It doesn't cost that much more to go to DLRP!!

Mrs Hobbes

DIS Veteran
I can't believe that I am actually here writing a trip report for our vacation to Disneyland Paris. It all happened very suddenly and we are leaving in just 16 days! I'm very excited

:dance3:

When
Friday 27th June - Sunday 29th June 2014

The Who’s who

So this is going to be an adult only trip - our first ever adult only trip to Disney! I promise I’m not an awful mum as luck would have it this fell on the same weekend that my DD and DSD had plans to go with grandparents to London to see Harry Potter so they didn't mind a bit!

Me & DH - we are huge Disney fans and proud owners of DVC we usually go to WDW about every 18months or so and because of this we haven't been to DLRP many times. In fact we’ve only been once and that was back in 2005 when DD was just 3 and we only visited the main park. So we are very excited to be going back and being able to visit Studios as well.
10cf942d-e0a6-4dc9-b3f5-8f2018933736_zps575f0347.jpg

Our friends - who are huge Disney fans as well (thats why we love them lol!) but unlike us are annual pass holds for DLRP and go multiple times a year (lucky things). They only live round the corner from us and we got to know them at the beginning of last year and quickly became really good friends. Having a mutual love of Disney will do that for you. It was only a matter of time that we all decided to go to Disney together.
f6023e00-b74a-41d5-ac6f-0b41c72a15e4_zps46c799a5.jpg

How it came about

Saturday 28th is my friends birthday and we were talking about what we should do for the weekend. We joked about going to Disney but it was short notice and with no offer on we thought too expensive as well. Besides they’d literally only just got back from a weeks trip over to Paris in May.

We considered going to London to see the Lion King, something we’d all very much like to do but once we started to price that up the costs began to mount. It was going to be around £80 each for theatre tickets, then hotel rooms were around £80/ £90 per night so we were up to around £240 per couple for a night away in London before we knew it and that was staying just one night.

It was a lot for one night away and we decided to think about it before booking anything. Then a couple of days later my Facebook message box popped up with

“It doesn't cost that much more to go to DLRP!!!!”:cheer2:

My amazing friend had put in the research and found out that she could get us a weekend away in Disneyland for around the same price as a night in London to see Lion King!! Well we all knew what we would rather spend our money on it wasn't a difficult decision.

It would mean a few sacrifices and not staying in absolute luxury but we all agreed we’d be in our happy place and we didn't mind a bit.

How could we do it on a shoe string?

Fuel - luckily we have an economical diesel car which can get us there on about £40 each way.

Tunnel Crossing - our lovely friend used club card vouchers to pay for this.

Tickets - current offer for Dreams Passholders to bring guests for 21euros a day. So just 84 euros (approx £68) in total for our park tickets.

Magic Circus - to keep costs down we decided to split the room and share. DH and I get to sleep in the circus tent! It also includes the buffet breakfast which should keep us going until our evening meal with just a midday snack. I’m quite excited it will be like camping lol! Our share of the room came to £74.

So total cost would be around £200 for travel and accommodation! It was too good to turn down!

The Original Plan

Annoyingly my DH was working an evening shift on the Friday night which meant that we couldn't leave until 10pm. So the original plan was to drive down at 1am on Saturday morning to get the first Channel Tunnel Crossing which would get us to Disney late morning. We would then park up, leave bags in the car spend the day in the park. Head to the hotel for check in late afternoon and then back into the park for a meal and to see Dreams. Then we would have most of the day in the park on the Sunday before leaving late afternoon to catch the last tunnel crossing home.

Yes we would probably feel like zombies but we’d be in Disney so it didn't matter.

DH was going to try and get the night off and if he could we would stay the night in Folkestone on the Friday to make us less zombie-like but we would just have to wait and see. It would be a long shot trying to get a friday night shift off in the summer!

Thats when the magic started happening

So some how DH managed to convince someone to cover his shift and he got the night off. My friend had the day off already so if we could all be off then we could travel down to Folkestone during the day, have a nice evening meal and go to bed reasonably early for our early start on the Saturday.

I managed to get the day off work and then so did my friends DH as well. We were all off and that meant a leisurely afternoon drive down to Folkestone on the Friday.

But wait…

if we are all off on Friday and now planning to pay £50 a night to stay in the Holiday Express then why don't we travel to Paris on the Friday instead and get to Disney early!!

So we called to change the tunnel crossing and for just £7 we were able to change to the 13.20 crossing!

Friday night at the Magic Circus was cheaper at £96 and we all knew we’d rather be there than in the Holiday Express in Folkestone!

It would give us the evening in the Disney Village and then a full Saturday in the Parks instead of half a day.

All this for just £250 the price of spending one night in London and seeing the Lion King Show would give us 2 nights in Disney and 2 days in the park.

So its happening -in the blink of an eye we’re booked and going in just 16 days!

:cool1:

Super bargain trip Mrs Hobbes - yay. :cheer2:

We leave the day you arrive so we'll try to leave it nice and tidy for you. ;-)

Happy planning!

Thank you to everyone who is following along - this is the first trip report I’ve ever written for any Disney holiday s I hope I can keep you all entertained :goodvibes:

The plans so far…

Friday

We’re heading off as early as possible hopefully around 8.30am once the children are all packed off to school for the day. Grandmas have been roped in for after school collection duty.

We’re gong to take a leisurely drive down with a stop on route at Tesco’s for breakfast and to buy lunch stuff to eat on the way. By on the way we mean whilst standing in the carriage of the Eurotunnel Shuttle as DH doesn't like people eating in the car!

noeatinginthiscarnew_zps49b3bd34.jpg

We’re catching the 13.20 shuttle which will have us in Calais by 3pm (local time) and on route to Disneyland!

It’s about a 3 hour drive so traffic permitting we should be arriving at the Magic Circus hotel around 6pm. At which point we’ll quickly get checked in and freshened up and then off to the Village to eat at Annette’s Dinner where I might try and tackle one of these!

cimg2910_zps8c2e95ba.jpg

Followed by a little light Disney shopping before we call it a night!

Saturday

It’s my friends birthday so that will definitely be a main feature of the day!

We’ll start the day off with our inclusive breakfast buffet at the Magic Circus which will set us up for hitting the parks for opening and making a full day of it.

Likelihood is that we’ll visit the main Disneyland Park first as we all know there is nothing like that first glimpse of the castle at the end of Main Street! Then we’ll have to pop into City Hall to pick up a birthday sticker so that everyone knows what we’re celebrating!

We don't have lots of plans and we’ll let our more experienced friends be our guides but we plan on catching the parade, eating at the Plaza Garden restaurant at 8.30pm and staying to watch Dreams! Its going to be great!

Our friends’ DH has the Dreams Annual pass so we have to make sure that he has a chance to do the preview for Ratatouille: The Adventure so he can tell us all what its like!

Sunday

Will be more of the same, a buffet breakfast start followed by time in the parks from open until we finally have to call it a day.

We’ll load our bags into the car after breakfast and drive to the parks first thing so that we have the car parked close at hand; meaning that we can stay as long as possible in the magic. We’ll have until about 6ish before we have to start the 3hour drive to Calais. We’re catching the last shuttle back at 10.20 so we need to be there to check in by 9.45pm.

What a great plan! I love the idea of a budget trip, but have never managed it yet....
happy planning!

Thanks for following along everyone - I haven't forgotten you all! We had an amazing time (despite the rain) and I have photos and information to share but I came back to a very busy week time at work and Im working overtime. i plan to complete my trip report next week and I will tell you more about the burger!!!

Watch this space :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter