Is Universal Studios worth it with young kids?

abookworm

Mouseketeer
We are going to CA in December. We are going to DL 1 day, DCA 1 day, Legoland 1 day, and have 1 day left to try something new. DH wants to do Universal Studios but I think with a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old that is scared of thrill/scary rides it wouldn't be worth going just for my 9 yr old son and DH.
Thoughts?

We've been to the zoo and sea world before though I think Sea World would be more fun for the younger 2 this time.

We've been to San Diego a few times so we've done all big tourist things there with Old Town, Balboa Park, Lo Jolla, etc.

Just trying to figure out that last day-which would be a Sunday by the way.
thanks

Universal Studios doesn't have much to offer younger kids. Most of the attarctions would scare the younger kids, and they might even scare your DH and older son :rotfl: I would say wait until your kids are a little older and braver to try out Universal.

Here is a link to the attractions/shows that are at Universal Hollywood if you would like to see them
http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/attr_all.html

USH is not the best choice for a 3 and 5 year old. There's maybe a half day of things suitable for them.

Woody

We did Universal last month with our 10,8,5,1 y.o. children. It was a waste of time and money.(At least we had 2 for 1 tickets.)Our 5 year old wasn't tall enough for the rides. We were able to do the studio tour but the younger kids didn't get a ton out of that either. I would wait until they are ten or older to do universal.

WE took Ds at the time he was 2 to the Universal studios hollywood. What a major waste of time and money. We recently tried the Universal in Orlando, Ds was 7 and he had a blast and loved it...so much we will be visiting again in Sept. I say wait till they are older.

I have to agree with everyone here, we wasted our money. we went with children all 6 and under, I think height requirements for all the rides except Back2theFuture (which will be no more soon) is around 48". But if you already got your tix, then I think one day MIGHT be okay though for a few shows, the tram ride, seeing Dora and Shrek, and this water section, and if you have someone willing to watch the kids so the big people can ride the rides... It may be worth one day there. There is a great Shrek show in 3D there too.
Hope this helps.
One thing though, we did Universal after Disneyland, which was a bit depressing, we thought throughout the whole park, shouldve just did Disneyland one more day!

I'd have to agree with most of the other posters in saying that Universal Studios Hollywood isn't for younger kids (below 10). Besides the Nickelodeon Blast Center, there really isn't much for them to do.

My 12 year old is fascinated with movies & how they are made so he considers Universal his favorite theme park (MM a close second).

It just depends on the kid in question I guess. I personally think they'd have a better time at one of the other theme parks though.

If you don't go to Disneyland often you may wish you had two days at DL. We're going to check out Magic Mountain and Knott's Berry Farm in September to see if they're good options for a mixed group (big family trip with kids 1-15 years [my kids like serious coasters]). :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter