January 2021 W.I.S.H. - New Year, New Goals

Hooray for driver licenses!! Congratulations. :car::car:

Last night I was so proud of myself. It was getting late and I hadn't taken my walk. I had a million things to do. I was coming up with plan Bs and telling myself I was just too busy when I stopped. I reminded myself that I had decided to set this 20 minutes aside for me each and every day. Everything else could wait/be adjusted. This was me time. So I put on my raingear, grabbed a flashlight and walked!

I usually drink water to stop the cravings. Of course, my main strategy is not to buy the junky food in the first place! Says the woman who at Costco last night bought a giant container of Reeses Pieces!

I think that as with most things, distraction can be a powerful tool or a crutch depending on how you use it. The way they've called out sounds really good, use it to ride the wave until you get to a place where you can process the emotions... the negative would be to keep distracting yourself so that you don't have to deal with the emotions. I've been over-distracting and not doing the things I need to do, so this is a great reminder.

My energy and motivation levels are returning after being back on the thyroid meds for a couple days, and my mood is lightning, so I feel like I can get back on track getting stuff done.

Topic Tuesday: Cravings

The first time I heard about using distraction was from my old doctor. Unfortunately his bedside manner left a lot to be desired, so I didn't take his suggestions seriously. I took his comments to be
judgmental, and if I would just go out and take a walk instead of eating that bag of potato chips, I would be skinny.

Noom framed it in a more helpful and positive way. I still have work to do with sitting in my emotions. But, I have used some distraction techniques like reading a chapter in a book; playing "Words with Friends" on my iPhone; and when I'm really desperate, chewing gum.

I'm feeling angry right now. This week, we are 100% remote teaching from home. On January 11th, we go back to school with a full class of students in PreK and Kindergarten. Every other grade 1-12 is hybrid. Apparently, our classrooms are larger, so we can accommodate a full class of students. I haven't had them all at once since before Halloween, and I never felt safe. So many of them had trouble keeping their masks on. I had to wear a face shield in addition to my mask in order to protect myself. It was miserable. Hybrid was much easier on me because it was much easier to control behaviors like appropriate mask-wearing with only half of the class present.

My principal emailed the K and 1st grade teachers (not sure why 1st grade was included) asking us to vote as a grade level on whether we would prefer to return hybrid or with a full class. Apparently it was optional. These stupid fools voted to return with a full class.:mad: They are all very young and probably don't feel at risk. These are the teachers who still eat together in the tiny teachers' lounge with their masks off and think nothing about wearing their masks below their noses..."Oops! Sorry! I forgot to fix my mask. hahahaha." Yeah. Not funny. You get Covid, you don't die. I, unfortunately, am at a much higher risk. I have a lot more to lose...like my life.

Yeah. I'm really mad right now.

I'm feeling angry right now. This week, we are 100% remote teaching from home. On January 11th, we go back to school with a full class of students in PreK and Kindergarten. Every other grade 1-12 is hybrid. Apparently, our classrooms are larger, so we can accommodate a full class of students. I haven't had them all at once since before Halloween, and I never felt safe. So many of them had trouble keeping their masks on. I had to wear a face shield in addition to my mask in order to protect myself. It was miserable. Hybrid was much easier on me because it was much easier to control behaviors like appropriate mask-wearing with only half of the class present.

My principal emailed the K and 1st grade teachers (not sure why 1st grade was included) asking us to vote as a grade level on whether we would prefer to return hybrid or with a full class. Apparently it was optional. These stupid fools voted to return with a full class.:mad: They are all very young and probably don't feel at risk. These are the teachers who still eat together in the tiny teachers' lounge with their masks off and think nothing about wearing their masks below their noses..."Oops! Sorry! I forgot to fix my mask. hahahaha." Yeah. Not funny. You get Covid, you don't die. I, unfortunately, am at a much higher risk. I have a lot more to lose...like my life.

My mom has been aggravated to with some of the teachers in her school. They are all eating together and going out after school. They also are not wearing their masks properly if at all. I can see where you would be aggravated. I hope it gets better sooner.

My mom has been aggravated to with some of the teachers in her school. They are all eating together and going out after school. They also are not wearing their masks properly if at all. I can see where you would be aggravated. I hope it gets better sooner.
Thanks. I'm sorry that your mother is going through this too.

I wish I could at least be vaccinated. After the big rush for us to sign up for the vaccinations, now there's this waiting and waiting for it with no end in sight. I have felt so safe at home. I really dread going back.

I hope things get better for your mother and all of us, for that matter.

Topic Tuesday:

I usually deal with food cravings by having just a little of what I really want. I'm a big believer that "the first three bites are the best," so portion control isn't usually my weak spot. (Boredom is, though! So I agree with distraction as a good strategy.)

As for feelings - distraction again (or sleep!) I am a slow processor, so I need time to digest feelings before I really react to them. I also often use writing to work through things.

Topic Tuesday:

I usually deal with food cravings by having just a little of what I really want. I'm a big believer that "the first three bites are the best," so portion control isn't usually my weak spot. (Boredom is, though! So I agree with distraction as a good strategy.)

As for feelings - distraction again (or sleep!) I am a slow processor, so I need time to digest feelings before I really react to them. I also often use writing to work through things.
All of this:love:

Topic Tuesday

My cravings seem to be worse in the evening-probably because I am busy during the day. There have been times I go upstairs to watch tv, take a shower or read just to get away from the kitchen! Stopping to think about whether I am just bored, stressed or thirsty helps.

My Woohoo is we drove down to our place in OC today and plan to stay through the weekend. Tomorrow is going to be cool but sunny, so looking forward to walking on the beach tomorrow! And I am making MickeyMom76’s chicken chili which is actually 0 points on WW-my husband loves it!

Woohoo - it’s Wednesday! The halfway point to a very long week!

Woohoo - I’ve been sticking to my eating plan, bypassing the cravings and the scale has gradually gone down this week (as opposed to jumping up the last two weeks during break!)

Woohoo - my friend (age 44) who was hospitalized with Covid pneumonia is home and her breathing improved enough that she didn’t need to be on oxygen at home (as originally thought). She’s still got a ways to go before coming back to school. But she’s finally improving!

:hug: I’m so sorry! This is so hard! Hopefully you can get your vaccine soon. Our school nurse is getting hers on Friday. That’s the first I’ve heard about it in our school so far.

Thanks. I'm sorry that your mother is going through this too.

I wish I could at least be vaccinated. After the big rush for us to sign up for the vaccinations, now there's this waiting and waiting for it with no end in sight. I have felt so safe at home. I really dread going back.

I hope things get better for your mother and all of us, for that matter.

There has been no word yet at my moms school abut the vaccine. Our governor has said that teachers are next in line. He did say yesterday that 60% of staff working in long term care facilities and nursing homes have decided not to get the vaccine. My niece and my dad's cousin (she is my age though), who both work in nursing homes got theirs a week or two ago. Though my dad's cousin had a bad case of COVID over Thanksgiving. Thankfully she never had to stay in the hospital but had gone to the ER a few times. I am guessing that by the end of January the teachers will be getting the vaccine.

My Woohoo is we drove down to our place in OC today and plan to stay through the weekend. Tomorrow is going to be cool but sunny, so looking forward to walking on the beach tomorrow! And I am making MickeyMom76’s chicken chili which is actually 0 points on WW-my husband loves it!

2nd Woo Hoo! It's in the 30's and partly cloudy, so DD and I are headed to the beach for a walk. I can't wait.

3rd Woo Hoo! My new treadmill is being delivered on Monday the 11th from 12-4pm. So while I'm back at school with kids trying not to stress out, DH will be accepting delivery and hopefully assembling the treadmill.

3rd Woo Hoo! My new treadmill is being delivered on Monday the 11th from 12-4pm. So while I'm back at school with kids trying not to stress out, DH will be accepting delivery and hopefully assembling the treadmill.

I was so excited when ours got delivered in the fall. We put it together ourselves as well. I am tell you it is a 2 person job for ours. We have a pretty heavy duty one that you would see at gyms though. It was aggravating to put together because of the awkward way you would have to put the screws in. I hope your DH can have it put together for you when you get home.

Woohoo...

... yesterday my chiropractor was finally able to pop the top vertebrae in my neck. I still have the headache this morning but my head is sitting differently on my neck and everything is moving freely so I'm hopeful this is the turning point.

... we've had several days of heavy rain, the fire hose variety where Mother Nature has a hose pointed right at us, but it is clearing and we may actually see the sun tomorrow.

... my mood continues to improve, hurrah for the thyroid meds.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter