Jan 1-5 Holiday decorations still up?

dotterson

Mouseketeer
HI,

We're thinking we need a Disney break. Are the holiday decorations still up? Do they still have holiday stuff happening????

Thanks,

d

The removal process starts on jan 2 I believe and I'm not sure how long it takes to get everyhing down...but it doesnt take as long as it takes to get everything up...

Wow. I guess we better get in gear and go quickly. I imagine it's hard to book the 31st, tho...

I wonder if something like the B52s will be there. Anyone know????

d

I don't know if last year was an exception, but all of the Christmas decorations were still up when we left WDW on Jan. 4 of this year. They were still playing Christmas music in some areas on Jan. 3. :p The decorations are breathtaking. :eek:

We're heading down again for Christmas/NYE, leaving for home on Jan. 4. Looking forward to seeing the beautiful decorations again.

Can't help you out regarding the B52s. Sorry!

Christmas/NYE week is obviously very busy and crowded, but the crowds become quite a bit smaller starting on Jan. 2. I wish I could stay longer than Jan. 4 and really enjoy the smaller crowds, but I don't have that as a vacation option at work.

In your shoes, I'd probably try to nail down dates and then call right away to try to get a ressie. If you tried to arrive for NYE, it could be a little tight trying to get a room for NYE on property at this point. Not sure, but that's my guess. After that night, you should be fine depending on where you're hoping to stay.

Good luck! :D

Thanks so much for the replies. I actually think driving down on the 1st wouldn't be bad. (We hate crowds, so NYE might not be an issue.) I have to nail my hubbie down on the dates and what he wants to do...

We're DVC, so my first move is seeing what they have...

d

While they may start taking down the decorations right after New Year's, you'll still be able to see plenty of them during the first week of January. IMHO, you do not need to check in on NYE just to see Holiday decorations. At least that was my experience when we visited 1/5/2001 - 1/12/2001. There were still lots of the decorations up when we arrived, but most were gone by the time we left.

Enjoy your trip - hope you get good weather!

My duaghter is afraid we don't have enough time to plan(!) We might opt for Spring Break, but.......

At least, we don't have to worry if all the decorations will be gone. I would think the crowds might be better right after 1/1.

d

When we were there for NYE, decorations stayed up and holiday songs played well beyond the time I wanted to see or hear them. I am the type person that is ready for a holiday to be over when it is over, but the songs just kept on coming. LOL

I do get sick of the songs too. The decorations, tho are another matter!

Oh well... We have to figure out the logistics and school holidays too. I would hate to wait until April. (Our local Disney Store re-opened this week and that made the need to go even clear!!!!)

:Pinkbounc

Let's see what happens with hours. Last year
(2002/2003) the MK was open till midnight
even after NYE. I think that the way that
NYE fell meant that a lot of guests decided to stay
later and enjoy the weekend. Almost all the
Christmas decorations were up until we left
on 1/4, including the stuff in the parks.

It's busy NYE, but 1/1 and 1/2 are GREAT!
the parks are not busy at all on those days...

GO! it's a great time to go, even though it's busy,
but NOT as busy as before 9/11.. WDW's business
is down about 20% from before 9/11.. sigh.

Thanks again!

I hope the DVC reservations aren't too busy Mon.

I bought another Unofficial Guide. (Didn't want to get the 2003 Passporter since I don't think a lot changed...) Got to nail my hubbie with the dates... Need something to look forward to!

d

The stuff should still be up, except for the Osborne Lights, which aren't being shown this year. I hope it's all still there, because I'll be in WDW Jan 4-8, and my wife has never seen the decorations.

Thanks for reading the Unofficial Guide!

Len

I would definitely be lost without the Guide and Passporter, as well as the wonderful websites!

We had a TERRIFIC 40th B-day for my hubbie last year!

d

DH and I are taking a trip, without kids this time, to celebrate my 40th b-day. We'll be there 1/3-1/7 and I was hoping that the decorations would still remain through the end of the weekend. Also, after reading these boards, sounds like we'll each have to pack 2 suitcases, one full of warm weather clothes and another with winter stuff. Coming from New England, even if it drops down to the 50's, it will still feel warm to us.

I have hotel, plane and car reservations all made, but now I'm impatiently waiting for January park hours and scouring the boards daily for tidbits of information. Curse Disney for stalling my itinerary planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter