January Closures

FeliciaB23

Mouseketeer
Hi! I’m planning a trip for late January 2025 and am wondering if there are any rides that are down for refurb during this time? Obviously no one knows what will happen over a year from now but I am curious if historically there are rides that go down every January.

For example, I see the Skyliner will be down in January 2024. Does this happen every January?

and is Splash usually down for refurb then? Or maybe since it’s re-opening as Tiana’s in 2024 it might not be closed in Jan since it’s new?

Any insight from the experienced January park-goers will be helpful! Thanks.

You can see any announced closures and refurbishments in the MDE app.

On the main screen, scroll down to the location where you can see the 4 park icons and the MK Park Hours for today.

Select 'All Hours'

Using the calendar, locate the date of your visit and select that.

The park hours will be displayed. You can scroll down and a list of announced closures and refurbishments in the parks will be displayed.

You can see any announced closures and refurbishments in the MDE app.

On the main screen, scroll down to the location where you can see the 4 park icons and the MK Park Hours for today.

Select 'All Hours'

Using the calendar, locate the date of your visit and select that.

The park hours will be displayed. You can scroll down and a list of announced closures and refurbishments in the parks will be displayed.

Yes I know how to do that :) I was wondering if there are any specific rides or attractions that go down consistently at the same time every year.

Another example would be how IASM and HM in DL go down every August and January to add/remove the holiday layover. Just curious if anything in WDW goes under refurb EVERY January.

Hi! I’m planning a trip for late January 2025 and am wondering if there are any rides that are down for refurb during this time? Obviously no one knows what will happen over a year from now but I am curious if historically there are rides that go down every January.

For example, I see the Skyliner will be down in January 2024. Does this happen every January?

and is Splash usually down for refurb then? Or maybe since it’s re-opening as Tiana’s in 2024 it might not be closed in Jan since it’s new?

Any insight from the experienced January park-goers will be helpful! Thanks.
Historically Splash goes down for maintenance. Could be a week, could be a month. Could as you said not happen at all this time.

Skyliner has been down the last few years at that time but as soon as you think you've got the exact week and announcement window nailed down - BAM! the mouse goes and changes it up. (Seriously, people were MAD that it ended up a week earlier this round). If you're depending on the Skyliner you might have to be flexible moving your dates around on a kinda short notice.

The skyliner has been refurbed in January each of the last few years!
The Skyliner closure has been announced to be:
January 16, 2024 through January 21, 2024, Disney Skyliner will be closed for routine maintenance - all 3 lines.
Disney Skyliner service to and from Disney’s Riviera Resort and International Gateway at EPCOT will remain closed through January 27, 2024.
During this time, complimentary bus service will be available.
Historically Splash goes down for maintenance. Could be a week, could be a month. Could as you said not happen at all this time.

Skyliner has been down the last few years at that time but as soon as you think you've got the exact week and announcement window nailed down - BAM! the mouse goes and changes it up. (Seriously, people were MAD that it ended up a week earlier this round). If you're depending on the Skyliner you might have to be flexible moving your dates around on a kinda short notice.
Splash Mountain closed permanently almost a year ago. It is being re-imagined into Tiana's Bayou, scheduled to open later in 2024.

Splash Mountain closed permanently almost a year ago. It is being re-imagined into Tiana's Bayou, scheduled to open later in 2024.
We know - OP is asking about general closure trends for January because they are going in 2025 after it's been reopened.
You keep giving them dates and info for 2024 closures which is a great data point but not the question they are asking.

We know - OP is asking about general closure trends for January because they are going in 2025 after it's been reopened.
You keep giving them dates and info for 2024 closures which is a great data point but not the question they are asking.
I would hope that if TBA really does open in “late 2024” that it doesn’t need to immediately go down for refurb in January of ‘25.

Thank you for clarifying!

We're still learning about Jan 2024 closures so it's impossible to know what will be closed in Jan 2025!!

Thank you for clarifying!

We're still learning about Jan 2024 closures so it's impossible to know what will be closed in Jan 2025!!

Yes I realize we don’t know what will be closed in 2025 (see my original post). I was just curious if anything goes down consistently, year after year, in January.

So far it seems Splash and Skyliner are the only two which is great. (Though again, splash is questionable if it doesn’t re-open until late 2024!)

Possibly Kali River Rapids and Big Thunder as you posted they will both be down in January of 2024.

Does anyone know if BTMR and KRR were down for routine maintenance in January 2023 or January 2022?

Thanks!

Reactions: dol
Yes I realize we don’t know what will be closed in 2025 (see my original post). I was just curious if anything goes down consistently, year after year, in January.

So far it seems Splash and Skyliner are the only two which is great. (Though again, splash is questionable if it doesn’t re-open until late 2024!)

Possibly Kali River Rapids and Big Thunder as you posted they will both be down in January of 2024.

Does anyone know if BTMR and KRR were down for routine maintenance in January 2023 or January 2022?

Thanks!

According to Tom Bricker, BTMRR does usually go down for routine maintenance around the same time (mid Jan) each year: https://www.disneytouristblog.com/disney-world-refurbishments/

(If you don't already read his blog, it is a great reference for all things Disney Parks, highly recommend it!)

Thanks!
Kali does tend to go down each January for refurb since the weather is colder.

I so hope the BTMR refurb doesn't get pushed back by a few weeks🫣, but I know that it could happen, you just don't ever know. Going during the off season can have compromises at times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter