Is the availability of alcohol in the parks changing the magic?

Imamom2

Mouseketeer
We have loved every Disney trip and Food and Wine was the highlight of our trip in Sept. '17. We just booked Beach Club for Jersey Week next November (yes, I'm a Jersey teacher) so we could do it all over again. Our drinking around the world visits were really adult fun. It took us 2 days but we did try a drink in every country :) I didn't see a lot of kids with drinking parents - not that I was looking but if something stood out to me I would have noticed. Now that alcohol is served in all the parks is the atmosphere different? I'm thinking it's a little odd seeing parents pushing strollers and drinking beers at 11:00 am in the Magic Kingdom. I liked that alcohol was strictly an Epcot thing - I'm hoping it doesn't change the magic for us.

FYI - You cannot walk around with a beer pushing a stroller in the MK. Alcohol (and a very limited selection at that) is only served at the sit-down restaurants... BOG, CRT, Skipper Canteen, Tony’s, Plaza, maybe some others I’m forgetting off the top of my head.

We have loved every Disney trip and Food and Wine was the highlight of our trip in Sept. '17. We just booked Beach Club for Jersey Week next November (yes, I'm a Jersey teacher) so we could do it all over again. Our drinking around the world visits were really adult fun. It took us 2 days but we did try a drink in every country :) I didn't see a lot of kids with drinking parents - not that I was looking but if something stood out to me I would have noticed. Now that alcohol is served in all the parks is the atmosphere different? I'm thinking it's a little odd seeing parents pushing strollers and drinking beers at 11:00 am in the Magic Kingdom. I liked that alcohol was strictly an Epcot thing - I'm hoping it doesn't change the magic for us.
Alcohol has never been restricted to epcot. DHS and AK have always had alcohol as well as downtown Disney/ Disney springs and the resorts.
I don't find it rare to see an adult with an adult beverage pushing a stroller or walking next to a child, i also don't find any lack of magic in that situation

Being allowed to have a nice cold beer with my dinner in MK has certainly made my visits there a little more magical. And yes, nobody carries beers around in that park and I've never seen anybody who looked drunk.

FYI - You cannot walk around with a beer pushing a stroller in the MK. Alcohol (and a very limited selection at that) is only served at the sit-down restaurants... BOG, CRT, Skipper Canteen, Tony’s, Plaza, maybe some others I’m forgetting off the top of my head.

Thanks GADisneyDay - I was watching a vlogger and he was tasting the beers in all the parks with a group of people. It looked like they were walking around with parks with beer. I'm glad the drinking is confined to dining areas.

Alcohol has never been restricted to epcot. DHS and AK have always had alcohol as well as downtown Disney/ Disney springs and the resorts.
I don't find it rare to see an adult with an adult beverage pushing a stroller or walking next to a child, i also don't find any lack of magic in that situation

I didn't realize you could walk around DHS and AK with alcohol the way we do in the World Showcase. I know alcohol has been available in restaurants as well as Disney Springs and the resorts. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Depends on your tolerance on what ruins the magic. I'm ok with adults responsibly enjoying some alcoholic beverages. I'm not ok with any whiny entitled adults who feel their behavior and enjoyment is first, foremost, and at the expense of others. Can we get rid of that demeanor in the parks, or at least limit it to just a certain park or festival? :teeth:

A younger version of myself used to ride the monorail to the Disneyland hotel, enjoy a round at the bar, head back to the park. Would even bring a flask in before the bag check era. Early 20's decisions.
Now I enjoy the TS offerings in the parks. That's different, right?

Alcohol was not a strictly Epcot thing in 2017.
Also you can't just walk around with a beer or any alcoholic beverage at MK.

I see this behavior occasionally and the perps always seem stone cold sober. Alcohol doesn't 'make' people act like b@@@holes, it just releases their natural tendencies a little quicker.

Bill From PA

I completely agree. My post wasn't that alcohol makes people act that way, it was that people that act that way, whether drunk OR sober, are some of the reasons that take away the Disney magic for me. But unfortunately there isn't any means to limit or eliminate that type of outlook or behavior in people. If only!

When it was 1st announced that alcohol would be available at the MK, my thoughts were how will this effect Walt's vision. I was glad to see that it is as limited as it is and it is a nice addition for those who want to have a drink with a nice meal.

I've seen a lot of poor behavior at F&W, but other than that, no. I do wish they would have a limit at F&W somehow, seeing people get sick, hearing them shout, yell, cuss, etc... or stumbling around running into people has finely put me off F&W in the evenings esp. on weekends. (BTW, the ones I've witnessed aren't usually parents in the company of kids, but younger individuals sans children.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter