Is Now the Time to Buy a Grand Floridian DVC Resale Contract?

Is Now the Time to Buy a Grand Floridian DVC Resale Contract?

• Yes

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 75.0%

• Total voters
I’ve owned at VGF for several years & stay there every other year, & follow reports about the resort & can’t recall complaints about the villas not aging well other than issues w/ the TVs in the mirrors in the bubble tub room. IME the villas I’ve stayed at, even right before refurb., have been in great shape. I have read reports of other resorts showing wear early on (BLT comes to mind) but I’ve not seen a flood of complaints about VGF. Whether that is true w/ BPK remains to be seen, but the finishes in BPK are essentially the same as the GF outer building hotel room refurbs they’ve just completed.
VGF1 w/ it’s 2.5 million points was the smallest DVC resort, adding BLT’s roughly 1.8 million points means it’ll be a midsize resort going forward https://dvcnews.com/wdw-resorts/gra...s-at-disney-s-grand-floridian-resort-spa-2022 thus I’d expect supply of resale VGF points to go up in the future exerting downward pressure on price.

I think they’re referring to the walkway to MK, which I love that they finally did, but I am not convinced that they finally got around to finishing it just to help sell VGF2, but, they built the Skyliner which you could argue was to help sell Riviera, so what do I know 🤷‍♀️.
Just my guess on the walkway, but I also think 100% the Skyliner was a big part of the thought process in the Riviera resort decision. Otherwise, it's just another nicer off-site hotel. With the Skyliner, it is almost as good of a location as BW/BCV Imo. Riviera with Skyliner is a big deal.

We love the skyliner. We often go to Riviera for dinner even when we aren’t staying there, so we’ve had occasion to take the skyliner on the reverse commute.

The VGF walkway, otoh… I am glad it’s an option, but it’s a long one. Going to MK we will always take the monorail because it’s so close, and going home, we’ll always take the boat, especially now that we don’t have strollers to fold. If only it had been built just a few years earlier —- I could definitely see walking home with sleeping babies after fireworks.

We love the skyliner. We often go to Riviera for dinner even when we aren’t staying there, so we’ve had occasion to take the skyliner on the reverse commute.

The VGF walkway, otoh… I am glad it’s an option, but it’s a long one. Going to MK we will always take the monorail because it’s so close, and going home, we’ll always take the boat, especially now that we don’t have strollers to fold. If only it had been built just a few years earlier —- I could definitely see walking home with sleeping babies after fireworks.
I feel like while its nice to have the VGF walkway, if I stayed at VGF I would only use it during the most crowded of MK nights like New Years, Christmas, July 4th. All the other nights I’d rather spend some extra time shopping on Main Street or going on another ride while waiting for lines to monorail and the boats cool down. It’s pretty darn long to use as a regular option. I made the trek when trying to catch a flight and whewww that was..something lol.

The time to buy GFV has passed imo. Its direct cost was so good during the summer promo that it lowered the resale value. I bought direct for that reason and thrilled to have “fire sale” points at disneys (perceived) flagship resort.
This.

The ideal time to buy GFV was when GFV direct points could be purchased as low as $161 PP with all of the layers discounts and the MB buy-back. $161 direct was a hard bargaining chip to drive the resale value down.

This.

The ideal time to buy GFV was when GFV direct points could be purchased as low as $161 PP with all of the layers discounts and the MB buy-back. $161 direct was a hard bargaining chip to drive the resale value down.
Yes, and I also wonder what Disney gleamed from that pricing and price point. I personally feel like DVC is trying to learn how to make the math work right now for their division, and they gained a lot of valuable information from the summer.

In order to move VGF, they had to push incentives down to $161/pp on 150 points at their unrestricted resort.

I think they are discovering there is a limit to how much people are willing to pay for a timeshare. Also keep in mind that places like Poly and VGF are the worst points charts. An original 230 point OKW contract gets you a week in a 1 BR every time of the year except the most peak season. A 230 point VGF contract gets you a week in a 1 BR never.

In the article it references that VGF was selling for 255 direct and resale was 194 before the addition of the new rooms. Those prices are long gone. With the addition of 2 million points at VGF it's not the same. It's nearly doubled the size of the association. It's not nearly as difficult to get in at 7 months as it used to be and like was said before the best time to buy ended about a month ago. The resale value may go back up slightly once sold out but on average I expect it to settle around 150.

Yes, and I also wonder what Disney gleamed from that pricing and price point. I personally feel like DVC is trying to learn how to make the math work right now for their division, and they gained a lot of valuable information from the summer.

In order to move VGF, they had to push incentives down to $161/pp on 150 points at their unrestricted resort.

I think they are discovering there is a limit to how much people are willing to pay for a timeshare. Also keep in mind that places like Poly and VGF are the worst points charts. An original 230 point OKW contract gets you a week in a 1 BR every time of the year except the most peak season. A 230 point VGF contract gets you a week in a 1 BR never.
I broadly agree, and not to nitpick, but there are several months a year when you can get a week in a 1-BR at GF with 230 points. January and Sept, plus it's close in Feb, and then when we like to go in October it'd be 5 nights vs 6 with 230.

The point chart is definitely brutal at VGF, but not impossible. We gladly took advantage of that great summer pricing and hope DVD learned to price these better!

I broadly agree, and not to nitpick, but there are several months a year when you can get a week in a 1-BR at GF with 230 points. January and Sept, plus it's close in Feb, and then when we like to go in October it'd be 5 nights vs 6 with 230.

The point chart is definitely brutal at VGF, but not impossible. We gladly took advantage of that great summer pricing and hope DVD learned to price these better!
I was referring to Disney's "weekly" rates on the points charts, which I think refer to 7 nights.

I think if you were looking to buy VGF you should have bought over the summer. I’m not sure about resale prices but I would guess we will see more VGF contracts on resale in a few years so maybe prices will drop? Or maybe all those who bought 150 pts realize they need more VGF point to do a week there so they add on resale and remain steady. Who knows.

I own 210 points at VGF. The point charts are tough during high point times. We typically travel during fall and get a one bedroom so 210 should be okay most of the time since we don’t typically do 7 nights. However this year, since we had extra points due to adding on we booked a week at Easter. Wow. 1 bedroom at VGF is 214pts for 3 nights. More than my whole year of points. No thanks. We booked a studio and are moving to a standard hotel one bedroom at BLT the rest of the week. I did notice the weekend is still available even 5 months out.

I think if you were looking to buy VGF you should have bought over the summer. I’m not sure about resale prices but I would guess we will see more VGF contracts on resale in a few years so maybe prices will drop? Or maybe all those who bought 150 pts realize they need more VGF point to do a week there so they add on resale and remain steady. Who knows.

I own 210 points at VGF. The point charts are tough during high point times. We typically travel during fall and get a one bedroom so 210 should be okay most of the time since we don’t typically do 7 nights. However this year, since we had extra points due to adding on we booked a week at Easter. Wow. 1 bedroom at VGF is 214pts for 3 nights. More than my whole year of points. No thanks. We booked a studio and are moving to a standard hotel one bedroom at BLT the rest of the week. I did notice the weekend is still available even 5 months out.
We also have 210 VGF points. I find that to be, for us, more or less the minimum we want at VGF, and that's living local doing shorter stays (albeit many on Friday/Saturday night).

I'd hate to have only 100 for example, though I guess if you're strategic you still can get 5ish nights in a studio. If you're traveling without kids, that's not too bad.

I think the value is there for VGF. We had our sites on VGF or Poly resale for a few months when $161pp Direct offer made Direct impossible to pass up. The dues are great! 40+ years left. I love the resort and Mary Poppins studios!

Time will only tell but VGF is a contender against SSR for Sleep Around Points. It’s possible that after we use it 15-20 years and sell that we end up at a similar use cost to SSR. VGF has 10 more years to expiration.

SSR $100pp/30yrs = $3.33
VGF $150pp/40yrs = $3.75

Add in dues which are $.50pp cheaper at VGF and the cost to use points is neck in neck.

The big difference really is time value of money. VGF has the larger buy-in.

SSR 150pts x $100 = $15k
VGF 150pts x $150 = $22.5k

$7.5k difference today. A conservative 3% over 20yrs nearly doubles it. What resale price will these have ~2042?

VGF will still have 22yrs left and SSR 12yrs. Will VGF resale be 100% more than SSR? Less? more?

Buying DVC is a very individual choice. We all have our own thoughts on value and preferences. None of us have a crystal ball. I don’t know future resale values, or if at some point DVC addresses commercial rentals which affects the ‘Big 3’ resorts, or skyliner gets extended to replace monorail, etc. There will be changes each decade though. What mattered most to us was likelihood we’d keep enjoying the resort/contract and likelihood it’d hold decent value. VGF won.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter