Island Tower at Polynesian Villas & Bungalows

A little off topic but, does anyone think this will force Disney to sweeten the pot as far as CFW and resale restrictions. Pretty sure they won't much of a problem selling the Tower, but IMO it is time to think about doing away with resale restrictions.

No. If they wanted to move away from restrictions, they would not have added them to CFW RTU plan.

I still can’t believe they didn’t do it with the tower because IMO, it really does make the message that direct is the only way to avoid them useless.

But, they obviously decided that selling without them…assuming no curveballs happen….made better sense.

No. If they wanted to move away from restrictions, they would not have added them to CFW RTU plan.

I still can’t believe they didn’t do it with the tower because IMO, it really does make the message that direct is the only way to avoid them useless.

But, they obviously decided that selling without them…assuming no curveballs happen….made better sense.

I think the majority of people buying (new 1st time buyers) don’t have any idea what the resale restrictions are or mean. They aren’t the crowd that is buying/selling resale contacts.

I hate the restrictions because I really want to stay at RIV and I can’t lol.

If poly tower is included in old association no way would I buy that direct ever. Give me Reflections or an amazing deal with an extended end date.

Technically, while I don’t think it will happen, they can keep it part of PVB and create a new vacation plan that might allow differences.

So, while I agree we are at 99% no restrictions, they still could pull a fast one on people…but, I think if that was a the case, they’d have just made it new, and not try to confuse things even further.
They’d have a legal battle ahead of them if they did this. Resale people who bought since the spring magazine came out (or even since the annual condo association meeting) could absolutely sue for false advertisement and purposeful misrepresentation. You could even make the argument for people who sold their PVB contracts and people who bought elsewhere because they didn’t want to buy into PVB with the tower. Once those words were put in print, they were tied to it even if it wasn’t a legal doc. But sure, I guess they could still pull a fast one if they don’t care about fighting some legal battles on the side.

They’d have a legal battle ahead of them if they did this. Resale people who bought since the spring magazine came out (or even since the annual condo association meeting) could absolutely sue for false advertisement and purposeful misrepresentation. You could even make the argument for people who sold their PVB contracts and people who bought elsewhere because they didn’t want to buy into PVB with the tower. Once those words were put in print, they were tied to it even if it wasn’t a legal doc. But sure, I guess they could still pull a fast one if they don’t care about fighting some legal battles on the side.
I am referring to the legal POS that states it can be a different vacation plan, and still be part of PVB.

As I said, I don’t see it, because I do think that people would complain and even try, and it makes little sense to confuse, but the PVB POS…and most likely all of the resorts..appear to have given them the legal right that could allow it to happen…which isn’t something I knew until this project came about.

I would expect that we will see updated documents in the next two months though that gives us all the specifics.

Last edited:
I am referring to the legal POS that states it can be a different vacation plan, and still be part of PVB.

As I said, I don’t see it, because I do think that people would complain and even try, and it makes little sense to confuse, but the PVB POS…and most likely all of the resorts..appear to have given them the legal right that could allow it to happen…which isn’t something I knew until this project came about.

I would expect that we will see updated documents in the next two months though that gives us all the specifics.
I think it sells a million times better direct if it different and has an extended contact. Otherwise, those of us who visit DIS boards and buy resale are buying it resale or any other resort that is cheap to stay there. Why not load up on OKW at $60-$80 pp and snag at 7 months or through waitlist. I just booked PVB today for July.

There is no incentive to buy direct at $200+ and I think sells out completely and instantly if it’s new and has a separate 11 month booking group. If it’s grouped with currently association, it will still sell out but I’ll buy at a discount resale especially when people who bought direct are trying to get out of their payments and dues.

I think it sells a million times better direct if it different and has an extended contact. Otherwise, those of us who visit DIS boards and buy resale are buying it resale or any other resort that is cheap to stay there. Why not load up on OKW at $60-$80 pp and snag at 7 months or through waitlist. I just booked PVB today for July.

There is no incentive to buy direct at $200+ and I think sells out completely and instantly if it’s new and has a separate 11 month booking group. If it’s grouped with currently association, it will still sell out but I’ll buy at a discount resale especially when people who bought direct are trying to get out of their payments and dues.

That was my opinion as well and why I am still shocked they have gone the other way and made it PVB. But, with the official announcements yesterday, and in the Disney files, we no it’s going into the same association, so DVD must feel is till sell just as well being one association at that location vs. two.

The addition of all the 1 and 2 bedroom units will likely make it harder to grab a studio at 7 months. I don’t know if it will make it hard, but it has to maker it at least somewhat harder, that’s just math.

I think this probably was conceived of as a phase 2, and was probably slated for 2021 or so pre-pandemic (actually none of that is really speculation, go check out the old threads on WDWMagic and even in the rumors forum here). In 2021, existing association would have been a slam dunk. Poly had only sold out about 2 years prior.

I’m sure there was internal debate, but ultimately, they stuck with the plan. And frankly I don’t think it will have a meaningful impact on sales at all. Didn’t we just watch this movie with VGF?

Not necessarily. If it was a different association, it would have killed add-ons from original direct owners of PVB like us.

The addition of all the 1 and 2 bedroom units will likely make it harder to grab a studio at 7 months. I don’t know if it will make it hard, but it has to maker it at least somewhat harder, that’s just math.

I think this probably was conceived of as a phase 2, and was probably slated for 2021 or so pre-pandemic (actually none of that is really speculation, go check out the old threads on WDWMagic and even in the rumors forum here). In 2021, existing association would have been a slam dunk. Poly had only sold out about 2 years prior.

I’m sure there was internal debate, but ultimately, they stuck with the plan. And frankly I don’t think it will have a meaningful impact on sales at all. Didn’t we just watch this movie with VGF?
Agreed. I think if it is merely an extension nothing special happening besides people buying for bragging right or FOMO…which will have more contracts on resale shortly thereafter IMO. I sold my POLY resale contract at the beginning of the year for a really nice profit because of this.
Why not do that either way? (same assoc, or not)
I would think new association would have the restrictions like the others and us resale folks wouldn’t be able to stay there. I think the more they move in the direction of restrictions the more they’ll get direct sales. Nobody wants a resale contract that can only be used at 1 place. I think in 2042 we see the biggest driver of direct sales since there won’t be many places to stay on a resale contract.

I used to believe in the added years but post 2042 I think inventory for us restricted contract folks will be way more competitive. But who knows. I’m already having RIV FOMO. Buy where you want stay as everyone says.

Not necessarily. If it was a different association, it would have killed add-ons from original direct owners of PVB like us.
I think this is true from that group of buyers. I wonder where they make the most money. New Non-DVC vs “special discounts” for those of us with contracts. I wonder how much they’ll pull from people with DVC already. But again, why wouldn’t you just add on via resale if you already have all the perks?

Would create unnecessary confusion too. I know my guide was excited when they announced it at the meeting in December. He has a entire base of customers to potentially call on for add-ons.

But again, why wouldn’t you just add on via resale if you already have all the perks?

We're the elite, in-the-know, DVC owners. Most DVC members add-on direct.

I would think new association would have the restrictions like the others and us resale folks wouldn’t be able to stay there. I think the more they move in the direction of restrictions the more they’ll get direct sales. Nobody wants a resale contract that can only be used at 1 place. I think in 2042 we see the biggest driver of direct sales since there won’t be many places to stay on a resale contract.
Ah, yea that makes sense.

We own a small direct 50 point contract due to Riviera being our favorite resort and FOMO. The bulk of our points are otherwise resale. Gives us access to RIV and any other restricted resorts. Happy medium.

If Island Tower was going to be a separate association, we were leaning heavily toward a direct contract there. Since that’s not the case, we will prob pick up more SAP for the 7 month window.

We own a small direct 50 point contract due to Riviera being our favorite resort and FOMO. The bulk of our points are otherwise resale. Gives us access to RIV and any other restricted resorts. Happy medium.

If Island Tower was going to be a separate association, we were leaning heavily toward a direct contract there. Since that’s not the case, we will prob pick up more SAP for the 7 month window.
If it was separate I would have sold all my resale contracts to buy direct. Now I don’t care.

I decided a long time ago that if I get RIV FOMO I’ll take a few thousand of the $25,000 I saved buying resale to stay for a week on cash. 😎
This is why I find the men in suits at DVD to be so baffling. Because what you’re saying makes a lot of sense, and it goes directly against their own long- term sales plan to attract direct buyers.

I own at RIV and love it but I won’t lie that the idea of missing out on the next and newest projects was a persuasive sales tactic on why we decided to buy originally. They’ve undermined their own business plan to get more direct sales by not restricting the tower. Your method to deal with FOMO works when there’s only 1 or 2 resorts you’d have to pay cash for but when it becomes the poly tower and RIV and VDH and CFW, etc… well, It’s an easier pill to swallow cause in the end, this is their sales plan going forward and we just have to accept it like members have done for all the other changes over the years.

But this just muddied things up for me. Unless they really incentivize the tower there’s little reason to buy direct, just wait a few months until resale prices come back down to earth and get your points for way less. Idk I’m not even mad anymore (I won’t even lie, I definitely was…unhappy a few months ago lol) it’s just weird to me. Why extend the efficacy of your sales plans to another decade until another new resort or two finally gets opened?

Anyway sorry, sorry I keep bringing up an old debate, I won’t keep going on about it- it is what it is and I’m excited to have my resale PVB to use at the tower, just a bizarre decision my mind 🤷🏼‍♀️

it is what it is and I’m excited to have my resale PVB to use at the tower, just a bizarre decision my mind
Not trying to keep that debate going either, but I bet the decision was made on much bigger things, like legal issues, or just plain old hassles, stuff that doesn't affect us too much, but affects them a lot.
They can't want to kill resale, I mean it is what makes DVC different than timeshares. I have friends that love to go to Disney, but I can't get them to wrap their head around buying a "timeshare" even though I've already bought and sold a contract, they are still skeptical.

To me it’s no different then buying GFV last year except you get a year longer with this buy. I didn’t agree with it then but since they did it once then why not do it again. Either way we’ll finally buy a small direct contract here unless the incentives are amazing so we have access once every three years. And should I ever need to resale then I get to resale unrestricted dead which for the time being seems to be worth a bit then those restricted resale ones. Then we will hold up and hope/pray for a fire sale in the summer of ‘26!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter