It has been decided!

toonaspie

Just a poser
After many failed attempts to go back to Disney World over the years, I've decided come hell or high water, I'm going to go back...even if I gotta do it all solo!

And I've chosen what's been one of my dream times to go: Birthday/Halloween day (my actual birthday is Oct 30th) of 2018!

Originally I was thinking of going this year but I've already done a trip to Universal just last month and I think the additional time will allow me to plan and save up the money. My family will think I'm nuts doing this solo. They think I lack a social life and they're already concerned about me living room since my roommate will be moving out soon. (Also I think 2018 will be my last chance to go to WDW and still have a comfortable time before the madness that will come with Star Wars land and the 50th anniversary coming up.)

Back when I was in the WDW College Program though there were times when I did visit the parks solo so this will be nothing new to me. I think I will be more comfortable with that this time around since I'm prone to visit a lot of places by myself over the years.

And I've just been so Disney deprived! It's coming up to a decade since I was last there and I've been trying to get back but stuff ends up happening that got in the way. We got so close just last December. Too many flight problems...we never made if off the tarmac!

The best thing that will come from doing this solo to me is that I will be in complete control of the planning. I'm probably the only Disney Parks expert among my fam and friends anyway. :earboy2:

As of now, I'm still trying to decide the specific dates and resorts. I'm almost considering getting a travel agent involved. I do know that I want to be at Magic Kingdom on Halloween and do MNSSHP on that night (it will be quite a splurge). There might be other splurges involved as well. Hope I don't spoil myself silly. :cloud9:

So when should I tell the fam? :P

Hahaha I know that feeling well!!

I booked my trips for 2016 and 2017 last March but didn't tell my family until much closer to the trips (well 2017 is coming up). This is the 4th year in a row I've been for a solo trip. Wonder if the 5th time is the charm for them asking when I'm going vs me having to plan in secret :rotfl2:

After many failed attempts to go back to Disney World over the years, I've decided come hell or high water, I'm going to go back...even if I gotta do it all solo!

And I've chosen what's been one of my dream times to go: Birthday/Halloween day (my actual birthday is Oct 30th) of 2018!

Originally I was thinking of going this year but I've already done a trip to Universal just last month and I think the additional time will allow me to plan and save up the money. My family will think I'm nuts doing this solo. They think I lack a social life and they're already concerned about me living room since my roommate will be moving out soon. (Also I think 2018 will be my last chance to go to WDW and still have a comfortable time before the madness that will come with Star Wars land and the 50th anniversary coming up.)

Back when I was in the WDW College Program though there were times when I did visit the parks solo so this will be nothing new to me. I think I will be more comfortable with that this time around since I'm prone to visit a lot of places by myself over the years.

And I've just been so Disney deprived! It's coming up to a decade since I was last there and I've been trying to get back but stuff ends up happening that got in the way. We got so close just last December. Too many flight problems...we never made if off the tarmac!

The best thing that will come from doing this solo to me is that I will be in complete control of the planning. I'm probably the only Disney Parks expert among my fam and friends anyway. :earboy2:

As of now, I'm still trying to decide the specific dates and resorts. I'm almost considering getting a travel agent involved. I do know that I want to be at Magic Kingdom on Halloween and do MNSSHP on that night (it will be quite a splurge). There might be other splurges involved as well. Hope I don't spoil myself silly. :cloud9:

So when should I tell the fam? :P

What is more social than going to a park full of people, even if you go alone? Besides, you can always meet up with a fellow DISer there.

I'd mention it up front and then when they question you going alone, you can always say...well, come along then. I have found that the best way to handle it because then they're too busy explaining why they can't possibly go to criticize you for going.

It bothers me occasionally to travel solo but realistically, it's got nothing to do with how active your social life is. I realized a while back that even if I had an active social life, I'd still have trouble finding traveling companions. Either people don't want to use their holiday time off or they don't want to leave their hubby behind or they want to spend money on something entirely different. One of my friends (who is jealous of my travel) spent the equivalent amount of money just on decor last year. Another friend spends money on a personal trainer. Another friend spends money on boots. These are people who say they want to travel but don't have the money for it- well, they probably have more money than me, I just don't collect stuff or have an expensive gym membership. Or they want to travel like their parents do in deluxe hotels and I'd rather extend my trip a few weeks than do one week at 300/nt.

So basically, do what makes you happy and don't worry about it. Don't hide it either. I really can't see taking anyone's advice if they are worried about you living alone to begin with.

I'd mention it up front and then when they question you going alone, you can always say...well, come along then. I have found that the best way to handle it because then they're too busy explaining why they can't possibly go to criticize you for going.

It bothers me occasionally to travel solo but realistically, it's got nothing to do with how active your social life is. I realized a while back that even if I had an active social life, I'd still have trouble finding traveling companions. Either people don't want to use their holiday time off or they don't want to leave their hubby behind or they want to spend money on something entirely different. One of my friends (who is jealous of my travel) spent the equivalent amount of money just on decor last year. Another friend spends money on a personal trainer. Another friend spends money on boots. These are people who say they want to travel but don't have the money for it- well, they probably have more money than me, I just don't collect stuff or have an expensive gym membership. Or they want to travel like their parents do in deluxe hotels and I'd rather extend my trip a few weeks than do one week at 300/nt.

So basically, do what makes you happy and don't worry about it. Don't hide it either. I really can't see taking anyone's advice if they are worried about you living alone to begin with.

Deluxe hotels are certainly nice(I have been put up in a couple when I was a travel agent, but it's been a while), but a lot of times you can get hotels from the same company with a few less features at a reasonable price. For example, the Hyatt Regency is their flagship hotel, by Hyatt Place is nearly as nice for a third the cost, and all you are really giving up is room service and a few amenities. Hyatt is a favorite brand of mine so I used this as an example. The people that put travel first in their lives are usually the ones that prioritize experiences over material items. You don't have to have the top of the line in everything in life, but if you wanted the deluxe hotel experience, you could always do two or three nights and the rest of the time be more economical. There are always ways to work thing out. Coincidentally, most of the on property deluxe hotels run from $600 US up a night, depending on time of year, so that is equal to two nights in a moderate(except Fort Wilderness campsites, which would be nearly 12 days for that), three nights at Art of Animation, or up to six nights at a value, just for a point of comparison. It's just a matter of priorities, and for me, that is experiences over possessions.

Deluxe hotels are certainly nice(I have been put up in a couple when I was a travel agent, but it's been a while), but a lot of times you can get hotels from the same company with a few less features at a reasonable price. For example, the Hyatt Regency is their flagship hotel, by Hyatt Place is nearly as nice for a third the cost, and all you are really giving up is room service and a few amenities. Hyatt is a favorite brand of mine so I used this as an example. The people that put travel first in their lives are usually the ones that prioritize experiences over material items. You don't have to have the top of the line in everything in life, but if you wanted the deluxe hotel experience, you could always do two or three nights and the rest of the time be more economical. There are always ways to work thing out. Coincidentally, most of the on property deluxe hotels run from $600 US up a night, depending on time of year, so that is equal to two nights in a moderate(except Fort Wilderness campsites, which would be nearly 12 days for that), three nights at Art of Animation, or up to six nights at a value, just for a point of comparison. It's just a matter of priorities, and for me, that is experiences over possessions.

You've got a point, but Hyatt place is still way more than I want to spend usually. My point was that if they came along, they don't want to do it on my budget which is 50 or less a night (when it's nonDisney.) Most places- Disney included- you aren't going to find a hotel room with two beds for less than $100 a night. I can stay in any major city at a hostel for $50 or less. I'm not saying compromise isn't possible but with the people I'm talking about, it is. The problem is not that they want to stay at those hotels- it's that they don't have any more money than I do, and I don't have the money to split a $200 hotel room for 10 nights. I am totally willing to stay in separate places- I don't care how people spend their money- I just won't spend more than what I can afford.

You've got a point, but Hyatt place is still way more than I want to spend usually. My point was that if they came along, they don't want to do it on my budget which is 50 or less a night (when it's nonDisney.) Most places- Disney included- you aren't going to find a hotel room with two beds for less than $100 a night. I can stay in any major city at a hostel for $50 or less. I'm not saying compromise isn't possible but with the people I'm talking about, it is. The problem is not that they want to stay at those hotels- it's that they don't have any more money than I do, and I don't have the money to split a $200 hotel room for 10 nights. I am totally willing to stay in separate places- I don't care how people spend their money- I just won't spend more than what I can afford.

I know what you mean, but my point was really getting at is that people don't look closely enough at all the options. I usually stay on a budget, but have had some luck with Priceline(usually I bid at 40-50% off the going price for the level I want) in the past as well when traveling. This time I am camping because it will be nice and it starts cooling at the end of September. My only income is disability, but I usually have enough money when I need it(I usually have to clean out my possessions via eBay once or twice a year to keep clutter down, and will either buy myself something nice or travel with the money), plus I tend to do short trips when I don't have a lot of money. I am going to be looking at air for my September trip shortly to compare to the cost of driving down.

I'm aiming to try and keep this simple so I can get my WDW fix. It came down to either All Stars Sports or Pop Century...which would be a $100 difference for 4-5 nights. I think I'm leaning more towards Pop Century. And I'm thinking of doing 4 days (one in each park). My only real issue is when I can get a flight in. I really want to fly in late afternoon on Oct 30, maybe hit Disney Springs that night then get a good sleep so I can hit MK the following morning. The other option is an early morning flight on Oct 31st. If I do this then this could cut into MK time not knowing how long it will be till I actually get to WDW. Flight schedules are only going as far as early March atm. I have a feeling this will be the thing that kills me. :P

I'm aiming to try and keep this simple so I can get my WDW fix. It came down to either All Stars Sports or Pop Century...which would be a $100 difference for 4-5 nights. I think I'm leaning more towards Pop Century. And I'm thinking of doing 4 days (one in each park). My only real issue is when I can get a flight in. I really want to fly in late afternoon on Oct 30, maybe hit Disney Springs that night then get a good sleep so I can hit MK the following morning. The other option is an early morning flight on Oct 31st. If I do this then this could cut into MK time not knowing how long it will be till I actually get to WDW. Flight schedules are only going as far as early March atm. I have a feeling this will be the thing that kills me. :P

Well, obviously you will want a 4 park ticket, unless you want the option of a park hopper, but you should be able to find a flight without much problem. Don't forget to check economy airlines, since some of those won't appear on sites like Expedia or Orbitz.

Well, obviously you will want a 4 park ticket, unless you want the option of a park hopper, but you should be able to find a flight without much problem. Don't forget to check economy airlines, since some of those won't appear on sites like Expedia or Orbitz.

We normally fly Southwest as it is one of the cheapest anyway. I'm more concerned about when those flights will be. I work a Monday through Friday job, so I also need to decide what days I want to take off during the work week. Another option I'm considering is taking the whole week off and do Disney Sunday-Thursday. That might be a far easier option for me, but it's still a lot to consider.

We normally fly Southwest as it is one of the cheapest anyway. I'm more concerned about when those flights will be. I work a Monday through Friday job, so I also need to decide what days I want to take off during the work week. Another option I'm considering is taking the whole week off and do Disney Sunday-Thursday. That might be a far easier option for me, but it's still a lot to consider.

I understand. The route I needed on Southwest, CLT-MCO, was too expensive, but you may have better luck. I am opting for Frontier if I fly....fare would run about $70. My other option is get my car running and drive down. Dead batter in it. Either way, for me, it would seem the costs are roughly equivalent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter