• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Invisible Disabilities

InvisibleDis

Earning My Ears
Is there any special accomodations available for those with "invisible" disabilities?

I have Crohn's disease, Osteoporosis and Colitic Arthritis. I am in my 30's and look younger than my age. I look perfectly healthy for those who don't know me, but I cannot stand for prolonged periods of time, nor can I walk a lot due to severe joint pains and swelling.

I am not disabled enough to need a wheelchair or a walking cane (I take a lot of sitting breaks if I have to walk anywhere). My worry is mostly about using the bathrooms. With my Crohn's and my Arthritis, I cannot stand in line for long. But since I am not in a wheelchair, no one would consider me disabled.

Back home I have a permanent disabled parking permit, so it makes it easier to prove to strangers that I am indeed handicapped. But since we won't have a car when visiting Disney World, I have no proof of my disability.

Any suggestions? Are the bathroom lines at Disney very long? (Take into consideration that I'd be using the women's bathrooms where there always seems to be a long line).

What time of year are you going? I always go in the off season to avoid lines at attractions (as well as bathrooms :) ), not because I'm disabled but because I'm highly impatient.

If you have problems with walking and standing, you would be wise to at least consider a wheelchair or , better yet, a scooter (ecv). There is a lot more walking involved in a trip to WDW than most people realize until they have been there. I've seen estimates that the average person walks between 3 and 6 miles per day (some walk a lot more). To get an idea of distances, the walk around WS at Epcot is over 1 mile. The amount of time you would spend walking or standing in lines is much smaller than the distances you will walk getting to and from things.
For the bathrooms, the best way to avoid a wait is to plan your WDW trip for the non-busy times of the year. There are times when the bathrooms are very busy and will have a long line - like right before and right after parades or shows where a large group is let out at once. No way to avoid that.

It costs so much to go to WDW, don't let all the walking cause pain and swelling and ruin it for you. Absolutely rent an ECV! I have CFS, FMS, arthritis, and reconstructive surgery on both feet. Sure, I can walk around Disney for an hour or 2, but I can't go for even half a day. Take your sitting, rest breaks in an ECV or wheelchair while you wait in line for an attraction, not while you could be doing something enjoyable. Disney is hard on my dh's feet, and he's an able-bodied sailor who has to stay in shape. Bite the bullet, swallow any pride, and catch a ride through the parks.

Thank you everyone for responding!

I'm going this week, so I'm assuming this is the lowest of the seasons it gets. ;)

I'm hoping I could manage without a wheelchair simply because I've fought my entire life not to be in one. I hate the looks of pity. And I don't like being judged based on an illness I have, as it doesn't define me! I'm sure all of you understand this feeling.

I do know that WDW involves a lot of walking and I'm prepared to take it easy with a lot of rest stops. I have a very defined plan of where I want to go, and it involves only four rides in each park every day. So once I get through those rides, anything else I can get done that day would be a welcome bonus, otherwise -no big deal, not a loss on my behalf.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I'm encouraged now about my upcoming visit.

Well, from what I know about crowds at WDW, you did pick the absolute slowest time.
My FIL has been saying for the past 10 years that maybe he will rent an ecv "this year". For his next rip, he has actually gotten some information, so maybe this will be "the year". :)
Anyway, things I have learned from him are that there are benches situated fairly close together in each park. So, you can walk for a ways, then find a place to sit down. Also, in MK, the train is not only a good ride around the park, but you can use it to get from one area of the park to another without walking. Depending on where the rides you want to go on in MK are, you might be able to get there by train.
Here's some pixie dust for a great trip.

the thought of having a wheel chair almost made her gasp.......but she had a back problem and also arthritis and diabetic to boot.......we rented a wheelchair and had it at the hotel and when she wanted to walk she could and she also put her bags in it.......it also stabilized her walking .......then if she felt like she needed to sit .....the throne was right there........hope you have a great trip......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter