Is anyone else disappointed?

I am very disappointed so much so that I looked at the tauck website and am actually going to book with them for next year. I can't believe I am even saying that but I am not happy with ABD right now and am not spending my money on their trips.

I am very disappointed so much so that I looked at the tauck website and am actually going to book with them for next year. I can't believe I am even saying that but I am not happy with ABD right now and am not spending my money on their trips.

I'm with you Tozzie. We have talked about nothing but the ABD Galapogos trip since we returned from Alaska. I was certain that I would be booking with ABD. But with no EBD, I'm just not going to do it. I was willing to pay more for the ABD trip, but it is just so much more than the Tauck trip, I can't justify it.

Today 12:29 PM

I am never going to meet any of you guys!

Everyone is abandoning ship but I can't blame you! Those of you have traveled well with ABD have kind of been slapped in the face and taking your business somewhere else is a very natural thing to do!

The "Call for Details" are tentative trips. I called earlier this morning, hoping that maybe those trips were cheaper, but they are actually not "official" trips yet. It sounds like ABD is trying to avoid cancelling trips this year, so if you want to go on a trip that says "Call for Details" on the date you want to go, they will put you on a waiting list and call you if they do decide to offer that trip date.

I'm not sure that this is totally correct. I know that a few of those at least are trips set aside for travel agents or individuals booking large trips. For example, the June 11 Knights and Lights is mine. The reason that there is a "call for details" could be that after a certain date, should I not book enough for this group to stay exclusively mine, AbD can open it up to the general public. Other agents may have different options in their contracts, but this is the way I've done mine for the past few years.

So... I guess you can say that they are "tentative" in a sense (for anyone outside of the group to book) but not for the reasons mentioned.

I could be wrong -- just a "little guy's" perspective from my own limited group experience!

Dotti

Hi Everyone. I am the Director of Marketing for Adventures by Disney and want to help clarify some of the questions and concerns posted today. For those of you who have traveled with us in the past, you know how we at Adventures by Disney treat our Guests… you’ve sent us emails and letters and posted on this site about the personalized service and attention. We always want to make sure that you feel important and listened to. Please take a minute to read this and hopefully it will clear up some of the confusion. Thanks! Lilly

Website – The website with new dates and pricing is live today. For some of you, depending on browsers, you may need to refresh your browser to get the latest feeds as the site updates. This is probably why some of you are seeing different information. By this afternoon PST, the need to refresh will no longer be an issue. Thanks for your patience!

Regarding EBR: Early Booking Rates were actually confusing and a misnomer for a lot of our Guests… and some of you will remember (depending on the trip and departure date), they often sold out in the first day of booking. Our new pricing structure was created with Guests’ needs in mind: Book early for great rates (and best availability). This means that our 2010 introductory rates will be among the best we offer all year. In addition, we’ve added triple and quad rates so if you choose to have additional family members or a friend share one room, the rate per person, decreases (pending availability). This provides Guests more flexibility and better pricing options.

Also – Past Guests – You should be receiving an email today from us with details. There is definitely a loyalty offer for you. It is $100 off per person (valid through Nov 30).

Regarding pricing: While you may be able to find cheaper guided family tours out there, you will wind up spending a significant amount of incremental funds to supplement all of the items of that aren’t included.

With Adventures by Disney, we always want your vacation to be as stress free and hassle free as possible, so we don’t nickel and dime you. In fact, one thing we hear consistently from Guests during and post travel is that they couldn’t believe how much the trip included .. that it was worth every penny and then some. Below is a list of everything included in each adventure.

Immersive Events and Activities
• Disney-trained Adventure Guides
• Activities with local experts
• Special thrills for Junior Adventurers
• Interaction with historical characters
• Immersive activities for everyone

VIP Experiences
• Private events and privately guided tours
• Backstage access
• Entertainment and special performances
• Bypass the lines at popular museums and attractions
• Fun surprises and gifts throughout your vacation

Admission
• National and regional park entrance fees
• Tickets and admission to events and attractions
• Nature and wildlife educational programs

Hassle-Free Travel
• Airport meet and greet upon arrival
• Transfer to/from hotels
• Transportation within your trip (including flights, trains, etc.)
• Snacks and refreshments en route
• Luggage service
• Concierge service to help plan free time
• Travel taxes

Dining and Resorts
• Outstanding accommodations
• Scheduled meals
• Dinner or movie night especially for kids
• Adult dining experience with wine tasting
• Taxes and gratuities
•
Regarding new itineraries – Our focus for 2010 is on giving Guests new and unique trip types to choose from. We will be announcing these new trips throughout the season. There will be some really exciting and completely new concepts… as well as the official launch of our Gateway Collection. Stay tuned and keep an eye out for announcements.

I'm with you Tozzie. We have talked about nothing but the ABD Galapogos trip since we returned from Alaska. I was certain that I would be booking with ABD. But with no EBD, I'm just not going to do it. I was willing to pay more for the ABD trip, but it is just so much more than the Tauck trip, I can't justify it.

I looked at the Tauck trip to Switzerland VS ABD Alpine Magic (which is the trip I want to go on) they have similar itineraries, with tauck being two days longer. The cost for the longer trip is within $20 of what I would pay for ABD for the shorter trip. If I don't like tauck I can always go back to ABD so we will see.

Thanks so much ABDLilly for taking the time and posting the company's rationale for our questions. Truly appreciated.

In addition, we’ve added triple and quad rates so if you choose to have additional family members or a friend share one room, the rate per person, decreases (pending availability). This provides Guests more flexibility and better pricing options.

That certainly wasn't the case when I tried to book the Alpine trip this morning. I was told we *had* to book two rooms because of my daughters' ages. (15)

Regardless, I appreciate you taking the time to address these issues on the message board. There is certainly no disputing that Disney puts its customers first and does everything with the "Disney touch." Unfortunately, the lack of early booking discount, lack of dates in our time frame, and our inability to book a quad room means that we're pursing other options. I'm sure ABD is a great option for families with younger kids, but it's just not going to work for us in 2010.

Hi Everyone. I am the Director of Marketing for Adventures by Disney and want to help clarify some of the questions and concerns posted today. For those of you who have traveled with us in the past, you know how we at Adventures by Disney treat our Guests… you’ve sent us emails and letters and posted on this site about the personalized service and attention. We always want to make sure that you feel important and listened to. Please take a minute to read this and hopefully it will clear up some of the confusion. Thanks! Lilly

Website – The website with new dates and pricing is live today. For some of you, depending on browsers, you may need to refresh your browser to get the latest feeds as the site updates. This is probably why some of you are seeing different information. By this afternoon PST, the need to refresh will no longer be an issue. Thanks for your patience!

Regarding EBR: Early Booking Rates were actually confusing and a misnomer for a lot of our Guests… and some of you will remember (depending on the trip and departure date), they often sold out in the first day of booking. Our new pricing structure was created with Guests’ needs in mind: Book early for great rates (and best availability). This means that our 2010 introductory rates will be among the best we offer all year. In addition, we’ve added triple and quad rates so if you choose to have additional family members or a friend share one room, the rate per person, decreases (pending availability). This provides Guests more flexibility and better pricing options.

Also – Past Guests – You should be receiving an email today from us with details. There is definitely a loyalty offer for you. It is $100 off per person (valid through Nov 30).

Regarding pricing: While you may be able to find cheaper guided family tours out there, you will wind up spending a significant amount of incremental funds to supplement all of the items of that aren’t included.

With Adventures by Disney, we always want your vacation to be as stress free and hassle free as possible, so we don’t nickel and dime you. In fact, one thing we hear consistently from Guests during and post travel is that they couldn’t believe how much the trip included .. that it was worth every penny and then some. Below is a list of everything included in each adventure.

Immersive Events and Activities
• Disney-trained Adventure Guides
• Activities with local experts
• Special thrills for Junior Adventurers
• Interaction with historical characters
• Immersive activities for everyone

VIP Experiences
• Private events and privately guided tours
• Backstage access
• Entertainment and special performances
• Bypass the lines at popular museums and attractions
• Fun surprises and gifts throughout your vacation

Admission
• National and regional park entrance fees
• Tickets and admission to events and attractions
• Nature and wildlife educational programs

Hassle-Free Travel
• Airport meet and greet upon arrival
• Transfer to/from hotels
• Transportation within your trip (including flights, trains, etc.)
• Snacks and refreshments en route
• Luggage service
• Concierge service to help plan free time
• Travel taxes

Dining and Resorts
• Outstanding accommodations
• Scheduled meals
• Dinner or movie night especially for kids
• Adult dining experience with wine tasting
• Taxes and gratuities
•
Regarding new itineraries – Our focus for 2010 is on giving Guests new and unique trip types to choose from. We will be announcing these new trips throughout the season. There will be some really exciting and completely new concepts… as well as the official launch of our Gateway Collection. Stay tuned and keep an eye out for announcements.

I for one am not buying the company line, there are several issues I have with ABD and this years trips and I am not really willing to sink a chunk of money into an ABD trip this year.

I am trying to book the Backstage Magic for April/May 2010. Rates just came out this morning - correct? Well guess what - all 3 dates in those months are waitlist only!

April 13th - 18th - waitlist
April 20th - 25th - waitlist
May 18th - 23rd - waitlist

The April 13-18 date is the Disboards group that is going. We have a thread (its a sticky) on the Podcast page. There are 40 of us. We are all very excited. Anyway, that may explain why the "waitlist" is coming up for that date anyway.

I wonder if it will be too late, though. I know not everyone does, but we make our vacation plans pretty far in advance. We usually book about 9-12 months before the trip. We have to start planning *now* for next summer because our schedules are so tight.

ABDLilly, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to our concerns. However, when I compare the price of the 2010 Alaska trip with what I paid for it in 2009, your explanation of the current pricing structure does not explain the elimination of the EBD. The price for the least expensive 2010 date for 1 adult and 1 child is $1120 more than I paid for our trip in 2009 (don't recall if our trip was the least expensive, but I'm giving ABD the benefit of comaparing our trip to the cheapest 2010 trip). If these are the best rates you plan to offer all year, then this year's rates are disappointing. I've been on two ABD trips and I know they are fantastic. I want to have a reason to be a return traveler, but if this is the best you have to offer, I'm afraid I'll be looking elsewhere.

Thank you ABDlily for clearing up some of the issues we've been discussing today on this forum. Perhaps you could answer the question as to why a lot of the dates are listed as "call for details". Also, I'm a bit confused as to your answer about the EBR's...are you saying that the rates that we see today will actually INCREASE over time, depending on how fast it is selling?

It is nice to know that you guys are actually listening to us here on this forum, but please know that many of us loyal ABD'ers are seriously considering "jumping ship" with all of the details released today. Hopefully we see better things in the days to come.

ABDLilly - I appreciate you posting your comments

I still think that the ABD prices are way out of line - I have taken one and I know what they offer and to be honest they are still overpriced. We love the Disney product and travel to DisneyWorld every year staying at deluxe hotels, club level rooms. We travel to DLand every other year and stay at the Grand Californian each time.

We have been to Europe a few time with and without the children. One year we even mirrored the London / Paris tour which cost us 1/2 of what the ABD price was. We stayed at the same hotels, took the first class chunnel train to Paris. Saw a West End play, saw all the sights included and a few others not included. Hired a guide for 3 days in Paris. Without airfare our total for 2 adults, 2 teens was $8000 including all of our food, shopping, etc. Ok so we didn't get some of the behind the scenes stuff but I am sorry it isn't worth double the cost. We saw the adventures during our week at 95% of the places we visited. We were even on the same chunnel train with them

Pricing this same adventure for 2010 would cost me $16,000 for the 4 of us not including the guides gratuities, airfare and meals not included. For a one week stay I think this is out of hand. Can we afford it? yes but I would never spend that much on one week. I have gone to Europe for 17 days and spent that much but not for just one week.

Sorry we will continue to book on our own through our TA and hire local guides where we feel the need to have someone touring with us.

I really like the ABD product on the one we took and I had hoped the prices would come down to a more reasonable amount. I don't expect them to be cheap but more manageable would be nice, just not worth it at the prices they currently are.

I for one am not buying the company line, there are several issues I have with ABD and this years trips and I am not really willing to sink a chunk of money into an ABD trip this year.

Cant say I don't blame you at all. As a repeat customer your expectations are set and not being met which is an incredible let down given they are the ones who set them!!

Props to ABD for responding this morning. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt on this. ABD knows they cannot afford to blow up their foundational core of customers so I will assume positive intent here until we see more info posted. Until then this ride is going to be CRAZY:scared1:

That certainly wasn't the case when I tried to book the Alpine trip this morning. I was told we *had* to book two rooms because of my daughters' ages. (15)

Regardless, I appreciate you taking the time to address these issues on the message board. There is certainly no disputing that Disney puts its customers first and does everything with the "Disney touch." Unfortunately, the lack of early booking discount, lack of dates in our time frame, and our inability to book a quad room means that we're pursing other options. I'm sure ABD is a great option for families with younger kids, but it's just not going to work for us in 2010.

I agree - I don't see 3rd and 4th person lower rates for 2010 - they weren't offered in 2009 either. They were in 2008 and previous years.

I wonder if it will be too late, though. I know not everyone does, but we make our vacation plans pretty far in advance. We usually book about 9-12 months before the trip. We have to start planning *now* for next summer because our schedules are so tight.

Us too - we plan 9-12 months in advance. The mind set with ABD from speaking to a lot of people over there seems that most people book 6 or less months in advance. Maybe locally but internationall you have to book as soon as the airlines prices are released because they can increase dramatically over time.

I looked at the Tauck trip to Switzerland VS ABD Alpine Magic (which is the trip I want to go on) they have similar itineraries, with tauck being two days longer. The cost for the longer trip is within $20 of what I would pay for ABD for the shorter trip. If I don't like tauck I can always go back to ABD so we will see.

Are you looking at a Tauck Bridges tour? I have only seen the regular Switzerland tour, and the price, based upon double occupancy is $4,890 (and that is a 2009 price) vs. the highest ABD price of $4,279.

I would be interested in seeing what you're looking at, if you could post a link.

Thanks

We have been on 4 ABD's and loved every one. We have also traveled with Tauck (not with kids) and the level of service is comparable and excellent. I received a letter from Tauck not long ago explaining how they were aware of the economy and they were renegotiating all their contracts for 2010 and would offer most trips at the same or lower price. The past ABD's were priced right. They were less than Tauck and A&K and Thompson Family Adventures. The new prices are precariously close to those higher end companies. Without the EBD we feel no need to rush into booking (we booked the first week like many of you, in the past). We have more time to research some other companies. Hopefully, Disney will rethink their plan for this year, if not, they will lose many loyal repeat guests.

We have been on 4 ABD's and loved every one. We have also traveled with Tauck (not with kids) and the level of service is comparable and excellent. I received a letter from Tauck not long ago explaining how they were aware of the economy and they were renegotiating all their contracts for 2010 and would offer most trips at the same or lower price. The past ABD's were priced right. They were less than Tauck and A&K and Thompson Family Adventures. The new prices are precariously close to those higher end companies. Without the EBD we feel no need to rush into booking (we booked the first week like many of you, in the past). We have more time to research some other companies. Hopefully, Disney will rethink their plan for this year, if not, they will lose many loyal repeat guests.

I've never been on a tour with another company. I love ABD and didn't see any reason to look any farther. I had my ABD vacations tentatively planned for at least the next 4 years. But now, I definitely will look into other companies. Chances are I'll be booking with a different company this year and if I find that the tours are comparable, I'll be shopping around for my vacation for years to come.

I just checked out the Thompson Family Adventures sight and was very impressed with what they have to offer. Lots of destinations, many offered by ABD, and many different. Plus, if you fill out their online survey, you get a coupon for $500 off a future trip....better than what ABD is offering me! Definitely worth looking into. And thankyou to those of you who suggested these other companies worth looking into...it helps all of us make our vacation decisions.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter