Island Tower at Polynesian Villas & Bungalows

There’s still the feeling of a curveball around the corner though. The series of DVC changes in recent years… if they are going the extra mile here… would they really pass on an opportunity to have some future advantage. Is it really just going to be like BPK getting added to VGF? If it can’t apply the same restrictions as Riviera, what could be done. Are we 100% certain a trust can’t happen?

I can’t break from expecting a curveball. Hope I’m wrong!
I tend to agree something could be in the works but most people don't appear to think the same. Disney will always benefit Disney. You'd be sure they'd have had discussions about how they could feasibly add restrictions. I am just waiting to see if they play a new card too.

Last edited:
There's definitely similarities to higher end JW Marriott's and newer Westin's I've stayed at. This isn't a surprise as the project has the same architectural firms ("WDI Partners" like WATG, Gensler, etc) that build those hotels building it. But they do what they're told.

I don't think it's bad, but I also don't think it's particularly impressive for such a prime location. It's a rehash of already used design elements like the clean look, large columns and wood paneling we've seen mixed in at Gran Destino, Riviera, Discovery Tower, the Cabins and even the upcoming Lookout Cay.

The problem with trendy designs is they get dated pretty quickly. Just look at the lobby at Bay Lake Tower and unlike a JW Marriott or Westin, Disney isn't going to dramatically update a hotel lobby in 15 years.

WDI is capable of so much more. Just look at the Fantasy Springs hotel, which has a modern flair but tons of impressive thematic elements.

We have come a long way from the golden age of Walt Disney World theming. Bare minimum is acceptable now, whether it's in attractions, experiences or resorts, and that's kind of sad.
If Disney took some people to the moon they would complain that man has already been there and that they are disappointed to not be on Venus or Mars….

A better argument would be along the lines of the Oceania/polynesian wing of Explorer's Lodge in Hong Kong. I've been at HKDL all this week starting at it. Explorer's Lodge demonstates a richly themed tower is achievable.

To be fair, a lot of the backstage of Tokyo Disneyland is visible due to the uniqueness of the monorail being a part of transit system. What's in the berm is heavily themed even if they slightly under-themed the more affordable tower exterior.

Nothing is going to compare to Hotel Miracosta, whose history goes all the way back to the Westcot project.

Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 4.32.58 AM.png

Explorer's Lodge is a great example though. Aulani is nothing but towers and even Animal Kingdom Lodge, so it's not like there aren't other examples of modern towers that are heavily themed.

Ultimately, I don't think Island Tower is bad. People are going to love it, but I just think they could have done better given the proper budget and support.

Some of the legacy Imagineers are commenting on this subject.

Regarding Island Tower's theming,

I tend to agree something could be in the works but most people don't appear to think the same. Disney will always benefit Disney. You'd be sure they'd have had discussions about how they could feasibly add restrictions. I am just waiting to see if they play a new card too.

Their card is likely going to be the point chart for the larger units.

I hope this posts with the quality of the original (from Scott Gustin’s twitter) and not to overthink this (I’m obviously going to overthink this) but just wanted zoom in on a few things, namely the holes which look more and more like they’ll be lounge/fireworks viewing points. There’s also a colorful structure/window/lighting in the lobby or restaurant area- Interesting thing to include in an updated concept rendering…best guesses? Also do we think the fact that the upper 2 floors have clear bannisters versus the lower levels that have covered ones means anything in respect to room type/point charts?
View attachment 858465
Bet the glass balconies are the penthouse 2BR.

The Poly tower shouldn’t effect pool crowds at the VGF at all unless DVC suddenly reinstates pool hopping since folks staying at the Poly can’t swim in the GF pools anyway. Now the Poly pools may become more crowded & the monorail certainly will & that’ll impact GF guests. Likewise, the Poly & the GF share buses, w/ the GF being picked up 2nd, so I expect the AK & DHS buses to be more crowded by the time they reach the GF.
Well, realistically it's not hard to pool -hop, but I just don't think these guests will find the GFV pool an attractive option.

The rest I don't disagree with, either. Though the bus problem is easy to fix in theory.

How does the timing work for selling points? If they start selling after the window for cash sales closes, will points be available to book immediately at the existing rooms despite the tower not being open? Do they sell current UY points.

If UY is April and sales starts July, then do you purchase current UY points?

Since we now have more details about the Island Tower at PVB, let’s start a new thread about it, including sales starting, pricing, room info and more!

One thing that is surprising to me is no GV. While I had already decided to not buy, this missing piece helps me to confirm it’s not a good fit over VGf for an MK area home resort!
Question, do the one bedrooms only have a small fridge and microwave. Looking at the pictures plus Disney room description it looks to be that way.

I haven’t seen the room descriptions for the new tower rooms. The 1 bdr I see is in the club level longhouse.

Bet the glass balconies are the penthouse 2BR.
Yeah it very well might be. I thought the penthouses might be the 2 rooms at the top middle section of the building, mostly because they seem to be set up differently from the rest of the rooms. Those never looked like GVs to me, the window configuration never made sense but I just assumed I was dumb and didn’t know how windows worked. But maybe that’s actually a restaurant or lounge we’ve all been hoping for?

There's been some mummers about the new Poly Tower having a club level. I wonder if that will be part of what makes the 2BR penthouses special?

I haven’t seen the room descriptions for the new tower rooms. The 1 bdr I see is in the club level longhouse.
One bedroom pic. Not that my wife and I do a ton of cooking while on holiday, but we like having the option. Make a nice breakfast or an inexpensive pasta, garlic bread, etc. option for dinner. Not seeing a cook top or oven. Kinda goes against the time share DVC home vibe and one of the reasons we bought in to DVC.

But no worries. We can continue to stay at the other properties if that’s the case.

Attachments

• IMG_0180.jpeg
    IMG_0180.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 107
One bedroom pic. Not that my wife and I do a ton of cooking while on holiday, but we like having the option. Make a nice breakfast or an inexpensive pasta, garlic bread, etc. option for dinner. Not seeing a cook top or oven. Kinda goes against the time share DVC home vibe and one of the reasons we bought in to DVC.

But no worries. We can continue to stay at the other properties if that’s the case.
Those are current existing rooms, not part of the tower. It’s not even part of DVC actually, just the hotel-side. PVB doesn’t have club level (yet). I don’t believe they’ve released any information or photos of room renderings yet.

That’s the club level 1 bedroom on the hotel side of Poly. No info about the DVC rooms yet, but one would think it would be the same kitchen as all the other DVC units.

So no real information yet?

What makes you believe that they are the same association?
Although not completely affirmed, that is indicated by Disney's announcement of the name of the resort: the "Island Tower at the Polynesian Villas and Bungalows." The Polynesian Villas and Bungalows is the name of the existing DVC portion of the resort. The overall resort that includes the hotel portion is named the Polynesian Village Resort. In essence, DVD appears to be specifically identifying it as part of the existing DVC Resort and not just a new addition to the overall Poly resort. Previous announcements were not so specific, e.g., when originally announced that it would be built, the new Poly was identified as an addition to the Polynesian resort in general and not specifically to the DVC portion of the resort.

Last edited:
There's been some mummers about the new Poly Tower having a club level. I wonder if that will be part of what makes the 2BR penthouses special?
With the announcement of the Penthouse 2BR category, and the art making the top 2 floors look a little different on the 8-floor parts of the tower, as well as the central 9th & 10th floor, my wild speculation (didn't we have a thread for that?) is that the "PH" level rooms will integrate both the high-floor TPV premium with some sort of Club Level offerings.

Yeah it very well might be. I thought the penthouses might be the 2 rooms at the top middle section of the building, mostly because they seem to be set up differently from the rest of the rooms. Those never looked like GVs to me, the window configuration never made sense but I just assumed I was dumb and didn’t know how windows worked. But maybe that’s actually a restaurant or lounge we’ve all been hoping for?
I’m with you. The safest guess is the top 2 floors in the middle of the tower are the penthouse 2 bedrooms villas. I originally thought they’d be GVs, but we were proven wrong with yesterday’s announcement. These 2bdr would be even more desirable for guests if they had club level access! While not for me, people who book it would love it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter