Is DVC Getting too Big?

Yep, capacity issues - park capacity, restaurant capacity, pool capacity. Disney is going to have to do something if they want more beds - DVC beds or otherwise. And resource issues - a shortage of housekeepers, a shortage of good managers.

I also think that as DVC grows its flexibility is going to get less and less. More and more competition for a few rooms at small resorts. More rules and less flexibility.

I dont know about capacity for the parks or pools. Its been years since I have seen any type of park capacity that I used to see. With the 4 parks youwould have to grow quite a bit more to have an effect on that

usually with the new roesrts there are new pools, so that should be a wash too

resources yes I agree: they are already the largest single site employer and keep looking to outsource some of the jobs

I think that the Pop Century rumor will never pan out. If they do ever offer a lower cost option it would have to be a seperate program.

I dont know if pop will happen for dvc but if it does I doubt it will be a separate program.

one value dvc resort alone in its own separate program? doesnt make much sense

maybe they play with the banking deadlines, but without the flexibility of other resorts in th emix whats the point?

I think most NEW members will not say it is getting too big; it was big when they joined and that didn't stop them. I think alot of the old timers that have owned for 10+ yrs. would say, yes, it is getting too big. I am not saying this from a resort aspect, of course more options are better. I am saying from a member aspect. i feel it is too big. Disney would disagree, i'm sure!

It just doesn't feel as special as it once did. MS has so many new people to handle the load and the ones i've dealt with are not trained very well. They left a point in my 2007 use year and used 2008 and even borrowed from 2009 without using that 2007 point first. Luckily, I noticed and had them correct it. I had one CM at MS tell me that i had to book the Disney Collection at 7 mos. out, not 11. Fortunately, i've been around long enough to recognize these mistakes but i can only wonder how many new members don't notice or realize and just assume MS is always right.

I've scaled back on my points to a fourth of what i once had and don't miss the points at all, that is something i thought i'd never do. Our vacation style has changed, but DVC has changed as well, and I don't feel it's for the better.

That said, DVC still has the most beautiful and spacious resorts and regardless of how large it's grown, we still did the right thing when we bought and have had 10+ years of fantastic vacations that i wouldn't trade for the world!

those are good points, I agree. Its sort of like anything else, bigger you get more options more flexibility. smaller its more personal

with dvc getting bigger, you will have more options to stay, including offsite, more potentail for dvc merchandise, should get you more amenities as well

Yep, capacity issues - park capacity, restaurant capacity, pool capacity. Disney is going to have to do something if they want more beds - DVC beds or otherwise. And resource issues - a shortage of housekeepers, a shortage of good managers.

I also think that as DVC grows its flexibility is going to get less and less. More and more competition for a few rooms at small resorts. More rules and less flexibility.

My feelings exactly!

Although I have previously said that I didn't think DVC was getting too big, I do feel that WDW is getting too small (if additional DVCs are built there). Between the resorts and the extra DVCs, the amount of potential guests will overrun the existing parks plus DTD! :scared1:

I can't imagine that the new development on the western end of the property is meant to address that. IMHO, that "tabled" fifth park will have to be built, no matter what its theme. :thumbsup2 (Or, at least I hope so..........:rolleyes1 )

you all really think dvc is having (or will have if it continues to grow) that big of an impact of park attendance? to the point where its overcrowded?

i can see everything else but not the parks

I havent been there in years where it was anything even close to the ole days when there was just the MK or MK & Epcot, not syaing that was a good thing but with 4 parks those crowds really disperse

plus I would think from what ive read here that alot of dvcers are really doing the parks all day like they once did when they were on less frequent trips

you all really think dvc is having (or will have if it continues to grow) that big of an impact of park attendance? to the point where its overcrowded?

I havent been there in years where it was anything even close to the ole days when there was just the MK or MK & Epcot, not syaing that was a good thing but with 4 parks those crowds really disperse

plus I would think from what ive read here that alot of dvcers are really doing the parks all day like they once did when they were on less frequent trips

Over many years, we've been going to WDW in what used to be considered "off-season" (fall, January & May), and the crowds have steadily increased! :crowded: No, they're not as bad as the holiday or summer crowds, but the days of the half-empty parks and restaurant "walk-ins" are over. :sad1: The only time that seems like "the good old days" is maybe sometime in September, before F & W and free dining begins. :sad2:

I think DVC is too small!

I mean I realize the link between Disney and DVC and the desire to keep close ties to the parks, but I would really like to see more DVC resorts that are not at WDW (or in FL for that matter). I'm glad to see the one in CA finally coming true... now what about Hawaii?

The bigger and more widespread DVC gets, the more travel options at reasonable point costs. Of course, it also puts more emphasis on the buy where you want to stay philosophy too.

Parks too. When we first went Epcot was newly opened. But Disney only had the Poly, Contempory, Ft. Wilderness and the Golf Resort. Parks were empty offseason and Disney was very dependant on offsite guests. I remember going in October and Feburary and walking onto Space Mountain at 2:00 in the afternoon.

Disney can fill their parks now without daytrippers - but daytrippers and people who stay out at the Days Inn still come in.

DVC also spreads out the capacity - since the resorts are pretty full year round they send people to the parks year round.

And Disney has done a poor job expanding pool capacity as they've extended DVC rooms - the quiet pool at BCV or VWL does not take the additional stress off the theme pool.

We don't go to Disney when its busy - I can't think of anything I enjoy less than crowds - but now each year the "off season" gets busier. DVC isn't the only reason for that, but its a strong contributor. Once it gets too busy, people like us will stop going.

We like cruising a lot, and maybe that's why we're so thrilled with our DVC. It's a lot like cruising, you unpack once, and then have a ball for whatever the length of stay is.

Our DGC are young and if all goes as planned, they and our extended family will go together on a yearly basis, so there's no need for any of us to see it all and do it all in one trip.

We've enjoyed all of the on site resorts, and have our favorites, which we bought at, and Vero Beach as well. We don't plan to buy in California, but I do hope we'll be able to visit DL at least once with the family.

I do not think that DVC is too big, but I do think that there's a gap between what it wants to do and the computers and training of it's cast members. I hope the concept of losing a ressie that one has a "right" to make becomes foreign! Within the past few weeks, I've spoken to someone in Member's Satisfaction, and she really did relay a feeling of getting things done and making DVC better for it's members.

Last week, we enjoyed a 3 night WDW stay, 1 at Pop Century and 2 at AKV. It was just the right amount of time for a short and sweet visit. However, the one regret was that we were not there for a MNSSHP. We've been to one in the past 4 years, and I think that this year the MK's decorations were just extra Beautiful. Disney really brought them up a notch or two. We'll be there with DGC, but they're too young, and DH and I don't want to leave them to go off by ourselves. If our DS and DDiL want to have a night at one, fine, we'll stay with the DGC.

I've trusted DVC with a lot of our vacation money...it's been money well spent.

Bobbi:goodvibes

not to sure if i want to ownup,but it was me that posted about dvc at pop on the romors board about 6-7 monts ago.It was ment as a joke think i said 6 points weekend and 4 during week.Reson i posted as there was alot of speculation as what to do with the closed part of pop.God things get out of hand
Paulh

so WDW is not even sticking with their original plans for DVC.

They haven't for a long time. When we bought in, we were told that there would never be another DVC on Disney grounds. Look what happened!

Do I think it has gotten too big? Yes, after they built the 2nd DVC on property and changed the Disney Vacation Club to Old Key West
Resort. Never have gotten over that!

I think most NEW members will not say it is getting too big; it was big when they joined and that didn't stop them. I think alot of the old timers that have owned for 10+ yrs. would say, yes, it is getting too big. I am not saying this from a resort aspect, of course more options are better. I am saying from a member aspect. i feel it is too big. Disney would disagree, i'm sure!

It just doesn't feel as special as it once did. MS has so many new people to handle the load and the ones i've dealt with are not trained very well. They left a point in my 2007 use year and used 2008 and even borrowed from 2009 without using that 2007 point first. Luckily, I noticed and had them correct it. I had one CM at MS tell me that i had to book the Disney Collection at 7 mos. out, not 11. Fortunately, i've been around long enough to recognize these mistakes but i can only wonder how many new members don't notice or realize and just assume MS is always right.

I've scaled back on my points to a fourth of what i once had and don't miss the points at all, that is something i thought i'd never do. Our vacation style has changed, but DVC has changed as well, and I don't feel it's for the better.

That said, DVC still has the most beautiful and spacious resorts and regardless of how large it's grown, we still did the right thing when we bought and have had 10+ years of fantastic vacations that i wouldn't trade for the world!

You are so right, it just isn't special anymore. We are using our points for other things now, even giving vacations for wedding presents, etc. We've been around long enough too to see the mistakes but I have found when I posted something on here, it was our fault, not DVC and even received a warning! Remember when you could call member services and they knew you by your name and not your number? You knew eveyone at the front desk and bell services and the Gurgling Suitcase and they knew you and were waiting when you arrived for a proper "Welcome Home"? People who bought in the past few years have no clue what it was like and how we would do anything to get that back. As I posted earlier, when we bought in early 92, we were told that it would be the only DVC on Disney property. That sucked us right in because then it really was "special".

Were you around when they planted "Clarry's Tree"?

Over many years, we've been going to WDW in what used to be considered "off-season" (fall, January & May), and the crowds have steadily increased! :crowded: No, they're not as bad as the holiday or summer crowds, but the days of the half-empty parks and restaurant "walk-ins" are over. :sad1: The only time that seems like "the good old days" is maybe sometime in September, before F & W and free dining begins. :sad2:

I think it is because people are now "home schooling" or they are just taking their kids out when they want.

In my eyes the more members the harder it becomes to get what you want for a stay with out proper planning. Also the buy where you want to stay addage holds very true as the membership grows.

Brownie

My guide states that DVC has allocated every room that they sell. So it does not get harder with more members..

Sure, I think DVC can get too big...though I have no idea what the tipping point would be.

As others have said...if DVC goes value, I'm out.

I agree here. We have often gone during what we used to call "walk on" season--:goodvibes Walked on to all rides, walked in to restaurants without reservations...had pics taken with multiple characters at once. Those days are verrrry few and far between now. I miss them dearly.

To me, while growth causes change, change doesnt always have to be bad. I am one of those who remembers going to Disney every year when there was no MGM, no GF or any of the other "New" resorts, and DVC was a distant dream. Does anyone think that even Walt could have pictured what it has become today? As great of a vision that he had, I'm not so sure...

I love Disney today just as much as I loved it in the old days. Sure its bigger, but that just means there are new things that are special to me. In the case of DVC, while bigger may not always be better, one thing is usually for sure, and that is bigger creates opportunities. I personally am excited to see what those opportunities bring. Watching Wishes from my room at CRV, taking my family to DLP or Hawaii. None of these things happen if things stay status quo, so I'm willing to sacrifice with some changes and growth, because of the upside potential!:yay:

I agree 100%. We are also old members and feel the same way. We are in the process of keeping 150 of our DVC points and selling off all the rest. Thank goodness, we bought additional contracts at 100 points each. They sell much faster this way.
What really pushed us over the edge was two fold. We have owned a home in FL for many years, but in the past year we sold our original FL and bought a new home that is literally minutes from WDW. We are now so close that we can see Epcot and MK fireworks from our home.
Combined with the fact that our new neighbors are now WDW; what really pushed me over the edge to decide to sell off most of our DVC points was their lastest booking policy.
At this point I am keeping 150 DVC points just for taking the grandchildren for an onsite stay. However, if DVC continues in the path they are currently on, those 150 DVC points will also be up for sale.
I also, NEVER thought I would feel this way-- but enough is enough. It is such a shame. :-(. I remember how excited we were when we bought DVC and took our first trip as DVC members. It just does not feel the same anymore.

My guide states that DVC has allocated every room that they sell. So it does not get harder with more members..

Of course it does. It doesn't become harder to book ANY room, but it becomes much harder to use the seven month window at the smaller resorts.

Once upon a time there were 50,000 DVC members (about the time we joined) and five DVC resorts - only two of which were sold out. If those 50,000 members wanted a BWV standard view room - the 25,000 of them that owned a resort other than BWV competed with each other once the non-home booking window opened. Now they compete with another 100,000 owners - the only people it is the same for is the BWV owners - and even for them it isn't the same - since they used to have some chance competing with the 25,000 AFTER seven months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter