corporate person, who had little knowledge of what the scope of the project would be at that location. So 6 months into what was projected by corporate to be a 6 month project, they aren't even half way done yet. They grossly underestimated the amount of work that needed to be done. The good news, the project is already generating revenue that exceeded the cost of the project.

I don’t see anything wrong with having a few notes written down so you remember to ask all the questions you may have, especially if you are doing several interviews with different companies and want to keep everything straight. You can either use a check mark for a positive answer to the question, or jot down one or two words. I usually write up a recap of the interview as soon as I leave it, so I don’t need to write any kind of elaborate notes during the interview. The important thing is to keep your focus on the interviewer and what is happening in the moment and not allow yourself to be distracted by taking notes.

I don't have a problem with a candidate bringing in notes or jotting down notes.

IMO it's best to jot down some key words from projects you've worked on or something specific you want to not forget to mention about your experience. Something you can see at a glance and trigger your memory.

I hire for 3 departments and I'd be hesitant to take a candidate seriously that didn't come prepared with questions or take notes.

Yes, bring your questions and make notes.
It shows that you are serious and well prepared.

They cannot see what you are doing in your head.

And it takes mental energy to remember everything. If you write it down, you can look back, or leave it.

I can't imagine what sort of information you would need to write down.
Can be anything. Example: I ask "what is the focus or biggest challenge for your department for the coming years", I make a note of their answer, helps me to keep that answer top of mind and refer back to it. During an interview I might be nervous, making notes also gives you something to do.

I also ask questions about men/women or meeting/work time ratios. Small details that can be important when making the decision to accept an offer.

And it is not writing full sentences, just taking notes.

Of course, there can be a difference when you are applying for a cash register job as a 16 year old or a senior manager position.

Still think note taking during an interview is a bad idea. Makes you look nervous/fidgety and creates this awkward silence while the interviewers wait for you to stop writing. Not anything I would recommend.

What I've done in the past is have the questions in my head and keep the interview as a conversation, and then once I was either left alone in the interview room waiting for the next interviewer or after the interview was completed I would take time to write down my notes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter