• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's Good to be a Passholder :-) - a January 2020 Trip Report

Most definitely! We would LOVE to say hello!

Do you ever work a MNSSHP? Perhaps we could catch you at MK as well!

At Dine with Orcas, the trainers are on the other side of the glass from the guests. It might be possible to hang back afterward, though, and catch one of them for a chat.....the SW animal care staff are wonderful about speaking with park visitors who have questions. I'd bet your family would love the Killer Whales Up Close tour as well. It's pricey but looks amazing!! And there you would be able to chat with the trainers in a very personal setting.

There you go, @dalmation7 ! I had hoped Joanna might chime in on your Dine with Orcas question!

And Joanna....you've got to get a trial subscription just so you can watch Tiger King. It's bizarrely riveting.

While it is possible to work MNSSHP, it isn't likely (unless I traded). But it's so far in the future that I don't know my schedule yet

Yes!! I highly recommend the tour, as well as Dine

(I will see what I can do. That show is all everyone is talking about on FB)

Wow, how nice to have the sharks all too yourself. I didn't realize it was possible to be there without the moving walkway. Note to self: head to shark encounter first!

Wow, how nice to have the sharks all too yourself. I didn't realize it was possible to be there without the moving walkway. Note to self: head to shark encounter first!

It wasn't moving because it was broken (when I was there in March, it was moving again)

While it is possible to work MNSSHP, it isn't likely (unless I traded). But it's so far in the future that I don't know my schedule yet

Yes!! I highly recommend the tour, as well as Dine

(I will see what I can do. That show is all everyone is talking about on FB)

So, curious minds want to know....did you decide to get the Netflix trial and watch Tiger King?

(Another excellent series on Netflix that I highly recommend is Atypical.....we are currently watching Season 3 as we speak)

Shark Encounter is always quiet in the morning. We always try to hit it up first thing at least one day on each of our trips.

If you go later in the day, they will have the Shark Encounter photo station open....it is usually closed for the first hour or two after park opening. The pics are fun and worth a stop! Unfortunately, our timing stunk on this trip and we never did see the Sharks photos open, even in the afternoon. Perhaps it was because it was off season?

It wasn't moving because it was broken (when I was there in March, it was moving again)

Ah! That explains it! Here I thought it was just because it was so early in the day.

Saturday, January 25th: continued

From Shark Encounter, we headed back to the Waterfront for a ride on the Skytower . It was a beautiful, sunny, clear day so we knew the views would be particularly spectacular.

Admission to the Skytower used to be included with park admission, but several years ago it moved to be an add-on attraction at an additional cost. For passholders, however, it remains a complimentary perk.....which is nice (and a $5 per person savings). While I personally think it should still be included for ALL park guests (especially when its the kind of attraction that can be enjoyed by almost every visitor, regardless of their age or thrill tolerance), on the plus side, it keeps standby times low. Unless it's a very busy day, there's rarely a wait beyond the time it takes for the current ride to finish and riders to exit.

Because the ride is an add-on, you have to obtain a ticket in order to board. Tickets are obtained from the bar that sits around the back of the Tower, and there is the nicest little oasis back there which I never knew existed until the ride became a ticketed up-charge. One of these days, we are going to make the time to grab a drink from that bar and just sit and enjoy the views. Perhaps and idea for our October trip!

The bartender scanned our AP's, printed us off tickets, and we were on our way around the building to the entrance of the ride.

As we suspected, there was no wait to board save for the time the current ride needed to wrap up. Not only was there no wait, there was also hardly anyone else on board with us that morning....just one other couple. They took their side of the ride vehicle, and we took ours.

The SkyTower is the tallest observation tower in Florida and was built the same year I was born. It's been around forever, which is probably why it takes so long to get parts for the darn thing when it suffers a mechanical issue. We old girls aren't easy to fix when we're broken ;-) .

The Tower takes riders up 365 feet in the air (though the total height of the tower is 400 feet....including the flagpole). It's fully enclosed and air conditioned, so while you're a LONG way up you don't feel the height (which is important for acrophobians like moi).

See that empty parking lot above? That's a good indicator of how quiet the park was this day.

The views from the top are pretty awesome, and its a fabulous way to see the entire park. We got a great aerial peek of the construction so far of the new roller coaster, Ice Breaker.

The ride takes around 15 minutes, including the time it takes to load. It's a nice little peaceful break.

Back on the ground, we got a text from our friend who works at SeaWorld. She asked if we were in the park yet, and we responded with the affirmative (we knew she was too, as it was one of her scheduled work days). She suggested we should make our way over to Dolphin Cove, and since we had not yet had the opportunity to say hello to her since we arrived, we agreed to do just that. Besides, we were ready to admire her dolphins :-) . Who can ever get enough of them?

More to come......

I guess I need to text you to catch up on your Tiger King thoughts! it's a good distraction from all this craziness. Also there's apparently a new episode coming out on Sunday!!!!!

I had no idea that another episode was coming out!! I guess I know what we're doing tomorrow LOL.

Text away, my friend. Steve and I have been dying to know if you've ever been to Big Cat Rescue!!

So, curious minds want to know....did you decide to get the Netflix trial and watch Tiger King?

(Another excellent series on Netflix that I highly recommend is Atypical.....we are currently watching Season 3 as we speak)

Still thinking about it! However, haven't had time to do anything yet, ironically (I'm working on a photo project for 2 friends, and I am digging through 5 years' worth of pictures :oops: )

Back on the ground, we got a text from our friend who works at SeaWorld. She asked if we were in the park yet, and we responded with the affirmative (we knew she was too, as it was one of her scheduled work days). She suggested we should make our way over to Dolphin Cove, and since we had not yet had the opportunity to say hello to her since we arrived, we agreed to do just that. Besides, we were ready to admire her dolphins :-) . Who can ever get enough of them?

More to come......

This is where I saw you again! It was nice seeing you two days in a row :)

Still thinking about it! However, haven't had time to do anything yet, ironically (I'm working on a photo project for 2 friends, and I am digging through 5 years' worth of pictures :oops: )

This is where I saw you again! It was nice seeing you two days in a row :)

This self-quarantine time is a great opportunity to take care of those kinds of projects. My first task when my employer closed was to finish the photobook from our trip.

Catching up!! I cant believe it's been 2 years since we met!!

I know, right?!?!? Time flies!

Glad to have you reading along :-) .

I am so happy to see you doing another trip report!

Aw, thank you! So glad to have you reading along & joining in the chatter!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to wish you all a very blessed Easter. I can imagine it was less than ideal for most of you (we know, first hand, how hard it is to be away from family on holidays), but I hope you managed a happy day despite the circumstances. Steve and I enjoyed much of the day outside, walking the trails before the big storm hits tomorrow......we covered more than 10 miles over the course of this afternoon and evening. Caught a glimpse of these little beauties along side the main roadway on our way home tonight.

We had a non-traditional dinner.....

.....and are currently watching the bonus episode of the Tiger King.

This is the first Easter since we have been in Michigan that we haven't spent Easter Sunday at Greenfield Village, so it definitely didn't feel like a holiday, but.....it was a good day regardless. We are healthy & well, so what more could we ask for? (well, maybe some chocolate would have been nice.! Mmmmm.....a white chocolate bunny, specifically)

I will do my best to get another entry up tonight.

Saturday, January 25th: dancing with dolphins

One of the best things about the Disboards, for me, has been the opportunity to make some of the most wonderful connections with people around the USA (and even beyond). Steve and I have been blessed to meet several of the posters from these boards, and our SeaWorld friend is one of those great people.

We met this beautiful girl back in....2013 (or thereabouts). While we are able keep in touch via Facebook between trips, we try to connect with her whenever we get to Orlando, whether its meeting up with her for dinner or saying hello at the park. While we try not to interfere with her work day.....she generally has her hands full with the animals that she cares for.....it's fun for us to see her in action [I swear she has the absolute BEST job in the entire world!]. So when she messaged us to let us know where she'd be at, we were eager to head over and see her. We hustled ourselves over to Dolphin Cove where she was busy with "her" dolphins, Griffith & Nya.

The dolphins were playful that morning, and a whole group of them were swimming and splashing around the pool to the delight of park guests as the trainers readied their individual interaction stations for the day. We headed over to the guest barrier to say a quick hi and chide her about her hoodie.....we northerners were basking in the warmth and sunshine, but she found the morning to be "cool" lol ...... and she asked us to hang out for a few minutes while she took care of a few things with her dolphins. That was absolutely okay with us, as those gorgeous creatures were putting on quite a show for the growing crowd.....waving, dancing, and capturing hearts with those shining eyes and big smiles.

We never tire of watching the dolphins demonstrate their incredible intelligence through their range of behaviors. Even when they don't do what they're asked to do (and I swear sometimes that's intentional on their part.....its like they are laughing at the trainers! LOL) they are SO entertaining.

We were enjoying their antics when she motioned us back over to the side wall. We wiggled our way through the other guests who were also watching from the sidelines when she removed the rope and brought us in to the side of the pool. Once inside, she treated us to some exclusive one-on-one time with Griff & Nya that was absolutely one of the highlights of our trip.

I have to admit, it felt VERY exclusive to be in there with just the other trainers. I can only imagine what all the other people looking on were thinking. It was so exciting!!

Not only did we get up close to those two beauties (and shall I say, they love their fish as much as our cats love their Temptations!!).....

.....we got to walk them through a few of their behaviors as well. She taught us the directives to have them show us a range of their incredible skills, things such as vocalizing, spinning while holding their upper bodies out of the water, and waving their fins and tails. We definitely aren't the most seasoned dolphin trainers (ahem!), so the behaviors we received weren't always the ones that we asked for (those poor dolphins were probably thinking to themselves, these people are TERRIBLE at giving commands!!) but oh my word, it was just the most amazing time.

Our favorite skills that we were able to do with Griffith and Nya were definitely when we "danced" with them and they "sang" to us. Those two girls were the stars of the show. We literally couldn't stop smiling. And bless her heart, she captured a dozen different short video clips of our entire encounter on my phone while we just soaked up all that dolphin awesomeness. So not only did we make some of the best memories to keep close in our hearts and mind, we literally had the best memories immortalized in digital form as well. Day made, right there.

There is just no way to even begin to thank someone for being this kind.

We did a lot of wonderful things on this trip, and this was absolutely one of our favorites. An experience that was unforgettable in every single way. She downplays her awesomeness as "just another day at the office", but I tell you....this touched our hearts more than she will ever know.

We took time for a photo before we parted ways, leaving her to get on with her workday without two nuisances to slow her down any further. I'd say we took time for a "quick" photo, but Steve's selfie-taking skills are sometimes a little awkward ;-) ..... but when he has the longest arms and is the tallest (by far) of the 3 of us, he becomes Chief Selfie Photographer and we sometimes have to pack our patience. [To be fair, *I* often tend to test HIS patience as well.....let's just say I'm a bit picky about pictures with me in it!!]

It took us a few attempts but we finally got one that we are all mostly looking at the camera, it's basically in focus, and no one has their head cut off. We call that a win!

Thank you, T, for these memories. I hope you know how much we appreciate YOU.

There was a round of hugs, a tentative dinner date made for the end of the week, and then we were on our way.

Coming up: going "wild" over Jack Hanna!

You included making fun of me for wearing a hoodie. But seemed to leave the part out where you complained of having cold/numb hands after feeding dolphins. 😂😉

And you are tooo, too kind. One very small perk of the job, is letting friends and family come play with the critters. I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves.

You included making fun of me for wearing a hoodie. But seemed to leave the part out where you complained of having cold/numb hands after feeding dolphins. 😂😉

And you are tooo, too kind. One very small perk of the job, is letting friends and family come play with the critters. I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves.

Ooops, I *did* leave that part out, didn't I? :blush: Okay, so it was a tiny bit chilly that morning ;-) (but in comparison to the 30 degree weather we left behind the day prior, it was still unbelievably bee-you-tiful!). I have to say, those cold hands were oh-so-worth-it!

That "small perk" to you is the BIGGEST thing to us, my friend. You deserve all the appreciation, and more. I'm just bummed that our spring trip got axed and now we won't get a chance to enjoy dinner with you until October. Unless, of course, you feel like a summer getaway in Michigan and we can show you all the highlights of Metro Detroit?

Griff and Naia are the best! I just love those girls

Aren't they just the sweetest? But I think they have a bit of a rascally side, too LOL. You could see the mischief twinkling in their eyes!

And it looks like I butchered the spelling of Naia's name, huh? Good catch on that!

Hi Gina, I thought I would come out of lurkdom to thank you for always sharing so much information about your trips. Very useful and entertaining! We have a non-Disney trip planned for this August (hopefully it will still happen.) We plan on staying at SVR and have a reservation at Discovery Cove and also plans for SeaWorld and Aquatica. Reading your trip report is making me all the more excited for it!

Amy

Chimaire - you have one of the BEST JOBS!!!! Between the Penguins and Dolphins - I think I could spend the day between the two areas and be happy!!

I *heart* Penguins - Sam (my hubby) even adopted me a penguin through WWF for Valentines Day a few years agao and we keep up the support

Hi Gina, I thought I would come out of lurkdom to thank you for always sharing so much information about your trips. Very useful and entertaining! We have a non-Disney trip planned for this August (hopefully it will still happen.) We plan on staying at SVR and have a reservation at Discovery Cove and also plans for SeaWorld and Aquatica. Reading your trip report is making me all the more excited for it!

Amy

Hi Amy! Thank you SO much for joining in!

Your trip sounds fantastic! (my favorite resort, AND some of my favorite parks!) I have confidence that your vacation will happen as scheduled.....I really do think life will have leveled out by August. Fingers crossed that all goes as planned!

If you have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to chime in :-) .

Chimaire - you have one of the BEST JOBS!!!! Between the Penguins and Dolphins - I think I could spend the day between the two areas and be happy!!

I *heart* Penguins - Sam (my hubby) even adopted me a penguin through WWF for Valentines Day a few years agao and we keep up the support

You should definitely try to do SeaWorld's "Penguins Up Close" tour on your next visit to the park. If you're a penguin lover, that tour will have you over the moon! It's so fun!

Saturday, January 25th: more dolphins!

Okay, so I got a bit ahead of myself apparently (oops!). I thought we were up to the point in the day of heading to see Jack Hanna, but I nearly missed a step along the way. That's what happens when I start reminiscing about dolphins ;-) .... I lose my focus and end up in la-la land.

Getting back on track, we'll start things off here:

Once we wrapped up things up with Griffith and Naia, we checked our phones and saw we still had a tidy bit of time to kill before we headed over to Nautilus Theater to see Jungle Jack's animal show, so we opted to keep the dolphin lovin' going and head over for the morning showing of Dolphin Days.

While it was nice and quiet earlier that morning, the masses had descended on the park as we had been captivated by Griffith and Naia, and Dolphin Theater was PACKED [not only was Jack Hanna in town, it was also an Inside Look weekend....so there were LOTS of great reasons to visit!]. Luckily, one of the perks of our new Platinum annual passes is free reserved seating at the shows in all 11 parks, so even on that busy Saturday we were able to get the best seats in the house: dead center, just outside of the splash zone. Perfect!!

This show is hands-down my favorite show at SeaWorld. I know most folks tend to rank Orca Encounter (the killer whale show) as the premium show at the park, but Dolphin Days outshines Orca Encounter for me. It's so fun, so upbeat, and has so much energy it just captivates me from beginning to end.

The dolphins in this show always seem to be having the time of their lives. The jumps are huge, the splashes are impressive, and the full house that morning was totally into it.....clapping and cheering with every flip, dive and fin wave.

While we didn't know it at the time, we actually got to see one of the last shows where the trainers would be allowed to be pushed through the water on their feet by the nose of the dolphins. SeaWorld announced right after our trip that they would be discontinuing that behavior going forward. It was always impressive to see, but I'm sure the show will be adapted so well that guests will never miss that segment going forward. I'll be interested to see, on our October trip, what they choose to replace it with instead.

And as if the dolphins aren't amazing enough on their own, the birds are always a show-stopper too.

Years ago, when SeaWorld changed the format of their dolphin show (retiring Blue Horizons and introducing Dolphin Days), I was happy to see they retired most of the "artistic" elements (such as the acrobats and outlandish costuming.....both seemed ill placed and a poor fit). I was relieved, however, that they opted to work the birds into the new format.....they continue to be a perfect compliment (and contrast) to all those beautiful dolphins. Watching them soar above the stadium and into the crowd is breathtaking!

This show is ALWAYS over too soon. It's one of those things that I wish would be doubly as long (and I suppose, even then, I likely still wouldn't want it to end).

Once the show concluded and we exited the packed stadium with the masses, we had just enough time to grab a quick bite to eat before our date with Jack Hanna. Popping over to Voyagers Smokehouse, we whisked through a surprisingly short line (considering the growing crowds in the park) and picked ourselves up some hearty SW-style barbecue.

When we purchased our annual passes back on the Blue Friday sale, one of the incentives being offered (along with the lower price) was a free meal voucher with each AP purchased. While the voucher didn't include a beverage, it didn't have many other restrictions......so we were able to redeem it for these two entrees (one rib sampler and one brisket sampler), two of the most expensive quick-service meals in the park.

The food was good, but not the best we've ever had (either at Voyagers nor at SeaWorld). The portion sizes were definitely smaller than we have been served at Voyagers in the past, but it was still more than enough food. For an essentially free meal (hey, we would have purchased the passes even without that specific special offer) we were definitely not complaining. I have to give special mention to the chicken.....much as I'm generally a brisket girl, that chicken was the best-tasting part of the meal. Delish!

Coming up: Jack Hanna! (and this time, I mean it ;-) LOL)

Edited to add: a huge shout out to @bankr63 for his tech support regarding the proper orientation of my photos. Y'all have him to thank for being able to see all my pics the "right" way up. You rock, my friend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter