Is it me? AKV Concierge

Luv2trav

DIS Veteran
Does anyone else think the points for Concierge level are low? I'm not complaining because I think it's a great deal... What are your thoughts? How hard is it to get these rooms? Are they just located in Jambo house or will there be some in the new section?

I also think they are a bit low, but we must take into consideration that getting a Savanna View is 50/50 with a pool view when booking Concierge.
Because of that it's misleading to simply compare the amount of points required for Concierge, vs the required points for a Savanna View.

Does that make sense?? :smokin:

MG

Yes makes sense. I know there is a risk involved whether you get Sav view or not... I still think compared to cash rooms the points cost is low... Again, I am thrilled and I think this is going to sway me to purchase AKV vs SSR.

Will there be rooms in the new section with a lounge?

Will there be rooms in the new section with a lounge?
I don't think so. I think the only Club Level rooms will be in Jambo House, and consist of five 2br lockoffs.
Lisa has all the details and maps of where the rooms will be. She posted it on another thread, but I'm not sure which one.

I *sort of* wish the points for Concierge were higher, since that would reduce competition. I also wish they offered a few GVs with Concierge. :smokin:

MG

If anyone can point me to that thread I would love to read it...I have several questions.

Will there be another sitdown restaurant in the new section? I think I read that there would be..

Okay, I admit it, I don't really "get" what makes concierge desirable. My understanding is that there's some sort of lounge where they have a
mini-buffet and snacks, and you can pay extra for a concierge safari experience. Is that it? Am I missing something?

Ya'll know I suffer from FOB (fear of buffets) - is there something other than the lounge that goes with concierge - like fancier rooms? What do the concierge services provide - do they have special dining reservation access or something like that? I am curious!! We're going to take my parents with us to AKV in June of 08, and I would do concierge for them if it's really worth it.

It is a selling thing. the guides can show how reasonable the concierge view is if you will only buy points.

I think for those of us who don't own at AKV getting a concierge view will be very, very hard.

since I have never done concierge don't know if I will even try for it.

Okay, I admit it, I don't really "get" what makes concierge desirable. My understanding is that there's some sort of lounge where they have a
mini-buffet and snacks, and you can pay extra for a concierge safari experience. Is that it? Am I missing something?
Nope, that about sums it up.
I call it a "$200 cup of coffee" because that's about what you pay extra per night, and that's about what you get.

That being said, my wife and I usually stay concierge when we stay at a non DVC resort. We are also booked for concierge at AKV in May.
Why do we do it?? I really don't know to be honest. I do really like the check in procedure, but that's not worth $1400/week.
I will say that if my budget were tighter, that would be the first luxury to get the axe.

I will say that AKL/AKV Concierge has a major advantage to other resorts because that's the only way to get on the Sunrise Safari. The Safari is truly worth doing if you get the opportunity. :smokin:

MG

Okay, I admit it, I don't really "get" what makes concierge desirable.

For me, it's the sunrise and sunset Safaris.

Also, the points may be low for concierge, but there aren't that many rooms available, so it's not like Disney is losing money on the deal. I think it was a nice little 'plus' to get people like me sucked into it.

I've heard from friends that have done concierge level at other deluxe resorts that the concierge folks were able to get them reservations at popular restaurants when they were told themselves that nothing was available. I've also heard a couple of instances about special seating at other events. Whether this is true or not I can't personally attest to, it's only what I've been told.

We will be staying AKV concierge in March, but it will be the first time. I wanted to give it a try why we had the chance given the likely difficulty of booking it in the future. I do like the idea of a separate check-in area and the ability to book the safaris, particularly the Sunset Safari, something I think makes AKV concierge special.

I can say that unless it exceeds my expectations I will probably not do concierge level again. It just worked out that we snagged a reservation for it this go 'round.

I see the concierge/club level to be desireable because of the two special sunrise and sunset safaris that are available. I could care less about the food. Heck, I don't even care if I get savanna view if I can take in those two safaris! It's why I changed my SV room to a CC room for March. I figure I can always stay Savanna view another time.

I see the concierge/club level to be desireable because of the two special sunrise and sunset safaris that are available. I could care less about the food. Heck, I don't even care if I get savanna view if I can take in those two safaris! It's why I changed my SV room to a CC room for March. I figure I can always stay Savanna view another time.

So now the obvious question is... what makes the sunset/sunrise safaris so special?

So now the obvious question is... what makes the sunset/sunrise safaris so special?
The breakfast FEAST. You have to experience it to believe it.
The safari vehicle will stop, and the driver will explain things in depth. The bus also takes you behind the scenes, although you can see most of that from the Conservation Station train.

Did I mention the breakfast?? :thumbsup2

MG

From what I understand it is more like a traditional safari: small group, transported to AK for a private tour of the safari, they stop often and long to take pictures, watch the animals, explain all about the animals, then they take you to a private and by all accounts luxurious buffet just for the group. Lots of African flavors and tons of food there. And they give you a FastPass to see the safari the regular way later.

Sunset is the same but with dinner food served. You need park admission and Concierge level. Also the animals tend to be more active closer to dawn and dusk.

Now for me, it's not really worth it. You're already getting to see the animals outside your room and you have a full kitchen for your own snack food. But the concierge lounge can be nice for a lark now and then. I never pay special for it but have been "upgraded" at Marriott a few times.

Sunset is the same but with dinner food served. You need park admission and Concierge level. Also the animals tend to be more active closer to dawn and dusk.
The Sunset Safari takes place at the Lodge so park admission is not required.

The breakfast FEAST. You have to experience it to believe it.
The safari vehicle will stop, and the driver will explain things in depth. The bus also takes you behind the scenes, although you can see most of that from the Conservation Station train.

Did I mention the breakfast?? :thumbsup2

MG

You sound just like my DH! We did the sunrise safari last Dec and loved it. I think he loved the FEAST at least as much or more than the safari itself.

This December we are doing the sunrise safari again AND added the sunset safari with the dinner at Jiko's to follow. Jiko's is our favorite restaurant in all of WDW. We usually order the same meal every time we go so this dinner event will force us to try new food there. (We still have a Jikos reservation for another night later on when we can get our favorite foods, just in case...) If the Jikos dinner is anywhere near as good as the breakfast FEAST we'll be in heaven.

From what I understand it is more like a traditional safari: small group, transported to AK for a private tour of the safari, they stop often and long to take pictures, watch the animals, explain all about the animals, then they take you to a private and by all accounts luxurious buffet just for the group. Lots of African flavors and tons of food there. And they give you a FastPass to see the safari the regular way later.

Now for me, it's not really worth it. You're already getting to see the animals outside your room and you have a full kitchen for your own snack food. But the concierge lounge can be nice for a lark now and then. I never pay special for it but have been "upgraded" at Marriott a few times.
Sunset is NOT the same. The sunset safari is at the lodge on the savannas there, NOT at Animal Kingdom park. I've done a trip around the savannas at the lodge with two of the keepers there and it was fantastic. That private tour was lightyears better than any safari at the park. We are hoping to recreate it when we go again in December, especially since this time it will include dinner at Jiko's after the safari.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter