Is the Rainforest DD really worth the $$?

marcyinPA

DIS Veteran
We had planned to eat lunch one day at the Rainforest in DD with my dh, myself and our two ds's, ages 4 & 8. Then I took a look at the menu on allearsnet.com, and I nearly keeled over when I saw the prices of a kids meal! $5.99 for the main dish (chicken fingers or whatever) $.99 for fries, and $1.99 for a kids drink!!! That is INSANE!!! Almost $9.00 a piece to feed my kids!! I can handle the adult food prices, but I think it is highway robbery to charge that amount for a kids meal!

Now I am thinking that I'd rather not bother...can anyone give me a better and more cost effective alternative in DD? We've done W.Puck's Express in the past and liked it...how about the new Earl of Sandwich? Will I find food for my kids there? (they eat ham, cheese, turkey, etc.)

Thanks so much!

The kids meals are huge. I bet that your two could share one making the cost not so bad.DS 11 could not even finish the pizza one. They also could share with you if you could eat the same think. We like RFC, and don't mind the splurge once in a while. The food really is good and the place is so cool.

Jordan's mom

The children's portions are HUGE and they have no problem letting the children share. They even let adults share if you want to. All the portions are very "shareable". The RF is really a neat experience. It would be a shame if you had to go elsewhere!

Our DS6 and DS7 LOVE the "Rainforest Cafe" at DD. I was just at our local McDonald's today and the price for a Happy Meal was now $3.19. I think the atmosphere at the Cafe is incredible and we already have ressies there for our upcoming trip.

I agree with the other posts, the kids could share a kids meal with no problem.

Have a great trip!

I think it's well worth the money for thre quality and size of the meal. We love Rainforest!! :p

on our first trip to WDW, this was the one place that we ate at and we thought it was very good. our boys loved it.
we do not have a rain forest cafe any where around here, so we thought it was a really cool place.

just share and have a great time.

david

marcy:
I concur with the others; if you have kids, they will love the RFC for the theming and atmosphere. The food is decent and the portions are huge. Even if you decide to just stop by for dessert or a snack to save $$$ it is well worth the time.

By the way, I am pretty sure the RFC in DD does not accept PS so make sure you go early for whatever meal you decide to try. Otherwise, you will wait A LONG TIME in the gift shop area and any money you try to save on the meal will be spent on souvenirs! Have fun :D

The kids meals include an entree and chips or fries and a drink. There is no additional cost unless you order extra sides or drinks. The total is $5.99 but it is a fun place. We go there a lot! Also, you may want to consider joining the Safari Club. It gives you a free appetizer or 10% off your total bill (excluding alcohol) as well as you get your name put on the top of the list when you arrive which means you have hardly any wait at all.

We love the RFC!!! The RFC by us in Chicago has these baby hamburgers that my DD absolutly loves (I can't remember if they have that in DD, its been a couple of years since we have gone to that location and the menu is smaller in DD than in Chicago). Anyway.........I do believe they are expensive, but you are paying for the atmosphere along with the food. When I see my DD's face when she looks at the animals and hears the fake thunderstorm to me it is worth every dollar. You should really go - it's a blast!!:)

marcy and catnick...

Sure hope they accept PS's for Rainforest Cafe because we have them scheduled for May. Just wanted to let you know. They are for the one in DD.

Have a wonderful lunch or dinner!!
::yes::

We love the RFC too! Definitely share, the portions are huge!

We go every trip, and my guys just love it. They're getting older now (12 and 14) so I thought about not going to RFC this time, but the boys were outraged when I even suggested it :eek: so RFC is on the list for June!

I made PS's last May. You just can't make them with Disney Dining, you have to call the RFC directly. But I think Disney Dining gave me the phone number.

We really like it and the food is good. Most of the Disney sit down restaurants charge $9.99 for kids so it really is a pretty good value.

It was our daughter-in-laws birthday and not only did she get free dessert but she got to keep the plate.:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

I think it's good to do once, but I don't think I'll ever spend the money again. It is an interesting atmosphere, but nothing too exciting. Although I can see how it would appeal to small children. We were sitting next a gigantic elephant, and every now and then we'd catch him staring at us. The monkeys are also entertaining when it 'storms.'

With regards to the food, the portions are huge, and the food is average quality in my opinion. I think you're there for the experience, more than the food.

hyzdufan nailed it on the head.

My husband and I are major chocolate lovers, and we kept seeing this "Volcano" dessert being announced as it went flying by us- which in other places outside Disney actually has a sparkler in it- but turned out to look far better than it tasted, but the atmosphere was what made it fun. The food was medium quality, the mashed potatoes were good, very large portions, but no where to keep them if we doggie bagged it- we dont do a fridge in our room. But ya know what, it was fun, Id go again.

If I had kids I wouldnt skip this! Not a quiet place though.

I give it a thumbs up-

heres the thing, I wasnt wowed but any of the food during my 8 day trip my first time there, (just going back for a second try)it wasn't bad per say, but wasnt spectacular either. California Grille was okay, but I was expecting 5 star quality . You are paying for A. You are in Disney World, B. You have a great view, location, atmosphere, characters, etc and C. You are in Disney World.

Go and enjoy, but manage expectations.::MinnieMo

place to eat, especially if you have kids and especially if they are under 10. The food is a bit pricey but you are paying for the atmosphere. The food quality is pretty good and the portions are pretty healthy! I would recommend if for at least one time although we end up going every visit! Also, they usually have some really good sales going on in their gift shop.

Originally posted by coinkc
The kids meals include an entree and chips or fries and a drink. There is no additional cost unless you order extra sides or drinks. The total is $5.99 but it is a fun place. We go there a lot! Also, you may want to consider joining the Safari Club. It gives you a free appetizer or 10% off your total bill (excluding alcohol) as well as you get your name put on the top of the list when you arrive which means you have hardly any wait at all.

Hmmm...is the Allearsnet menu wrong then for kids meals?? They have everything listed separately. If a kids meal is only 5.99 including fries and drink, and it is large enough for my kids to split it, then maybe it is worth it afterall. (I guess it is worth it even if it is 9.99 and they can split it!) Can someone clear up the cost issue for me?

Thanks!

The Rainforest Cafe offers a savings program called the safari club. For a minimal one-time fee($15, I think), you receive a $10 coupon in the mail. I have also received periodic coupons in the mail on my birthday.
Plus there is a discount on merchandise and a discount for each dining experience.

Each trip you can get a 10% discount up to four people or a free appetizer. It is usually the chicken pita quesadillas and they are delicious. Then we share the china chicken salad because the portions are HUGE. We drink ice water with lemon and the dining experience is very inexpensive and we are stuffed.

Check out the website for Safari Club info. It is a great deal.

We also love the RFC, and the Safari Club! The meals are so huge, we have started to split them. When we went in Dec. '03, I ate the chicken quesadilla (free app.) for my meal and still couldn't finish it! My dh could barely finish off the burger and fries. It is ALOT of food! (don't forget to save room for a dessert at Ghiradelli's! :tongue: )

We ate at the RFC at AK.

My DH and 2 DD (7&8) Loved It. I tolerated it. It had nothing to do with prices. I felt it was a very long wait - and we had a PS, for an ok meal during the middle of the day. I will say that our server was fantastic! I would go for the experience of it at least once - especially with kids.

We may even go again, and just try it at a different time.

Good luck and have fun!

Pam

I'm a safari club member because we eat here all the time locally when we go to Camp Snoopy. But I don't think its a value - its expensive even by Disney standards. The food is definately not great - but edible and there is a lot of it (but there are plenty of restaurants at Disney where the food is great and there is a lot of it). I don't think that there is enough on a kids meal to share - my kids have always needed their own (they are 4 and 5). Three mini hot dogs (about 3" each) is not "a lot" of food - and their three mini burgers (about 3" across) is only a lot of food if you count all that bun (my kids will eat part of the bun, then strip off the cheeseburger). We go because the kids enjoy the atmophere and mom gets real food instead of going to the food court.

Watch the extras. RFC will get you on the slurpees in souvienier mugs, the rum drinks in souviener cups, the tshirts and toys as you wait for a table (and you'll wait sometimes even when the restaurant is empty - it encourages your kids to get the "I wants.")

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter