is magic band + worth it

mblair119

Earning My Ears
I love the original magic band and all the benefits but I don't see the need or purpose of buying the plus. Can someone tell me if I am missing something. Also we have some first time friends coming with us this trip can you still buy the original ones?

I love the original magic band and all the benefits but I don't see the need or purpose of buying the plus. Can someone tell me if I am missing something. Also we have some first time friends coming with us this trip can you still buy the original ones?
I would say no, it's annoying that it has to be charged. I guess it adds some personalization effects the other Magic Band doesn't have; that doesn't seem that cool for me though. I do not want to have to charge something nightly and remind everyone in the group to also do that.

1. you answered your question on the first sentence. If you don't care about the light features, no need to buy the plus

2. they still sell the old one.

If you are staying on property, you can pre order for a special discounted price.

I ordered 2 plus bands for the kids out of our group of 6 for the same price as the few mb2s they are offering. I don’t think our old bands are going to pick up the ride photos anymore, and the kids might like the interactions with the new bands.

No. I bought one when the first came out and have only used it one time to accompany fireworks at EPCOT. Wouldn’t recommend It.

1. you answered your question on the first sentence. If you don't care about the light features, no need to buy the plus

2. they still sell the old one.
How long will they continue to sell the original though, because I bought mine for February trip a few mths ago and there were about 10-12 options, then I went to buy for some extra guests for our July trip, and there were only 4-5 options for regular.

Until they come out with a new MB+ and fix some of the issues, I’m holding off. We have not missed anything by not having a MB+.

How long will they continue to sell the original though, because I bought mine for February trip a few mths ago and there were about 10-12 options, then I went to buy for some extra guests for our July trip, and there were only 4-5 options for regular.
not sure, chances are they will stop selling eventually because they want people to buy the new version and grab more money

They are no longer making old style MB and they are getting harder and harder to find. You’ll be hard pressed to find them now. They’re sometimes available but not everywhere and often hidden behind MB2 on the shelves.

I have all the types from the very beginning to the MB+. All still work. As for the MB+, if you aren't interested in making the statues talk or the lights during the FWs and some of the rides, no it's not worth it. I pretty much got mine because I liked the design and I got it at a discount with a resort stay. I don't mind charging it every night, I just put it on the charger with everything else that has to be charged every night.

It depends on the person. I like my MB+ a lot. Although the biggest feature to me is that I can also use it at Disneyland and I am a local there and go all the time. I just find it so much easier to pull out wrist to scan instead of having to fish out my phone and then log into the app to scan for the park and lightening lanes, especially when pushing a wheelchair... And only MB+ can be used at Disneyland.

I didn't find myself using the extra features, but if I found a design that I liked, I would get another one. There is a misconception that you have to charge the Magicband+ every night or they dont work, the only thing that won't work is the lights and interactive features, otherwise they will still work just like the old magic bands if not charged.

Last edited:
I have all the types from the very beginning to the MB+. All still work.
If I bring back our most recent magic bands (regular ones from a couple of years ago), do I just bring them to check in? Will they set them up for us when we check in?
We just use them for room keys, tapping into park/rides and using dining credits. We don't need the new magic bands+, so hoping we can reuse the old ones. TIA

I think the MB+ prices are getting pretty outrageous. $70 for something that literally used to be free with your stay. I don't feel any of the features warrant the cost, unless you just view it as a pricey keepsake souvenir. I personally prefer the old Magicbands. No worries about charging, and they are (well, were) much cheaper/free.

If I bring back our most recent magic bands (regular ones from a couple of years ago), do I just bring them to check in? Will they set them up for us when we check in?
We just use them for room keys, tapping into park/rides and using dining credits. We don't need the new magic bands+, so hoping we can reuse the old ones. TIA
As long as they show as Active in your MDE (under your profile, MBs and Cards), and your current Disney resort reservation is linked to your MDE account, you’re good to go. They’ll work for all the things you say you use them for. They may or may not link long-distance ride photos, depending on whether the batteries still work or not. If they’re only 2-3 years old, you should be ok there too.

I don’t necessarily love the MB+ and really only got one because we want the ride photos. I was worried our older MBs would not pick up photos. i do feel it is a decent investment since we do visit DLR and can use the bands there as well as when we sail on DCL

We used both on our recent trip and I’d say just stick to the old ones. I never charged my MB+ for the extra features so cannot comment on that. Our family has been using the same old MB’s for 3 yrs now.

I've been using my regular MB for the past 3 or 4 trips. It was free and personalized with my name. My wife has the plus only because we couldn't find here old one and that is what they sold. I plan to bring mine until it stops working.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter