Is this REALLY true??

roymccoy

Efficient Oxygen Exchanger<br><font color="#0080c0
Are they REALLY, for sure stopping the boats that go between DD and Port Orleans/Dixie Landings?
If they are, I know a couple of groups who will cancel their trips. Please let me know if you can confirm this!

Roy :-)

Can't confirm or deny, but just curious...You know a couple of groups who would cancel their entire vacation based on one boat ride?? I really don't want to incite anything, but I just can't imagine the entire success of my WDW vacation hinging on one boat ride? I took this boat ride several years ago and unless they have added more features to it, I just don't recall it being "all that"? What am I missing about this?

No, they won't be cancelling because of "one less boat ride", it would be more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" thing. First, they heard about PO/FQ closing (their favorite hotel) then there was no more early entry days, then shorter hours, then Carousel of Progress closing, (favorite ride) and now, no more boats taking them to DD. (They went every night of their stay to a different restaurant in DD). Taking a bus to DD just isn't the same. I think that the reason they will cancel is that they don't want to pay top dollar (Disney hasn't taken a dollar off their trips) for a Disney World experience that will be below par for the next year or two. I don't think we want "WDW-Lite" ! We'll be back, but not until Disney returns to more of a "normal" schedule.

According to the other thread, there were all of 46 people staying at the French Quarter on its last day and only slightly more at PO Riverside.

I understand that its the straw that broke the camel's back, but keeping those boats open for what amounts to maybe 100 Guests isn't what I'd call smart.

Spending $10,000.00+ dollars on a "Disney-lite" trip isn't smart either....works both ways. It may not be economically feasible for Disney to be running everything right now, so I'll just wait until it is. Me and my money can wait.

Perhaps you and your friends could consider staying at OKW. The boat ride from OKW to DD will continue (it's paid for by DVC member dues, not Disney). Of course there is bus service, too. It is also possible to walk to DD (but I don't believe it is lit the entire way). Here's a link to the path description that includes photos:

http://www.disboards.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39529

Accomodations at OKW may be more expensive than those at FQ, but there have been some very good discounts here lately, and you could also explore renting points from a DVC member. The studio rooms are much larger than those at any of the moderates and include a kitchenette. If your party reserves a 1 or 2 bedroom unit, you will have a VERY large kitchen and living room area. This could be an economical choice if you don't mind staying together. The 2 bedrooms accomodate 8 (6 if you want each couple to have "private" sleeping space.

If the weekday crowds are as reported, you won't even notice that EE or E-nights are gone. You'll be able to do lots more than you now imagine during the scheduled hours, even if they are shorter. Not much anyone can do about CoP - it appears to be permanently closed. Don't think it got much traffic in the last few years.

Best wishes
Carol

Hold the phone, YoHo! If I read your post correctly there are only about 50 people staying at POFQ (which makes sense, they've been slowly closing buildings for weeks.) BUT, are you telling me that there are only about 50 folks at Riverside right now!?!? That's nuts if it's true. Where did you hear this???

BUT, are you telling me that there are only about 50 folks at Riverside right now!?!? That's nuts if it's true.

I was thinking the same thing! Now, FQ makes sense - the only people left would be those checking out on it's last morning (wonder if anyone went just for the "last night"?). But, if Riverside is so deserted, WDW is in far more trouble than anyone realizes. However, I don't think that's accurate either - in fact, my only criticism of recent WDW cutbacks has been they went too far, too fast to be justified by the current downturn in business. I'm not yet convinced things are as bad as some people make them out to be.

Also, there have been an awful lot of people over on the Resorts board talking about where they were being bumped to from French Quarter. If so few are actually in the while PO complex, why are so many persons' on the DIS affected by this closure? Only a tiny percentage (growing, I'm certain) of Port Orleans guests are likely found on these boards, which (by DIS's unscientific sampling) suggests quite a few people were booked at FQ for the coming months.

In the other thrad, by Tinkerbelle Rules

Well, DH came back with more information from a CM at the front desk of POFQ. She had been there many years and stated the employees only recently found out about the closures. She said out of all the rooms at POFQ only 48 were occupied, POR wasn't much better. She stated that “we” knew before they did about the closing. She also stated all access to POFQ will be denied. There will be bars put in the water so that boats cannot get through. There will be fences/bars to block access from POR. All rooms are being emptied of beds, tvs, etc. are being removed. The food court is being emptied of cooking equipment and more. She stated she didn't think POFQ would ever open again, at least not the way we knew it. She said that closure fits the scenario of when Shades of Green was created (don’t know the previous resort name). She said she expected POR to follow (which is what the boat driver had told DH a few days prior) and basically be turned into the same type of place like Shades.

DH felt POFQ was busier than POR from just walking through. Course, maybe everyone was at the parks.

I apologize. I inferred less people at Riverside from these quote (read the post at work. Wrote to this one at home) Still the implication is staggering.

I've always found that the one group of CMs that:

1. Have the information concerning occupancy % and,
2. Are willing to tell guests for some reason

are the ladies working the cash registers at the food courts.

During recent trips, I've asked them each time and they tell me. Wonder if anyone staying at Riverside soon might be able to dig out the same information?

Our DU travel agent, Diana, wonderful person she is, called WDW Transportation and got confirmation that the boat ride would be closing on November 4th. Boats are being drained of gas and put in storage. No plans for starting this form of transportation up in the near future. Yes, it is official.

I was at Riverside from 10/19-24 and it was absolutely packed. I tried mightily to get into a closer building, but the best I could do was building 35. It was busier during this trip than it was during my trip in May, by far.

It seemed that at least 25% of the people on the standing room only buses I took were staying at FQ. I don't think occupancy is as low as we are being led to believe.

YoHo, there is some really, really disturbing information in that post that you quoted. That's a much worse scenario than I had imagined. I assumed that POFQ would be closing until a resurgance in travel. That paints a completely different picture with the removal of all of those things listed.

What strikes me as odd is that just one year ago POFQ was sold out around the calendar. Clearly (if this stuff is true) WDW doesn't see that happening for a long, long time. Carting off 1,000 beds, TVs, Dressers, etc. Removing kitchen equipment. These are not signs of a resort closing for 6-12 months. This is a whole different ball of wax.

I asked our travel agent about this. She said she didn't know but said it might be that it is time to refurbish PO-FQ, anyways. They have quarterly (or something like that) auctions at WDW where they get rid of stuff they don't need anymore. She said it is possible that they are going to do a complete refurbishment of the resort since it is being closed. However, she said there are so many rumors flying around that you never know.

When we were there in Dec. I could tell that the rooms were in need of some maintenance. Disney usually does this about once every ten years so the PO-FQ would be at the right time for this...who knows...we will have to wait and see.

This posted on Resorts Board today.

Crowds- Just back
We just returned from the 10 fun filled days at the world. The crowds were a little lighter than usual for this time of year. The parks were never "empty" and the average wait time at the rides was 20 minutes or less. Our buses were always full. We stayed 1/2 of the time at POFQ and it seemed busy to us. The food court was crowded and the pool was very crowded. The 2nd half we spent at the Poly which seemed less crowded. Each time we took the boat from POFQ to DD it was full. Also, I noticed that since the parks are closing so early, DD is VERY crowded in the evening. All in all, even with the cutbacks, we still had a GREAT time.

I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

Maybe they were looking for an excuse.

For what it's worth, and I have no facts to back up my gut feelings...but this June while we were staying at Riverside like usual, my Dad and I were joking with our CM friends asking when they were going to close, sell off, or turn the FQ into a DVC property. No, they didn't know anything. But we felt that the name changes, closing of Bonfamille's and emptying the marina were actions used to make FQ seem like not such a good place to stay anymore. The same way they mucked up operating hours of certain attractions, and then announced those things were being closed because the ride counts had dropped. And I think 9/11 just gave Disney the excuse to close it NOW instead of in 3 years.

Just a gut feeling I have that the margin from running the 1000 room FQ even with a 95% occupancy rate, is lower than the margins at the 2000 room CS, Riverside and CB resorts.

She also stated all access to POFQ will be denied. There will be bars put in the water so that boats cannot get through. There will be fences/bars to block access from POR. All rooms are being emptied of beds, tvs, etc. are being removed. The food court is being emptied of cooking equipment and more. She stated she didn't think POFQ would ever open again, at least not the way we knew it. She said that closure fits the scenario of when Shades of Green was created (don?t know the previous resort name). She said she expected POR to follow (which is what the boat driver had told DH a few days prior) and basically be turned into the same type of place like Shades.

Apparently boat transportation to DD has to stop, financially driven or otherwise.

Emptying the PO-FQ rooms suggest several ominious signs - all of them bad. I just don't understand this. EE, park hours, and ride closures can largely be undone on short notice, but it would take weeks or months to re-open FQ. So, if attendance picks up sooner than expected FQ will still be closed, and it's potential revenue lost even during peak seasons. An article in this mornings paper indicated economic recovery might be expected to come as early as January 2002, but no later than next summer (according to predictions). French Quarter's closure can now be confirmed as long-term; probably the two years rumored (if it ever reopens). I didn't believe the closure would be very long before now.

But, why go to such great lengths to block access? If this is a resort refurbishment or permanant closure I can understand it. However, if French Quarter (and Riverside???) is never to reopen in current form, what would it become?

Finally, the permanant loss of FQ would be a bit short-sighted. The economy is always cyclical - and the Sept. 11th effect on travel temporary - and eventually (as during the Millenium Celebration) Disney will again be booked solid - Port Orleans French Quarter will be needed then (I basically agree WDW has overbuilt resorts, but the theme parks can "catch-up" to resort capacity given time).

According to the travel agent and from a business perspective they almost have to restrict access. If for some reason they did not do this and a guest who was just exploring got hurt the liability would be tremendous. On the other hand if you block access, post signs and do everything in your power to protect the public's safety...then responsibility shifts to the individual. This, as far as I can tell, would need to happen whether they were going to open it in 6 months or two years.

And, yes, I can see where the profit margin for running the PO-FQ would be less than the other resorts. You would need about the same staff as the other resorts with only 1/2 the rooms. But, I think it would be short sighted to close both FQ and Riverside. The number of trips we take would definitely drop. While we probably would save longer and stay at a deluxe I would not be as excited to come and thus my budget probably wouldn't be as big. But, who knows. Things are changing so fast at DW right now...the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Oh well....nothing ever stays the same. I know we will miss the PO-FQ. We just loved the theme and alligators.

If the resort is due for a rehab, wouldn't they just close each building down one at a time like they did with the Poly?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter