• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it okay to take a baby...

hurleysweety

DIS Veteran
into either the Cove Bar, Heartstone Lounge, or Alfresco Tasting Terrace? We've been to Disneyland many times, but this will be our first time as parents. We wouldn't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable. We'd plan to go when she was asleep. But she'll only be 6 months old, so we can't control everything! It would just be nice to take a break, enjoy some nachos, and I'd enjoy a glass of wine (hubby doesn't drink). So we would just be going to take a break and relax. Not sure if we'll actually do it, but wondering what others would think. I know I shouldn't care, but I do. LOL. :goodvibes

And thanks in advance for not judging us for taking a 6 month old to Disneyland. ;)

yes. To the extent that there are no laws or rules against it. As for what others would think, you're going to get a range of opinions, especially if you intend to remain in the lounge with a screaming baby. I don't see a reason for anyone to care as long as the child isn't screaming or you don't change diapers right there in the lounge.

Thanks! We aren't the type of people that "go out" and go to bars and such, so I've never really paid any attention. We are definitely not ones to let our baby fuss/scream in a quiet environment and I always change diapers in the bathroom. I'm probably more critical of myself than anyone else could be! I have "first time mom" written all over my face! :thumbsup2

California law is such that as long as these locations are also bonafide eating establishments that minors are okay. Bars/Nightclubs that are not bonafide eating establishments do not allow minors.

And just a bit of trivia those that allow minors have PINK licenses, those that don't have GREEN licenses.

I think at Disneyland everyone expects to be surrounded by children. I don't have any of my own, but I know that visiting the Resort means there will be lots of kids. And most children are having a great time with their families. I do appreciate it when screaming children are removed from places like Napa Rose or Carthay, mainly because of the atmosphere and the price being paid.

I think the places you mentioned would be a nice little spot to recharge. I have seen parents with kids in all those places. I hope you enjoy!

You definitely won't be out of place at Cove Bar, it's basically become the waiting area for Ariel's Grotto and is usually full of kids. It is crowded though, so look for a table where you can put a stroller against the rail, or it will get bumped. Hearthstone is usually not busy during the day. At night there can be a wait for a table. I can't imagine sitting at the bar with a baby or a stroller. There are little alcoves with tables that are a little more private. The other one where a baby wouldn't be out of place is Carthay Lounge. Not the room with the bar, but in the lobby area there are small tables and a few tucked away where a stroller wouldn't be in the way. What I'm saying is, you need to put baby in a corner. Haha.

There are also places without outdoor seating where you can get a class of wine and food. Wine Country Trattoria has wine on the menu and the wine bar next door (I'd avoid the bar upstairs, very small, limited seating, have to deal with stairs, and rarely see children there) and there's a bar with beer and wine (Bayside Brews) in the seating area for Boardwalk Pizza and Paradise Garden Grills.

You can do any of them. The only looks you might get would be if you let the child scream disrupting other guests' experiences. Also, you need to sit at a table and not at the bar itself.

Trader Sam's does have a "over 21 after 8pm" rule, so you would have to go outside after 8.

Also, you need to sit at a table and not at the bar itself.

That's the important part. For CA and some other states.

FL, not important. Kids can sit AT the bar there. (at least in WDW, which I'm OK assuming means it's state law that they can sit at the bar)

We took our dd to the hearthstone at GCH, had no problems with it. It was more comfortable though to get our drinks and then take them to the fireplace inside the lobby. It was more relaxing for all of us. :)

Thanks! We aren't the type of people that "go out" and go to bars and such, so I've never really paid any attention. We are definitely not ones to let our baby fuss/scream in a quiet environment and I always change diapers in the bathroom. I'm probably more critical of myself than anyone else could be! I have "first time mom" written all over my face! :thumbsup2

Your comment reminded me of the Luvs diaper commercial on TV.
You sound like the first time mom they portray. I get a real chuckle when they show the mom after the second baby.

Have a fun trip.

Geemo

California law is such that as long as these locations are also bonafide eating establishments that minors are okay. Bars/Nightclubs that are not bonafide eating establishments do not allow minors.

And just a bit of trivia those that allow minors have PINK licenses, those that don't have GREEN licenses.

I'm not sure if there's really that well defined a line.

One establishment that I've frequented a few times is the Sierra Nevada Brewery's Torpedo Room in Berkeley. Basically they serve beer. They sell some food items for sale, but it's limited to sliced meats and cheese. There's no kitchen per se. They also have crackers there on the bar.

I can't find anything on their license that would state whether or not children are allowed. I have brought a child in there, and the employees all said it was fine. My kid basically spent the time just munching on the crackers while I had beer.

I've seen some weirdness in my day. One time my wife and I wanted to partake in Ruth's Chris happy hour specials, which are cheap and only served in the bar area. Usually you'd think that's a no-no. I've been to plenty of bar areas where I was told no children at the bar counter - only tables. Even a "family restaurant" like Applebee's or Chili's. However, they said our kid was fine, but we had to wait.

Just use your best judgement. Kids are expected at a lot of places in Disneyland you might not normally take them elsewhere.

As for any bar areas in general, I certainly wouldn't belly up to a bar with a stroller in tow or even a child as I feel that's a bit disrespectful to others. In my opinion, the actual bar should be left for adults. When I was young teen my dad took me to an upscale restaurant/bar to meet some of his friends and we all sat at the bar for an hour or so. My brother and I felt weird drinking our sodas there. Others not in our group looked at us funny. If the bar area has tables and the establishment is okay with it (not legally speaking, ask if it's okay) then go for it. That experience I had as a kid would have been much better if my brother and I sat at one of the tables.

into either the Cove Bar, Heartstone Lounge, or Alfresco Tasting Terrace? We've been to Disneyland many times, but this will be our first time as parents. We wouldn't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable. We'd plan to go when she was asleep. But she'll only be 6 months old, so we can't control everything! It would just be nice to take a break, enjoy some nachos, and I'd enjoy a glass of wine (hubby doesn't drink). So we would just be going to take a break and relax. Not sure if we'll actually do it, but wondering what others would think. I know I shouldn't care, but I do. LOL. :goodvibes

And thanks in advance for not judging us for taking a 6 month old to Disneyland. ;)

Our kids usually meet us in the Hearthstone Lounge after they get back from the parks. They're not babies but teenagers- way worse than any baby. ;) :laughing: Have a great trip! :goodvibes

I've taken my girls into the Cove Bar and the Hearthstone Lounge many times, never had any issues. We sit at tables, not at the bar. Personally, I wouldn't even look twice at anyone who took their baby into a "bar" at DL, if you feel funny doing it at the Hearthstone you can take your drinks into the main lobby area in the GCH.

I've taken my girls into the Cove Bar and the Hearthstone Lounge many times, never had any issues. We sit at tables, not at the bar. Personally, I wouldn't even look twice at anyone who took their baby into a "bar" at DL, if you feel funny doing it at the Hearthstone you can take your drinks into the main lobby area in the GCH.

I had to laugh when I read your post. It reminds me of the movie "Sweet Home Alabama" where Reese Witherspoon's character meets a childhood friend and remarks, "You have a baby! In a bar..."

That has become a go-to phrase for my wife and I when we regularly bring our baby to bars around Disney property.

Thanks so much, everyone!

I LOVE that scene, "You have a baby...in a bar..." :rotfl: And the comment about putting baby in the corner - too funny!

A lot of this was just reassurance that my new mommy brain has not left me completely clueless and that it would be perfectly fine if we wanted to sit down in any of the lounge areas and relax for a bit.

I was a little concerned I'd get replies from some people who didn't understand, but silly me, I forgot that DISers are so friendly. Now I remember why I used to spend so much time on here! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter