iPhone help

scarlett873

<font color=hotpink>Surrounded by true friends<br>
Alright...since there are quite a few iPhone users over here, I was hoping that someone could help me!

DH has talked me into joining the iPhone ranks. My regular upgrade with AT&T is next month, but i'm impatient (mainly because I HATE my current phone) and want to get one now. I wouldn't get any discounts on one if I waited either, so no sense in waiting if I don't have to!

So, is it better to purchase the iPhone directly from an Apple Store (since I have one locally) or is it ok to purchase it from an AT&T store? Will I get the same help from Apple, should I need it, if I purchase my iPhone through the AT&T store?

And will it matter that i'm not due for a phone upgrade for another month?

You should get the same service from Apple, no matter where you buy the phone. Having said that, in my experience, the folks at the AppleStore will be able to answer MANY more questions than the average AT&T sales person. I work at Apple, but DH bought his iPhone at the AT&T store and they were nice but not very knowledgeable.

--Daneen

You should get the same service from Apple, no matter where you buy the phone. Having said that, in my experience, the folks at the AppleStore will be able to answer MANY more questions than the average AT&T sales person. I work at Apple, but DH bought his iPhone at the AT&T store and they were nice but not very knowledgeable.

--Daneen

Bingo. And to be honest, they are so easy to set up that you could just walk in to an Apple store, buy it, take it home, plug it in, and the rest takes care of itself in iTunes. All of the registration/signup/number transfer is taken care of in iTunes.

Most excellent! I was just worried that if I bought it through someone other than AT&T that it would somehow screw up our account or something! I believe that the only thing that I have to do is add the internet service for the iPhone to our current package, right?

the at&t store might be better equipped to transfer your numbers from the old phone to the new phone.

I got mine at the At&t store, but when it comes to service and what not, that doesn't matter. It's an apple product, so an apple store will fix it.

I'd go to the Apple store myself. But I don't expect much problem in activating it so its not like I'd be expecting help from them. I just like to look!

BTW, there are strong rumors that there will be a new version of the iPhone released in the next couple of months. You may want to wait and see what develops.

Most excellent! I was just worried that if I bought it through someone other than AT&T that it would somehow screw up our account or something! I believe that the only thing that I have to do is add the internet service for the iPhone to our current package, right?

Yes. It's $20 per month.

BTW, there are strong rumors that there will be a new version of the iPhone released in the next couple of months. You may want to wait and see what develops.
Oh yeah, the 3G iPhone, with faster internet speeds and a possible new design! Like you said, it's rumored to come out this summer.

the at&t store might be better equipped to transfer your numbers from the old phone to the new phone.

This is a good point - I don't know of the services offered by AT&T regarding this. If you have all of your phone numbers on your old phone stored on the SIM card (as opposed to the phone's memory), you might want to visit an AT&T store so that you can use the same SIM in your new phone and keep your numbers. Good luck!

My DH bought one today as they have come down by £100 at certain shops in the UK - he is a very happy geek at the moment :lmao:

My DH bought one today as they have come down by £100 at certain shops in the UK - he is a very happy geek at the moment :lmao:

I read about that on tuaw.com! I can't believe that they dropped the price that much... that's amazing. It really does hint at a new version very soon...

yeah, at this point you might want to wait about 90 days and get the new model that should be comming out... the rumors are so strong and from so many directions at this point... ya might as well get the new one.

Apple uses the same system to transfer your number as AT&T so you should not notice a difference. in fact, you can do it online during set-up, as I recall.

--Daneen

I have heard the one advantage to buying from an Apple store is if you have a problem just as your warranty is ending, or has ended, Apple is a little more generous than if you buy from a retailer (this is on Macs, not iPhones, mind you) but it worth considering.

Besides, Walt Mossberg says the 3g phone is coming, so hang tight. ;)

Yes. It's $20 per month.

Oh yeah, the 3G iPhone, with faster internet speeds and a possible new design! Like you said, it's rumored to come out this summer.

This is a good point - I don't know of the services offered by AT&T regarding this. If you have all of your phone numbers on your old phone stored on the SIM card (as opposed to the phone's memory), you might want to visit an AT&T store so that you can use the same SIM in your new phone and keep your numbers. Good luck!

ya can't use the same sim... it is sealed inside the iPhone, so ya have to transfer the number via some sync software. The kid that helped me out really knew what he was doing and had it all done in a few min.

depending on how much you want to spend, i'd get an iphone now. if you wait for the new 3g model, it's going to be extremely expensive. i bought a 16gb iphone, and it was $500. i would imagine the 3g model to be more than that. also, 3g is a pretty new technology so it's not available in a lot of places other than big cities. i live in wv, so even if i got a 3g phone, i wouldn't be able to take advantage of it unless i was traveling somewhere else. the internet on the edge network isn't the fastest, but it's good enough for what it is.

I bought mine at the Apple store so I could answer questions and get the right answers. I also knew ahead of time that I wanted to buy the Apple Care plan and that was only available at the Apple store.

I do hope the new iPhone comes out soon. My current 8 gig iPhone isn't even a year old yet but ill be in line to get the new one soon after it comes out. They are just to darn good!!!

Via iPhone

I am the least patient person in the world...so I am posting this from my iPhone! Thanks for all of the advice! :)

hey... since we are talking iPhones...
Our T-mobile contract is up the 25th of April, so I'm free!!!

I'm seriously considering the iPhone, but I'm just trying to spend the least amount possible on the plan (i'm going from a family plan with 5 peeps and the DW and I only have to contribute $25 a month, so it's sticker shock seeing how much plans cost!).

I'm looking at the barebones 450 minute, unlimited data plan for $59.99. I've been told by friends I can add DW for $10 a month (non-iPhone). Is this possible? $69.99 a month doesn't sound horrible. 450 minutes is fine for us. Right now we have 700 minutes for 5 people and usually always wind up giving them back to T-mobile. We mainly call in-network or use the phones in the evening.

Any advice? Am I just dreaming that I can get the plan that low?

TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter