Is it worth going for half of the experience? Any thoughts?

64ghs

Earning My Ears
My family plans to go in December this year to WDW. But now I’m having second thoughts...no fireworks, no character meet and greets, no extra hours, no dining plan, and now shorter park hours! Should I be given a 50% discount, because I’m getting half the experience? Any thoughts?😩 we are from Ohio.

a personal decision for sure, if you read the "just back" thread you can see that most have enjoyed their trips aside from transportation issues. Here you will get both sides, but in the end is up to you and your family.
As an aside, Disney will not do any discounts so when making the decision plan on paying full price.

I feel sorry for families that will have their first Disney experience during this pandemic. I don't see how anyone that has never been before will walk away with the 'magical' experience that Disney would otherwise offer.

You mention getting 50%. of the experience I don't even think it's that much. The rides are just a small part of what makes Disney what it is.

Dining plan shouldn't figure in to the experience. Some come out ahead, some break even, some come out behind but enjoy the convenience. Unless there's free dining you're paying for your food either way.

Meet and greets, with kids, are another thing. As are shows and parades.

The flip side, a many have reported, is shorter lines for rides. This negates the shorted hours.

We are still planning on our September trip. We have grown children, so characters and parades are not high on our list. Always enjoy seeing them, but won't change our trip much. Hard part for us is not being able to park hop. We stay at BCV and usually go to Epcot every day at some point. The limit to only one park will definitely change our trip -- and the shortened hours. I am hoping the trade off will be the limited park attendance leading to shorter lines. I am also just looking for some nice family time away from home. It is totally a personal decision.

I think it all depends on your family and what you like to experience at the park and whether it's a first or infrequent visit. If that's the case, then I wouldn't go. I don't visit with children and don't typically do the character meet and greets - I honestly prefer the way it is now getting to just see the characters out an about. I could take or leave the parades. The shorter hours weren't an issue when we were there - we were finished with every park before closing and arrived after opening - it was a much more relaxed trip than we normally take. We don't do the dining plan unless it's free and we budget all food with discounted gift cards beforehand. The low crowds and low waits made the shorter hours negligible for us. I will say that we missed the fireworks at the end of the day (however, we've seen them all before and will see them again when they return as we're frequent visitors), but other than that, it was honestly a more enjoyable trip because we could take our time and just enjoy the parks without having a plan or fast passes to run off to.

We are still going the first week of October. We are looking forward to seeing the little mini parades at MK and haven't been on the Gondolas yet...so we will plan to do that. We can't wait to check out the new horses stable at the campground. I was also able to get 2 restaurants for lunch that we haven't been able to get into on previous trips. We love the rides, so I think if we get to do lots of riding we will be happy. We are at the campground and planning to join in the festivities of decorating our site for Halloween. OP if you can, go over to the campground and rent a golfcart to tour the campground and see all the sites decorated for Christmas. It's partly what we are going to make of it...but do understand your concerns. Our teens are disappointed about no nighttime hours, but we will adjust.

My family plans to go in December this year to WDW. But now I’m having second thoughts...no fireworks, no character meet and greets, no extra hours, no dining plan, and now shorter park hours! Should I be given a 50% discount, because I’m getting half the experience? Any thoughts?😩 we are from Ohio.
we go for 10 days EVERY august...hardest decision we've had through this...but we decided to cancel our 10 days at the Poly...we're supposed to be there right now. For the cost and limited experience, we just didn't think it was worth it

It’s a very different experience, but I don’t think it’s half the experience. In some ways, I enjoyed my rescheduled July 2020 trip more than my 2019 trips, but it definitely wasn’t the same. It was a much more relaxed experience and while I had less time at the parks, I was still able to do a whole lot because of the lower crowds.

I’m planning on going back in September and I expect to have a good time. To go or not to go is a question that you’re going to have to answer on your own and just do what’s best for you and your family. Personally, I wouldn’t go in December this year because it will be at the height of cold and flu season and I’m not so sure what that’s going to look like.

I think it’s a different answer for everyone. I can deal with no character meet and greets and parades. We enjoy the fireworks, but even that would be okay. For me, the dealbreaker is the shortened park hours. I don’t think the cost of the ticket is worth such short hours, personally.

I'm in the "won't go" camp. I really want the full bang for my buck. We rescheduled twice and cancelled twice. We're now just in limbo until things go back to somewhat normal. How long will our wait be? forever, who knows. Holding onto hope.

Thanks...it’s a hard decision. I can’t help but feel I’m getting ripped off because of the sacrifices.😷
I'm going. I accept all the limits and don't feel ripped off. Since you would feel ripped off it's probably better you don't go until everything is back. It wouldn't be a very magical experience feeling ripped off.
For me, the dealbreaker is the shortened park hours. I don’t think the cost of the ticket is worth such short hours, personally.
It almost was a deal breaker for me. I had to really think about it.

For me, it would still be worth it BUT:
  1. I have been to WDW over 20 times so I've seen everything I've wanted to see - if I went everything would be more about the atmosphere.
  2. I love fireworks so I'll miss those but I'm not a fan of the projection shows so I won't miss that.
  3. We typically go in September so hours are usually reduced already.
That said, if you are a go-go-go person, now may not be the time. If it will break your trip if you don't get the parades and such then it's not the time to go.

It's a hard decision and I'm glad I don't have to make it this time around.

We're still going (I think) unless something goes completely sideways. Which, is a real possibility!

We planned a long trip (3 weeks) and hope to keep it simple, not packed and just see & do what makes sense.

We have park reservations for max days and can adjust those as needed. It'll be nice to see the Halloween decorations and not be in a packed park.

wow Thanks for the mention of just relaxing and enjoying the shorter lines. That makes me feel better about going.
I think it all depends on your family and what you like to experience at the park and whether it's a first or infrequent visit. If that's the case, then I wouldn't go. I don't visit with children and don't typically do the character meet and greets - I honestly prefer the way it is now getting to just see the characters out an about. I could take or leave the parades. The shorter hours weren't an issue when we were there - we were finished with every park before closing and arrived after opening - it was a much more relaxed trip than we normally take. We don't do the dining plan unless it's free and we budget all food with discounted gift cards beforehand. The low crowds and low waits made the shorter hours negligible for us. I will say that we missed the fireworks at the end of the day (however, we've seen them all before and will see them again when they return as we're frequent visitors), but other than that, it was honestly a more enjoyable trip because we could take our time and just enjoy the parks without having a plan or fast passes to run off to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter