Is August that bad?

Ummm, not sure we will be able to do it. We live in way upstate NY, where the schools sometimes shutdown because the temps are -30. On our trip in January, we had to leave the park so the kids could swim because they were complaining of the heat, which wasn’t quite 80 degrees. We were quite spoiled that trip with next to no lines. Our boys have some sensory issues, and the crowds might be too much for them as well.

You won't encounter heavy crowds, but it's really, really hot. Like, you are waiting for a nighttime show and the sun has gone down, but there is still sweat pouring from your body hot (that was my ROL experience last year). There are ways around it, of course, but they include leaving the parks around 1 pm and not going back until about 6 pm which kind of negates the low-crowd advantage. We've gone the last week of August for the past 7 years and will go again this year (I swore never again but we are meeting friends down there and it's the only time they can go, so . . . ). We keep our must-do's to a minimum and spend a lot of time in the pool. If you want to do heavy park touring, late August is not your friend.

I have Disney ponchos that are over 10 years old that I use both at home and not at Disney.

Over time it's cheaper to buy a better product and reuse it rather than buying disposable junk (and creating more plastic landfill waste).

The good thing with the Disney ponchos is that if they rip you can turn them in for a brand new one. I swapped one out last August when we were there. Will have them again when we go this August.

If you don’t mind sharing, while I saw somewhere else the salt pills/chewables for electrolytes, I’m interested in what the name is of the hydrating crystals you use?
I’m also going to purchase some cooling towels.
What kinds of shoes do you wear? We always wear sneakers, but that sounds hideous in the rain. Are there supportive sandals?
In the past we've used Kroger brand Hydration mix powder, which worked very well, but apparently they don't make it anymore.
Now we have Emergen C Electro Mix which has even more of the salts and minerals needed to maintain electrolyte balance. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HWRY5S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
As for shoes I prefer New Balance Cross Trainers or All Terrain.
They dry very quickly and are lightweight.

People are different regarding how well they handle extreme heat and humidity. It doesn't sound like Disney in August would be a good fit for your family. I went once in August and I will NEVER do it again. It's hard to have fun when you're miserably overheated. It drains you and you can't do as much. You might save money going in August but if you're having to leave the parks in the heat of the afternoon, take it slow and easy, and leave early because you're exhausted from the heat, you're not really getting your money's worth. I'd economize in other ways if need be and go at a time when you can actually enjoy yourselves.

Well, thanks all for the feedback. We reviewed the numbers and it’s not enough of a savings for us to give up going in January. The one benefit I can’t ignore is that our kids wouldn’t miss any school, but honestly, we can’t handle heat...at all. I also have mild Lupus and have to limit my time in the sun as it is. This is the main reason, for us, we really have to go during a colder month.

I'm from upstate NY as well and on my trips in early September (right after Labor Day), it was UNGODLY HOT. Like sweat just rolling down your back, chest, neck, legs, etc - hot. Sticky clothes, sweaty hair. I had a pretty hard time adjusting the first couple of days of each September trip. I drank a ton of water but it was hard to cool down. Both trips it cooled off a bit later in our visits, but I swore to myself that I will never go in July or August... My northern body and that kind of humidity just don't mix well.

What kinds of shoes do you wear? We always wear sneakers, but that sounds hideous in the rain. Are there supportive sandals?

That’s a whole other thread! People swear by Keen’s. I personally find bringing several footwear options is what works best for me.

Back to the topic of August—my favorite trips of all were in August 2008, 2009 and 2010. Sure, it was hot and we had some thunderstorms, but we got in plenty of pool time. It’s a help that the sun goes down by 7:00 later in the month. It’s still hot and humid, but without the sun blazing on you, it’s tolerable. :)

IMO, if you have socks and sneakers on you will be much hotter then if you have good sandals on with no socks. When your feet are hot, your whole body feels hotter, IMO. I wear a pair of Keene's sandals with no socks. Super comfortable and feet can "breathe".

The good thing with the Disney ponchos is that if they rip you can turn them in for a brand new one. I swapped one out last August when we were there. Will have them again when we go this August.

Wow, I didn't know this. Thanks for the heads up.

HOT. Too hot. We use to go in the summer, then we switched over to November/December and I could not believe how much more enjoyable it was. I just never want to go back in the summer. For me, it is a deal breaker.

We go every August but to be honest, this year I told my children I can't do AK. It is unbearable and there is so little relief from the heat anywhere. You feel like you are on a frying pan all day. I would love to be in Disney will a sweatshirt on and pants, it would be so much enjoyable. We only spend around 4 hours or so in the parks because honestly, it's too hot to do more than that.

We go every July or August and the two things I will recommend are to take an afternoon break and go back to the hotel for a few hours each day. The other recommendation is to buy a pack of bottled water and freeze a bottle for each person in your party for both your morning and afternoon. They will stay cold for hours in a bag as they melt and they are a ready ice pack if you need to put it on your forhead, etc to cool down quickly.

It is hot hot hot. It is very rainy, and it is hurricane season. It seems the hurricanes get very active mid Aug-mid Sept. The heat radiates off the pavement and you have to be very careful. Drink tons of water. We saw multiple people pass out from dehydration on our Aug trip. The sun is very strong so make sure to pack tons of sunscreen. You will be seeking relief from the heat, but at times there is none so you have to just push forward. The WS in epcot comes to mind. It's a tough place to be in the heat, very little shade and very very hot. You will sweat an ungodly amount and so will everyone around you so be prepared for the odor. LOL! It's truly disgusting. I prefer the cooler weather and Nov is my favorite month for Disney.

Well, I've done lots of research into best times to go, and we're going August 30-September 8. One big reason is because we can go for 9 days, but the kids only miss 4 days of school. Also, crowd levels are generally about the lowest of the year. Not that they are LOW, but LOWEST. Also, you're right, rates are lower then. It will be blazing hot, but we have been twice in September and we can handle it. If it saves a lot of money, I say go for it!

we might be going around the same time! august 27 - sept 2nd!

If by supportive you mean a high arch then maybe look into Chacos brand, especially the older styles. The Chacos arch was too high for me when I last tried them though and hurt my feet and so I prefer Keen or Teva brand sandals. (I've been reading some reviews of newer Chacos and the arch may not be as high as they used to be so I may try them again.... ) They all seem to have a similar price point and many styles are good in wet conditions with good traction.

Been the last couple August ...yes it's hot, but actually no hotter than Maryland where we live..so by August kinda used to it. Thing is, I hate heat and humidity..but i deal with it by wearing moisture wicking clothes, sandals, and avoiding using a backpack when can. Travel light, drink water, enjoy the A/C when in it and you can get by. Of course a nice 70 degree day would be much more preferable, but can't work that in to a schedule.

Yikes! Our trip is early August. Sounds like I better start hydrating now. And reevaluate not rope dropping.

We’re also from upstate NY and we always go the last two weeks in August. We’re lucky the heat doesn’t bother us. We go to the parks early and leave around noon, then cool off at the pool. We return to the parks around 5:30 again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter