January 2022 Trip Reports

Well thank you for the spot, Kris & Bert!

Looks like we will be checking in same as you, Jim.

Too bad our paths won't cross yet again, Ed. The 1500 loop will forever be my favorite.

I'll be just missing you Barb and Bill. Thought about you recently. We took your overdue advice and went up to Kalahari for a few days before the masses let out for xmas break. It was wonderful! So much more for the kiddos than Great Wolf.

Melissa you might have picked up my open spot. Just want to remind you Sunday Jan 9 is marathon Sunday. You should be good going to the fort, especially if you get in in the afternoon. If you are an early bird check your route. Back way in should be fine but world drive will be backed up.

FYI I think we might try and visit the fort Sunday afternoon will be good for my walking.
We'll let you know where we are. Ian's flight doesn't get until 1:45pm now, so we will be hanhging out at the Fort until evening.
Looks like we will be checking in same as you, Jim.
That's great Melissa. We finally get to meet in person even though we are only a couple of hours apart. I'm also hoping for the 1800 loop. @FtW Mike is already there. I'll add you to the 1st post
And Jim......boy that's some upgrade on your camping accommodations. You're fancy now!
Just a little upgrade. Preparing for retirement in a few years.

j

Can someone please confirm the pool refurbishments aren't happening until 2023? The website says 2023, but is that possibly a type O? They usually don't provide that much notice.
Everything I can find still says 2023. That is strange to have over a year notice, but I have usually had a notice in MDE about a closure impacting my reservation and I don't see one. A few trips ago, the little pool was closed and I had several notices (maybe email too) about it impacting my reservation. Hopefully the weather will be nice enough for the pool.

j

Last edited:
Well, the weather is predicted to get back to normal by the time we leave. I was debating when to de-winterize. I was considering filling the fresh tank about half way, flushing the lines the day before we leave and just run the furnaces until Friday afternoon. Here is the weather forecast for Thursday the 7th and Friday the 8th when we leave after work.

With Friday not even getting above freezing, I may just put a half a tank in the fresh tank right before we pull out and decide when to flush the lines. We are planning on bookdocking in a Sam's lot in Clarksville, TN on Friday night and then get to central Florida on Saturday. It can get as cold as it wants at home after that.

j

We'll let you know where we are. Ian's flight doesn't get until 1:45pm now, so we will be hanhging out at the Fort until evening.
sweet because I think Sunday will be the best to visit. I was trying to convince myself to go to a park but I am afraid I would only spend a couple hours there. kind of expensive for a few hours. I have a dinner ressie at Jaleo that night at 5:30. Probably head over in the afternoon and walk slowly then head to the springs. Plus can see @ilovedisneymm and @FtW Mike.

we are planning a full day at Epcot Monday. Tradition after the marathon. It starts in Mexico for margaritas and chips with guacamole. Then to Tutto Gusto for wine and prosciutto. Of course we have dinner with @Teamubr at Space 220 that night.

Too bad our paths won't cross yet again, Ed. The 1500 loop will forever be my favorite.

Darn it. But I'm happy that you were able to get several Fort days on relatively short notice.

We booked a couple days in January 2023 that would be a non-park trip for us also.

You'll enjoy meeting the DISsers who will be there in person.

Bama Ed

PS - Jim, I just realized that I will have 4 camping trips with you in less than a year coming up. May in the MidWest DISMeet, June in the Pigeon Forge DISMeet, July in the Marceline DISMeet, and this coming January at the Fort. You can't shake me! :sad2: I'm like a bad penny - I keep turning up.

PS - Jim, I just realized that I will have 4 camping trips with you in less than a year coming up. May in the MidWest DISMeet, June in the Pigeon Forge DISMeet, July in the Marceline DISMeet, and this coming January at the Fort. You can't shake me! :sad2: I'm like a bad penny - I keep turning up.
You say that like it was a coincidence. :)

And I wouldn't say bad penny. Maybe good nickle.

We are one small step closer. Cover is off. Coach started, generator exercised. Starting to make a check list and start piling things I don't want to forget. I have a jug of DEF and 6 gallons of RV antifreeze if I decide to winterize before heading north again all sitting in the garage.

2 weeks from today we'll be there.

20211226_115847_copy_2304x1296.jpg

j

Jim, I'm going to wait until after New Years to start any kind of prep work. But you've got me "In The Mood" (to quote Glenn Miller). ED

Dumb question. For those that live in Florida or have been to the Fort in January, do you need sunscreen in January?

Up here, even sunny days with temps in the 60s, you don't have to worry too much in January. The angle of the sun and the short days don't seem to allow you to burn as easy.

I keep sunscreen in the coach, but didn't know if I should throw more in for a 2 week stay.

j

When I checkin in Christmas night, nothing was available for January or February no matter now I manipulated the dates, except for those 5 nights.

Well, I checked in this morning and was able to pick up Friday night too. I'm not a fan of the wild weekends (shocking I know), but it sure would be nice to be able to stay the full week and include Friday and Friday night and check out on Saturday.

"Aaaaadd a day" (in my singing voice) is what we would call it before. At least 50% of our prior trips included "aaaadd a day" at the end. Too much rain? - add a day. Too cold but the weather looks better at the end of our trip? -add a day. I'm having too much of a good time and don't want to leave? -add a day!

And so I did. I added a day.

Can I merge these reservations on my own? I saw the other day where someone was on hold trying to change their activity reservation for over 2.5 hours. I'm not doing that! That sounds insane. Yes, they are the same type of site. I figure I can just tell them at check in and work it out then.

What about old magic bands? Can I just bring our last set and have them active them? I want the kids to be able to charge things and not worry about gift cards or cash.

The kids use the golf cart to haul water and do chores with.
"Kids, knock the cow, sheep, and chicken crap off the golf cart, it's going to Disney!"
"On second thought, order new tires, these are shanty and need replaced."
Hubby ordered new golf cart tires.
He did some man things to the camper the other day. Changed this. Fixed that. Add a new this......I don't even know.

I typically would be running around like a crazy lady getting my house in order and everything juuuuuust right, but instead I'm focusing on everyone staying extra healthy. Eat your salad.....EAT IT. Drink your OJ. Is that regular vitamin C or the new extra absorbent vitamin C? Did you take all your daily vitamins, did you, DID YOU? Elderberry, elderberry, elderberry. And lets not forget if someone does get sick? Honey, we need to make some bone broth to bring.....pack everything healthy!!!! Be prepared for everything!

Maybe I'm getting older, maybe I just care less, I don't know. One thing for sure, everyone needs something....one kid needs some shorts for the trip, two kid need a new swimsuit for the trip, two need vacation like shoes, I'd like a few new items for the trip too. But thanks to the world now sucking big time at their jobs, the lack of quality in everything, shipping delays, and whatever less than quality like crap they'll send.......I've decided we are just going to go shopping at The Meadows, The Trading Post, and if my anxiety can handle it, Down Town Disney to fill in the holes. I have no patience anymore, so stopping at strip malls along the way hoping to find something that works at a Gap is done. Need something? Then march your happy butt on up to the Disney bubble and fetch it. The End.

You cannot merge reservations on your own, Melissa. A phone reservation CM should be able to do it.

However, I don't really see the need since it's at the end of your trip. Merging helps when you're trying to book ADR's at a 60+10 window, for example (especially when the short ressie is at the front of your vacation). What I've done in those cases is, when checking in at the Fort, tell the CM about the second reservation, same level, don't want to move, and they will fix it so you don't even have to come back to check in (although you might ask if you need to do early on-line check-in). If you've had 3 or more reservations, I would merge. But you have 2 and the second is a single, last day, nah. Don't see the need.

Magic Bands will work. If you ever did things that used the active chip in them (meeting characters so they could greet you by name, ride photos), those may not work (active chip only lasts a year or so) depending on the age of your MB's. But the passive chip (pressing against the gold ball to enter a park or the FW Comfort Station after hours or a souvenir/food purchase charged to your folio) should always work. So bring the old MB's. We're bringing ours. Nothing to activate.

"Add a day" is a nice concept.

Bama Ed

ps - Need something? Then march your happy butt on up to the Disney bubble and fetch it :rotfl2:

Last edited:
May be 5 Ed, if Jim comes to Gulf Shores in April

I've got April 14-28 (mid-week to mid-week) booked but won't use it all. Prolly will use the full week in the middle and a few of the rest but then will drop any remainder.

I have April 16-24th book at GSP right now, but it is dependent on going to Europe and if DW can work from there and or money. Europe is looking 50/50 right now. Even if we can get flights, we don't want to go just to not be able to do much. Donna doesn't have enough vacation time for 2 weeks at the Fort in January, 3 weeks in Europe and a week at GSP, so she will need/want to work some of that. And then there is the fuel, food, entertainment. GSP is a cheap week in the grand scheme, so I would like to keep it as long as Donna can work some.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter