Is an AP worth it?

MickeyMouseGal

<font color=deeppink>Have A Zip A Dee Doo Dah Zip
I will probably be spending a total of 7 days in WDW during two different trips (3 days in late August at Caribbean Beach and 4 days in early January at the Grand Floridian). There is a substantial difference between buying an AP and a 7 day MYW -- over $100 cheaper to get the 7 day MYW with park hopping and no expiration options added.
My question is: is the AP discount for rooms/packages good enough to justify buying it if I'm only going to be in the parks for 7 days total?

That's really a question only you can answer. I'm buying an AP and we're only going for 5 park days! But, the room discount made it a wash (cost $200 more and saved $200 on the room) and I went for it because I wouldn't stay at the WL for $195 a night. I'd stay for $154 a night though, and maybe we will be back and I'll get some more park days. Some people probably think that's dumb but it works in my mind. :rotfl:

There are a few discounts like boat rentals and some dining so that adds a bit to the value, but like I said, it's more of a personal thing as to whether you think it's worth it.

your math on this one. We have purchased an AP before to get a room discount and it worked for us. We got a nicer resort (AKL) and a better room (Savannah view) than we could have gotten without it. Also figure in that is one less ticket you need to get, and it might work. And, if you ever get to go back in the next 365 days...a bonus!

Good luck!

That really repends on resort availability, too. As far as AP discounts are concerned, CBR should be relatively easy to get for early August (book early). Don't know how difficult it will be to get GF for January.

Also consider this disclaimer:
"Special Passholder rates may be offered seasonally at select Walt Disney World Resort Hotels and Select Disney Vacation Club Resorts".

So, it may end up that you get the room at CBR and not get anything for GF. But if you are flexible, you should get something. AP rates for moderate resorts in the August timeframe have been around $89+ per night (rack of $144). If you do get a AP discount at GF, the savings would definitely be worth it (AP rates around $229+, rack of $349+ for a garden standard).

This is all assuming, of course, that Disney continues to offer AP rates in the same way that they have in the past. With this last round, they are gave a "flat discount" off of the rack rates ($50 off moderates, $100 off deluxes).

And don't forget the other perks you can get with an AP! If you'll be eating at any sit-down restuarants, it might be worth the $50 to buy the Disney Dining Experience card you can get as a passholder that gets you 20% off your food/beverage total. Plus, you can get discounts on tours, water craft rentals, World of Disney plus other shops at Downtown Disney, etc., etc.

DH and I just got back from 8 days as first-time AP holders (with at least 2 more trips planned within our pass year), and I know we saved a bundle. Haven't totaled everything up yet, but the $100 a night it knocked off our AKL tab more than paid for 2 AP's for us, not counting our dining, shopping, and tour discounts.

Do the math - you might be suprised what you find out (both ways).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter